• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toez - Overcoming the Odds by Thinking on his Feet!

Competing in Smash with two hands can be difficult as it is, but how about playing with just one? This is the reality of ToeZ, a Smasher from Ontario, Canada. Due to a difficult labor and medical malpractice, his left shoulder broke during birth. After a life-saving operation, he was diagnosed with Erb's Palsy. He has not let this stop him; as his tag suggests, he uses his left toe to play games and compete in Smash. We tracked him down to learn about his amazing story.

---​

SmashCapps
: Why don't you introduce yourself to the readers?

ToeZ: Well, my gamer tag is ToeZ, and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm a smasher who has a slight hindrance with my left arm but that didn't stop me! So, I adapted and learned to use my big left toe and right hand.

SmashCapps: So explain to the folks reading, how exactly do you play?

ToeZ: I started out with one hand, but that all changed on the N64, at that time I was only 5-6 and my fingers weren't long enough to play how I usually do. I thought to myself for quite a bit about how to overcome this and my conclusion was to just sit with my right leg crossed legged on the floor, but have my left leg out and in a comfortable position so I could use it for the analog. After some trial and error, I finally beat my first game Super Mario 64. Because of how new I was to this, my brain signals to my leg came off delayed and I would miss inputs a lot as well as go through a few controllers.

ToeZ's Toes In Action

SmashCapps: How long did it take before you became "fluent" in playing like this?

ToeZ: Years and Years. Any multiplayer game I played, I always came in last (Mario Kart 64, Starfox, Goldeneye). I was determined to be able to compete with my friends, to feel normal and equal at the same time. It wasn't until I started playing Smash 64 did I actually feel like I was in control of my character, and myself. When I finally beat my closest friend in Smash 64, He got up and said he was proud of me. Looking back, we both weren't very good but the fact he could accept a loss and from someone who didn't play the same way was what sparked my passion for competitive gaming.

SmashCapps
: Your big start was in Smash 64, when did you start getting into the competitive side of Smash?

ToeZ: At the time, I was only playing against friends or friends of friends whom I felt comfortable around. I used to be really shy and self conscious in front of strangers, and got vibes that I was looked down upon because I was different. I didn't actually start attending tournaments till 2007, it was a melee local that me and a group of friends went to last minute. I never felt more welcome by people I've never met and only had smash in common with. I entered as falco/marth and was able to poorly waveshine, short hop laser and l cancel/short hop fast fall my aerials. I ended up getting top 16 while turning heads and dropping jaws during my sets haha

SmashCapps: So since then, your experiences in the Smash community have remained positive in regards to your disability?

ToeZ: More than I could have ever imagined back then. I've never met more supportive people till I actually got involved with smash. At tournaments in present time, I need a special set up because of how I've been playing. My legs aren't as short as they used to be, so I need back support and a tv/monitor that's somewhat level with my eyes so I don't strain my neck. All the tournament organizers I've met have only been welcoming and helpful and everyone I've played has been humble and a good sport

SmashCapps: You said that TOs have been supportive. Do you travel for events, and if so what is your process for figuring out how you can play at an event?

ToeZ: Back in the day I would mostly just bus out from my city to Toronto (2 hour ride) and make my way to the venue. Now, because of my local smash community I can carpool with fellow smashers and can find housing near the tournament from smashers as well. In order to get a special set up I have to message the head T.O in advanced so he can arrange that for me.

ToeZ Taking On Mabey at Summit

SmashCapps
: Have you ever traveled outside of Canada? If so, how have the experiences been there?

ToeZ: 2009 was the only time I traveled out of Canada. It was a small brawl tournament in Buffalo, New York. It was mostly me and the group of smashers I went with, not many of the locals were talkative. My passport recently expired, but I plan on getting it renewed and getting more experience.

SmashCapps
: So what are your current goals then for Smashing? I saw that you also enjoy speedrunning, are you going for any records?

ToeZ: For smashing, my current main goal is to expand my region's interest in the game and to have more local tournaments. Currently I host Wii U weeklies on Tuesday's and Friday's. I also want to improve as well, but that will come in time. A big dream of mine is to meet Brolylegs while also getting to play him. He's a big inspiration to me! For speedrunning, I mostly play Super Mario Bros 3. and Super Mario World and it's mostly casually. I do want to get more involved with it and I'm sure I could get a WR for a one handed run haha

SmashCapps: That sounds awesome! What would you say is the best match you've played in Smash thus far?

ToeZ: I would say my best match would be in 2008. Me and a few locals went to Toronto for a Melee weekly at KirbyKaze's. It was my first set on the main tv and everyone was hyped to see me play and what I was capable of doing despite my condition. Even though I lost the set, seeing everyone believe in me and knowing I had the potential to compete with good players is always a highlight to me. I've improved greatly since then but that match/set still means a lot to this day

SmashCapps: So what would you tell any other disabled gamers reading if they wanted to try as you have to compete in Smash?

ToeZ: The most important thing is to not expect too much from yourself. Find a comfortable way to play, and start from there. My first goal when I started playing was movement and recovery, because I know I'd be getting hit more than anything. Being confidant in yourself and not to lose composure, there have been countless times where I'd give up mid game just because of the uphill battle, but I promise you it's worth it in the end. Thanks to technology, there are organizations like The Able Gamers Charity that will help make a concept controller for those with similar or more special conditions like mine. There's always people out there who will help and always more than one way to do something.

---​

To keep up with ToeZ and his impressive adventures in gaming, be sure to follow him on Twitter @ProToez and check out his stream on Twitch. Want to see ToeZ at more events? Excited to see his success despite a disability? Sound off in the comments below and be sure to stay on those toes if ToeZ is coming to town!

Comments

This guy is a legend. I wondered what it would be like to play Smash with one hand. This guy should be an inspiration for many people like the blind guy who beat Ocarina of Time.

It's ****ing awesome to see a post about Toez on the front page of Smashboards, I met him at my first tournament and he's a really cool dude, I also love the memes he posts on Facebook

Hell yeah, Toez! One of the most supportive and ambitious Smashers in our community that I'm super glad to have met back in the fall. He's always organizing and planning things to expand the scene, and is definitely an important pillar of our region. Good interview, dude! :D

The kind of dedication and determination it takes to overcome such a challenge is truly that of a real smash warrior. It is an honor to share a common interest and be allies and a competitor with the Toe master.

So much respect. Very proud of your dedication and achievements. Keep having fun everyone, however you happen to play.

I've had the pleasure of teaming with Toez and being housed by him for a tournament genuine nice caring guy, and his tech skill in melee, no idea how he does it. Great inspiration for many players

people like Toez should really inspire a lot from people... it really does go to show that if you're very passionate about something, you will do whatever you have to to make it happen.

My hat's off to you, man!

It's great to hear stories about people like this, especially so close to home. Hope I can play him some day.

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know I go by sadfaps now and stream on twitch and have a twitter, but still play with my toe!

Top Bottom