• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-throw -> Side-B?

JeliJM

Smash Rookie
NNID
JeliJM
3DS FC
0533-8054-7113
I'm not 100% sure about this combo, someone please confirm or deconfirm this.

On fast-fallers (Fox, Falco, Captain Falcon), when they are around ~95% to ~125%, I've been able to almost consistently perform u-throw immediately into side-b before they hit the ground. Using smash side-b opposed to regular side-b seems to make this more consistent. However, when I have hit the regular side-b, I noticed that sometimes the opponent is in enough hitstun for me to follow up with an aerial if they are sent at the right trajectory.

Obviously, if the opponent doesn't DI the up-throw and just goes straight up, you can only follow up with nair or uair.

P.S., I've only tested this on level 1 and level 9 cpus on 20XX with random DI. The level 9 Fox has been able to nair before side-b connects, and the level 9 Falco has been able to nair or shine before side-b connects. Falco's shine hasn't hit, but it did prevent any damage or knockback done to him, so I'm assuming it clanks. I'm pretty sure that Fox can shine before side-b connects, but it probably just hasn't happened to me yet. Also, I was wondering if these fast options can be out beat if side-b was pressed soon enough after the u-throw for their moves to not be able to come out.

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tried that, sounds interesting. Currently the only use I have for side B is to surprise a Marth trying to edgeguard once as a gimmick when you really don't wanna take the ledge

Are there situations where you think side b would be a better option than nair off of a grab?

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
I tried testing this myself and was unable to replicate the results you described.
The side b was too slow to connect for it to combo, the CPU was able to jump out of it every time.
I tried it on Fox, Falco and C.Falcon, I was only able to connect on C.Falcon if he didn't double jump but its still not a true combo.

If you have a fast faller grabbed at these percents there are better options:
Fthrow/Bthrow off stage
Up throw > Nair for close DI
Late hit Dash attack to Nair/Regrab for hard DI left/right

JeliJM

Smash Rookie
NNID
JeliJM
3DS FC
0533-8054-7113
Thanks, I was a little bewildered and thinking that this couldn't have been a true combo

Top Bottom