• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Nah

Smash Champion
I almost forgot Hongori was a thing :084:
and searching that on google images now gives some results from the robin social, awesome
[collapse= this one stood out]

[/collapse]
I keep looking at this and wondering why someone drew those teeth

and in what context this was even posted in in here

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Robin is Robin. No matter what gender. Anyone who would choose one over the other out of an opinion that one is better than the other is sexist. 'Tis the definition of sexism.
This how I think of the situation

Untitled.png

Matsushi

True Blood
This is it.

I found my OTP.

*initiate fangirl mode*

m!Kamui x m!Robin sounds nice too~

Folt

Smash Ace
Robin is Robin. No matter what gender. Anyone who would choose one over the other out of an opinion that one is better than the other is sexist. 'Tis the definition of sexism.
It probably is, but no one can deny that the game favours certain characters, genders, and outfits above others: Like how the male Villager with the red 1 shirt as well as the female Wii Fit Trainer are the face of the fighters associated with him and her (and subsequently become the iconic representative of the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer respectively). Or how Wario appears in his WarioWare outfit instead of his usual overalls (used in the Wario Land series and all other appearances) despite WarioWare being a spin-off of Wario Land. Or how Bowser Jr. and Olimar have different characters as alts, yet they become the iconic representatives of the fighters associated with their moveset just like the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer. From his reveal to the present, Robin is no different from these characters.

Robin was taken from the Avatar of Awakening and was subsequently given a canon personality, abilities, and appearance for Smash Bros. He is no longer the self-insert Avatar of Awakening, but his own character now, and it is this Robin that influences future games where he might appear.

Like in Codename S.T.E.A.M. where only Male Robin appears when you scan his amiibo.

Or in Super Mario Maker where the Mystery Mushroom appears to only give M!Robin, again.

Or like in Fates, where Robin is implied to be the same Robin that partook in Smash Bros. and, again, only appears as a male. Also, in a purchaseable DLC scenario, you are able to get a Fellblood/Grima Emblem that lets other characters get access to his Grandmaster class... but unlike in Awakening, only males get to class change to Grandmaster.
This is almost certainly a result of Super Smash Bros.'s influence on Robin, as the reason for this is either because Smash!Robin is considered male or that the game favours M!Robin over his female counterpart in some way.

As for why F!Robin is an alternate costume, I believe it's to satsify the people who want to play as F!Robin in Smash, and that is okay. After all, that's probably the chief reason that alternate costumes exist, and wanting to play as F!Robin is a good reason to have her playable in some form. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that F!Robin will be treated as an equal to her male counterpart, however contradictory and paradoxical that might sound.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
This is it.

I found my OTP.

*initiate fangirl mode*

m!Kamui x m!Robin sounds nice too~
D'aww they look so adorable together!

I think you just converted me to this OTP

And now for a daily dose of awesome Smash Emblem fanart!

:112:

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I heard that there is a boss who makes your life a living hell for two chapters because reasons and when you do get to recruit him, he isn't worth using because Ced is a thing.
Yeah, Saias turns up for a chapter or two halfway through the game with ten leadership stars (which add 30% to most enemies' hit and avoid), most of which he loses when he joins, of course. Ced appears in the same chapter in which you recruit Saias - recruiting him makes Saias leave the party, so you don't even get to use him much, for all the misery he causes you. You can choose to ignore Ced and keep Saias, but Ced is an entirely superior unit (Forseti automatically makes him godlike), so you'd be a fool not to recruit him.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
It probably is, but no one can deny that the game favours certain characters, genders, and outfits above others: Like how the male Villager with the red 1 shirt as well as the female Wii Fit Trainer are the face of the fighters associated with him and her (and subsequently become the iconic representative of the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer respectively). Or how Wario appears in his WarioWare outfit instead of his usual overalls (used in the Wario Land series and all other appearances) despite WarioWare being a spin-off of Wario Land. Or how Bowser Jr. and Olimar have different characters as alts, yet they become the iconic representatives of the fighters associated with their moveset just like the Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer. From his reveal to the present, Robin is no different from these characters.

Robin was taken from the Avatar of Awakening and was subsequently given a canon personality, abilities, and appearance for Smash Bros. He is no longer the self-insert Avatar of Awakening, but his own character now, and it is this Robin that influences future games where he might appear.

Like in Codename S.T.E.A.M. where only Male Robin appears when you scan his amiibo.

Or in Super Mario Maker where the Mystery Mushroom appears to only give M!Robin, again.

This is almost certainly a result of Super Smash Bros.'s influence on Robin, as the reason for this is either because Smash!Robin is considered male or that the game favours M!Robin over his female counterpart in some way.

As for why F!Robin is an alternate costume, I believe it's to satsify the people who want to play as F!Robin in Smash, and that is okay. After all, that's probably the chief reason that alternate costumes exist, and wanting to play as F!Robin is a good reason to have her playable in some form. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that F!Robin will be treated as an equal to her male counterpart, however contradictory and paradoxical that might sound.
I agree with this, for the most part. I suppose what I was trying to say is that heRobin and sheRobin are the same character, just different genders. So in the end, it really doesn't matter. I for one look at heRobin wherever he appears and see this.

Both genders, the same character. It doesn't matter to me. When I say genders don't matter, I don't mean gender equality doesn't matter. In fact, I mean just the opposite. I mean people shouldn't be restrained or discriminated against because of their gender. And you're mad about Robin appearing only as a male in media. That means it matters to you. Would it if he only appeared as a she? No. Nobody had that complaint about Wii Fit Trainer. Let me repeat that. You're mad because Robin is being represented as a male. That's sexism. If you weren't sexist, it wouldn't matter to you. One could say that you believe that both he and she-Robins should be available; a just cause, but highly impractical. They could only go with one, so they chose the male. That's not sexism. If everyone could just see the same character, we wouldn't have this problem.

Robin is a blank slate for the most part, but he does have a personality which Smash has had virtually no influence on, thank you very much.

Have you considered using the avatar I suggested, by the by? :awesome:

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Have you guys seen this

50+ characters to use and people seem to only choose the same 15 or so, it's a shame
*still waiting for Young Link*

Though on a serious note, I think I am one of those people who is using characters that aren't found commonly in competitive smash
:4robinm::4pit:

:135:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Have you guys seen this

*still waiting for Young Link*

Though on a serious note, I think I am one of those people who is using characters that aren't found commonly in competitive smash
:4robinm::4pit:

That leak is a little thing we all oft' encounter. 'Tis bull****, my friend.

LANGUAGE WARNING

On the note of Pitty-pat and Rabinz, I hardly ever encounter Robin on FG, but I see plenty of Pit. Maybe I'm just really lucky? Who knows. I think he's a great character for the competitive scene.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Have you guys seen this
Kameo? Who?
I initially thought someone was going to make a cameo. :laugh:
Microsoft making a deal is impossible enough, and the deal not being Banjo Kazooie is impossible still.

Moving on...
@ Moydow Moydow
Good Luck. :p

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
VINNIE CAME CLOSE TO ENDING ZERO'S WIN STREAK AT PAX PRIME!

He at least reset the bracket. This was the best Grand Finals in Sm4sh so far!

Also, that Microsoft-Nintendo post lost its cred the moment Kameo popped up.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
That leak is a little thing we all oft' encounter. 'Tis bull****, my friend.

LANGUAGE WARNING

On the note of Pitty-pat and Rabinz, I hardly ever encounter Robin on FG, but I see plenty of Pit. Maybe I'm just really lucky? Who knows. I think he's a great character for the competitive scene.
Kameo? Who?
I initially thought someone was going to make a cameo. :laugh:
Microsoft making a deal is impossible enough, and the deal not being Banjo Kazooie is impossible still.

Moving on...
@ Moydow Moydow
Good Luck. :p
Oh, I know that it's Bull****. Particularly since it says Wii U only. I mean seriously? Why would this character be console exclusive and not the Ice Climbers?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
wat

Alternate accounts? :eek:
Well, it's a long story.
@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and @Hong know about it.

I had headmen account original by the same name Unknown Hero. Except I spelt the name wrong and it was Unkown Hero instead. NSG was the one who pointed this out. So I had to options. 1) Wait until I can get Premium and change the name or make a new account. Now, seeing as I wasn't going to be able to do option one any time soon I went with two. I tried to have my old account banned for life, but I don;t think things worked out. Anyway, this is my account now and the only one I will ever be using.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Testing new avis, woo.
I recently noticed I had no problems remaining games I was excited for unspoiled in the past such as MGS Peace Walker, FE Awakening and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, yet I pretty much spoiled asap Fire Emblem Fates and MGS the Phantom Pain. I don't really get how I work sometimes.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Testing new avis, woo.
I recently noticed I had no problems remaining games I was excited for unspoiled in the past such as MGS Peace Walker, FE Awakening and Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney, yet I pretty much spoiled asap Fire Emblem Fates and MGS the Phantom Pain. I don't really get how I work sometimes.
Yeah! Dragon's Crown! I still have yet to finish that...

