• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Tool] Master Hand v1.20 (Melee Character File Viewer)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The Project M Back Room collaborated to develop a Melee character file viewer in order to port knockback/damage/hitbox sizes/hitbox timings/physics directly from Melee. The program is fairly limited in that it can only open moveset files and it can't edit them, however its uses for learning are substantial.

Master Hand v1.20

DAT files

Source

after you get everything downloaded and unzipped, here's a quick tutorial:

Open Master Hand.
File -> Open. Browse to the version & character you want. There are two files in each folder, one of them is the one you want. Then you'll want to head over to the Subactions tab. Scroll through until you find the subaction you want for the attack you want. Specials are tricky and aren't always able to be found. For aerials, look for AttackAir(first letter of direction). For tilts, Attack3(direction. U, S, or D for up side down). Smashes, Attack4(same). For jabs it's just Attack11, Attack12, Attack13, and Attack100 for a loop. Dash attack it's AttackDash. Throws are ThrowF/B/D/U.

for hitboxes there'll usually be an asynchronous timer before them. the frame count for it is when the hitbox is active. same for Allow Interrupt/IASA. the rest should be fairly self-explanatory.

Hit me up on AIM or post here if you need anything else. Oh, and Attributes is the physics tab. :p

nube

Smash Apprentice
awesome. was starting to wonder if this would ever be released!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hey not gonna lie.

I kinda love this.

Don't misunderstand though! I'm only giving the team due credit...it's not like I'm grateful or anything like that...

/animu

obv :012:

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wow, I didn't think you guys were going to release this until the PM final build.

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
what does "auto cancel?" means? somekind of IASA? it is on some walk, run, runbreak and stuff.

kinda different from the Brawl Project SA, but understandable in some terms ^^ hope all the unknowns## get to be known in the future, thx for this!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Auto Cancel means if you land on those frames during the move, you go into normal landing (usually 4 frames of landlag for most characters) instead of the aerial's landlag. They should match-up with SDM's Frame Data's listings.

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
Auto Cancel means if you land on those frames during the move, you go into normal landing (usually 4 frames of landlag for most characters) instead of the aerial's landlag. They should match-up with SDM's Frame Data's listings.
Thank you very much SB. Now only need BrawlBox .66 for moveset editor and fix tons of stuff just for fun ^^

Edit1:

Hitbox sizes are kinda huge, I've seen from size 500 to 1000 atm on bowser files. How do I convert this melee sizes to brawl size (PSA)?

Edit2:

I can see there Asynch Timer [0] in MH, is it like in PSA (brawl) where asynch [0] is 1st frame of animation, and if it says Asynch. timer frame [10] it's frame 11?

Edit3:

I got help on question on Edit2 already and about edit1 it's ok ^^ the converter is secret and must until PM finish doing their awsome job :D

Thx CK

Edit4 >.> *I edit and try not to bumb atleast ;)*

bowsers Loop hitboxes from melee to brawls matchs exactly on everything. and thx to that I found a way to manually convert the hitbox sizes from melee to brawls :) *keeps messing with melee files*

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Can't believe I never realized this until now, but:

D-Air Landing Lag and U-Air Landing Lag labels are mixed-up. Kinda a big deal...I guess?

Acryte

Smash Ace
I understand masterhand was developed for P:M and so there was no need to edit the files etc. however when using it to help with melee editing it is frustrating that it pulls data from different places but doesn't tell you in a column what locations that data is coming from. IT WOULD BE AMAZING if we could simply have a column added next to stuff that simply listed the address it came from in the dat file. Is there any way possible someone in the back room could add this minor functionality? I can't imagine it being a very difficult thing to add and it would make editing so much easier.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Problem is the only one with the source code is Dantarion and he's a ***** to contact. Haven't been able to contact him since like october.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Even though it doesn't give you an offset it's still pretty easy to find it. Just copy the hex data it shows you and do a search for that in a hex editor. See if the lines after it match what's in master hand and there you go.

Acryte

Smash Ace
I know that but its a slow process compared to how streamlined it could be :X

phish-it

Smash Champion
I love you Strong Bad. This is like, a dream come true. Well looks like I probably wont be playing standard melee anymore.

Magus420

Smash Master
MasterHand v1.10

This is a hacked version (lol) that modifies an assembly command from the "get_Element" function, so that it uses the correct bits and displays the element properly. Darkness displays as Ice however because Darkness was forgotten in the compiled list originally I guess. The change was: MeleeLib.dll @0xAFD; 18 -> 1E (ldc.i4.2 -> ldc.i4.8).

I replaced the "ScrewAttack" string in the list with "Darkness" but I couldn't find where it does something like direct 00 to the "Normal" string, 01 to "Fire", etc, so there's still nothing to connect an element read as 0D to using "Darkness". Since I just changed the string, it's still tied to 0E so if a hitbox were to have ScrewAttack element for some reason it'd show as Darkness I would think.

Also fixed U/D-Air Landing Lag labels being switched. Couldn't fix n-air landing lag label since there's nothing where n-air should be.

The event labeled "Autocancel?" is a bit set (01) or bit clear (00) event btw. It's not specific to aerial landing lag/auto canceling (when bit is set you get landing lag, when clear you go into normal landing/autocancel).

Brandondorf9999

Smash Cadet
That one i thought that be because that allows me to identify the attack effects and change them. For some of them. I changed to darkness to some characters.

NoAh MenQui

Smash Apprentice
N-Air Landing Lag is below Normal Landing Lag. And I've seen the correct Landing Lag many times @0E8.

is there going to be another "hacked"/"Updated" version of master hand?

EDIT:

Trying to work on this -> newmeleeattributedata

Just made the names and organized it differently than the "newbrawlattributedata".

If only it could edit character files :-)

EDIT 2:

The melee attribute data already existed lol... Oh well, I left there all the data but lazy me stopped hences knowing it was already made somewhere. I had all the data covered, but did not deleted the offsets near the attributes.

Magus420

Smash Master
MasterHand v1.20

Darkness element added to hitbox element list. Elements display properly. Autocancel? renamed Bit Set/Clear. Goto and Subroutine labels swapped. Attributes completely updated. Window default size much larger, and attributes names default width much larger. Attribute 0x180 (weight dependent throw speed) displays as int (though the byte for it is on the left instead of right. convert it to hex and look at the left byte).

A subaction header is displayed that includes the offset of the subaction's script (displayed in decimal though, so convert it to hex). Moveset .dat file headers are 0x20 long so to find it in the file add 0x20 to ScriptOffsets, Gotos, Subroutines, etc.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Hey magus I figured out that the unknown command

0x0F! (3C 00 00 01)

is the "remove far grab box" command for up-b. they only appear in falcon and Ganon's .dat files that i'm aware of.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hey magus I figured out that the unknown command

0x0F! (3C 00 00 01)

is the "remove far grab box" command for up-b. they only appear in falcon and Ganon's .dat files that i'm aware of.
To expand on this, it's basically a specific hitbox remover where 01 correspond to Hitbox0, 02 to Hitbox0, etc.

While it is possible to get MH to read up to 7(?) hitboxes at once, the max in Melee is actually just four hitboxes. :/

And a lot of unknown commands aren't actually unknown. It's just whether or not anyone wants to sit down and properly write what each one is.

obv :222:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
FINALLY some competition =D

lol, I was beginning to get a little tired of being the only one working on the melee model format :)

too bad I can't DL from MF or I'd gladly look into it. ;D
(I know I can DL from DropBox)

does this program still use the old string testing method??
or have you actually figured out how the format works??

so far, for what I know, Kirby Air Ride uses the same format.

I've already gotten as far into it as I have with Melee, but had to use a different method instead of testing the string.
(in this case, Pl/Ty and VcStar files work properly)
^ Gr files get mistaken for Pl files

Anand

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool if there were a way to use this that didn't involve downloading and running programs that could do anything as far as I know (from a security point of view).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol. If you don't trust the program don't use it. I didn't even make it and I trust it.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Yep, I haven't used it yet (even though I heard about it back when this thread was originally posted). It sounds cool though.

Would it be possible to publish all the data on the web in a human-readable format? Presumably this could be automated, given the data and logic from the stuff that I'm too scared to download.

I'm assuming this will let me answer questions like "at what angle does Falcon's forward smash launch the opponent" which is information that I haven't been able to find anywhere online (other than scattered forum posts with single pieces of information that aren't sourced), which is why I was so interested when this was first announced.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's possible. If someone's interested in doing such a thing, they can contact me and I can track down the source code for this.

Top Bottom