• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week: Delay

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
One Smash in partnership Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the series: Tech of the Week! This week marks the seventh video of the series, and takes inspiration from another Nintendo title while providing quite the unusual voice talent. Tech #96: Delay

Even though this is the seventh video of the series it is titled tech number 96. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. The other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break, Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree.

SmashCapps hopes that people can use this to better their ledgeguarding in game. To keep up with him and all things Smash, follow him on Twitter.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Tech of the Week is a major factor as to why I watch Tourney Locator every Wednesday when possible. They put some good effort into these videos.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
They post this video, like nearly a day ago.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
They post this video, like nearly a day ago.
Great! Now they'll get an extra push of viewers after the initial bunch they got!

But on top of that, we covered a bunch of stuff yesterday too. Not everything can be done right away and there's advantages to not doing so.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes I worry that we go too far with KrazyKart metaphors.

If you have any questions about tech contact me or just use twitter @ServingSmash

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Ooooor you can be a luigi player and simply turn backwards at the ledge with your up b to avoid grabbing it.
#LuigiTechs

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
A particularly relevant tech for a Mario Kart nerd like myself...

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Once again. Brawl had this, this isn't a tech and nothing unusual but of course some will become flabbergasted sigh.

Last edited:

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
I really enjoyed the Mario Kart philosophy they had going on for this video. I find this kind of technique and usage could be extremely beneficial at higher levels of play and also allows for another set of mixups for a player to use to give themselves an advantage within the match. I'm going to attempt using this philosophy against an opponent who could be predictable off-stage trying to recover to the ledge.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Once again. Brawl had this, this isn't a tech and nothing usual but of course some will be flabbergasted sigh.
Melee has it as well. Even if it's not new to you, it's still tech. You don't have to be negative because you know a bit about the game.

Also, the application is new for Smash 4 because the ledge is different. Using delay before was a good way to get yourself edge hogged. Now it's a good way to get an advantage.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Melee has it as well. Even if it's not new to you, it's still tech. You don't have to be negative because you know a bit about the game.

Also, the application is new for Smash 4 because the ledge is different. Using delay before was a good way to get yourself edge hogged. Now it's a good way to get an advantage.
It's not a tech AT ALL, isn't it quite pathetic and pitiful to view anything is a "tech" because Smash-4 is a new game and so should be treated like royalty, no; Brawl is the game that needs to be treated like royalty. Smash-4 will never bring the true competitive nature of someone like Brawl did between Smash-4 and Brawl. And Smash-4 has no techniques that define a good "how did he do that that was quite impressive" type of feeling. But whatsoever, it's a "tech" sure. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's not a tech AT ALL, isn't it quite pathetic and pitiful to view anything is a "tech" because Smash-4 is a new game and so should be treated like royalty, no; Brawl is the game that needs to be treated like royalty. Smash-4 will never bring the true competitive nature of someone like Brawl did between Smash-4 and Brawl. And Smash-4 has no techniques that define a good "how did he do that that was quite impressive" type of feeling. But whatsoever, it's a "tech' sure. Thanks.
It doesn't matter where it originated. Not everyone who plays Smash is aware of everything the game has to offer so a few ones would definitely find the information in this videos useful, but it's good to see that you realized that the video wasn't catered towards you.

isn't it quite pathetic and pitiful to view anything is a "tech" because Smash-4 is a new game and so should be treated like royalty, no; Brawl is the game that needs to be treated like royalty.
The way this can summed up: "I like Brawl therefore everyone should love it and pay attention to it. I hate Smash 4 therefore everyone should neglect it and stop playing it"; there is no need to be base and childish because of people liking this game. Getting mad at this sort of thing is silly but you must be going through a miserable phase.

diclonyuus

Smash Rookie
And Smash-4 has no techniques that define a good "how did he do that that was quite impressive" type of feeling. .
can I please see you applying MALLC into perfect pivot usmash in a proper match? lel

I like the videos, though I really appreciate that this time the technique wasn't quite as niche as some of their other stuff posted before.
Keep up the good work, lads :)

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
COOLIO MANE THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL PogChamp SIKE , when you're playing mario and miss the ledge snap and you get punished for it

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Competitive?
Brawl?
No competitive Hide and Seek, yes genius, COMPETITIVE BRAWL. I honestly do give you my pity, feeding on all those bs lies about Brawl. If only you knew what Brawl truly is then would shut up and understand.

Would you like a long but detailed history lesson about, brawl? First thing you must know about Brawl, what is it? Well, Brawl is the ONLY GAME to change the Tier list more than Melee and Smash-64 combined, what does that mean?

It means people defined the odds of their certain characters and bought them to a higher caliber than originally seen as in general. Brawl had techniques to help characters like Diddy Kong, oh where would Diddy Kong be without Glide tossing, so that is why techniques help change a character's flaws. There you go, this is a sample of what my history lesson towards what Brawl is all about. Thanks.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
As someone whose main has one of the nastiest trump->bair setups in the game...this is interesting.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
It doesn't matter where it originated. Not everyone who plays Smash is aware of everything the game has to offer so a few ones would definitely find the information in this videos useful, but it's good to see that you realized that the video wasn't catered towards you.

The way this can summed up: "I like Brawl therefore everyone should love it and pay attention to it. I hate Smash 4 therefore everyone should neglect it and stop playing it"; there is no need to be base and childish because of people liking this game. Getting mad at this sort of thing is silly but you must be going through a miserable phase.
No, I'm just waiting for the majority to quit drinking cough syrup and realize the game has nothing to offer that hasn't been seen before. All Nintendo did was create the same game with a little twist, what is that? Oh man new characters (didn't see that coming) simpler game-play (I uh didn't see that coming), nerf-ing (leaves).

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Are you going to be coming out with a video for each skill on the tech tree? Also, what does each color signify on the tree (blue box, blue vs red numbers)?

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you going to be coming out with a video for each skill on the tech tree? Also, what does each color signify on the tree (blue box, blue vs red numbers)?
Yes, we should have a video for each number on the tech tree. Some things are really simple well known techs, so we'll bundle those together. But for the new stuff, they each get their own video.

Red = attacking based tech.

Blue = movement

Black = information (non-tech).

More colors to come.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
The delay is one of the best options Samus has on a shielding opponent at the ledge since her up-b easily eats shields until they break.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
No, I'm just waiting for the majority to quit drinking cough syrup and realize the game has nothing to offer that hasn't been seen before. All Nintendo did was create the same game with a little twist, what is that? Oh man new characters (didn't see that coming) simpler game-play (I uh didn't see that coming), nerf-ing (leaves).
You will be waiting far longer then. People who play this game do so because they like it and not because they are deluded, although it appears that doesn't let you sleep at night somehow.
The gameplay of the Smash series has always been simple yet deep and this game is no less simpler than the previous ones so it can't really count as a negative point against it (plus you never bother to go into details), but of course you have a problem with people being able to pick up and learn to play a game quickly for some ungodly reason.

And you really don't have the skill level to claim that this game has nothing to offer, you played the game like once or twice before passing judgment, and even so you were completely set on hating Smash 4 probably before it was announced or released; and added to that your background as an anti-Nintendo/die-hard Sega fanboy (the irony) don't give you a higher moral standing or credibility in this discussion. Sure, you can tell me how "pro" you are at Brawl, but that and this game are two different things of their own as well despite being similar.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
@ kirbykid kirbykid disregarding the debate over viewpoints, I'm now kind of curious...

the guy pointed out how this was in brawl, and many other tricks from this series have also been pointed out as such... does this mean that all of them carry over from Brawl, or are there some Smash 4 original tricks?

side question, over how many of these tips and tricks are there? do they break 110 or so?

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
@ kirbykid kirbykid disregarding the debate over viewpoints, I'm now kind of curious...

the guy pointed out how this was in brawl, and many other tricks from this series have also been pointed out as such... does this mean that all of them carry over from Brawl, or are there some Smash 4 original tricks?

side question, over how many of these tips and tricks are there? do they break 110 or so?
There are at least several new tricks (perfect pivoting and the snapback thing and ledge trump and some new thing that's kind of similar to glidetossing from Brawl but different). Also, judging from the fact that we just got tech #96, and it's all on one tree on which every tech has a number, there seems to be at least 100.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
You will be waiting far longer then. People who play this game do so because they like it and not because they are deluded, although it appears that doesn't let you sleep at night somehow.
The gameplay of the Smash series has always been simple yet deep and this game is no less simpler than the previous ones so it can't really count as a negative point against it (plus you never bother to go into details), but of course you have a problem with people being able to pick up and learn to play a game quickly for some ungodly reason.

And you really don't have the skill level to claim that this game has nothing to offer, you played the game like once or twice before passing judgment, and even so you were completely set on hating Smash 4 probably before it was announced or released; and added to that your background as an anti-Nintendo/die-hard Sega fanboy (the irony) don't give you a higher moral standing or credibility in this discussion. Sure, you can tell me how "pro" you are at Brawl, but that and this game are two different things of their own as well despite being similar.
That's not the reason like 25% the reason, but the main reason is exactly how in the world it's better than Brawl. Oh yes "tripping" "MK" what else? "Floaty" I have no idea what that even means. "Planking" pretty sure every other Smash game does that, what else? And I always enjoyed Sega more than Nintendo that will never change no matter what. I don't care to be called a "pro" I see myself in a different perception than that category of titles. I'm not what you believe I am and you never will towards that. I don't follow people, I don't care about other people following the next trend of whatsoever it may be. I don't care what others think about myself, if you believe that then you're ultimately delusional for believing so.

What makes no sense to myself or (the minority) that can't really rearrange this problem because we're out numbered. Though I still don't follow the minority, we're really just put together towards our enjoyment of Brawl and how much more enjoyable it is. I played Smash-4 for a whole week, battled non stop to understand this towards myself "is that all seriously this id too easy and boring to actually put time and effort towards this game". I already knew Diddy was going to be the best character before "everyone else declared this decision" and I was right. I believed ZSS was better than Sheik and I still believe that but meh don't care anymore about that subjective topic.

Now if you really want me to get into details towards Smash-4, then you'll be reading for a while so, I intend to minimize the capacity of my paragraphs to a minimal towards that combustible subjective conundrum. Thanks.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980

Bodied.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
I hope you realize that the Smash-4 players are the ones who started this new Era of arguments. "You reap what you sow" and that's what the Smash-4 players are getting, oh how many thought this would be a new mark of everyone enjoying Smash-4 more than any other game and most importantly "Brawl is a malfeasted low life game" written in my own words.

They cannot blame anyone but themselves for thinking so highly of the game then receiving a different outcome. The only time anyone can break the laws of attraction is if the outcome is 100% flawless that can even over-power nature as itself.

Remember this, whatsoever they believe will come true turns out to NEVER come true. The law of attraction and belief. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom