• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TKBreezy Releases New Project M Stagelist And Ruleset

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Update: The stagelist video by TKBreezy and SOJ has been re-released! Watch it here.
Project M Dev Team
member and "Voice of Project M" VGBC|TKBreezy recently uploaded a video to Youtube, revealing his own brand new official stage list for tournament play that he created with SOJ, downsizing the typical list from around twelve to fifteen to exactly ten stages that have an excellent balance of size, platform variation, and blastzones.

So compact, so portable, it could fit in your pocket!

The new proposed stagelist is:

Neutrals

Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

Counterpicks

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Warioware Inc.
Final Destination
Norfair (New and Improved!)
Yoshi's Story

omg final destination is a counterpick?! but but wat about FOR GLORY?! sakurai is gonna be so confused :[ i can't even omg #dead

Some of you guys are probably thinking something along those lines. However, the stagelist has been designed so that there's a perfect balance of size and platforms so that no character has an inherent advantage before stage banning has even begun. The stagelist has also been trimmed so that there are no redundant stages in terms of platform placement or size. Because the new stagelist is significantly smaller than the usual Project M stagelists, players also only get two bans during counterpicks. TKBreezy explains;

For stage balancing, it made sense for the last two neutrals to be paired, either Final Destination and Yoshi's Story or Green Hill Zone and Dreamland, so that the natural stage size skew wasn't messed up. Originally, I was okay with Final Destination, but it seems like a bit of the community doesn't feel Final Destination is a neutral. I was going by history, as FD has always been a neutral, but since I'm trying to make a stagelist that's pleasing to the community and not to just me, I went with the change.

The reason why some feel that Final Destination isn't a neutral stage is because characters with a propensity for chaingrabbing or characters with a good projectile like Falco can dictate the pace of a game pretty handily. However, whether or not Final Destination is a neutral or not is still very much up for debate.

I know that there's people who probably liked Fountain of Dreams, or loved playing on Distant Planet. TKBreezy considered this, and created a new ruleset called the "Dual Stagelist Ruleset" for anyone who prefers other stages.

Neutrals - Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Fountain of Dreams, Skyworld, Distant Planet, Counterpick - Dracula's Castle
This new ruleset is a creative new way of picking stages. Essentially, if your TO allows it, two players can agree to switch to either stagelist during any point of a set. However, you can only ban and pick from one stage list at a time. Included in this list is a new modified Pokémon Stadium 1, which had its Rock and Fire transformations modified into a new Rock and Lightning transformations! These were changed in order to change the tendency of a game to completely halt whenever an unfavorable transformation occurred during a tourney match. This will hopefully no longer happen. Lylat Cruise's edges were also slightly modified so that players no longer hit their heads on the edge as they're trying to recover, leading to unfortunate self-destructs. To clarify, this ruleset is optional, and simply an idea that could be interesting.

UPDATE - Due to community feedback, this ruleset has been taken away from the video, and the stages are now banned in the tourney pack.

TKBreezy will be debuting the ten stage list at S@X, which is streamed every Tuesday. TKBreezy added that this stagelist is targeted towards competitive players, and for casuals, every stage is still available to you and he encourages you to try out every stage in your free time. What do you think of the changes to the stagelist? Follow the #YungGawd himself on Twitter @TKBreezy to ask any questions!

NOTE - This pack is not officially endorsed by the PM Dev Team, as they do not get involved with rulesets or anything related.

The whole left side of KhanYe's face is numb. KhanYe hates the dentist. KhanYe can't eat but he's starving. Come be sad with me on Twitter @ayyou9.

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
FD is certainly a neutral stage by definition, but it does not favor characters evenly. Have a chain grab or projectile? Excellent. Few approach options? gg.

I can get behind the stage list, though. RIP Lylat :(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
east coast has interesting rules to say the least

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
FD a counterpick? Is that what I'm seeing here? I mean sure, Falco can begin there but, couldn't he do the same on smashville? Why is FD a counterpick?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Neutrals - Green Hill Zone, Pokémon Stadium 2, Smashville, Battlefield, Dreamland 64

*head explodes*

"For optimal balance purposes, we've put three medium stages, one small, and one large stage. You almost certainly won't have to start on a medium stage against characters that prefer them!"