Folt

Smash Ace
I agree with this, for the most part. I suppose what I was trying to say is that heRobin and sheRobin are the same character, just different genders. So in the end, it really doesn't matter. I for one look at heRobin wherever he appears and see this.

Both genders, the same character. It doesn't matter to me. When I say genders don't matter, I don't mean gender equality doesn't matter. In fact, I mean just the opposite. I mean people shouldn't be restrained or discriminated against because of their gender. And you're mad about Robin appearing as only as a male in media. That means it matters to you. Would it if he only appeared as a she? No. Nobody had that complaint about Wii Fit Trainer. Let me repeat that. You're mad because Robin is being represented as a male. That's sexism. If you weren't sexist, it wouldn't matter to you. One could say that you believe that both he and she-Robins should be available; a just cause, but highly impractical. They could only go with one, so they chose the male. That's not sexism. If everyone could just see the same character, we wouldn't have this problem.

Robin is a blank slate for the most part, but he does have a personality which Smash has had virtually no influence on, thank you very much.

Have you considered using the avatar I suggested, by the by? :awesome:
No, no, no! I'm not mad. You've totally misunderstood me. I vastly prefer male Robin by a long shot. M!Robin is a JRPG spellcaster (or something around that point) who's not female or a child, accompanying a JRPG swordswoman who does not use magic in any way. It's like taking the JRPG cliché of the male swordfighter and female spellcaster and turning it upside on it's head and that is awesome! And while he can swing a sword, he specifically prefers slinging spells since his sword skills are... kinda sucky without the thunder magic-infused Levin Sword which again hints that his skills lie in magic (and, well, tactics) (also, this is something that was added to his Smash Bros. incarnation by the way). And honestly, the fact that only M!Robin appears in games after Smash amuses me in part because some of the F!Robin fans rub me the wrong way.

How the Super Smash Bros. favoured M!Robin over his female counterpart was not lost to me, as I picked up hints in regards to that, but most people disagreed with me over this or just didn't want to hear it because they preferred the Female Robin; again, understandable given that people tend to prefer different things, and how little info we had at the time. However, my hunch that M!Robin was ultimately favoured by the game was confirmed for me when I got the games and noticed the little things. I got further evidence to back up my claim when the Robin amiibo came out and how this affected Robin's future appearances.

Unfortunately, people can be stubborn when it comes to holding on to their beliefs (something I know all too well, and am probably guilty of for some arguments). Either they just say it "doesn't matter" or argue ad hominem or with subjective arguments that clearly don't hold up to evidence. Sometimes, the arguments reach a point where I am honestly unsure whether they're deluded or not, and whether I should just end the argument and let them live in their own little world; sometimes I wonder if mayb I could have worded things differently so that people get what I'm talking about. I am well aware that my claim that "M!Robin is the main Robin" has countless people who simply don't agree with me, and I'm also aware that such a claim may ultimately not hold up, but given all the evidence I've found on how the game favours M!Robin over his female counterpart I am less inclined to believe otherwise.

Due to a desire to prove my point using objective facts, not simple arguments made on bias, I have scoured the game and the Internet for the facts and the evidence that I need. And I have uncovered much. Reflecting on the me back then, and the me right now, looking up the information I've gathered and separating the facts from the bias (including my own, though there might still be some left) have led me to what I sought, which I now seek to share with others. Like how M!Robin majorly features in the trailer for Robin and Lucina while F!Robin gets a small part dedicated to her. Or how the promotional artwork by Awakening's artist only featured M!Robin. Or how M!Robin's is the only one who gets a mugshot (so you either have to go to his page to see both Robins or pick F!Robin as an alternate costume to see her). Or how the main trophy (and the Final Smash one) only features M!Robin. Or how default M!Robin is typically used as the default unless you're actually playing as default M!Robin. Or how the only trophies that feature F!Robin are the alt trophies. Or how F!Robin's trophy doesn't appear on either the Fire Emblem Heroes trophy collection or the Female Fighters trophy collection (and how this is true for Villager as well... whereas Wii Fit Trainer gets to have one of the trophies featuring her [which is neither a main, alt, or a final smash trophy] on the Female Fighter trophy collection). I actually have more facts and evidence, but I think you get what I'm saying.

