• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uniter Of The Worlds: Lloyd Irving for SSB4

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
For his taunts he can say "just as I expected" while throwing his swords and CATCHING IT WITH HIS SHEATHES WHATTABADASS!

He can say "you *******!" Cuz lol
He said that a million times in the game.

Then He has one that goes "that was way too easy" which he rarely says but thrust his swords repeatedly.

For victory quotes it would be cool if he had cameo appearances of 3 other tales characters(from any series) appear and say different things.

1st could be Colette, Genis, and Raine saying the dwarves vow with Lloyd saying "aww I hate that one."

The other could be him saying "you have value simply by being alive" with the tethe' alla group standing behind them.

The last one could be a funny one with Jade, Yuri, Zelos, Ratatosk, Malek, and Alvin criticizing Lloyd's sword play brutally.

Other things like shield break animation would be when Lloyd kneels down while poisoned or low in health. He kneels with one leg and and stabs one sword into the ground.
Dem darn beesterd desieans haha, he said that like every other sentence in the beginning of the game!

Oh my gosh, I thought of Sheena, Colette, Lloyd, and Zelos doing a victory quote with "Victory... belongs to... the most... SEXY! Dead Sexy!"

Or Raine and Lloyd with "Lloyd, I want you to remember that enemy's weakness." "Aww man, you're making me study here too?"

Or even Genis, Colette and Lloyd with "Wow Lloyd, you looked really cool!" "I'm starting to wonder about your tastes, Colette."
"What's that supposed to mean?"

There's too many win quotes from Symphonia to pick!

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
At this point if be down if Lloyd wasn't even in this game and instead Namco gets Nintendos permission to make a smash brothers clone game with just all Tales of characters. I'd probably not even play Smash anymore if it played exactly the same.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I know its not a smash game but I just.. I wish Tales of VS made it to the states. I never understood why so many games in the Tales Of Series never came state side.
I do think Lloyd would normally be likely, I mean he was the main character of the Tales of Symphonia games, and was even in the WII Soul calibur game too.
As much as I like Luke and Cless, they also had games on otehr systems. [abyss was PS2 first, and Tales of Phantasia was first on SNES but ported to the ps1.]

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
I know its not a smash game but I just.. I wish Tales of VS made it to the states. I never understood why so many games in the Tales Of Series never came state side.
I do think Lloyd would normally be likely, I mean he was the main character of the Tales of Symphonia games, and was even in the WII Soul calibur game too.
As much as I like Luke and Cless, they also had games on otehr systems. [abyss was PS2 first, and Tales of Phantasia was first on SNES but ported to the ps1.]
We have a good chunk of Tales games here, but we do miss out on some titles. Oh and also, Phantasia was on the GBA too. (I think the GBA version was released in the US around 2005-2006.)

And also, I heard through word-of-mouth from a good friend of mine saying that Lloyd has approximately 1 or 2% of the DLC votes. He doesn't know very much at all about Tales, and I didn't get the source he found that info from. I just tell him that Lloyd would be a good candidate whenever he brings up DLC haha

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Long as he knows its Lloyd the TALES OF characer not Lloyd the Gyroid from animal crossing. Though that could lead to some great jokes.
Introducing Lloyd! -shows the gyroid, as fighters gather around, Only for one of them to get a FACE FULL OF TEMPEST!
then have Luke show up and complain about Lloyd hogging the spot light.
Between the two of them you can add plenty of Tales of oufits between them Letting Cless, Kratos, and other charactes apppear.
Or at the very least make them MII outfits. I already made a Mii figher I based off Tales of characters in combat.

and personal face palm for not mentioning Phantasia's GBA port seeing as I actually own that one (derp)

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
PLEASE ADD ME TO SUPPORTERS.
I think his reveal line would be.
"Its actually hot!"

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
Long as he knows its Lloyd the TALES OF characer not Lloyd the Gyroid from animal crossing. Though that could lead to some great jokes.
Introducing Lloyd! -shows the gyroid, as fighters gather around, Only for one of them to get a FACE FULL OF TEMPEST!
then have Luke show up and complain about Lloyd hogging the spot light.
Between the two of them you can add plenty of Tales of oufits between them Letting Cless, Kratos, and other charactes apppear.
Or at the very least make them MII outfits. I already made a Mii figher I based off Tales of characters in combat.

and personal face palm for not mentioning Phantasia's GBA port seeing as I actually own that one (derp)
I'm pretty sure that the gyroid's name is spelled Lloid, but yeah that could cause some confusion haha. And I've made Mii fighters based off of some Symphonia characters too (it doesn't really work to fill the Tales void in Smash, but ya can't complain). I believe I have Lloyd, Kratos, Zelos, Colette, Raine, and Genis.

And, has everyone seen the Roy (FE, not Koopa) and Ryu leak? It opens up the doors for more than 1 rep per third party franchise! Lloyd's name has been mentioned a few times in the comments and it gives me hope!

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
yeah, as you can tell from my posting history [if you can see that nyaa I have no idea] I am really happy about Roy ^_^
Seeing as Tales is one of the NAmco's biggest Series on both sides of the planet I will be really shocked if they DONT get us all some TALES OF love.
I mean hell if Monster hunter can get a Final fantasy outfit.. then Smash bros should have plenty of room for Tales of stuff. It just seems wrong that the only Rep namco get For all thier work on Smash was Pacman. I mean yeah Pacman is cool.. but they haev so many other characters that fit so perfectly for Smash.

hmm.. maybe thats why they made teh mii fighters move liek they do? I mean MANY of the Swordsman moves at least are CLEARLY tales of attacks.
Sword Rain, Tempest, and sonic thrust are just the ones I can name off the top of my head.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
yeah, as you can tell from my posting history [if you can see that nyaa I have no idea] I am really happy about Roy ^_^
Seeing as Tales is one of the NAmco's biggest Series on both sides of the planet I will be really shocked if they DONT get us all some TALES OF love.
I mean hell if Monster hunter can get a Final fantasy outfit.. then Smash bros should have plenty of room for Tales of stuff. It just seems wrong that the only Rep namco get For all thier work on Smash was Pacman. I mean yeah Pacman is cool.. but they haev so many other characters that fit so perfectly for Smash.

hmm.. maybe thats why they made teh mii fighters move liek they do? I mean MANY of the Swordsman moves at least are CLEARLY tales of attacks.
Sword Rain, Tempest, and sonic thrust are just the ones I can name off the top of my head.
That new model for Roy looks gorgeous! Ryu is looking good too! And speaking of Pacman, I wish he had some better palettes(They're all pretty boring to me) or even alt costumes (Come on! Ms. Pacman!), but Pacman is an arcade icon and also the face of Namco. It was simply a business tactic to put him in Smash, even though Namco has other recognizable characters to choose from.

I do believe that Lloyd can translate well into Smash, but I think he needs more people looking at him and what he can bring to Smash if he wants to make it in as DLC.

And I'm just guessing that the Mii fighter's moves are just bits and pieces from other games, or they could simply be moves the Smash dev team put little effort in. While it is true that 3 of the swordfighter's moves look similar to Tales moves, I can't say it was fully intentional. The moves could've been a nod to Tales fans if you look at it hard enough.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This guy is the ideal second Namco rep that deserves to in this game. I did remember one of the developers being interested in having on happen and I hope they think about revisiting that idea.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
A friend and I have been talking about Ryu's inclusion lately, and since Smash has implemented some of Ryu's traditional SF inputs, he's becoming a technical, high-skill character. We're both Lloyd supporters, but we believe that Ryu has opened up the doors to more technical character types. Lloyd could take advantage of this and become a frame canceling fighter; relying on your instincts (and opponent's actions) to find the best time to change a B move into something more powerful to get the kill.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Id love to see that idea, however I think part of Ryu's technical making is to make him more accessable, feel better, or perhaps even draw in for the street fighter crowd. They made him as close to his normal self as possible and its a fantastic sight to see. Theoretically just based on standered combat a TALEs character would be an easy emplementation since they already function like a smash fighter.
You got your basic attack button
then you got you special cough I mean Artes button.
then uh.. Guard, jump, only thing really missing is lock on and you can PRETend that one by clicking a face right?
Oh Final smash? two words HIGH OUGI!
yeah... and for custom moves just add in attaks that fit that direction, give the ability to chain specials VIA a counter system and BOOM ya got Tails in my Smash.
[hehe Tails-tales pun.. im clever ;P]

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Now, who here can come up with a DLC trailer for Lloyd Irving? Here's what's gonna happen for my part. Like Lucas' trailer with Ness and the MOTHER 3 Love Theme, Pac-Man is getting shown getting beaten up whilst "It Is Sad" from Tales Of Symphonia plays by various opponents, concluding with Link getting ready to finish him until Lloyd Irving slashes into the rescue with his two swords. Who agrees with me? I don't mind if someone did better than me.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
If we do get a second Namco character, I won't be surprised if it is Lloyd, since he is arguably the most popular choice with Pac-Man out of the way. I could see him having a very combo-heavy moveset, to reflect upon his game. If he does make it in, I hope Scott Menville voices him.

As for a stage, I think Palmacosta would be pretty ideal, since it is one of the most important locations in Sylvarant.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Give me the Arte Linking system from the games and you've got yourself a unique dual swordsman. It worked well for him in Super Smash Flash 2 after all.

ShyKChan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shyflutters18
3DS FC
0662-3508-3411
If we do get a second Namco character, I won't be surprised if it is Lloyd, since he is arguably the most popular choice with Pac-Man out of the way. I could see him having a very combo-heavy moveset, to reflect upon his game. If he does make it in, I hope Scott Menville voices him.

As for a stage, I think Palmacosta would be pretty ideal, since it is one of the most important locations in Sylvarant.
Yes! Scott Menville for Lloyd's classic voice, because I don't know too many folks who like his DoTNW voice (me included).

And why not Derris Kharlan as a stage? Or heck, I think Hima would be cool too if you got to see the dragons in the background flying around the Tower of Salvation. Oh and what about the place where the pact with Origin is made? I think Welgaia would be an interesting stage too.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I think the Giant tree from the End of Symphonia would be an awesome stage or maybe even Lloyds dwarven house. [So that we can get some Noishe love too ^_^ AWW just loved that adorable kritter!!]

Altais

Smash Champion
Yes! Scott Menville for Lloyd's classic voice, because I don't know too many folks who like his DoTNW voice (me included).

And why not Derris Kharlan as a stage? Or heck, I think Hima would be cool too if you got to see the dragons in the background flying around the Tower of Salvation. Oh and what about the place where the pact with Origin is made? I think Welgaia would be an interesting stage too.
Now that I think about it, Hima would be an excellent stage, since the mountain peak provides a breath-taking view of the Tower of Salvation, which plays a huge role in the story. Just imagine how that would look in HD. Perhaps the Sword Dancer could be a stage boss.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ You've got yourself a few new supporters to add.

The fact that there's not much activity here since the Pac-Man reveal is actually saddening. But at least Ryu's inclusion opens the possibility of Namco getting another rep (How the hell it didn't happen at first is beyond me since they were to ones who helped Smash 4 become what it is and not Crapcom).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ You've got yourself a few new supporters to add.

The fact that there's not much activity here since the Pac-Man reveal is actually saddening. But at least Ryu's inclusion opens the possibility of Namco getting another rep (How the hell it didn't happen at first is beyond me since they were to ones who helped Smash 4 become what it is and not Crapcom).
Oh my, sorry about that. Kinda thought this wouldn't be up anymore.

Perhaps as to save me from a hassle, could someone give me a quick round-up of all who are new? Possibly we coudl start pushing for new support after Ryu opening a floodgate of it's own.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh my, sorry about that. Kinda thought this wouldn't be up anymore.

Perhaps as to save me from a hassle, could someone give me a quick round-up of all who are new? Possibly we coudl start pushing for new support after Ryu opening a floodgate of it's own.
Altais, me, ImaClubYou, Sonic Buddha Ingoro, SunnyDust, JeremySama, kikaru, Ryun Sakai, BombKirby, SmashBros99, Gaiablade64, Mikegamer0608, belmontzar, and Icedragonadam.

That should be about it from what I've seen in the recent pages. Overall, not bad for a group of people supporting who's practically the best choices for a second Namco rep.

Last edited:

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
My biggest worry though, or thought as to why Lloyd might not join the game, is a fiarly stupid one used by the same people who hate on alot of other characters...
the whole "two many swordsmen." argument. I was thinking about this when playing earlier and ding my usual fights for fun, teh fact is there are jsut too many swordsman to really expect many more to appear. LLoyd will be a huge departrure from otehr sword users yeah, specialy if [like Ryu] the made him play similar to his game style which as I said before.. not really that hard. [the moves practically write themselves honestly]
problem is I cant thik of any TALES of Character that doesn't link or relate to another group of people in game. [Least not from symphonia or phantasia.]
the other obviouse issue is the obviouse links to tales of attacks placed in MII mode.

Course none of that really changes how AWESOME it would be to run around Demon fanging people off held ledges in a Kratos skined LLoyd XD HAHAHA.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yo there fellow supporters! Sorry if I updated the list now, but I had been doing a lot busy things of my own. Hope we can still regather and push now for Lloyd's inclusion!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Sword Rain Alpha (3 light hits into an upward stronger one), Blazing Tempest (less movement, speed and knockback but high damage) and Super Sonic Thrust (mild wind effect letting you damage the opponent without normal knockback if the very tip connects, can also be used to nudge foes past horizontal blast lines) would fix any swordfighter clashes. The ability to multihit enemies behind and above with Rising Falcon, combined with its already slightly different movement, would be enough to differentiate it from the brawler move.
No, my worry is more about how he'd use items.

Hima sounds like an amazing battleground, the only suggestion I've heard that rivals the tower itself IMO, I'll show you my tower design when I can access a real computer again. Should only be a couple days.

As for characters, only Lloyd and Cless seem likely, though I would personally love to see Arche done well.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So, as promised, here's my tower stage:

It is primarily a long, single platform, that benefits fast characters and would benefit projectile spammers were it not for the raised center.

This section is based on the alter seen behind the fighting plane in Tales of Symphonia and serves a few purposes. The first is to reduce the reach of projectiles like gordos and Mario fireballs, forcing most characters into close combat, though other fighters like Fox may have it easier in this regard.
Second, it interferes with long chain combos by forcing players to adapt to a change in gradient. In other words, it increases the skill they need to chain, adding to gameplay depth.
And third, it gives characters who's KOs are primarily horizontal a way to hit over the pillars at percents.

The pillars themselves are partially to prolong matches by lessening the chance of quick KOs and partially to alter the way in which players recover.
They have rounded centers and breakable tops, which can be destroyed through damage or repeated/strong player collisions (game reference), so that one cannot simply combo indefinitely from the wall but may still use some of its rebound properties to their advantage once or twice.
Their bases are rounded and slippery to prevent them from allowing grab infinites, a relic of me designing this stage for Brawl.
Also slippery are their tops, so that a player may not simply hog this highest point and expect to be at an advantage. Yes, most players will have to jump twice to reach you but, even when blocking, you can easily be made to slide off towards the drop blocks, putting your opponent mere moves away from spiking you fatally.

These blocks are transparent steps that shake and fall when landed on, strongly resembling a more fragile version of those you climbed to reach this point. They prevent spikes from becoming too easy and also give a much needed boost to characters with bad recovery. Yes, you can hog them, but mistime it and your opponent need only footstool for the stock so it's a very high risk edge game if that's what you want to play.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Nintendo has no rights over Tales of Symphonia, right?

Let me make it simple: I do NOT want a second Bandai Namco representative. That would throw the third party lineup out of balance, and we already have Ryu doing that.

Altais

Smash Champion
Just finished re-watching some cutscenes on Youtube. Man, I forgot just how emotive Symphonia is. Looking back, the game's story did teach me many lessons on life when I was younger, and in many ways helped me find mineself. I need to play through it again sometime.

Anyhow, now that I think of it, if Lloyd does make it in Smash, I hope he will have his chibi design from his first game and not a realistic design like the one from Soul Calibur Legends.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There've been several designs of Lloyd, most looking rather similar in style but very different in proportions. Personally, I would rather the proportions of ToS Lloyd and not those of his Narikiri Dungeon or full chibi incarnations. I would be ok with the proportions used in Soul Calibur legends, if somewhat unthrilled by them, however, as I'm sure we can all agree, the actual style used for that incarnation (loosely termed "realistic") would not fit Smash in the slightest.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo has no rights over Tales of Symphonia, right?

Let me make it simple: I do NOT want a second Bandai Namco representative. That would throw the third party lineup out of balance, and we already have Ryu doing that.
I can totally understand that view point, my only real argument TOWERDS a second Namco Bandai rep is that this smash was made by them right? Tales of Symphonia is known as pretty much THE game that led to TALES OF coming more and more state side. [kinda like how marth and Roy brought Fire emblem to the states.] It just seems a bit unfair for them to put all this fantastic work and love into a game, and only have one rep, specially when as you said yourself, characters like RYU are appearing.

Note; while im aware Tales of Phantasia, the first of the tales games, WAS eventually sent state wide, as were the Tales of destiny games, but it was Symphonia that made the series as big as it is now in the states.
Like I said before though, id be happy just to get a bunch of Tales of outfits or special items to work with already existign outfits to make them fit better. [Ex Cless's head band]

As for Ryu's inclusion. Nintendo and Capcom have been doing alot of work together making games such as Street fighter 4 3ds, and the project X zone games as well [sequal on the way has me so hyper!!]
You also Cant deny that it was SNES street fighter 2 that worked with mortal Kombat to bring Console Fighting games to the fore front. It makes sense to honur Ryu here this time.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
but it was Symphonia that made the series as big as it is now in the states.
That is true, and is the biggest reason why I think Lloyd is the most likely, assuming we do get a Tales character.

At any rate, Lloyd has officially grown on me. Personally, I never disliked Lloyd; I'm just not as big a fan as I am of Cless. If Cless were reavealed, I fancy most people wouldn't even know who he is. Given that Lloyd is a dual-weilding swordsman, he's bound to be unique from Marth, Roy, and the others.

AdeptArcanist

Smash Rookie
You've got yourself a supporter, I'd been hoping for a Tales character since Namco Bandai was announced to be helping with Smash 4 - and Symphonia's my favourite! However, I can't help but think that Colette might have a more interesting potential moveset with her chakrams, even though she's a bit less recognizable... oh well. Also, I love the suggestion someone made further up the page about Lloyd referencing the coffee scene x3

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Lloyd was one of the character that i wanted before Pac-Man. Because before that, Pac-Man was pretty controversial because of multi reason and for me. Lloyd was the perfect choice because his game was the one who popularize the Tales of series and TOS was first release on Gamecube. Sadly, Lloyd not happen and i forget about him after that. But now that i am looking ti the OAV again and Ryu inclusion can open the door for other third party character. I think i could re -support him! :) Add me to the list so! There is still a little chance that he can be!

Altais

Smash Champion
I just thought of something: Lloyd could be unique in that all of his alternate costumes could be completely different designs instead of simple colour swaps. Although, that would probably be costly. Below, I listed some of the costumes Lloyd could have. The first five derive from his game, the last two I made up.

Default Red Overalls
Nobleman
Pirate
Guy Cecil (from Tales of the Abyss)
Beach Boy
Samurai
Sorey (from Tales of Zestria)
Emil (from Symphonia 2)

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I think it could be going like this, having each of the third-party companies have one cartoony character in the launch version of the games (as shown with Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic) then each get a "humanoid" character as DLC (with Lloyd Irving, Ryu and Bayonetta?).

It never striked me before that the three third-party companies that played a part in Smash 4 are exactly the same that collaborated to create Project X Zone (as well as its sequel).

Top Bottom