• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Robin: Did my daughter really grow up to be this cute!?
....awkward.....
I wish Robin had more support around here, though I can't blame the community. Initially I also didn't see any potential in the character until I spent more time analyzing what kind of potential play styles are lacking.
Yeah, it's sad. Honestly s/he is the most overlooked of the potential FE13 representatives.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I've thought this over and I think if you go by uniqueness quote of Sakurai, the Awakening character that best fits this standard is Robin. I would love to play as Robin even with just her sword and magic. Especially if you just consider the ways that her sword can incorporate magic into the attacks (with either a combo or a magic enhanced strike). That being said, it would be pretty ridiculous for Robin to not be a the female version or have a female costume.

Here is a Sword and Magic based moveset:
Specials:
Neutral: Rally Spectrum
Robin will raise up left hand and will start to glow. Robin will achieve a power up out of the following: Strength, Defense, Skill, Speed, Luck. This power up will occur in that order. After about 5 seconds, the power will dissipate. With each power Robin will glow a different color. You can continually summona new rally after it's been activated prior to the five seconds being up.
Strength: Robin will glow red and her knock out power for all her moves will be increased slightly.
Defense: Robin will glow blue and her defense power will be increased slightly.
Skill: Robin will glow orange and will be able to do slightly more damage. Her attack speed will be slightly increased and so she will have the ability to do one stronger combo.
Speed: Robin will glow green and will be able to move slightly faster and jump slightly higher.
Luck: Robin will glow yellow and will be able to dodge faster and counter faster.

Forward: Tome Strike: Robin will dash forward (even in the air) and at the end of the dash, she casts one of three type of magic. Elfire will cast a flame ball in front of her, allowing her to rack up some damage. Elthunder will do a about 13% damage should they receive any part of the attack. Elwind has the most knock out power out of the three moves.

Up: Ignis: Robin will lift up her left hand and then do an upward sword strike in which she strikes at the low and then turns slightly in the air toward the end of her jump (based on her critical hit animation with a sword).

Down: Counter. Like every other fire emblem character. She will guard with her sword and counter with thunder magic.

Smash Attacks: with each smash attack, Robin will have her left hand out while charging, casting magic.
Up: Blade of Light "Hikari no Tsurugi" - Robin will charge her sword at her sid and cast lightning onto her sword. She stabs it upward, damaging foes from above.

Forward: Binding Blade "Fuuin no Tsurugi" - Robin will charge her behind her right shoulder, and once it's in front of her, her sword will be on fire and leave a flame trail as she strikes from her right shoulder to right before her left hip.

Down: Blazing Sword "Rekka no Ken" - Robin will charge her sword at her left hip and cast fire in front of her. She will spread the flames using her sword and spread it on the ground around her.

Final Smash:
High Deliverer:
Robin will say "Time to Tip the Scales" and cast magic through out the stage. Fireballs will rain from the sky, doing about 20% damage and knocking out high damage opponents. Lightning will also strike, doing about 15% damage but without the same knock out power. Robin can move during this move and glows a light green, being imbued with wind magic. She moves faster but can still be damaged by her opponents. However, they will be busy dodging the lightning and fireballs.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Robin never got much attention outside the actual content of the game. The ads, descriptions and pictures promoting Awakening feature Chrom and Lucina way more than Robin. As such, many people only talk about those two characfters. Heck before I got the game I didn't know that your custom unit would be significant to the plot at all. Turns out Robin arguably is the most important part of the story.

IzanamiiRin

Smash Rookie
I'd love this, definitely would... I have a move set in mind but I'd rather type it out on a computer... and yes, I made an account just because of this thread .___.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Robin never got much attention outside the actual content of the game. The ads, descriptions and pictures promoting Awakening feature Chrom and Lucina way more than Robin. As such, many people only talk about those two characfters. Heck before I got the game I didn't know that your custom unit would be significant to the plot at all. Turns out Robin arguably is the most important part of the story.
I think that's because they don't like canonizing an appearance. But the game begins an ends with the same shot (provided you pick a certain ending), and it's more from the Avatar's point of view (literally) than Chrom's. I think without a doubt Robin is the most important part of the story. Like many FE games, the first half is more of a prologue to the real story.

Hong

The Strongest
That's an awesome moveset, Jay. There sure are plenty of totally legitimate ways to go about this character... and every moveset I have seen thus far has been completely different from the other.
I'd love this, definitely would... I have a move set in mind but I'd rather type it out on a computer... and yes, I made an account just because of this thread .___.
Welcome to Smash Boards. ^~^

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wonder....

Is there a chance that Robin the tactician would sort of clash with Isaac from Golden Sun?

Everyone: WTF!!?

Yeah, it so happens that Isaac's name in Golden Sun is ROBIN in Japan.
Now I'm an Isaac supporter... But I'm also a Robin Tactician supporter... So I wonder how they'll handle it.

So ONE of them might get a title in their name... Wonder what works best. Tactician Robin, or Adept Robin.

Which do you think?
Am I thinking this too deeply, or is it a valid observation?

I really am hoping for a Tactician based character... and Robin makes a lot of sense, especially if we get its female counterpart.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Just 'Tactician' makes sense since, for example, they went with 'Pokemon Trainer' rather than 'Red'

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Thanks Lunadis.
I wonder....

Is there a chance that Robin the tactician would sort of clash with Isaac from Golden Sun?

Everyone: WTF!!?

Yeah, it so happens that Isaac's name in Golden Sun is ROBIN in Japan.
Now I'm an Isaac supporter... But I'm also a Robin Tactician supporter... So I wonder how they'll handle it.

So ONE of them might get a title in their name... Wonder what works best. Tactician Robin, or Adept Robin.

Which do you think?
Am I thinking this too deeply, or is it a valid observation?

I really am hoping for a Tactician based character... and Robin makes a lot of sense, especially if we get its female counterpart.
And if it's the case between GS Robin and Robin the Avatar, it should be Tactician like @tomic suggested. If there is no GS Robin, I would prefer her default name in each region, with Robin in the US. I also happen to like the name Robin due to its connection with the superhero sidekick.

Although based on my limited knowledge of Japanese, there shouldn't be a problem. Robin's japanese name is this: ルフレ, which is Rufure in romanji. While Isaac's Japanese name is this: ロビン, which is Robin. This is just based on me looking at their wikis. Anyone who actually understands japanese is free to correct me.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Frankly, and I'll be the downer here, it's extremely unlikely we'll have both Isaac and Robin in the game.

I just really don't think we'll be that lucky.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Thanks Lunadis.

And if it's the case between GS Robin and Robin the Avatar, it should be Tactician like @tomic suggested. If there is no GS Robin, I would prefer her default name in each region, with Robin in the US. I also happen to like the name Robin due to its connection with the superhero sidekick.

Although based on my limited knowledge of Japanese, there shouldn't be a problem. Robin's japanese name is this: ルフレ, which is Rufure in romanji. While Isaac's Japanese name is this: ロビン, which is Robin. This is just based on me looking at their wikis. Anyone who actually understands japanese is free to correct me.

Ah, I did not know Tactician's name was ルフレ which yeah, you got it right. It translates Rufure.... (either R could also be an L) but nice knowing! Now I'm certain there won't be any clash if we're lucky to have both!. :)

Hong

The Strongest
In the odd circumstance, I would agree that Robin would be renamed Tactician, since the character has a more malleable image, if the fact they have different names was not enough.

And yeah, I agree that having both is a bit of a pipedream. :/

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Alright, going for a complete moveset. :3

ROBIN / TACTICIAN
SR = short range
MR = mid range
LR = long range

The idea:
Tactician does NOT attack for himself.
Units that are summoned fight for him. But not in the Pikmin way.
These units appear out of the blue, cast their attack, have a second or two of cooldown time, and then they vanish (like super short Assist Trophies).

A: Assassin Blade (a very quick sword SR strike from an assassin-type unit)
TiltA: Thief Sword (a very swift MR strike (unit advancing))
DownA: Mage Fire (an explosive SR ground attack)
UpA: Mage Thunder (a SR electrical bolt overhead attack)

Fsmash: Swordman strike (a fierce MR leap-strike)
Dsmash: Fighter Axe (a strong downward SR axe strike that hits behind as well)
Usmash: Knight Lance spin (a knight spins lance over his head)

B: Light Mage attack (Casts an aura of pure radial damaging light around self, has cooldown)
Btilt: Arrow attack (a long ranged arrow shot)
Bdown: Wizard Flux (SR if uncharged, MR if charged)
Bup: Pegasus Rescue (A pegasus knight rescues you, and advances in the direction you choose before dropping you off)

Dash Attack: Stops dead, but a Horseman unit with a spear keeps going and jousts through multiple opponents.
Grab: Knight throws chained-axe that wraps opponent and pulls toward him. Then he strikes him with his gauntles, throws to the ground, tosses up in the air, or to the sides.

Nair: Pirate double axe spin.
Fair: Pegasus spear advance
Dair: Pegasus lance dive
Bair: Pegasus backward javelin throw
Uair: Pegasus lance rising

Final Smash: (still working on it)

I know it's kind of generic, but it's the best I can do with only TWO Fire Emblem games under my belt. :p

P.S. I was thinking about a super gimmicky version, where the UNITS can die, kinda like the Pikmin, except if a particular unit "assigned" to a particular button input dies, Tactician is deprived of said Button move.

Example, if his FSMASH misses, and your opponent hits him back with a smash attack (or a strong move), then Swordman dies, and you're left without a Fsmash until you lose the stock.
...but this might be programming hell...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Alright, going for a complete moveset. :3

ROBIN / TACTICIAN
SR = short range
MR = mid range
LR = long range

The idea:
Tactician does NOT attack for himself.
Units that are summoned fight for him. But not in the Pikmin way.
These units appear out of the blue, cast their attack, have a second or two of cooldown time, and then they vanish (like super short Assist Trophies).

A: Assassin Blade (a very quick sword SR strike from an assassin-type unit)
TiltA: Thief Sword (a very swift MR strike (unit advancing))
DownA: Mage Fire (an explosive SR ground attack)
UpA: Mage Thunder (a SR electrical bolt overhead attack)

Fsmash: Swordman strike (a fierce MR leap-strike)
Dsmash: Fighter Axe (a strong downward SR axe strike that hits behind as well)
Usmash: Knight Lance spin (a knight spins lance over his head)

B: Light Mage attack (Casts an aura of pure radial damaging light around self, has cooldown)
Btilt: Arrow attack (a long ranged arrow shot)
Bdown: Wizard Flux (SR if uncharged, MR if charged)
Bup: Pegasus Rescue (A pegasus knight rescues you, and advances in the direction you choose before dropping you off)

Dash Attack: Stops dead, but a Horseman unit with a spear keeps going and jousts through multiple opponents.
Grab: Knight throws chained-axe that wraps opponent and pulls toward him. Then he strikes him with his gauntles, throws to the ground, tosses up in the air, or to the sides.

Nair: Pirate double axe spin.
Fair: Pegasus spear advance
Dair: Pegasus lance dive
Bair: Pegasus backward javelin throw
Uair: Pegasus lance rising

Final Smash: (still working on it)

I know it's kind of generic, but it's the best I can do with only TWO Fire Emblem games under my belt. :p

P.S. I was thinking about a super gimmicky version, where the UNITS can die, kinda like the Pikmin, except if a particular unit "assigned" to a particular button input dies, Tactician is deprived of said Button move.

Example, if his FSMASH misses, and your opponent hits him back with a smash attack (or a strong move), then Swordman dies, and you're left without a Fsmash until you lose the stock.
...but this might be programming hell...
I think it would work if you lost it only for a limited amount of time. Like how Wario can't use his bike right away after it's destroyed. I would really be excited to hear the FE death woosh sound whenever I fight the Tactician. And they could accumulate damage even, like Wario's bike (although it can't take a lot).

Hong

The Strongest
I agree with Jay that they should just be temporarily knocked out of commission.

I understand that permanent death is a flavour of the Fire Emblem series, though it doesn't work well with the direction Smash Bros has gone. Everyone lives longer and longer with each entry. I doubt it will get worse than it was in Brawl, but somethings tells me everyone will still be hanging around for a bit longer than they were in Melee. It won't take long before you lose a few units here and there, and then you are stuck with only a few moves to fight with until you die. While it is deep and challenging, that's not fun gameplay.

I like your move list, but needs manakete!

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Gonna throw some support to Robin, he's the 3rd lord-class character in Awakening, and he'll also have a really interesting playstyle. Fitting with Sakurai's quote of customization, he/she fits the bill perfectly. A fast sword-wielder who can throw magic spells around would be pretty intense, but I don't like the idea of him having a tacticians moveset. Robin's a fighter before he's the tactician, and if we want to draw inspiration from the story...well, the plot twist from the final arc of the game should give him more than enough moves alongside the obvious sword/fire/thunder/wind attacks.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Robin's a fighter before he's the tactician,
Relevant.

Lon'qu: ...You are a strange one. Strategist or soldier—most men make their choice and don't look back.
Robin: Then I choose to be the first man to pick both.

But your not wrong. There doesn't have to be moves based on the role of being a tactician. There are a crap ton of possibilities with or without.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Relevant.

Lon'qu: ...You are a strange one. Strategist or soldier—most men make their choice and don't look back.

But your not wrong. There doesn't have to be moves based on the role of being a tactician. There are a crap ton of possibilities with or without.
Ah, right. I haven't seen that particular support,I was more referring to how they're handled throughout the game; what with Robin being able to do anything and everything on the field of combat, and actually has their own ending, whereas the tactician from FE7 didn't play any role in combat at all, so that quote probably sums Robin up perfectly - the middle man who does them both. Chrom and Robin's S rank support also backs that up pretty nicely.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ah, right. I haven't seen that particular support,I was more referring to how they're handled throughout the game; what with Robin being able to do anything and everything on the field of combat, and actually has their own ending, whereas the tactician from FE7 didn't play any role in combat at all, so that quote probably sums Robin up perfectly - the middle man who does them both. Chrom and Robin's S rank support also backs that up pretty nicely.
welcome to the forums, Azule07.

Hong

The Strongest
I wanted to actually have Warp as her recovery with my move list. She would raise the Warp staff and fire out a ball of light. On contact with a surface, she would warp there, and on contact with a player, she would switch places. Though I really wanted to get the three key elements and Ignis into her special moves so I couldn't get it to fit. I was still able to fit in some elements of Grima, with dark flames in a few of her attacks, a cryptic taunt and even bringing Grima into the fight with her Final Smash.
I haven't seen that. Perhaps because I haven't raised a male tactician all too high. Lon'qu had some sexist berating instead.
welcome to the forums, Azule07.
I concur.

Also, I like that Azule basically has all the same points of view that I do, especially in regards to Lucina and Chrom. More Fire Emblem fans is nice, too.

IzanamiiRin

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I've read over this thread and I really liked all the move-sets that everyone has thought up of, and naturally, the gears in my head started spinning and not long after, I had thought of another one.
Now, as I said, I've read over this thread and really liked these move-sets that people created... so I thought it'd be cool to use aspects of the move-sets that really appealed to me and put it in one idea, or something like that.

Anyways, Here goes, critiscm and opinions blah blah blah are very much welcome...

B/Special Moves (I believe thats the appropriate term right?)

(Neutral) B
- Rally Spectrum -
(Now, as I've said before, I got inspiration from some of, if not, all the move-sets.
Though I've decided to change the usage of Rally to incorporate some of the other ideas.)

Robin initiates the Rally Spectrum skill, using this skill gives Robin one Rally token
(Maximum of 2 rally tokens at once, token will be shown as the rally icon above Robin)
This will be the main aspect of Robin's move-set

(Also, note that Robin will be able to move while using an attack that requires rally token)

(Forward) B
- Astra -
(Idea 1)
Owain/Lon'qu/"insert swordmaster"
Appears in front of Robin and performs the Astra skill by striking the opponent up to 5 times.
-Low Launching capabilities, medium-fast startup, and costs one Rally Token-
(Imagine it as something like Marth's forward B)
~%2 A hit, last hit does %4 and has a little bit of knockback~
> %12 Damage in total <

- Manakete -
(Idea 2)
Nowi/Nah/Tiki
Appears above Robin and turns into a manakete, after turning, manakete proceeds to firing a (Meteor thingy?) in front of Robin
-High launching Capabilities, slow start up, costs 2 rally tokens-
(Direct contact with one of the manakete girls thats transformed damages and launches forwards in range of the actual attack)
~ Touching Manakete does %5 damage, Manakete blast/fire does %15 damage ~
> %20 total damage <

(Phew, I dunno much of balanced damage, but this concludes forward B)

(Down) B
-Hex-
(Idea 1)
Tharja/Henry (Hehehehe Tharja.... Hehehe <3 )
Appears and casts a pentagram around Robin's vicinity, if opponents is hit, it does damage over time.
Hex doesn't do any initial damage except for the Damage over time, Tharja/Henry stays in the center of the hex for around 10 seconds, damage over time can be negated after striking Tharja/Henry.
-No Launching capabilities, Medium Start up, costs a rally token-
(Think of it as Luigi's Smashball attack, though only covering about twice the size of Robin's space, pentagram seal and a shade of purple)
~ %2 damage per second ~
> %20 total damage <

- Convoy -
(Idea 2)
Anna the Merchant ( :3 )
Rift door materializes quite a distance in front of Robin, Anna runs out from the door and heads toward Robin. If Anna reaches Robin, she'll give Robin either a Tome or a Sword and runs back to her rift door.
If Robin is attacked while Anna is approaching Robin, Anna will run back to her Rift door and leave. If opponent comes into contact with Anna or the door, they'll fall asleep for a small amount of time. Anna will attack opponents in front of her with a Lance attack.
- (If Anna attacks) Meduim Launch capabilites, Slow Start up, costs 2 rally tokens
(Anna will jump and drop to where Robin is if need be, when close to Robin, she'll stay put until approached by Robin, in this state, she will not attack or be scared off by opponents. Though she'll leave after a few seconds back to her door)
~ Anna's lance attack will do %10 Damage ~
> Depends how stupid the opponents is ... lol <

(Up) B
- Rescue Stave -
(Idea 1)
Lissa/Maribelle
Appears on a pegasus (Falcon Flier) mount and uses a rescue staff, bringing Robin to their vicinity.
Direction of Lissa/Maribelle rescue staff skill can be changed with the Analog stick, this attack does no damage.
-Costs a rally token-

- Dark Flier -
(Idea 2)
Sumia/Cordelia
Appears beside Robin and grabs her/him. Once Sumia/Cordelia grabs Robin (Instantaneous) she swoops up surrounded by lightning/fire/wind (No matter how ironic it is for them to be surrounded by wind magic lol, also, the magic makes no difference other than looks)
If opponent is hit by Sumia/Cordelia this does deal damage.
- Medium launch capabilities, Fast startup, costs 2 rally tokens -
(This move will rise on angle with the direction of the analog stick)
~ Attack deals %15 damage ~
> %15 Total damage <

(Neutral with Smash Ball) B
- Master Tactitian -
Robin uses a boosted rally skill which allows infinite use of rally token for a few seconds (10-20)
~ Additional presses with neutral B during this time will switch between 1&2 rally token skills ~

That concludes the B moves, now on to the normals and smashes. :D
( Remember Anna being awesome and selling you a Tome/Sword? Well, now that comes in here)

(Neutral) A
- Slash -
(Sword)
Robin slashes at the opponent, can chain together with other neutral A's to create a 3 hit combo.
-Low launch capabilities, Fast, short range-
(First two hits are slashes that create a X shape, third hit is a stab that goes theough the middle of the X created by the first 2 hits)
~ First hit %1 / Second hit %2 / Third hit %3 ~
> %6 Total damage <

- Wind swept -
(Tome)
Robin swipes at the opponent creating wind magic at his/her finger tips. This is a 2 hit combo.
- Second hit has medium launch capabilities, medium start up, medium range on second hit -
(First hit is an angled swipe starting around Robin's torso and ending above his/her head, second hit is a wind blast shot forward, first hit has no launch)
~ First hit %2 / Second hit %4 ~
> %6 total damage <

I actually started writing the rest of the move-set, but I feel like I wasn't taking it seriously enough for it to benefit the B moves, so for now, this is what part of the move set I thought up. If you have any questions about the move-set just ask and I'll answer as best as I can. Fingers crossed for Robin in SSB4

PS- Sorry for any mistakes and my lazy grammar this post, The "FECharacter"/"FECharacter" Just means which of the characters related to that certain attack I would like to see using, priority goes to the first mentioned name...
Oh, and if I called Robin, Morgan, for whatever reason, sorry...

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
That's a neat moveset.

The final smash might be a bit under powered in comparison to some of the other final smashes out there. Possible also throw in a boost of strength.
Also welcome to the forums! :D

IzanamiiRin

Smash Rookie
Hehe, Thanks for the welcoming!

Keep in mind that Robin can still move during a unit's attack, so maybe you can use Owain to get the opponent stuck in a combo and then run in and use Tharja to cast the damage over time right away. So you'd be able to chain many unit moves at the same time like this without having to spend time using a rally spectrum, though, this is my fault for neglecting to fully explain everything :p

PS- I do concur that other Final Smash are much stronger, but if you play your cards right, you could possibly get more than just one kill on the opponent... extra damage during the final smash is very much viable as well. Thanks for your opinion!

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
The idea of Robin being in Smash didn't even occur to me until I saw this thread. Now I'm convinced that he/she is a much better choice than both Chrom and Lucina (as much as I like all three characters).

An interesting Final Smash could be if he summoned a bunch of FE:A characters. Like a cross between Pit's Brawl FS and WFT's Final Smash.

Hong

The Strongest
It is always nice to see yet another fresh moveset. ^~^

However, I am always wary about bringing fully rendered, animated entities into the fray. From a technical standpoint, if we wanted gameplay to be fast-paced, the 3DS version will take a long time to load matched where Robin is chosen (even on cartridge media), and even then if we have stages like the Uprising one in the background there is no way we can maintain a good frame-rate. Especially if you can act while they are involved, and many Robins or other performance-intensive fighters are involved. :/

Edit - Bad English. >~<

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Agree with Lunadis.

Fire Emblem is brimming with lots of awesome overpowered magic tomes. If I were on the development team I'd just choose one of those and call it a day.

And for flair, have her face come over the screen like in awakening and she says "Time to tip the scales!" As long as that's there, the final smash could be utter garbage and it still would be satisfying.

IzanamiiRin

Smash Rookie
It is always nice to see yet another fresh moveset. ^~^

However, I am always wary about bringing fully rendered, animated entities into the fray. From a technical standpoint, if we wanted gameplay to be fast-paced, the 3DS version will take a long time to load matched where Robin is chosen (even on cartridge media), and even then if we have stages like the Uprising one in the background there is no way we can maintain a good frame-rate. Especially if you can act while they are involved, and many Robins or other performance-intensive fighters are involved. :/

Edit - Bad English. >~<
I concur, I was also quite skeptical about its viability in the actual game, I was quite sure Sakurai wouldn't want to spend sooo much time on one character like that or risk frame rates xD

I just had to write it down, maybe I'll make a more feasible move-set for my second attempt :p

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Just wanna throw some support to Robin here. One of my most wanted SSB4 characters!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I already mentioned in multiple other threads that I could possibly see Sakurai going with the My Unit to represent FE13 if he absolutely does not want to cut Ike and thinks Chrom is way too similar to the FE characters we have already received in Smash Bros.

Reasons for this include that out of the three main protagonists for FE13, My Unit has the biggest contrasts both in appearance and ability wise in comparison to the Smash Bros. FE trio (Marth, Roy, and Ike).

Marth could plausibly be made to look similar to Lucina (his FE13 re-design already does this) and Ike could be made to look like Chrom (Ike already has a native outfit that covers the whole completely bare arm thing, and the character designer for FE13 said he wanted to make a re-design of FE10 Ike, of which probably would have ended up using Chrom's model).

By having My Unit in as well, the main protagonist trio of FE13 would be there in spirit.

The biggest obstacle I thought to including My Unit was that the character had no defined name, gender, or appearance. Yet with the inclusion of the Villager, that throws that out the window.

I think of the three FE13 main protagonists, the My Unit would probably be the best received by far due to his/her strong contrasts with FE characters that have already been in Smash Bros., as opposed to "just another blue-haired swordsman".

Sakurai himself is a very big fan of the FE series, so keep in mind he may be in tune with cynicism about the "FE cycle" (replacing a series veteran with the latest hero).

I think if he throws in Roy as well as with the faux FE13 trio (well My Unit will really be My Unit), then by far the most people will be happy with FE's playable representation in Smash Bros.

Hong

The Strongest
I already mentioned in multiple other threads that I could possibly see Sakurai going with the My Unit to represent FE13 if he absolutely does not want to cut Ike and thinks Chrom is way too similar to the FE characters we have already received in Smash Bros.

Reasons for this include that out of the three main protagonists for FE13, My Unit has the biggest contrasts both in appearance and ability wise in comparison to the Smash Bros. FE trio (Marth, Roy, and Ike).
I agree.

It is possible to have Chrom and Ike in the same game, but unless Chrom comes up with something completely fresh I don't see both of them in the same game. Could be a pairing system or some play dynamic I am not thinking of, but the notion on these boards that they can have a character between Marth and Ike, and call that interesting or worth development time, is absurd. It's not going to happen. If Chrom is in, he either has some new gimmick that doesn't overlap with other characters, or he is replacing Ike.

With Robin, they can deliver a new Fire Emblem character, fulfill the necessitities of fan service, and offer a new gameplasy experience. It is more a matter of whether or not they see this as a potential gameplay experience that other Nintendo characters cannot fulfill, versus the above case where the solution is not so simple.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I agree.

It is possible to have Chrom and Ike in the same game, but unless Chrom comes up with something completely fresh I don't see both of them in the same game. Could be a pairing system or some play dynamic I am not thinking of, but the notion on these boards that they can have a character between Marth and Ike, and call that interesting or worth development time, is absurd. It's not going to happen. If Chrom is in, he either has some new gimmick that doesn't overlap with other characters, or he is replacing Ike.

With Robin, they can deliver a new Fire Emblem character, fulfill the necessitities of fan service, and offer a new gameplasy experience. It is more a matter of whether or not they see this as a potential gameplay experience that other Nintendo characters cannot fulfill, versus the above case where the solution is not so simple.
This is what I have been thinking. I think if Chrom does manage to get in, he's coming in with a gimmick (if alongside Ike) or he is outright replacing Ike if he doesn't (inherits much of Ike's moveset).

I think Chrom's gimmick would probably be a tag team, but considering Sakurai has said that he is struggling with tag team characters in the 3DS version, that may not be feasible.

Well, we are probably about year away from finding out at least some of Sakurai's plans pertaining to Smash 4.