As for the conclusion, as I've said above, I believe that male Robin is the main Robin of the two because the game heavily favours him over the female Robin, even discounting evidence gathered from future game appearances after Smash. That said, even if female Robin is shafted by this, the fact that she's an alternate costume; a position that, in my opinion, means that the character or appearance is of lower importance and maybe even non-canon; means that she's still important enough to be in the game in playable form. She's not in any way equal to her male counterpart, but the fact that she is an alternate costume means it was important for the developers of Smash to have her playable in some form. It doesn't matter if her Smash appearance isn't canon or that she's less important than male Robin, by virtue of being just an alt: The fact that she has a playable appearance in Smash means that she is important enough to be put in the game in playable form, no matter if it's canon or not.

To give my opinion on F!Robin, I think she is non-canon to Smash in part because she's supposed to be the same character as her male counterpart. But that doesn't mean that she isn't an important character to have in Smash, as contradictory as it sounds, as even a non-canon playable appearance (and it's a playable appearance as an alt of the male counterpart) means that the developers wanted you to be able to fight as her. And in terms of including both genders of a character whose gender is an important part of how the game plays for them, while still ending up with having to make one of them less important than the other by virtue of how the game is designed, it's probably the best way that they could have done it.

Ultimately, I want people to recognize this, and if they disagree with it then I want them to at least provide good points as to why, and not just dismiss it as if it was a rant from some raving lunatic just because it directly attacks their precious viewpoint that F!Robin is equal to M!Robin when the evidence I've gathered and the objective facts I've found points to this not being the case.

Also:

You're probably the first random forum guy in a while that I've enjoyed arguing with for a change.

As for avatars, I'd be so down with something that has Green!Robin and Default!Luigi since Robin and Luigi are my mains and green is my favorite color (and, well, Green!Robin reminds me of my first RP character on a Fire Emblem forum who was named the same as my current username).

Also, there's probably going to be a lot of people who disagree with what I've been saying, so... *puts up flame resistant barrier*

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, it's a long story.
@ NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy and @Hong know about it.

I had headmen account original by the same name Unknown Hero. Except I spelt the name wrong and it was Unkown Hero instead. NSG was the one who pointed this out. So I had to options. 1) Wait until I can get Premium and change the name or make a new account. Now, seeing as I wasn't going to be able to do option one any time soon I went with two. I tried to have my old account banned for life, but I don;t think things worked out. Anyway, this is my account now and the only one I will ever be using.

Rest in Peace in Pieces my dear sweet @Unkown Hero. :104:

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
No, no, no! I'm not mad. You've totally misunderstood me. I vastly prefer male Robin by a long shot. M!Robin is a JRPG spellcaster (or something around that point) who's not female or a child, accompanying a JRPG swordswoman who does not use magic in any way. It's like taking the JRPG cliché of the male swordfighter and female spellcaster and turning it upside on it's head and that is awesome! And while he can swing a sword, he specifically prefers slinging spells since his sword skills are... kinda sucky without the thunder magic-infused Levin Sword which again hints that his skills lie in magic (and, well, tactics) (also, this is something that was added to his Smash Bros. incarnation by the way). And honestly, the fact that only M!Robin appears in games after Smash amuses me in part because some of the F!Robin fans rub me the wrong way.

How the Super Smash Bros. favoured M!Robin over his female counterpart was not lost to me, as I picked up hints in regards to that, but most people disagreed with me over this or just didn't want to hear it because they preferred the Female Robin; again, understandable given that people tend to prefer different things, and how little info we had at the time. However, my hunch that M!Robin was ultimately favoured by the game was confirmed for me when I got the games and noticed the little things. I got further evidence to back up my claim when the Robin amiibo came out and how this affected Robin's future appearances.

Unfortunately, people can be stubborn when it comes to holding on to their beliefs (something I know all too well, and am probably guilty of for some arguments). Either they just say it "doesn't matter" or argue ad hominem or with subjective arguments that clearly don't hold up to evidence. Sometimes, the arguments reach a point where I am honestly unsure whether they're deluded or not, and whether I should just end the argument and let them live in their own little world; sometimes I wonder if mayb I could have worded things differently so that people get what I'm talking about. I am well aware that my claim that "M!Robin is the main Robin" has countless people who simply don't agree with me, and I'm also aware that such a claim may ultimately not hold up, but given all the evidence I've found on how the game favours M!Robin over his female counterpart I am less inclined to believe otherwise.

Due to a desire to prove my point using objective facts, not simple arguments made on bias, I have scoured the game and the Internet for the facts and the evidence that I need. And I have uncovered much. Reflecting on the me back then, and the me right now, looking up the information I've gathered and separating the facts from the bias (including my own, though there might still be some left) have led me to what I sought, which I now seek to share with others. Like how M!Robin majorly features in the trailer for Robin and Lucina while F!Robin gets a small part dedicated to her. Or how the promotional artwork by Awakening's artist only featured M!Robin. Or how M!Robin's is the only one who gets a mugshot (so you either have to go to his page to see both Robins or pick F!Robin as an alternate costume to see her). Or how the main trophy (and the Final Smash one) only features M!Robin. Or how default M!Robin is typically used as the default unless you're actually playing as default M!Robin. Or how the only trophies that feature F!Robin are the alt trophies. Or how F!Robin's trophy doesn't appear on either the Fire Emblem Heroes trophy collection or the Female Fighters trophy collection (and how this is true for Villager as well... whereas Wii Fit Trainer gets to have one of the trophies featuring her [which is neither a main, alt, or a final smash trophy] on the Female Fighter trophy collection). I actually have more facts and evidence, but I think you get what I'm saying.

As for the conclusion, as I've said above, I believe that male Robin is the main Robin of the two because the game heavily favours him over the female Robin, even discounting evidence gathered from future game appearances after Smash. That said, even if female Robin is shafted by this, the fact that she's an alternate costume; a position that, in my opinion, means that the character or appearance is of lower importance and maybe even non-canon; means that she's still important enough to be in the game in playable form. She's not in any way equal to her male counterpart, but the fact that she is an alternate costume means it was important for the developers of Smash to have her playable in some form. It doesn't matter if her Smash appearance isn't canon or that she's less important than male Robin, by virtue of being just an alt: The fact that she has a playable appearance in Smash means that she is important enough to be put in the game in playable form, no matter if it's canon or not.

To give my opinion on F!Robin, I think she is non-canon to Smash in part because she's supposed to be the same character as her male counterpart. But that doesn't mean that she isn't an important character to have in Smash, as contradictory as it sounds, as even a non-canon playable appearance (and it's a playable appearance as an alt of the male counterpart) means that the developers wanted you to be able to fight as her. And in terms of including both genders of a character whose gender is an important part of how the game plays for them, while still ending up with having to make one of them less important than the other by virtue of how the game is designed, it's probably the best way that they could have done it.

Ultimately, I want people to recognize this, and if they disagree with it then I want them to at least provide good points as to why, and not just dismiss it as if it was a rant from some raving lunatic just because it directly attacks their precious viewpoint that F!Robin is equal to M!Robin when the evidence I've gathered and the objective facts I've found points to this not being the case.

Also:

You're probably the first random forum guy in a while that I've enjoyed arguing with for a change.

As for avatars, I'd be so down with something that has Green!Robin and Default!Luigi since Robin and Luigi are my mains and green is my favorite color (and, well, Green!Robin reminds me of my first RP character on a Fire Emblem forum who was named the same as my current username).

Also, there's probably going to be a lot of people who disagree with what I've been saying, so... *puts up flame resistant barrier*
It's not that I disagree with you, it's just that I think it's stupid to make a big deal out of it for the aforementioned reasons.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165
Y'know what an amazing alt for Robin would be? Something like the kooplings where the alts are Morgan(M), (F), and then the most popular children units with Robin's white hair as if they were Robin's child. I'd kinda prefer that to Grandmaster, and I really wanted that to be their appearence before they were announced!

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Y'know what an amazing alt for Robin would be? Something like the kooplings where the alts are Morgan(M), (F), and then the most popular children units with Robin's white hair as if they were Robin's child. I'd kinda prefer that to Grandmaster, and I really wanted that to be their appearence before they were announced!
Or they could just add Morgan as a faster, smaller, lighter Robin clone. If Lucina can get away with it, then so can Morgan.

And while they're at it, they can add all the other FE characters as well.

I can dream...

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
Or they could just add Morgan as a faster, smaller, lighter Robin clone. If Lucina can get away with it, then so can Morgan.

All I'm going to say about that last part is cue the butthurt. "OMG FIRE EMBULL GITS 2 MUCH REP! WAERS RIDLEY? I NEDZ MOAR METROIDZ! GIMME LLOYD!"

Folt

Smash Ace
It's not that I disagree with you, it's just that I think it's stupid to make a big deal out of it for the aforementioned reasons.
Mmhm. I probably wouldn't have been as obsessed with making this point if people were more like you.

That said, gathering this information and all the facts to make my point have given me lots of knowledge in how alts are used in Smash Bros., so I don't regret it.

I can dream...
Lucina is mostly just Marth without the tipper.

Granted, that means she got away with less than what the hypothetical Morgan in Smash would have gotten away with. Hahah.

Top Bottom