• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UFGT10:X - May 23-25, 2014 - Chicago, IL

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Registered. I will be bringing 3 wiis, 3 cubes, and 5 tvs. @ EXPGaming EXPGaming what's the setup count looking like for this? Will setups be provided already for melee/pm or should we bring them for sure. Also, what's the turnout looking like for this wrt melee and pm?
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I recommend contacting Keits (@TheKeits on Twitter) or leaving a comment on the UFGT website.

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
I agree DeLoused in the Comatorium is the best post 90's album, period.
YESSSS. THIS ^. After getting my bachelor's in music, I learned to appreciate Deloused so much. I seriously know everything about Deloused, Frances the Mute and Nocourniquet.

But on topic, Deloused never gets old. It's a masterpiece.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Ewww, Nocourniquet. After Bedlam I couldn't get into the next 2 albums, too soft imho.

It's really hard to find good, new, "progressive metal", other than the Mars Volta and Between the Buried and Me (post silent circus), it's watered down submainstream stuff, like I used to REALLY dig Coheed a lot (still a quality band), but that stuff just doesn't have the same complex, "masterpiece" feel you get.

Like I really like Symphony X's "Paradise Lost", it's great, classically trained ear ****ing, power metal, it's an insanely talented impressive album, but it's just not on the same level as the movement that the Mars Volta brings (or bttbm). Or I like even the opposite sounding stuff like Graves at Sea self-titled album, but for mind exploration, needs more shakedowns.

King Crimson meets Pink Floyd meets At the Drive-In and Mastadon meets Queen meets Blindmelon (and pink floyd again).

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
Ewww, Nocourniquet. After Bedlam I couldn't get into the next 2 albums, too soft imho.

It's really hard to find good, new, "progressive metal", other than the Mars Volta and Between the Buried and Me (post silent circus), it's watered down submainstream stuff, like I used to REALLY dig Coheed a lot (still a quality band), but that stuff just doesn't have the same complex, "masterpiece" feel you get.

Like I really like Symphony X's "Paradise Lost", it's great, classically trained ear ****ing, power metal, it's an insanely talented impressive album, but it's just not on the same level as the movement that the Mars Volta brings (or bttbm). Or I like even the opposite sounding stuff like Graves at Sea self-titled album, but for mind exploration, needs more shakedowns.

King Crimson meets Pink Floyd meets At the Drive-In and Mastadon meets Queen meets Blindmelon (and pink floyd again).
Last music post. PM me if you want haha.

Noctourniquet is unbelievably complex with themes that run throughout the entire album. It has a large amount of harmonic dissonance that turns off the casual user, but makes the tunes have a ton of layers.

Also BTBAM is awesome. Although I feel Alaska is pretty good. Parallax 2 is great, etc. I could go into more detail but this post would be volumes.

Other notables, Mastadon and At the Drive-In are amazing. Specifically Relationship of Command. Insanely relevant album still. If you want prog, (and are open minded) listen to The Fall of Troy. It's tough listening but the musicality is crazy and it's insanely original. Notable albums: Doppelganger and Phantom on the Horizon.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'll bring my GC controller, just in case I happen to find someone to play regular brawl with...probably not though =(

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
Hi Smashboards! I'm the assistant tournament organizer for UFGT, and I just joined so I can talk about this tournament and answer any questions you may have.

UFGT10 is just over a month away. The time is ticking away fast, so in the next week or so, Keits and I will be finalizing the pools and stream schedule for the 18 games we are running tournaments for. This is where we need your help. If you are planning to come to UFGT10, please take a moment and pre-register for the tournament. The registration site is http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/register/.

Why should you pre-register for UFGT10? The reasons are many and varied. For one, people that pre-register will be able to learn their pool assignments ahead of time. In addition, only people that pre-register will be seeded for geography and skill. Pre-registrants also give the people running the event information as to how to plan the tournament structure and schedule for each game. So think of pre-registering as a favor to us.

But pre-registering is also a favor to you, because the earlier you register, the more money you save on the registration fee. If you wait until you're at the tournament to register (which we call "emergency registration"), it will set you back $60 on registration fee alone. Meanwhile, if you register before midnight on May 4th, the registration fee will only cost you $35. All information about online registration, which will remain open until May 19th, is on the UFGT website.