I don't think "middle of the road" is something that would make Chrom a compelling addition or contrast him enough to Marth or Ike.

I think another problem for the My Unit though is that although the character is a main character of FE13, he/she gets far less exposure than Chrom and Lucina, which is ironic considering that My Unit is more of a lord than Lucina is (available from the start of the game, and you get a game over if he/she dies). The lack of exposure is a problem because Sakurai may not come up with the idea of having the My Unit as the playable FE13 character.

Its possible that the idea (as well as possibly that of Anna) could come up if Sakurai were to go forward to IS about dilemma of representing FE in Smash Bros. (how to represent FE13, Chrom/Lucina's similarities to Marth/Ike, the strong demand for Roy's return, the harsh reaction that would be met with replacing Ike with Chrom, etc.).

FE probably has the most possibilities as to what will be done with it than any other veteran franchise in Smash Bros.

I really think the best way to make people happy is to for the series to get four slots, and for the FE13 character to be a big contrast from Marth, Roy, and Ike.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Robin gets less exposure than the other two because they don't like canonizing an appearance. The hooded design is not feasible for cover art as dynamic as the game's cover. Kozaki Yusuke designed the cover which was completely different than what the developers imagined. They thought it would be everyone just standing around, while Kozaki chose to make it more action packed.

Robin was featured on an OST for Club Nintendo members:

But even they the picture specifically does not show the face

If Robin was somehow not found during Sakurai's research phase, then I would honestly think very little of this research phase. I don't think there is that much of a dilemma with what to do with FE as opposed to other series. The perceived similarities with Chrom and Lucina have nothing to do with their actual movesets and can be easily avoided. I think FE13 is more likely to get representation than not.

I don't see them using any design not present in Ike or Marth's main appearances. Having a costume that looks like Chrom and Lucina would not placate fans of those characters. Those costumes will be made for the benefit of Ike and Marth as characters (to have more costumes), rather than in the name of Chrom and Lucina. I could see those as alternate costumes. I think we will see Ike in his RD appearance and Marth in his FE12 appearance.

Although four slots is a nice thought, I think three is a better mindset to have. Fire Emblem isn't as big or a series as say Donkey Kong. Any perceived backlash from Smash FE fans won't make them choose to not purchase the game in any sort of large numbers, so if I were Sakurai I would do what's best for Smash 4 and the series.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Hey, I whipped a pretty good moveset. Take a look if you want.

[collapse=AVATAR/MY UNIT/ROBIN MOVESET]

General: I like the name Avatar the best, and for simplicity's sake I shall refer to him as a male. Since the Avatar can be every class in the game, I think it makes the most sense to use Skills from all classes. Skills are the most tangible bonus from changing classes in Awakening. Naturally keeping the Avatar in the tactician class makes the most sense canonically, so simply carrying over skills make sense for a moveset.
First and foremost, the Avatar is a Tactician and made this moveset to emphasize that. It's all about how the moves work together, using their special effects and being able to adjust to varied situations.

Playstyle: The Avatar should be pretty middle of the line in terms of speed, power and weight. His basic attacks are not particularly powerful and he lacks an easily land-able kill move. However, his special moves are where he shines: the Avatar will be a stance character. His stances should remind one of his weapons' usefulness in Awakening. Sword Stance attacks are fast and better at close range. Tome Stance attacks are slow and more suited for ranged combat.

Special Moves:
- Standard Special: Ignis/Vengence

-- Sword Stance Standard Special: Ignis
Ignis is a class skill of Grandmasters (The promotion of tactician), and the most iconic move of the Avatar.
When Ignis is used, the Avatar will hold his sword in front of his face and it will glow with blue flame and pink flower petals - the Avatar will have some vulnerability here.This will add an aura of blue fire and pink rose petals to the Avatar's next attack, and will also make it more powerful (similar to Lucas' Project M Standard Special).

-- Tome Stance Standard Special: Vengeance
Vengeance is the class skill of Sorcerers. In Awakening adds half of one's accrued damage to your attacks. It's simple to see how it could be used in Smash - as Avatar takes damage this move begins to do more damage.
There are many ways this could be used, but here's my idea. When used, this attack will create a small fire in front directly in front of the Avatar (akin to Ness' PK Fire, it will trap you in it for a short time). As the Avatar's damage percentage increases the fire will begin to gain a purple hue (maxing out about where Lucario's damage done/given ratio does, the fire will turn fully purple. [The icon for the Vengeance skill in Awakening is Purple Fire.]) Obviously the damage done by the fire will increase, but also the fire's trapping power. Giving one time to follow up with a good hit (i,e. the vengeance). Naturally, the nature of this attack will mean it will be very weak at first. It should have moderate casting lag, but it will remain (Like Ness' PK Fire) and allow Avatar free movement.

- Side Special: Luna/Lifetaker

-- Sword Stance Side Special: Luna
Luna is the class skill of Great Knights. Luna halves the enemy's def/res when you attack.
The Avatar a lunging sword slash. This move would have good range. Luna would effect a shielding opponent in much the way a Mr. Saturn would (or possibly less, depending on how OP it would be). It would do little damage otherwise.

-- Tome Stance Side Special: Lifetaker
Lifetaker is the class skill of Dark Knights. This heals half a unit's HP when they kill an opponent.
After some casting lag, Avatar will produce a moderately sized ball of green lightning (Again based on the skill's icon - it actually more closely resembles green wind. Wind seemed more suited for Galeforce and I wanted all three types of magic represented in his Specials.) It will move forward slowly and dissipate quickly (think Luigi's Brawl Fireball). It will do moderate damage with little knockback. It will heal the Avatar 1/3-1/4 of the damage done.

- Up Special: Lethality/Galeforce

-- Sword Stance Up Special: Lethality
Lethality is the class skill of Assassins. It has the ability to instantly kill a unit.
Naturally, this is way too OP to be transferred directly to Smash, but I thought: what's the closest thing to an insta-kill in Smash? A Meteor Smash. Avatar would perform a diagonal jump in the direction he/she was facing and follow up with a very powerful meteor at the end of the attack. This would be very hard to land as it's attack window and range are very small. However, if you can properly trap an opponent in the jump part of the move they could be carried to the end and Meteor Smashed. (Think Luigi's Coin Punch, if you do it right it can be powerful.)

-- Tome Stance Up Special: Galeforce
Galefore is the class skill of Dark Fliers. Galeforce allows a unit to move and attack once more after killing an opponent. This move is only generally available to Female units, but the Avatar can be either sex so I figured it could work.
The Avatar would perform an attack very much Like Fox's Up Special; it would have a little starting lag, could be aimed in the same 8 directions and would be a tackle imbued with purple wind (Icon for the skill). Here's where things get interesting: if it comes in contact with an opponent, an additional attack is added at the end. Furthermore, if the Avatar hits an opponent with this move they will not enter freefall. The Avatar will get the ability to "move" again afterward. Note that this extra ability can only be used once in the air (before touching the ground) to keep things fair and similar to skill's in game usage.

- Down Special: Swordfaire/Tomefaire
Using this move will switch between Sword/Tome as the Avatar's primary weapon. For simpplicity's sake this will only effect the Avatar's Special Moves. The switch should be quick, quick enough that it allows for an experienced Avatar player to change stances on the fly. The fancy names are passive attack skills in Awakening. Yes, this also means Kirby can copy 2 different attacks from him.

- Final Smash: Rally Spectrum
Rally Spectrum is a class skill of Grandmasters (The promotion of tactician). It increases all the stats of friendly units within range by 4 for a turn.
Naturally, the Avatar would yell, "Time to tip the scales!" and then he would grab his sword as if performing Ignis, but instead of blue flames and petals the Avatar is covered in an aura of rainbow flames (sort of like when one has the smash ball, but with a more realistic fire effect to differentiate). When imbued with this rainbow flame all aspects of the Avatar get stronger: The Avatar is faster, stronger and immune to damage. This will last about the time that Wario Man lasts. Also, a new mechanic is introduced during the Avatar's Final Smash: Critical Hits. Every attack he launches during his FS has a 10% chance of being a Critical Hit - meaning 3 times as much damage. (Hey, the Avatar's Skill stat gets a boost too.) He should yell one of his critical quotes when it happens too, "Checkmate!" or "You're Finished!" work since "Time to tip the scales!" was already used. Homerun Bat sound effect optional. This is also one's time for the Avatar's strategy to run rampant - the starting lag on all Tome Stance Specials is reduced significantly and Lifetaker's projectile moves faster and goes further. Go for the gold and try to get a Critical Hit while using Lifetaker.

- Smash Moves: The Avatar's smashes involve his magic. They will have decent lag for the cast, but make up for it with relatively large range.

-- Side Smash: Thoron
The Avatar sheathes his sword and reads from his book (here are the charging frames).
He then thrusts one arm out in front of himself and a large bolt of lightening extends from his hand. This move will be multi-hit move which deals little damage or knockback. More of a stunning move if anything.

-- Down Smash: Elwind
The Avatar sheathes his sword and reads from his book (here are the charging frames).
He then ducks and thrusts both arms outward releasing medium sized gusts of green wind in both directions. This move will do little to no damage, but lots of knockback.

-- Up Smash: Elfire
He then thrusts one arm directly upward creating a medium sized ball of fire and detonates it. It should do the most damage of any of his smashes, but overall not very much.

- Basic Attacks: Basic Attacks will, mostly, involve his Sword.

-- Side Tilt:
The Avatar performs a weak slash with poor range directly in front of him.

-- Up Tilt:
The Avatar performs a slash directly upward. Average damage and poor range.

-- Down Tilt:
The Avatar will take a step down and duck and give a quick sweeping jab upward.

-- Dash Attack:
The Avatar will take a large step forward and strike with butt of the sword. Poor range but reasonable power.

-- Combo: This Combo will use sword and magic (I liked the idea of magical combo I read in someone's moveset, but I wanted to stay somewhat original.) (This idea comes from Injustice: Gods Among Us - if you've played it you may be familiar with a Combo of Sinistro where does 1 or 2 normal hits and then creates three enrgy spikes at different time intervals to hit his opponent. This combo would be similar.)

This move would be truly unique - the only ranged combo. It starts off with a quick and low damage sword slash, nut then the Avatar open his book and casts a spell. The Avatar's Spell tome will glow and three pillars of magic will appear (or less, if the button is pressed fewer times). The first pillar will be short fire magic, the second pillar will be medium sized wind magic and third will be a larger thunder magic pillar.

The main thing to remember with this move is that each successive hit gets further away from the Avatar and thus leaving him more open to attack. Connecting the slash and continuing with combo is not recommended, because the opponent will likely be able to close the distance and interrupt your attack. The same goes for characters with longer reach and the first hit of the spell combo.

- Grabs/Throws: The Avatar's throws will involve his Magic.

-- Grab: The Avatar will use both hands to grab his opponent (sword and tome still in them).

-- Pummel: The Avatar will quickly knee his opponent.

-- Upward Throw: Arcwind
The Avatar casts a tornado in front of him trapping his enemy for a few low damage hits. The tornado dissipates, launching his opponent upward. This throw will send his opponent the furthest.

-- Downward Throw: Arcfire
The Avatar jumps upward and releases a steady stream of fire from one of his hands downward at his opponent. This will also be a multi-hit attack, but do slightly more damage than his Up Throw.

-- Forward Throw: Arcthunder
The Avatar seemingly lets go of his opponent, but quickly casts a spell which causes a bolt of lightning to strike them appearing just above their head.

-- Backward Throw: This one doesn't involve magic for the sake of keeping all types of magic equally represented.
The Avatar jumps up, throwing his opponent behind him and then follows with a swift backward kick.

- Aerial Attacks: That Avatar's aerials will involve his sword.

-- Neutral Aerial:
The Avatar will perform a quick vertical spin attack with his sword. Sort of like what you see in Attack On Titan.

-- Forward Aerial:
The Avatar gives a quick elbow directly in front of himself. Quite fast, poor range, medium damage.

-- Backward Aerial:
The Avatar performs a quick jab with his sword behind him without turning around. (You know that cool Samurai move where they don't look back and just stab behind them? Yeah, like that. Failed to find a good example.) This would be one of the Avatar's fastest moves and would be a fairly good spike.

-- Down Aerial:
The Avatar readies his spellbook and brings it down hard on his enemies. (I felt he was missing something amusing). This is not quite a meteor.

-- Up Aerial:
The Avatar performs a slash in a simple arc above his head. It can also hit enemies behind him if timed/aimed properly.

Notes:
I originally planned Avatar's Sword Stance Side Special to be Astra. But I felt it would have been to similar to Marth's Side Special. It would have been extremely like Dolphin Blade but could go up to five hits. The hits themselves would have been less varied than Marth's, but have greater trapping power at the cost of being very weak. I feel Luna gives a better feeling of 'strategy' to the Avatar than this move did anyway. Astra just popped into my head first.
I also originally thought of the Sword Stance Up Special as Sol (another move that heals the user). I had forgotten I already planned his Tome Stance Side Special as Lifetaker. I think Lethality became a more interesting idea anyway.
[/collapse]

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think having Chrom in with a simple "middle of the road" gimmick is going to make the character probably the least popular of all newcomers that Smash 4 will receive, regardless if he were to be completely unique.

I think if Sakurai simply wanted a "middle of the road" swordsmen, he would simply go with Roy.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The middle of the road concept is more of a reference to stat distribution and has nothing to with his actual gimmick from the way I look at things. Balanced character are common in fighting games. When looking at Marth, they reflect the stat distribution in one of their games, as Marth takes several cues from it and Ike has a lot in common with his RD stats (despite being based on his PoR form). Chrom is a balanced character with a higher speed in his game, so it stands to reason he would be balanced character in Smash. I doubt Chrom would be least popular as long as he's an effective fighter. He has a strong design and is popular within his own game. There are still those that prefer Mario or Ryu in their fighting games.

That being said, I'd much rather prefer Robin and Lucina to Chrom. Robin has really grown on me, so I would really love to see her in the game. It's between Lucina and Robin for my number one most wanted newcomer. Robin also has staying power. After the success from this character in Awakening, I can't imagine the next FE not including an Avatar character in some way, so the next Smash would have the next tactician character's design.

Hey, I whipped a pretty good moveset. Take a look if you want.
I like the idea of stances for tomes and swords, but I would want them to go all out and make all attacks in the moveset either magic or swords. But Smash could use a stance fighter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Chrom is a balanced character with a higher speed in his game, so it stands to reason he would be balanced character in Smash. I doubt Chrom would be least popular as long as he's an effective fighter. He has a strong design and is popular within his own game. There are still those that prefer Mario or Ryu in their fighting games.
I bet pretty heavily against this. Most people are going to whine about Chrom if he just ends up being "another blue-haired swordsmen".

I have been with the Smash Bros. fan community since 2001, so I pretty much have my finger on the pulse to it.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I like the idea of stances for tomes and swords, but I would want them to go all out and make all attacks in the moveset either magic or swords. But Smash could use a stance fighter.
I really only had a lot of ideas for specials, basic moves aren't really where I shine. So I just made stances effect his specials.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I was just referring to his stat distribution. I believe they would give him a unique enough moveset to where that wouldn't be an issue. He wouldn't be the game's least popular fighter. Perhaps not the most popular, but definitely would not be the least. I would bet on that.
And as I've said, it doesn't matter how much his haters complain, because they will still make the economic decision to buy the game. If they don't want to play as him that's fine. But within the larger population of people who buy the game (the ten million people who bought Brawl), he won't be the least popular character. And he would be an appealing add to FE13 fans.

Back to Robin. I'm really tempted to make a stance based moveset. I am in the process of making a stance based moveset for Lucina, but it fits Robin so much better. My last moveset pretty much ignored the fact that you have to hold a tome in order to do magic. I did so I could have fire sword and lightning sword attacks like from Secret of Mana or the Dual Techs from Chrono Trigger.
I really only had a lot of ideas for specials, basic moves aren't really where I shine. So I just made stances effect his specials.
Gotcha. The practical side of me thinks special changes would be more likely because it would require less time. But the more ambitious side of me thinks it would be awesome stances. But it's a good moveset regardless. I like using skills for specials. And the Rally Spectrum as a final smash is a good idea.

Top Bottom