• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Train Your Brain by Smashing! Dr. Kawashima for SSB4! (Deconfirmed, But at Least he's an AT!)

Do you expect Dr. Kawashima to be in the next Smash Bros?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that DS Virtual Console is coming to the Wii U, do you think the ol' doctor's chances had raised?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now that DS Virtual Console is coming to the Wii U, do you think the ol' doctor's chances had raised?
No.

BUT! I do think he'll get some recognition as a result. I'll be sorely disappointed if he doesn't at least get a trophy. Hoping for an Assist Trophy personally, or possible boss status.

Sorry Blue, still not sure if I want as a playable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No.

BUT! I do think he'll get some recognition as a result. I'll be sorely disappointed if he doesn't at least get a trophy. Hoping for an Assist Trophy personally, or possible boss status.

Sorry Blue, still not sure if I want as a playable.
Assist Trophy would be fine. Just just want the demon doctor to troll someone in Smash like Resetti.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think his chances have been unchanged, I'll sorely bet that this was planned after the final roster was complete we'll have to see if Sakurai sees his potential as a character. Personally I'm fine with an AT, boss, or playable, because either way, he's going to be fun with either of those roles.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
I always viewed Kawashima as the main focus of a really quirky Brain Age stage - his head is just in the background of the stage and you have to fight by rapidly jumping from mathematical equations, color names and miniature brains that are floating around.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So a Nintendo Direct tomorrow, as usual. I'm very pumped and have a gut feeling that Kawashima will be revealed in this direct. I just can't handle how much of a troll reveal it would be. :O
Could Dr. Kawashima be revealed you guys?

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You mean Smash Direct is next Tuesday ;)

And I highly doubt it, as a playable character. But we could get some ATs or something, and I could see him being one of those...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That poll seems oddly...one-dimensional.

I expect thbem to do something with the Brain Age games, but I'm unsure of what.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That poll seems oddly...one-dimensional.

I expect thbem to do something with the Brain Age games, but I'm unsure of what.
Seconding that.

And considering that in Brawl we got one piece of music, I'm expecting something simple along those lines. I doubt we'll see Kawashima himself in the game, though.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Brain Age for sure is getting representation, I'm sure of that, we'll probably get a stage based on Concentration Training, depends really. I'm seriously hoping for playable status.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
In regards to the whole Dr. Kawashima vs. Dr. Lobe debate:
The official website for Big Brain Academy actually cites Brain Age as the game that started the educational game trend. Thus, Dr. Kawashima comes first. Big Brain Academy was different from Brain Age because the training exercises looked like games and because there was a strong emphasis on multiplayer.

That being said, it's unlikely that Sakurai would get the Doctor's permission to appear in the game. Also, the Doctor has appeared on other systems, making him less of a "Nintendo" all-star. Therefore, I'm not sure that he would make it in.

Dr. Lobe doesn't have the popularity, but he still has moveset potential from his two games. I own both Big Brain Academy series, but I don't have any of the Brain Age games, so I have a bigger attachment to him.

Now I have an urge to make a Dr. Lobe thread.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
In regards to the whole Dr. Kawashima vs. Dr. Lobe debate:
The official website for Big Brain Academy actually cites Brain Age as the game that started the educational game trend. Thus, Dr. Kawashima comes first. Big Brain Academy was different from Brain Age because the training exercises looked like games and because there was a strong emphasis on multiplayer.

That being said, it's unlikely that Sakurai would get the Doctor's permission to appear in the game. Also, the Doctor has appeared on other systems, making him less of a "Nintendo" all-star. Therefore, I'm not sure that he would make it in.

Dr. Lobe doesn't have the popularity, but he still has moveset potential from his two games. I own both Big Brain Academy series, but I don't have any of the Brain Age games, so I have a bigger attachment to him.

Now I have an urge to make a Dr. Lobe thread.
His floating polygon head version has not appeared in other non-Nintendo systems however.
I'm getting slightly skeptical about the permission idea, since Brain Age has its own Streetpass puzzle with Kawashima, which I would slight doubt Nintendo needed permission for that.
Was your first point against Kawashima, because I would find it pretty likely given that the Brain Age games is a pretty big franchise like Wii Fit.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think the thread title needs to be changed.

Although, technically speaking, there was an arguable troll reveal that day.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Only 9 more days till E3, whether he's a boss, AT, or playable, I hope there's some form of Brain Age representation (Which I'm certain we'll get in SSB4) at the E3 Q+A and Direct. My heart is racing as E3 gets closer, I hope he's the troll reveal we get like last year. Cross your fingers Brain Age supporters!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Who's to say we'll even get a troll reveal this time around? Pulling off that kind of stunt for a second E3 in a row wouldn't be very well received.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
One more day till the potential reveal!
I honestly just want a surprise character to be revealed at E3, whether it's Kawashima or not, I just want tears.
Except for the Chorus Men though, the Salromano already ruined the surprise factor for me. :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
One more day till the potential reveal!
I honestly just want a surprise character to be revealed at E3, whether it's Kawashima or not, I just want tears.
Except for the Chorus Men though, the Salromano already ruined the surprise factor for me. :p
No. More. Curveball characters

Unless Isaac counts as one?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
So no Kawashima, ah well, it was worth making this thread anyways and all the fun moments I had with him.
With that said, I give up on predicting Kawashima appearing as playable now.
At least I got tears for the inevitable Gematsu character reveal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At least people can stop using the "Nintendo characters based on real life people cannot be in Smash" argument now that we have Dr. Wright and Dr. Kawashima as Assist Trophies... and everybody in the world as Mii Fighters.

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I would take R.I.P. out of the title as since Kawashima is a real person that might have unfortunate implications.

I really like the AT, though. Creative stuff!

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
At least people can stop using the "Nintendo characters based on real life people cannot be in Smash" argument now that we have Dr. Wright and Dr. Kawashima as Assist Trophies... and everybody in the world as Mii Fighters.
It hasn't been disproven as far as who might be a playable character. I never said Dr. Kawashima was impossible as an AT, but I knew there was no chance of him being playable.

Dr. Wright, however, is named after a real person, not based on him. Plenty of characters are named after real people and it means nothing - in fact Mario himself is named after a real person. He bears no resemblance to Will Wright. So he has no relevance to that argument.

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Huh. What an obscure way to deconfirm someone. This picture can be found in the new Assist Trophy page on the official website. It's in the How to Play section. Sorry, for your loss, and it probably means Dr. Lobe isn't playable either. Darn.

jfed8888

Smash Cadet
I would have loved for him to be playable, but at least being an AT is a step in the great door of Smash. Maybe he'll be promoted to an actual playable character in 5, like Little Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom