• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toasted Ravs Melee Tournament - Fall 2013 - November 9th, 2013 - Saint Louis, MO

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Address:
5017 Northrup Ave
St. Louis, MO 63110

Schedule:
Saturday, November 9, 2013

Doors and registration at 11:00AM
Doubles at 12:00PM
Singles registration continues until 1:30.
Singles Pools at 2:00PM
Bracket announcements followed by dinner break by 5:00PM
(Maybe an amateur bracket @ 6 for those who don't get out of pools... tbd)
Singles Bracket at 6:00PM
(A P:M Tourney may also run alongside if someone volunteers to TO it)
Finished approx 9:00-10:00PM.

Prices and Payouts:

Venue fee = $5.
**$5 discount for volunteering for clean up/set up crew (See list of duties on our FB page)
Singles Entry Fee = $10
Doubles Entry Fee = $10/team

Payout for doubles and singles
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%

Ruleset
*Double Elimination Style​
*All sets are best of 3 matches except Winner's/Loser's Finals, and Grand Final sets which are best of 5.​
* 4 stock, 8:00-minute timer​
* Items OFF​
* Friendly Fire ON for doubles​
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.​
* Master Hand is banned.​
* Wobbling is NOT banned. #FreeIC's​
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's infinite sleep or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.​
* Stupid glitches are banned. I shouldn't have to tell you to avoid making a black hole.​
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. If you're being a poor sport and doing this intentionally, I'll probably DQ you. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.​
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick a stage you already won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.​
* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.​
Choosing a character:​
*In the event neither contestant wants to pick their character first, RPS, winner chooses second.​
Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:​
1. RPS for first stage ban.​
2. First player strikes one stage.​
3. Second player strikes the next two stages.​
4. First player strikes one stage/picks remaining stage.​
Stagelist:
Singles
Neutrals:​
Final Destination​
Yoshi's Story​
Dream Land​
Battlefield​
Fountain of Dreams​
Counterpicks:​
Pokemon Stadium​
Doubles:​
Final Destination​
Yoshi's Story​
Dream Land​
Battlefield​
Pokemon Stadium​
After each match:​
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)​
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage​
3. Winner chooses their character​
4. Loser chooses their character​
General Rules
-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.​
-Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks. *Non-imperative pause clause: If the pause has absolutely no obvious bearing on the match you may legitimately overlook the pause. If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, leave it paused and seek the TO's counsel.​
-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.​
-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.​
-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.​
-Absolutely no game hacks that affect the actual gameplay. You may use them for friendly setups, but PLEASE mark the set up in an obvious way.​
General Info

Thanks to my mother in law, Barbara Braden, for allowing me to host a tourney in her office space. She is a sort of Executive Director for Tupperware and holds her team meetings/rallies there.This place is ballin. It has 2 bathrooms, a microwave/sink/fridge, wifi for streaming, a large flat screen on the front wall for viewing matches, a PA system for announcements, plenty of electric outlets, and tables and chairs are already there. The parking lot is spacious... it should hold at least 30 cars, but you should carpool anyway.

Please respect this space and the commercial lot that it is on. None of the other businesses that work within the lot come in regularly on weekends, but I don't want to see illegal activities happening in plain view or in closets, bathrooms, etc... The place is owned by a landlord who frequents the location, so let's avoid trouble so we can use this space again in the future.

We won't be streaming this time, but I will be recording on my set up. Hopefully commentator mics will be available too. Feel free to bring your recording setup if you have one as well.

Concerning a possible Amateur Bracket: to qualify as an amateur, I'll be the judge. If you won a previous amateur bracket (that I've hosted), you do not qualify. If you're Atma playing as Pichu, you do not qualify as an amateur. If I haven't met you and this is your first tournament, you will likely qualify as an amateur.

Since there's a fridge and microwave, feel free to bring your own food. Label it. But we're also On The Hill, which, if you don't know, is the Italian heritage part of town. All of the best Italian food in Murica is in this neighborhood. If you finish your pools early you could find a nice sit down restaurant. There are faster Italian places too, like sandwich and coffee shops. Maybe I'll bring a stack of brochures for reference. There are also plenty other restaurants nearby, like Wendy's on Hampton and 44. But this is 2013, google your own restaurant. I'm just recommending The Hill as a cultural experience if you're visiting from OOT.
Shard will probably make and sell cookies. Bring change/$1's. She will probably also sell various nerd gear like stickers. They are actually very awesome and very well made. I have a Smash logo on my scooter now!