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
FoD not being counterpick, but Yoshi's Island (Brawl) being legal is total BS, I'm sorry. That stage is utter garbage in every single way.

Kaysick

Smash Journeyman
FD a counterpick? Is that what I'm seeing here? I mean sure, Falco can begin there but, couldn't he do the same on smashville? Why is FD a counterpick?
No, he can't do the same on Smashville because there's a moving platform on the stage so it allows characters to at least get away from the lasers. A character like Samus can't utilize missile cancels when there's no platform so its an easy way to get away from missile spam.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Yeah, technically Smashville is THE most balanced stage in the game just because it's both a platformless stage and one with a platform. All characters can do everything they normally do on FD/PS2/Battlefield on it, and at times they can't. It's a stage that almost no characters do badly on by default.

Last edited:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
Make final destination a neutral and get rid of yoshi's story all together and replace it with fod and I'm game

Last edited:

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
I actually like this list a lot, the only change I would want to see if FoD instead of YI, but the compact list overall is really good.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
I have to say, I disagree with this. I'm not sure why every TO in existance is trying to compartmentalize the PM stagelist. Here we have a game where about half of the stages can viably be used for tournaments; why would you want to limit the stage selection to Melee/Brawl size? Are we going to reach a point where 64 will be emulated and we'll only have a handful of tourney stages? Or maybe we'll adopt a pseudo-Japanese stagelist, and Smashville will be the only legal stage?

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
OTL...TKBreezy, where is my FoD...why is Yoshi's (Brawl) there instead...waaaaaiiii

Last edited:

Napkin

Smash Cadet
Really flat and small stagelist overall, and removes a lot of character's abilities to counterpick

Zhea

Smash Ace
Is there something about PM FoD that's different from melee that makes it cancerous? Cause if not, calling TK Breezy out as a scrub.

Skides

Smash Rookie
NNID
Skides
3DS FC
1289-8354-1948
I guess its cool I mean a lot of stages barely get used.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I like it! Will download shortly, I'll be very happy if this becomes the new ruleset.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
SOJ and TKBreezy are probably working on adjusting and finalizing pg.2 and that's the reason they took down the current links and video.

Based on what I read on the short lived reddit page, pg.2 might also include PS2, SV, and BF as starters in the next version. This would hopefully make the second page not as off-putting to some players.

FoD wasn't removed for being a bad stage. According to TKBreezy, he thought it just a bit redundant and was unfortunately the stage that had to go to reduce the list down to 10.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
SOJ and TKBreezy are probably working on adjusting and finalizing pg.2 and that's the reason they took down the current links and video.

Based on what I read on the short lived reddit page, pg.2 might also include PS2, SV, and BF as starters in the next version. This would hopefully make the second page not as off-putting to some players.

FoD wasn't removed for being a bad stage. According to TKBreezy, he thought it just a bit redundant and was unfortunately the stage that had to go to reduce the list down to 10.
Will the links be re-added anytime soon?

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

And yet including Yoshi's Story, Battlefield, and Dreamland 64 isn't redundant? Hmmm...

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I don't see the second list being used in my area, if only because it overcomplicates things for new players.

Still though, no Fountain of Dreams on the first list at all? Never thought I'd see the day where Roy gets nerfed in PM.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I have to say, I disagree with this. I'm not sure why every TO in existance is trying to compartmentalize the PM stagelist. Here we have a game where about half of the stages can viably be used for tournaments; why would you want to limit the stage selection to Melee/Brawl size? Are we going to reach a point where 64 will be emulated and we'll only have a handful of tourney stages? Or maybe we'll adopt a pseudo-Japanese stagelist, and Smashville will be the only legal stage?
I for one would be delighted to adopt the Japanese stagelist.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I think some people don't like the fact that Fountain of Dreams isn't a starter or counter pick.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
But it is if the players opt for page 2. It looks like a lot of you aren't even considering that the second page could be polished to work in competitive play...

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Why are people so concerned with making the stage list as small as possible?

Top Bottom