• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSD Winter Game Fest IV - 1/17-18/09 -$4000 Pot - Melee MLK Monday 1/19

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion

San Diego Winter Game Fest IV

UCSD Winter Game Fest 2009

The Smash segment at the UCSD WGF has been the most successful event in San Diego tournament history. WGFII had 100 entrants, WGFIII had 177, and with the increased attendance of Brawl WGFIV is projected to have well over 200 players, possibly breakin 300. With sponsors such as Bawls, Microsoft, Steel Series, The Office Game, and more we've secured a guaranteed $4,000 pot. In addition to Smash, there will be tournaments for: Halo 3, CoD 4, GH3, Rockband, StarCraft, DotA, CS and several fighters for friendlies. All other tournaments can be entered free of charge.

WHO:
All the best players from California, and a grip of eager amateurs hoping to prove themselves. Out of State competition is MORE than welcome to come as well.
WHAT:
One of the first SoCal Brawl majors. I have a venue secured for two days, complete with: security, tech staff, 20 TVs, a projector, and a 20 ft screen. Smash at Winter Game Fest IV is third iteration of the largest, most successful San Diego tournament franchise.
WHEN:
January 17-18th, 2009
WHERE:
University of California: San Diego
East Price Center Ballroom
9500 Gilman Dr.
La Jolla, CA 92092

DIRECTIONS:
- From the North -
  • Take the 5 South
    [*]Exit on La Jolla Village Drive
    [*]Right on La Jolla Village Drive
    [*]Right on Via La Jolla
    [*]Straight into the Gilman Parking Structure
- From the South -
  • Take the 5 North
    [*]Exit on Gilman Drive
    [*]Left onto Gilman Drive
    [*]Pass Via La Jolla intersection
    [*]Left into the Gilman Parking Structure

SCHEDULE:
SATURDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Set-ups/Registration
  • 12:00 PM - Singles Pools 1
  • 6:00 PM - Doubles Pools
  • 9:00 PM - Doors close
SUNDAY:
  • 10:00 AM - Doors open: Finish any of Doubles Pools
  • 11:30 AM - Singles Pools 2
  • 2:30 PM - Doubles Bracket 64-team
  • 5:30 PM - Singles Bracket 64-man
  • 9:00 PM - Doors close
TOURNAMENT RULE SET:
POOLS:
  • There will be pools, this means more play time
  • Top 4 teams in each pool will advance from doubles into a 64-team double elimination bracket
  • Every entrant will have a minimum of 5 sets, depending on pool sizes
  • Top 4 players in each pool will advance from the first round of pools
  • Top 2 players in each pool will advance from the second round of pools
  • Depending on attendance will likely yield a 64-man double elimination bracket
SINGLES AND DOUBLES:
  • Double Elimination
  • Team Attack ON
  • Items OFF
  • 8:00 Time Limit
  • 3 stock
  • Life stealing is allowed in doubles
  • All Sets are Best 2 out of 3
  • All Finals are Best 3 out of 5
STAGES:
Neutrals:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counterpicks:
  • Brinstar
  • Castle Siege
  • Corneria [Doubles only]
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Green Greens [Doubles only]
  • Halberd
  • Jungle Japes
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Pictochat
  • Rainbow Cruise
Banned:
  • 75m
  • Big Blue
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Distant Planet
  • Flat Zone 2
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Hanenbow
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mario Circuit
  • Mushroomy Kingdom
  • Norfair
  • Onett
  • Pirate Ship
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Rumble Falls
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Skyworld
  • Spear Pillar
  • Summit
  • Temple
  • WarioWare, Inc.
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)
STAGE AND CHARACTER SELECTION
You may ask for a double blind pick first round. Stages are chosen using the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set. There must be an odd number of starter stages..
  • After the first round, the winner of the previous round chooses one stage to ban.
  • The loser chooses one stage to ban.You MAY ban NEUTRAL stages.
  • Loser chooses a valid stage.
  • Winner chooses character.
  • Loser will choose character.
When Counterpicking, you cannot go back to a stage that you have already won on.

FACING THE SAME OPPONENT
There is NO extending sets upon playing the same opponent. Finals will be played as a best 3 of 5 set. If the player from the loser's bracket wins, another set will by played out.

ENTRY:
  • $15.00 Singles
  • $20.00 Doubles (per team)
  • TBA Crews

PRIZE DISTRIBUTION:
- SINGLES $2000 POT -
  • 1st - 50% - $1000
  • 2nd - 25% - $500
  • 3rd - 12.5% - $250
  • 4th - 7.5% - $150
  • 5th - 2.5% - $50
  • 5th - 2.5% - $50
- DOUBLES $2000 POT -
  • 1st - 50% - $500/$500
  • 2nd - 25% - $250/$250
  • 3rd - 15% - $150/$150
  • 4th - 10% - $100/$100
Payouts are most likely to be conducted in the form of blank checks with a fixed sum. 1st place winners will receive giant checks.

FOOD AND SERVICES:
There is plenty of food at Price Center: Round Table, Rubio's, Subway, Panda Express, Shogun, Jamba Juice, Burger King, Bombay Coast, Tapioca Express, Desserts, and Santorini Island Grill. There are also several public restrooms located just outside the venue.

COURTESY:
San Diego is happy place, lets keep it that way. Refrain from all fights and serious arguments, you guys know how to behave. Throw away your trash and respect our campus. Be sure to SHOWER and wear deodorant too. Nothing worse than a room filled with sweaty gamers.

TVS AND WIIs:
UCSD Sixth College Tech Committee can provide us with 20 TVs as well as a projector. We must provide our own Wiis, so we will need A LOT of Wiis. The venue has security, so hopefully theft won't be an issue. The target goal is 28 TVs to all of SoCal. Those who bring a full set-up will be given a $5.00 discount from singles. Be warned though, if you bring a TV please expect to stay until the end of day 2. We can't afford to have people taking TVs home in the middle of the tournament. Even if you are eliminated in day one, there are plenty of other games and exciting matches to watch or participate in.

PLEASE BRING TVS AND WIIS

LHG

Smash Journeyman
Hope lots of out of region people head over. Last year was a blast. :)

This is gonna ****.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Time to show SoCal the NEW SD smashers. ;)

Definitely going to make this...a bit of wait before it happens but it sounds like it's going to be great already. Hopefully the turnout is great, because I want to play some Tekken and DotA too!

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
Not to sound rude, but I think we should probably try to keep the whole Melee > Brawl stuff at a minimum. I don't know, it just sounds a bit reasonable since this IS a Brawl (Among other games) tournament.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Not to sound rude, but I think we should probably try to keep the whole Melee > Brawl stuff at a minimum. I don't know, it just sounds a bit reasonable since this IS a Brawl (Among other games) tournament.
I'm going for Brawl/DotA lol.

Last year's DotA made me sad on the inside :[

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
SD Reaper, don't worry bud I'll host melee triweeklies along the way for sure. Unfortunately it really comes to what the majority of people want during majors. Melee Triweeklies = 20 ish people usually, Bawlr Triweeklies = 80ish.

Either way it'd be pretty silly not to go, there are tons of free games and probably a load of skilled OOS smashers in both bawlr and melee. Not to mention I'm sure melee fans are going to come and set up theyre 4 or 5 TVs in a corner somewhere

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I suggest you post this in the main tournaments section as well, so out of state people can see it and get a good early notice. It'll make it bigger. Maybe you already did.

mio

Smash Ace
This looks really awesome and I look forward to it. The rules and layout look perfect. Two things tough...

1. This is scheduled on the same day as Smash Bowl I (January 17th), a big 805 Brawl/Melee tournament that was posted a month ago and is already expected to have a substantial turn out of both communities. Please consider rescheduling.

Tournament Page: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2620

2. Could you also consider doing all of singles one day and all of doubles the next day or vice versa? Because if an entrant can only commit to one day and then ends up doing well, then he/she should be able to place and then go home on that same day. If it's an issue of pools or some other intricate plan then I understand, but one day per tournament would be nice if possible.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
2. Could you also consider doing all of singles one day and all of doubles the next day or vice versa? Because if an entrant can only commit to one day and then ends up doing well, then he/she should be able to place and then go home on that same day. If it's an issue of pools or some other intricate plan then I understand, but one day per tournament would be nice if possible.
I completely disagree, the point of having them on both days is so there will be the same amount of attendance, and noobs that get ***** early in doubles will still enter singles, whereas if they're on separate days, half the people will just leave because they got ***** and will find no point in entering.

festizzio

Smash Champion
1. When was III??? II was the one I went to I think, and that was January of this year. I think.
2. I could go to this, if brendan drives. :D
3. Will there be free bawls again?? :O

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Sorry mio, this has been planned since early June and the date is pretty much set in stone. If it were up to me I'd love to accommodate for the 805 tournament, but as it stands we only have the venue because of the 7 or 8 other games that are running simultaneously. The reason I waited so long to put everything was because of the financial specifics, tvs, security, and other nagging details.

I hear ya on having a doubles day and singles day, but not only would it decrease attendance, it would disrupt the overall flow of the tournament. Assuming we get 300+ people (which we should assume just so we're not surprised by anything) 1st round pools is going to take 5.5 hours even with 48 TVs. I'll elaborate on that in a bit. 2nd round will take another 3 hours, and finally the brackets will take around 4. Assuming there's NO downtime at all, which is a silly thing to do, that's 12.5 hours. We have from 12:00pm-10:00 ish each day. Obviously we wouldn't finish, and secondly singles would HAVE to be on the first day, so we could finish it the second.

As far as the tournament format goes, I've set it up to run as efficiently as possible. There will be 3 waves of pools during the first round. This way you'll know immediately whether you're going to play within the next hour and a half. 3 waves across 48 TVs leaves 16 pools, 3 TVs per pool with 6 or 7 people in each. So with 6 sets at approximately 6 minutes per match, I've alloted around 108 minutes per wave to finish. Of course with 3 waves thats 324 minutes ~ 5.4 hours. We'll have top 4 advance to second round pools leaving 192 players. Having a wave format also allows late entrants to enter in the 2nd or 3rd wave, not to mention we can get the tournament running the instant we have enough people for the first wave.

Now having doubles pools following first round singles allows the TOs time to organize 2nd pools, so in the event that first round singles and doubles pools finish with excess time, we can get 2nd round pools started. Doubles pools will be done in one wave: 21 pools of 6-7, 2 TVs per pool. Yes I realize we'll have 6 open TVs. Some pools with 7 will be granted an extra TV, some stragglers from round 1 singles, and some friendlies. It'll work out I promise. I also realize that with top 3 advancing we'll have 63 teams, tough cookies, someone gets a bye. Again with 6 sets at roughly 6 minutes per match, it'll take around 108 minutes just shy of 2 hours.

So we're looking around 8 hours of scheduled tournament play on the first day, plus downtime and possibly some 2nd round play. Hopefully with Edrees, Mango, and Neal all of this will run smoothly,but remember!!!! WE NEED TVS TO DO THIS. Even with the best management, we need materials to pull this off.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Do you have a schedule for all the games Pat?

Awex

Smash Lord
Looking forward to this one a lot.

Winter Game Fest earlier this year was my first tournament ever. =)

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
hahahah smash bowl 1, bigfoots no standing infinites cuz i main dk tourney
will not hold a candle to this

Top Bottom