But why should you come to UFGT at all? Well, we've got a lot of stuff going on beyond the tournaments. We have panels with fighting game community figures--including ones with EVO founder Seth Killian and Marvel 3 EVO champion Jay "Viscant" Snyder. We have a carnival games section where you can win plenty of fun prizes. We have indie developers putting their games on display, including BaraBariBall, Fearless Night, and Advent Saga. We have special events, including our famous Mystery Game tournament--where you could end up playing any fighting game in existence--and our auction tournaments for UMvC3, CvS2, and M.U.G.E.N. (and maybe a Smash Bros. game as well? *wink* *wink*).

Anyway, thank you for letting me do my spiel that I just copied over from the Chicago-land Melee Facebook group. And now, to answer questions that were previously posted:

Will there be Melee and PM teams or only singles?
The only "official" tournaments (i.e., run by staff) for Smash Bros. games will be Melee and PM singles. However, we allow any community member to run side tournaments on Sunday. This is usually when team tournaments for Street Fighter and Marvel are run, so there's no reason that there couldn't be a doubles tournament or tournaments on Sunday as well. We just ask that you clear it with us first. But we'll be happy to provide you with blank brackets, pens, or any other materials you may need to run a side tournament.

Is one $20 spectator pass good for all 3 days?
Spectating is actually free. The $20 pass is if you want to play casuals (or friendlies, as I believe you call them).

If you have any other questions about the tournament, please feel free to contact me. I'm available on Twitter (@maxwasserman and @CurlingW) and by e-mail (maxwasserman at gmail dot com). Or you could just reply to this thread and I'll do my best to keep checking on it. To sum up, we want to put on a big show this year, as this is the last ever UFGT. We hope you will help us do so with your attendance.

Last edited:

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
@ CurlyW CurlyW "Spectating is actually free. The $20 pass is if you want to play casuals (or friendlies, as I believe you call them)."

this is cool and all, but how exactly are you going to manage this?
All people who pay to play casuals get a badge. All tournament entrants also get a badge. Badges should be displayed at all times while in the venue. If event staff see a person playing casuals without a badge displayed, they will be asked to stop playing and present their badge, or they must go to the tournament command center to purchase one.

Last edited:

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Whats the chances of a Brawl side tourney? Anyone? Anyone at all?

I'll see myself out...

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Registered. I will be bringing 3 wiis, 3 cubes, and 5 tvs. @ EXPGaming EXPGaming what's the setup count looking like for this? Will setups be provided already for melee/pm or should we bring them for sure. Also, what's the turnout looking like for this wrt melee and pm?
I love when you casually stroll into threads informing everyone you'll bring 3 Wiis, 3 Cubes, 5 TVs. The tourney MVP for sure.

Drephen

Smash Master
if i dont want to be on stream but still want to enter the tournament, will i still be able to enter?

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
so, an update on registration numbers?
We don't give those out until the week before the tournament. Sorry.

if i dont want to be on stream but still want to enter the tournament, will i still be able to enter?
Absolutely you can still enter. All you need to do is simply tell the person running your pool that you want all your matches played off-stream, and they should oblige you. That having been said, if you end up making Top 32 in a game, or maybe even winners finals of your pool, you then will have no choice but to play on stream.

I should also mention that everybody who attends UFGT will be asked to sign a release that will let us use your image in promotional materials, but this mostly applies to pictures taken at the event.

I'm not sure why this tourney wasn't scheduled May 24-26 instead... isn't the point of hosting on Memorial Day weekend to take advantage of the three day weekend? =\
The point of hosting Friday to Sunday on Memorial Day weekend is so that people who attend from out of town still have a day left for travelling home or even sightseeing (since things can end late on Sunday). This is the way we've done it for the past 3 years.

In addition, 90% of events that begin on Friday start after 5pm, and 50% after 7pm. Some events won't even start until Saturday. We're still working out the schedule and it should be released in the next week or so. I can say that the current draft of the schedule has one of the Smash games (Melee or PM) beginning on Saturday with the other starting late Friday going into Saturday. (Still subject to change, however, as there are a lot of variables to account for.)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
In addition, 90% of events that begin on Friday start after 5pm, and 50% after 7pm. Some events won't even start until Saturday. We're still working out the schedule and it should be released in the next week or so. I can say that the current draft of the schedule has one of the Smash games (Melee or PM) beginning on Saturday with the other starting late Friday going into Saturday. (Still subject to change, however, as there are a lot of variables to account for.)
This is the kind of information that needs to be on the tournament schedule. Right now it's empty on the website, and people in my situation (~5 hours away) are in the dark about it. I understand turnout will drive the decision making to an extent, but the days in which events are happening should at least be locked in by now.

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
This is the kind of information that needs to be on the tournament schedule. Right now it's empty on the website, and people in my situation (~5 hours away) are in the dark about it. I understand turnout will drive the decision making to an extent, but the days in which events are happening should at least be locked in by now.
The turnout is the main factor that drives the schedule decision making. We can't set up a schedule until we know how many people are attending for which games. And there are plenty of other factors when it comes to making a schedule (like how communities for every game want stream time), but turnout is number 1. We want to make sure our event runs well, and hence why we wait until a few weeks before the event to finalize the schedule, and why we tell people to be available on Friday and Saturday for pools.

Anyway, expect a schedule to be posted in the next two weeks. And if something isn't clear on the website, then please just ask us and we'll do our best to answer.

Last edited:

Drephen

Smash Master
We don't give those out until the week before the tournament. Sorry.

Absolutely you can still enter. All you need to do is simply tell the person running your pool that you want all your matches played off-stream, and they should oblige you. That having been said, if you end up making Top 32 in a game, or maybe even winners finals of your pool, you then will have no choice but to play on stream.
awesome, thanks for the reply!

Revven

FrankerZ
IMO, the title of the thread should probably denote this is an EVO qualifier -- could help garner more attendance for Smash (and also get people to click on the thread lol).

Last edited:

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
IMO, the title of the thread should probably denote this is an EVO qualifier -- could help garner more attendance for Smash (and also get people to click on the thread lol).
UFGT was a Road to Evo event last year. This year, however, there's no official Road to Evo at all. Instead, this is how Evo seeding points will work (from the Evo website):

First, we are including every tournament from January 2014 until June 2014. This means that if you run a tournament for one of our official Evo games, you are eligible to be in the Road to Evo. Bigger tournaments will receive preferential treatment, but everyone is welcomed. All you have to do is get your Tournament Organizer to submit complete results to us. Second, since there isn’t a static Road to Evo this year, make sure you get out and visit all kinds of tournaments. You will never know where you might be able to earn some Evo seeding points!
So technically, UFGT10 is only an Evo qualifier in the sense that any tournament can be an Evo qualifier. We definitely will be sending in all results though, so top placers will be receiving seeding points.

so....can you at least tell us how Melee and Project M are doing relative to the other games? ;)
All tournaments have about the same number of entrants, except for one tournament that has significantly more than all others.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
UFGT was a Road to Evo event last year. This year, however, there's no official Road to Evo at all. Instead, this is how Evo seeding points will work (from the Evo website):

So technically, UFGT10 is only an Evo qualifier in the sense that any tournament can be an Evo qualifier. We definitely will be sending in all results though, so top placers will be receiving seeding points.

All tournaments have about the same number of entrants, except for one tournament that has significantly more than all others.
so they're not really showing how players will be seeded for Evo? :/

also come on CurlyW, that's a weak answer

Last edited:

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
so they're not really showing how players will be seeded for Evo? :/

also come on CurlyW, that's a weak answer
I presume the number of points received for placing at one event will be some function of how high you place and the number of players in the tournament.

And that answer is all I'm allowed to say.

Last edited:

Vannostrum

Smash Rookie
If any Smash events are going to be on Friday, is there any tentative time as to when they will begin? I usually work until about 2-3 on Fridays so I wouldn't be able to make it before 4ish. I don't want to register until I know I can make it.

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
If any Smash events are going to be on Friday, is there any tentative time as to when they will begin? I usually work until about 2-3 on Fridays so I wouldn't be able to make it before 4ish. I don't want to register until I know I can make it.
Current schedule has 5pm as the earliest pool time on Friday for a Smash Bros. game. I do not expect that to change.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Current schedule has 5pm as the earliest pool time on Friday for a Smash Bros. game. I do not expect that to change.
Can @ Juggleguy Juggleguy make it then? :D

BTW I registered! :) Entering PM and AE. This awful Cammy is gonna get bodied lol

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
I am registered and signed up for PM.

Chicago is 6 hrs away and I atm don't know my friend's work schedule. I am hoping this works out in my favor. : o

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Holding you accountable to this. I just registered, and will be there just before 5pm that Friday. We in there.

CurlyW

Smash Rookie
The first version of the schedule has been posted. It may change in the next couple weeks, but like I said a few posts earlier, I do not expect Smash to be moved any earlier on Friday.

Tentative pool assignments will be available on May 20th, and will be made final on May 21st. Any questions or if you notice any issues, simply contact me (@maxwasserman or @CurlingW) or Keits (@TheKeits).

Top Bottom