Please RSVP!! And we also need your help and support to bring full set ups, including CRT TV's. Your venue fee will not be waived for bringing a set up. But if you would like the opportunity to have your VF waived, check back soon for a list of helper duties that I will post to make sure the tourney runs smooth.

Find us on facebook, if you haven't already. St. Louis Melee

Shard

Smash Cadet
HOUSING
Out of town guests can crash at my place. Friday and/or Saturday night.

PM/Facebook message me: facebook.com/kendallpark

Also, Smashfest Friday night. There will be cookies!

FOOD
I highly recommend you check out this place for lunch: http://www.bluescitydeli.com/

It will change your life.

I'll be making a BCD run during the tourney.

AWESOME STICKERS OF AWESOMENESS

I'll have my vinyl decals at the tourney for sale and I will be doing custom commissions (such as controller decals with your smashtag etc).

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if pm is here and can end by like 4 pm somehow i'll go

Roux

Smash Journeyman
$5 discount applies to PM set ups too.

^^No longer true because venue fee has been reduced to $5.

Warpo

Smash Rookie
Totally excited for this. I'm still debating whether or not I'll be in the amateur bracket, but I'll still be training for it!

Warpo

Smash Rookie
I might be able to bring you and extra controller (black), cookie. The x and y buttons are a little worn but the control stick is phenomenal!

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
If you guys volunteer to run it/bring setups you can run whatever side tourney you want; long as it ends on time. Most of us will most likely opt for a PM side tourney if at all though.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I could probably get Cook, Teh Future, Nicole, FAE, etc...to come to it and I bet Iowa brawl would come with us. I've TO'd like 15 tournaments or something and I've always wanted to TO in a different state and I almost set up a tournament last year in North Carolina for when I visited :O

Would be more venue $ and co-habitatable brawl/melee in STL would be very hippie like, almost Nebraskan.

It would increase Nebraska's likelyhood of coming.

But Atma needs to teach me sheik so that's part of why I'd come anyway.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I
I could probably get Cook, Teh Future, Nicole, FAE, etc...to come to it and I bet Iowa brawl would come with us.
I know Cook pretty well. I'd enjoy seeing him there. He is TO'ing a brawl tourney at BarWarz this weekend.

There should be enough space for a small brawl tourney with the PM and amateur tourneys.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
FOOD
I highly recommend you check out this place for lunch: http://www.bluescitydeli.com/

It will change your life.

I'll be making a BCD run during the tourney.

AWESOME STICKERS OF AWESOMENESS

I'll have my vinyl decals at the tourney for sale and I will be doing custom commissions (such as controller decals with your smashtag etc).
I have 4 stickers on my scooter. 1 is your melee logo vinyl, and another is Blues City Deli. Great minds...

Roux

Smash Journeyman
It looks like some Indiana folks may be coming too. Brace yourselves.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Yay!! I got my new recording/streaming equipment today, and it looks like it will turn out good. Not quite pro, but good. Take a look here for a sample of what the quality will be like for livestreaming: http://www.twitch.tv/smashalaroux/b/435519356

I'm double posting this as it was already in the St. Louis Melee FB page...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Whats the attendance looking like for this for melee?

I talked to Cook/Nicole/MO brawl, they would probably be down, might have me host it if you are still fine with it.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
It's looking good. Estimating 30ish right now. Not many ppl are RSVP'ing, so I can't exactly tell offhand.

Dopey

Smash Lord
Ill do it all...why not? ^^ melee pm brawl...hit buttons!!

Nicole

Smash Champion
yeah, if brawl happens at this, i'll house some people from OOS if they need it. i might even enter melee and throw yall some free money haha.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Just a reminder: please bring every setup you have for convenience. It looks like all three GAMES are gonna happen now.

Edit: This won't compromise Melee doubles will it Devin? Seems like a lot to squeeze in with the amount of time we have.

Edit: Don't forget powerstrips.

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder: please bring every setup you have for convenience. It looks like all three GAMES are gonna happen now.

Edit: This won't compromise Melee doubles will it Devin? Seems like a lot to squeeze in with the amount of time we have.

Edit: Don't forget powerstrips.

Yes, PLEASE, bring some power strips. I have, like, 4, but that's not 20. And bring all your set ups.

It is a small concern that the tourney time could lag with the other games going on. Especially if there are a handful of people in EVERY bracket. If we're lagging behind, then I'll probably shorten the tourney to a 16-entrant bracket instead of 32. I may do that anyway, it's something I'll have to play by ear.

Top Bottom