• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

blackghost

Smash Champion
it has to be collete or llyod. wouldrather see collette only one other mage in the game and (s)he sucks.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I think it could be going like this, having each of the third-party companies have one cartoony character in the launch version of the games (as shown with Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic) then each get a "humanoid" character as DLC (with Lloyd Irving, Ryu and Bayonetta?).

It never striked me before that the three third-party companies that played a part in Smash 4 are exactly the same that collaborated to create Project X Zone (as well as its sequel).
I agree here im wondering if that means we will get more reps from those companies as Project X zone 2 gets closer. I kinda figured that the inclusion of Akira, Zero, X, and heihachi was a dirrect collab [with Ryu] that references Project X zone. this ofcourse gives me hope that Valkyrie and other heroes may also arrive.
I really want Lloyd in Smash but Im starting to worry that upcomming games [like the aformentioned X zone 2] are gonna put him more on the backburner due to the lack of Tales of content on nintendo systems.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I started playing Tales of Symphonia. So far it's pretty fun and Lloyd is quite likeable as a character (although I don't think he's going to be dethroning Stahn and Yuri as my favourite Tales protagonists any time soon).

One of the most fun parts of this game so far is the ability to do this with spells;

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Slow to the punch as usual Pika ;)

But yeah, somehow I knew we'd get another requested character. Also, could anyone translate the rest of the twitter posts?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Tekken out, Tales out. Maybe my dreams of a digimon as the 2nd Namco rep really will come true.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Um, wow. This was out of the blue. I never really expected to see Lloyd represented in an official smash title in any way. It's nice, but I'm not sure how to feel about it. I've wanted Lloyd in Smash since I first played Tales of Symphonia more than a decade ago (man, it feels weird to be able to say that). He was basically my dream character, that I thought would never have a chance. Seeing him as a Mii fighter... well... I'm glad he's in Smash, but I can't say I would have ever wanted it to end up like this. I'm still going to buy the costume, and probably pick up Mii Swordfighter as well... but it will be bittersweet. Oh well, better than nothing at all I guess...

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
I really don't think he'll get in anymore.
My condolences to you guys.
You had a good run.
Maybe next time.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Um, wow. This was out of the blue. I never really expected to see Lloyd represented in an official smash title in any way. It's nice, but I'm not sure how to feel about it. I've wanted Lloyd in Smash since I first played Tales of Symphonia more than a decade ago (man, it feels weird to be able to say that). He was basically my dream character, that I thought would never have a chance. Seeing him as a Mii fighter... well... I'm glad he's in Smash, but I can't say I would have ever wanted it to end up like this. I'm still going to buy the costume, and probably pick up Mii Swordfighter as well... but it will be bittersweet. Oh well, better than nothing at all I guess...
Would you ever consider him for Smash 5?

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Would you ever consider him for Smash 5?
If Namco is involved again, than maybe. The chances would probably slim though. Unless Symphonia was ported to the NX, or got some sort of sequel on the new system, I wouldn't count on it.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Slow to the punch as usual Pika ;)

But yeah, somehow I knew we'd get another requested character. Also, could anyone translate the rest of the twitter posts?
Saids they wont reveal anything else anymore but theres more mii costumes to come on 7/31

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I love ToS, but honestly, I always thought that this is the best we could get. And we actually got it! (Now I need a Presea costume. Swordfighters with axes would be so cool).

What I love with that costume is that the B Attacks feels natural for Lloyd.

B: Blurring Blade (Sword Rain)
Side B: Airborn Assault (Tempest)
Up-B: Stone Scabbard (Tiger Blade. Kinda)
Down B: Power Thrust (Sonic Thrust, Rising Falcon if used airborn)

Of course, it's not Lloyd himself, but the Mii B moves suit the costume.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Hey, look at it this way.
There are other Tales characters. Some that people argue are better choices. Now, we know that Lloyd is the one most "on the radar" next game...well, unless we get a Tales character with this patch, but that ain't too likely.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well well well. This just came out of nowhere.

However, can't really say I'm surprised. Tales Of-series - and Symphonia of all things considered out of them, got a whole load of nothing until this.

I'm at least glad they recognized Symphonia's affiliation with Nintendo (otherwise we would have got Yuri Goddamn Lowell again) - Though I'm getting more confident that Mii Costumes are the new low-effort ways to appease to the fans, also able to axe characters not given any consideration as playable in the roster otherwise. Ballot might even possibly be ran with this idea on mind behind our backs.

I presume that either this is our time to pack things up - or it might be indication that there's more in store for Lloyd instead. More chances for realistic heads than wildcard pipedream tails of our current coin in this situation.

Until then, it's been a good ride guys. This might be most likely our stop for real.

That is one high quality Mii Costume! Hopefully this bodes well for his inclusion in the next game.
I can at least be confident if they'd ever do anything Namco x Nintendo-related, Symphonia will take priority over Vesperia.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Do you think we'll get a female version? If so, will it be Collette's Lloyd suit or just Lloyd with breasts?
We got Heihachi's big arms for females, and we can crossdress as Isabelle, so we'll definitely get Lloyd with boobs.

... Wait, Colette had a Lloyd costume?

We're more likely to get Presea's Klonoa outfit ported onto Miis than we are to get her I'd say.
Of course, I don't think that Presea is likely at all. If anything, if we get Tales Of costumes again, it would be probably Yuri and Cless.

A Klonoa costume would be nice, though!

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Cool. It's too bad mii sword fighter is considered the absolute bottom tier.

Makes it bittersweet if an already bittersweet occurrence.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I literally went "HOLY SH*T!" When I saw thos costume! I NEVER would have seen this coming!

_Sheik

Smash Lord
That costume sure looks badass. They'd have done wonders if they had bothered making a legit full playable character.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Not on the gamecube but, when the PS2 version introduced character exclusive costumes and the PS3 version brought them to the west, players were able to visit Dirk's place late in the game for a scene in which she spills soup on herself and the only clean clothes big enough are Lloyd's spares.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This Lloyd costume is mostly harmless. I highly doubt Nintendo will say no to the ballot winners just because they already have a Mii costume. All this means is that Nintendo has no planed DLC with Lloyd Irving, so don't panic. There is no reason to abandon ship, so don't give up. So long Nintendo, and thanks for all the skins. But come on Nintendo Lloyd with just one sword? Really?

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This Lloyd costume is mostly harmless. I highly doubt Nintendo will say no to the ballot winners just because they already have a Mii costume. All this means is that Nintendo has no planed DLC with Lloyd Irving, so don't panic. There is no reason to abandon ship, so don't give up. So long Nintendo, and thanks for all the skins. But come on Nintendo Lloyd with just one sword? Really?
Well at least, Nintendo is smart enough to know that dual-wielding with swords is stupid. I mean, not only your blades would get locked by each other, but you would be defenseless against arrows.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Well at least, Nintendo is smart enough to know that dual-wielding with swords is stupid. I mean, not only your blades would get locked by each other, but you would be defenseless against arrows.
Lloyd could parry arrows in his games.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Lloyd can do this.
I don't think realism matters.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
But Lloyd is stupid.
He thought 2 swords=2x power, and that's why he adopted that style.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We got Heihachi's big arms for females, and we can crossdress as Isabelle, so we'll definitely get Lloyd with boobs.

Yep. Exclusive to PS2-version from a sidequest (which is also in the Chronicles-compilation on PS3)

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
At least Lloyd got in the game in some form.

In response to an above post, the way I've always seen it, on a mental level Lloyd wasn't dumb so much as he was lazy. In his game, when extreme circumstances demanded it, Lloyd was a very quick thinker and clever tactician. There is a recurring line in Tales of Symphonia among the party: "It's only in times like this when Lloyd's mind is working."

Sandfall

Stage Designer
Ummmmmmm... I don't think Nintendo is immune from that criticism :p

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
Hello!

I don't know much about Lloyd Irving or the game he comes from, but after seeing his Mii Costume, I noticed this topic and I immediately felt bad...
So I came here, and... Well...

It seems like you guys are taking it surprisingly well. You're looking at the positive side of things ("at least he's in the game at all", "the costume actually looks really cool", etc.), and it makes me feel better to see that you're being such good sports about this.

It's probably still a bit disappointing for at least some of you...
But you're not letting that one emotion take over. :)

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I think like the K. Rool fans people are panicking a liiiittle too much over the Mii costume thing. I wasn't expecting Lloyd to make it in any form, and am still gunning for his inclusion.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
@ ryuu seika ryuu seika @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~
Oh, of course. The PS2 version.
The Playstation versions of the Tales Of games usually get so much content compared to the Nintendo / Microsoft versions.

Colette with the Lloyd outfit is cute, anyway!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hello!

I don't know much about Lloyd Irving or the game he comes from, but after seeing his Mii Costume, I noticed this topic and I immediately felt bad...
So I came here, and... Well...

It seems like you guys are taking it surprisingly well. You're looking at the positive side of things ("at least he's in the game at all", "the costume actually looks really cool", etc.), and it makes me feel better to see that you're being such good sports about this.

It's probably still a bit disappointing for at least some of you...
But you're not letting that one emotion take over. :)
I think it's because we hadn't had that big of a following and activity compared to most threads here, and after Pac-Man, support for Lloyd in Smash dwindled down hard. Not to mention how Tales Of hadn't had much to do with Nintendo for years now. (Aside froiom Reve Unitia and Abyss-port on 3DS). Hell, the fact that Symphonia HD was not even release for Wii U was basically signifying that Tales Of wasn't really gonna be something enough significant to get a mention in Smash.

So this was a little nice love letter, considering all of the things that happened before. I was mostly cynical about Symphonia and Smash Bros (or other Nintendore-related) before then. It kinda makes me glad that Symphonia is regarded with enough respect to be with likes of Megaman X, Battle Network, Tekken, etc. within this crossover game (even if Mii Costumes, bleh.)

Especially since it's one mere JRPG given that attention compared to likes of other 3rd Parties out there. And out of all Tales Ofs, they took one most synonymous with Nintendo-console. (I mean, no Yuri Lowell this time, despite being now the series go-mascot character in crossovers)

Obviously we're bummed that this locks Lloyd out (maybe?), but if anythin', it's a step forward. Especially if this is due the Ballot - it can bode for something to look forward in the future, instead of just plain nothing like yesterday.

So hey, cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom