• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Umebura F.A.T. - A Japanese Smash 4 Major

Umebura FAT is being held on September 21st and 22nd in Tokyo, Japan.Umebura FAT (First Anniversary Tournament) is the 100th event, and is taking place during the first two day’s of Japan’s Silver Week. Some of the greatest players Japan has to offer will be in attendance as well as some foreign challengers from distant lands.

Any Smash fans that have not viewed a Japanese smash event before may notice that the ruleset used differs in several ways from those commonly used in other countries. Many know Japanese rulesets for being very limited on stages and in general being conservative. Here is a rundown of the ruleset to help fans at home:

---​

Umebura F.A.T. Ruleset
General rules:
  • 2 stock
  • 7 minute time limit
  • Double elimination
  • All items OFF
  • Customization and Miis are NOT allowed
Stages:

Starters:
  • Final Destination
  • Battlefield
  • Smashville
Counter-Pick:
  • Town and City
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Omega versions of all stages
---​

Normally it is rare to see players traveling over to Japan for tournaments but for this special anniversary some very special guests are set to attend! Here are the international representatives coming in for the event:

Vinnie - :4sheik: Being one of the players who's come closest to beating ZeRo Vinnie is a major threat going into the tournament. His Sheik can roll with the best of them and he's been Tweeting about friendlies with some of the Japanese players. With other strong Japanese Sheiks set to attend it will be interesting to see how he fares.

Liquid'Nairo - :4zss: Many have speculated that Nairo would be the first to take down ZeRo and it's no surprise why. His Zero Suit Samus can be amazingly flashy and he can really dominate a match when momentum gets behind him. The Japanese have had good practice in fighting Choco's ZSS, let's see if it will carry over to Nairo's.

Boreal Ally - :4mario:Ally has really been showing what a strong Mario player can do. Previous Umebura events have only seen a Mario in the top eight once and only as a secondary. Is Japan ready for Ally's Mario?

Despite these new challengers approaching Japan has it's own roster of incredibly talented players. For those new to the Japanese scene here is a rundown of some of the confirmed talent in attendance with videos of their play when possible:

Ranai - :4villager: Ranai's Villager is a force to be reckoned with. His stage control is incredible and his clever use of traps can leave any player struggling to keep up. He has been in the top 8 in over 11 Japan tournaments with seven of those places being 1st. Ranai could very well come with with gold.

Rain - :4sheik: The next most dominant player in Japan in definitely Rain. He's been seen in the op 8 in Japanese tournament at least 8 times with six of those appearances resulting in a first place. He also recently came to the states placing just outside the top 8 at Evo 2015. This is one tough Sheik to beat.

Abadango - :4pacman::4metaknight::4wario::rosalina: Most fans of Smash are no stranger to Abadango. His Pac-Man has wowed many with its creativity, his Wario has put in hard work (most notably at Evo 2015), and in Japan the players there have seen him fight hard with Rosalina and Luma as well as Meta Knight whom he picked up recently.

Saiya - :4falcon: One of the best Captain Falcon's in Japan Saiya can and will most certainly be showing people his moves. A frequent top placing player keep an eye out for him in bracket.

Komorikiri - :4sonic: Komorikiri really knows how to roll around at the speed of sound! While he generally places high at events his Sonic has only brought him a first place once. Will this be his day to change that?

Choco - :4zss: Commonly placing second at other Umebura events, Choco's Zero Suit Samus is a sight to behold. With Nairo on the scene Choco will be working extra hard to shine.

Earth - :4pit::4fox: One of the best Pit players in Brawl earth still plays him today in Smash 4 alongside a very potent Fox. this Smash veteran still places well taking the top 8 in many recent events. Nairo's Dark Pit had better watch out because Earth is in town!

Brood - :4duckhunt:Having placed in the top five at eight previous events Brood looks to have a repeat showing at Umebura F.A.T. By far the best Duck Hunt in Japan and one of the best in the world he's expected to do very well.

Kie - :4peach: Oh did Kie win? His Peach is one of the best across the globe and it is easy to see why. Amidst a flurry of floating and tumultuous turnips Kie has the tools to take down any foe.

Daiki - :4megaman::4diddy: Daiki rocks "Rockman" like no other and is one of the best Mega Man players in Japan. His Diddy Kong is no slouch either and both are potent threats in any given match.

Songun - :4gaw::4sheik: GimZ isn't the only one with winz using Mr. Game and Watch! Songun has had high placements in Japan hitting the top eight several times. His quirky movement and clever tricks make him a unique threat at the event.

Salena - :4metaknight:One of the best Meta Knights in Japan Salena has not seen a high placement since Umebura 16. However this will only drive him harder to do well and show the world what a Smash 4 Meta Knight can really do.

Some - :4greninja: One of the best Greninja mains in the world if not the best Some comes to battle after a recent top 6 placement at Umebura 19.

Ginko - :4pacman::4rob::4mewtwo:That's right, Mewtwo! Ginko's highest recent placing was at Hyper Sumabato where alongside his Pac-Man and R.O.B. he used Mewtwo to pull in the win. His victories have been a major factor in seeing Mewtwo higher in Japanese tier lists.

Hayato - :4tlink: One of the best Toon Links in the world Hayato shows off just how scary he can be in Smash 4. A projectile master who can get any opponents to fall into his traps he'll be looking to bomb, boomerang, and HYAAA his way to victory.

9B - :4ryu: Once a famous Brawl player known as a frighteningly powerful Ice Climbers main 9B has not yet found as much success in the Smash 4 arena. Having switched mains several times he has recently settled on Ryu which has been a good fit. Umebura F.A.T. may be his time for a major break out in Smash 4.

There are even more strong threats set to attend including Nietono :4fox::4diddy::4sheik:, Shu :4sheik:, Kirihara :rosalina:, Umeki:4peach:, taranito :4ness:, Pichi :4falcon:, Kamemushi :4megaman::4sheik::4dedede:, and Nasubi :4wario:.

Umebura F.A.T. Trailer​

The event is set to be streamed by SHI-Gaming, one of Japan's most prominent Smash channels. The schedule from the event has been translated below. For those who need help converting for time zones the stream starts 1PM JST, which is 9PM today (September 20th) Pacific Time, or midnight Eastern Time. More information on the event can be found on its official website. Do not miss one of the greatest Smash 4 tournaments to take place thus far in Japan!

---​

Tenative Schedule Local Time (JST)

September 21st, 2015

9AM - Preparations for the tournament

9:30 AM - Registration begins (Players bringing a Wii U, please come at this time)

10:20 AM - Registration finishes (Players who fail to show up by this time are disqualified)

10:30 AM - Opening remarks

11:00 AM - Group A Bracket

12:50 PM - Group B Bracket

2:40 PM - Team Tournament

9:10 PM - 1st day finishing time

September 22nd, 2015

10:30 Sub-event (Kanto vs. Kansai) and Singles Nomination[At the same time]

12:40 PM - Singles Main Tournament

8:00 PM - End of the tournament

---​

Writer's Note: A special thank you to @PushDustIn for doing translation work on this article and thanks to @Jucchan for help translating names of confirmed entrants: this article couldn't have happened without them.

Last edited:

Comments

lol You know you are a living legend already when "came close to beat you" is a term to measure quality of the others....
ZeRo deserves it.
But I'm hoping Nairo brings this one home.... his Zero Suit is nothing short of fantastic!

Last edited:
A friend of mine from Japan is actually going to enter this tournament. I was initially confused as to why he kept calling it 脂肪競争.

Finally, American players vs a Japan player that isnt Abadango
I want to see:
Rain vs Nairo
Ranai vs Abandago (I've already seen them play, but I want to see them again)
Choco vs Vinnie
Ally vs Ranai

This is so hype! Lets see if Ranai is actually the truth.
Ranai is great, but I really can't picture him winning. I think he's mostly overhyped.

Last edited:
So many big names unmentioned (Edge in particular) with so many players with lesser results included.... kind of odd.

Thank you very much for writing this up, LiteralGrill LiteralGrill . I hope you won't mind if I nitpick a bit, and also supply a bit of extra information which readers might find interesting:
  • Rain has been in a bit of a slump, but he still might be Japan's strongest player overall. His win % is about as good as Ranai's (and was much better until recently). He simply attends fewer events, mostly staying within the Kantō region.
  • AFAIK Ginko only used Mewtwo vs. Ranai for his 3rd place finish, and he lost that match. His is indeed very good with the character, however.
  • Kie historically outplaced Umeki in Brawl, but has been less active in Sm4sh. You can definitely argue Umeki is stronger for now, but that's not entirely clear.
  • Songun and Hayato both have a win on Rain. They're arguably the best representatives of their respective characters right now.

Last edited:
Was excited to watch this, and then I saw it started at midnight eastern on a worknight. Won't be able to watch it live, darn. I hope Nairo/Ally//Vinnie finish 1/2/3 :D And I LOVE the japanese stage list. I completely agree with all the jank stages not being included.

Last edited:
DAYUM. (damn) This looks... very frightening... I'm usually all for massive Sm4sh throwdowns, but I ain't seen no Japanese players yet, and this article makes them seem horrifying. The suspense will kill me if I watch this live. The suspense before hand may kill me as well. No really. I have heart problems. I'm serious when I say it might kill me. But it may be worth it to see such big names from multiple communities throw it down. I'll consider watching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom