• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Snap Back

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce a new series: Tech of the Week! This week marks the fifth video of the series and in a clever parody of a certain well known anime covers a specific part of edgeguarding dubbed the "Snap Back"

For players who have seen the other videos in the series like Ledge Denials, Hip Check, Prattacks, and Fast Fall Break it is noticable that each Tech of the Week has a unique number next to it. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game, so be sure to check out each Tech of the Week!

SmashCapps hopes that people will use this to properly learn to attack players on the ledge. To keep up with him and all things Smash, follow him on Twitter.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
...I've not even watched Cowboy Bebop personally, and I recognize it...

as for this tech, basically what you're saying is that a recovery that vanishes from sight has a very brief instant where you can hit them before they grab the edge... am I understanding this right?

[if so, finding attacks best suited for this might not be easy for everyone...]

Last edited:

Jya

Smash Rookie
Good to know Tourney Locator has excellent taste in anime. :chuckle:

⑨ball

Smash Ace

as for this tech, basically what you're saying is that a recovery that vanishes from sight has a very brief instant where you can hit them before they grab the edge... am I understanding this right?

It's actually every recovery that's vulnerable like this. Teleport types are the easiest to demonstrate because of their invincibility.

I'm also fairly certain the vulnerability frames are closer to something like 3-5 so every character should have some reasonable options.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
am I understanding this right?

You're half right. When anyone uses an up-b that auto-snaps to the ledge, they are vulnerable for that one frame. It's just easier to use this tech on a teleporter because they don't have an active hitbox when invisible.

Try choosing, say, Fox and Fire Foxing to the ledge at 1/4 speed. You'll see that he also does the ledge snap animation, and he therefore can be punished the same way Sheik could in the video.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
You're half right. When anyone uses an up-b that auto-snaps to the ledge, they are vulnerable for that one frame. It's just easier to use this tech on a teleporter because they don't have an active hitbox when invisible.

Try choosing, say, Fox and Fire Foxing to the ledge at 1/4 speed. You'll see that he also does the ledge snap animation, and he therefore can be punished the same way Sheik could in the video.
the catch I see then is that unless an attack were to have some range, I doubt it'd be easy to aim the punish without getting struck by the recovery...

I dunno, precision isn't necessarily my strongest suit, especially with chances that are technically a few sixtieths of a second long... [the video did try to demonstrate it, but the parody effects muddled some details]

Last edited:

KCB: Cloth

Killer Combro
I'm liking the fact that these techs are getting attention, so that more players will get evenly equipped.

Maybe for glory will get more technical players =o)

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I must confess I didn't think about how characters usually don't have a hand on the ledge until several frames into their snap animation. Good video.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer

You can snap back any character any time they reach the ledge whether it's from a vanish, teleport, or a simply jump grab.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I
the catch I see then is that unless an attack were to have some range, I doubt it'd be easy to aim the punish without getting struck by the recovery...

I dunno, precision isn't necessarily my strongest suit, especially with chances that are technically a few sixtieths of a second long... [the video did try to demonstrate it, but the parody effects muddled some details]
I got a Falco Dair on a Mewtwo today because of this. I'm pissed that I forgot to save it though. It's actually pretty easy with a little practice. I'll PM you if you want 1 on 1 practice with it. Who do you play?

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
or a simply jump grab.
That's actually incorrect. When an up-b hits the ledge, there's a special ledge snap that has the vulnerability window. A regular ledge grab doesn't actually have that window.

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's actually incorrect. When an up-b hits the ledge, there's a special ledge snap that has the vulnerability window. A regular ledge grab doesn't actually have that window.
You're wrong.

Look at the video (which I made exactly to show this).

Luigi can l-tilt villager from a normal ledge grab and activate the snap back.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
So basically make sure to have an active hitbox on the ledge the moment the opponent is going to grab onto it?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
The one time I got this seems to check out. It seems ZSS' foot is sticking out below the edge. I'll have to try and characterize just how far below the stage she's able to do that...

Smash Ace
Snap Back? Sounds like Melee to me! I don't want to snap my back!

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
You're wrong.

Look at the video (which I made exactly to show this).

Luigi can l-tilt villager from a normal ledge grab and activate the snap back.
Yeah, I'm sorry. I went back and watched the video and I noticed that too, and the one with Yoshi's jump. Sorry for anybody who listened to me. And sorry for doubting the ****ing person who made the video.

busken

Smash Ace
This is no tech this is simple positional edge guarding...Why are so much of these things in excess when they are honestly not that note worthy?

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Who do you play?
Robin, ZSS, Dark Pit... maybe second Shulk and Little Mac.

You can snap back any character any time they reach the ledge whether it's from a vanish, teleport, or a simply jump grab.
so the timing to it is right when they get within range of grabbing the ledge? I can certainly find it easier with lasting strikes like some Nairs... but getting the timing down with my mains might take awhile.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141

I understand the issue of having to time things by frames (its sort of like, impossible), but if you have a really long lasting hitbox or multiple hits you don't have to work as hard. For example, Peach can space her dair so that all her kicks land on the ledge, but she's not on the ledge and therefore, cant get hit. Other example are projectiles like Links bomb, or a Z-Dropped Metal blade. It's not helpful unless you learn its specific uses for you and your play style (you might not use it at all), but if you do, its priceless

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Robin, ZSS, Dark Pit... maybe second Shulk and Little Mac.

so the timing to it is right when they get within range of grabbing the ledge? I can certainly find it easier with lasting strikes like some Nairs... but getting the timing down with my mains might take awhile.
Yes, that's right. The timing is the very beginning of their "lunge" to grab the ledge. Using lasting or lingering aerials is also a good idea. As for your characters, Dark Pit has great lingering nair, fair and uair. For style (I play Pit) try using Dair, or better yet, Guardian Orbitars. It's literally fantastic. As for Robin and ZSS, I'd say try Elwind and dairs for Robin and fair and uair for ZSS.

And don't try it with Little Mac. :seuss:

SuperSwagBros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xCocho
Idk about you guys but I'm liking these suggestions.

Omega Gaur Plains can be an optional replacement to Final Destination because its amazing music makes it even more suitable than FD to a certain degree in being an actual "Final Destination

Zero and mango shouldn't be allowed in tournaments

Garden of Hope should be a starter, just so the Aristocrab can shape the new meta.

All stages should be legal. People blame the stage itself for their failure when clearly they failed to properly utilize the stage to their advantage

FD's background way too distracting.

Final Destination Should be banned and replaced because the background animation, it is really annoying to play on that stage.

I believe double villager should be banned because if one villager pockets anothers tree, it will kill at 0 it can come out at any time

L E G A L I Z E P O K E F L O A T S

ridley or riot

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So if I understand this... To perform a Snap Back you have to make sure your aim is just slightly below the character 'cause that's where their hurtbox is.

Then you throw out a meaty enough attack, it hits them, and then they're knocked off screen and their teammate is forced into play. You also remove any Red Life that teammate had? Am I right? Also, whens Mahvel?

Seriously, I was a little confused at first when I saw "Snap Back" tech being mentioned on the Home Page. Dunno what the "Back" part implies. What about "Snap Off"? The attack does get them off the ledge.

I mean who knows. Maybe there won't be any terminology confusion in the future since this is a totally different game. But it could be a bit jarring to hear "Snap Back" in the middle of a Smash match.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
All stages should be legal. People blame the stage itself for their failure when clearly they failed to properly utilize the stage to their advantage...
Bwahaha, SO true!

Top Bottom