• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unknown Jigglypuff Pound Tech?

hoppyKnitz

Smash Cadet
I came across this during a fight against a CPU and was only able to replicate it a few times. Essentially what it is is a pound without moving forward (much), and if anyone can see into this more and maybe consistently perform it, please tell me about it on this thread. Or just feel free to share your thoughts on it, though it's honestly pretty useless by itself. :3 thx

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Right, so I've noticed this happening myself for some time now, but admittedly haven't bothered looking into it until seeing you bring it up. I don't have much time this morning, but here's what I've found from the little bit of labbing I've done (if anyone discovers I'm wrong with any of this, feel free to correct):

Direction doesn't matter; it works going left and right.
Pound input angle doesn't matter; it happens with downward, normal, and upward pounds.
It happens on multiple stages (tested both Battlefield and Final D).
It can happen on platforms.
Air momentum doesn't matter; it happened at times with no momentum outside of pound's natural movement, with backward momentum, and also full forward momentum.
It happened out of FHs, SHs, and as your video displayed, falling from greater heights.
Using Jigglypuff's little forward flip animation after SHing as a guide, it appeared to happen most often shortly before Jigglypuff was completely upside down.
Similarly, a silent landing pound (normal pound with absolutely no sound effect) happened very often at around the same point. In fact, this happened more often than the no-momentum pound.

I'm going to guess Jigglypuff has to be at a very specific distance from the stage/platform for this to happen, and I couldn't find any evidence of consistency (at least not yet, even with 1/2 and 1/4 speed), so... I guess it's at least useful to realize the possibility of this happening if it's something that could mess with a player's planned execution.

I didn't get to test with FFing, slopes, reverse pound, or while hitting an opponent/object.

Hope this helps to answer some questions.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
It's a bug that has been in game since the corrin/bayo patch that occurs when you use pound while landing, and most people wish it would get fixed because it generally leads to death rather than anything useful.

hoppyKnitz

Smash Cadet
It's a bug that has been in game since the corrin/bayo patch that occurs when you use pound while landing, and most people wish it would get fixed because it generally leads to death rather than anything useful.
Is it a bug tho? cuz if ur right about it being from the corrin/bayo patch, that'd mean that jiggly was changed during the patch? Either that or it's been around for a longer while right

Thx for the replies though, I don't have any specific like questions about this pound thing other than what it is, kinda thought it could be utilized as a legit tech or something, maybe it can but idk lol

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
Is it a bug tho? cuz if ur right about it being from the corrin/bayo patch, that'd mean that jiggly was changed during the patch? Either that or it's been around for a longer while right

Thx for the replies though, I don't have any specific like questions about this pound thing other than what it is, kinda thought it could be utilized as a legit tech or something, maybe it can but idk lol
Unless someone can 100% confirm that it was happening before that patch, that's when most people started noticing it, wasn't happening to people beforehand. I'm pretty sure that patch did not change anything about puff, it just changed something else that affects pound's momentum if you use it when you're landing or really close to the ground.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
it's always been in the game, it's caused by using side b while aerial, but the hitbox not coming out until you are grounded. You are on the ground, but it does an aerial pound movement wise.

Top Bottom