• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Justsomedude

Smash Rookie
My idea to get past the whole "Male Robin or Female Robin" problem is to pull a Zelda/Sheik scenario because (SPOLIER ALERT) in Awakening they said that Robin was only a vassal for Grima, they probably didn't look like Grima.
So what you could do is maybe have Female Robin (default appearance) have different magical attacks (thunder, fire, wind, ect.) for smashes and "B moves". Then you take Male Robin, (still default appearance) make all his smashes and "B moves" dark magic based, make his sword look more evil looking, give him some dark looking tattoos for added effect and change the name to Grima.
Now the Zelda/Sheik scenario is a Robin/Grima scenario using the same "Down B" function to swap between the two.
I also had an idea in this scenario to give them different final smashes, Robin having Mjolnir (random large bolts of thunder rain on the map for a set period of time) and Grima gets to summon those evil purple spikes (that were seen in Endgame of Awakening) and have them shoot around the map at random.
I also just want to let you know that I am not trying to upstage you and that I thought that your idea was a really good one. (really liked the Rally idea)

Justsomedude

Smash Rookie
As for My idea for the roster, I think it will be,
Lucina (lightweight and fast character)
Chrom (Heavy and slower character)
And hopefully Robin (in between character, not too fast or slow, not too strong or weak)

Hong

The Strongest
I do not see the need to debate over female or male when the roster is a sausagefest. ~o~

Edit - I will also add that it does not have to canonize anything. Don't overcomplicate things.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Forget Chrom...we have enough male sword using fire emblem characters and I don't want another one. Lucina would be a nice change, but I think Robin would be the best to add, let us choose between default male/female Robin and let him/her use swords....and MAGIC. And that's all.

Justsomedude

Smash Rookie
I do not see the need to debate over female or male when the roster is a sausagefest. ~o~

Edit - I will also add that it does not have to canonize anything. Don't overcomplicate things.
Yes well, there are always going to be people who will be like "Oh what if I wanted to play as the Female Avatar" of "Oh what if I wanted to play as the Male Avatar" and considering in Awakening you could pick between male or female, if they only put the male in the game there will always be that one nutjob who is going to call them out on sexism. Just trying to dodge the controversy this character could bring.
I have also been known to overcomplicate things in the past, will try to work on that, also, I'm not TRYING to canonize things, I just thought it would be a cool idea.

Justsomedude

Smash Rookie

Yes well, there are always going to be people who will be like "Oh what if I wanted to play as the Female Avatar" of "Oh what if I wanted to play as the Male Avatar" and considering in Awakening you could pick between male or female, if they only put the male in the game there will always be that one nutjob who is going to call them out on sexism. Just trying to dodge the controversy this character could bring.
I have also been known to overcomplicate things in the past, will try to work on that, also, I'm not TRYING to canonize things, I just thought it would be a cool idea.

Justsomedude

Smash Rookie
Forget Chrom...we have enough male sword using fire emblem characters and I don't want another one. Lucina would be a nice change, but I think Robin would be the best to add, let us choose between default male/female Robin and let him/her use swords....and MAGIC. And that's all.
I don't know if you are trying to criticize my idea for Robin, if you are not, then sorry.
My implied idea was to have both of them have normal sword attacks for their basic attacks and then have magic for their smashes and "B moves" sorry if I didn't clarify that.
And now that I think about it a bit more, we could probably drop Chrom for someone else, because when you put it like that your idea makes just about perfect sense.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The villager was in a very similar situation. The only evidence of what sakurai would or would not do when faced with the customization issue stems from there. Everything else is just speculation. At least we know these sort of characters can and have been added. I say we don't need to worry.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Robin would probably be my personal first choice for a new FE character to add. I think he could be a really cool and versatile character combining close-quarters swordplay and projectile magic. A magic-wielding rep from FE has also been a long time coming.

My fear though is that they'll simply replace Ike with Chrom (I definitely feel like Ike is getting replaced) and call it a day. Maybe add Lucina as well.

On the other hand Sakurai threw some real curveballs with 2 out of 3 of the announced newcomers, so I have my fingers crossed that he'll betray my expectations.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Robin has the potential to cause an upset for Chrom. People seem to think Chrom is such an obvious choice but as the Villager (from Animal Crossing) shows....there's still one other possibility.

I mean it's a main Fire Emblem character who can wield magic. That seems like a first (to me anyway...)

Plus I personally think Chrom looks too similar to Marth, so if they can make Robin look different from Marth I'll be happy.

In regards to the gender, I would be happy if they had a male and female Robin....and then two recolours for each of them. (Totalling six costumes) I think it would be possible since some of the male and female possibilities look similar to each other. There would probably have to be some liberties taken with the height difference though.

Another possibility that could be interesting, the cloak Robin wears has a hood right? Maybe they could make them keep the hood over their head so you can't actually see their face?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Let's give him/her the Wario treatment. Give it(?) six costumes for male, six for female.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I'll just say that Robin is my most wanted fire emblem rep. Fire Emblem characters so far have all been sword users but obviously that's not the only thing fire emblem has to offer. So utilizing a mage type character would bring a lot more interesting and unique stuff to the table in contrast to Chrom who is really just another lord with a sword :D I'd say it would be cool to have Chrom if we get MU as well though. Also, I honestly don't really see why they should put Roy back in...

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
After reading both Chrom,Lucina's and Robins support threads. I want at least five fire emblem reps!!! That's virtually impossible, but i'l take 1/3 of them.

Hong

The Strongest
I liked the Avatar in Awakening, but can someone sell this to me as a character that would be fun to play as in Smash Bros? :/

To simply have a set of moves or a fighting style is not enough. Every character in Smash Bros has a very specific design direction that aims to make them stand-out from the cast. They do something only they can do, and do it well.

For example, Smash Bros has a number of projectile-oriented characters. Link is a projectile mix-up sort of character that chips the enemy away at a distance, offset by lack of ranged KO power and stiff close-quarters combat. There are other projectile users, like the more heavy-hitting Samus, or the new mobile-gunner Mega Man. There is also a space-conscious caster in Zelda.

I gather Robin would be a "balanced" fighter to reflect the Tactician class, but I am having a hard time imagining this character as something truly unique. How can she differentiate herself from other balanced characters, or projectile users if it comes to that? It is even easier for me to imagine more Fire Emblem sword users having unique play styles than Robin does.

Again, my love for the character is there and if anyone could enlighten me on this, it would be much appreciated.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
If I understand this correctly Robin would use various magic based attacks (like Zelda) but would have a few sword based moves (Think basic attack using swords.) The magic could be chargeable. He could possibly incorporate the fell dragon Grima into his moveset. (As he is kinda like Grima) That's how I understand him/her at least.

Hong

The Strongest
Again, character presentation is not the same as character gameplay. For all we know a character would swing a cardboard tube and throw rubbish at the enemy and play the same. I am talking play style.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I liked the Avatar in Awakening, but can someone sell this to me as a character that would be fun to play as in Smash Bros? :/

To simply have a set of moves or a fighting style is not enough. Every character in Smash Bros has a very specific design direction that aims to make them stand-out from the cast. They do something only they can do, and do it well.

For example, Smash Bros has a number of projectile-oriented characters. Link is a projectile mix-up sort of character that chips the enemy away at a distance, offset by lack of ranged KO power and stiff close-quarters combat. There are other projectile users, like the more heavy-hitting Samus, or the new mobile-gunner Mega Man. There is also a space-conscious caster in Zelda.

I gather Robin would be a "balanced" fighter to reflect the Tactician class, but I am having a hard time imagining this character as something truly unique. How can she differentiate herself from other balanced characters, or projectile users if it comes to that? It is even easier for me to imagine more Fire Emblem sword users having unique play styles than Robin does.

Again, my love for the character is there and if anyone could enlighten me on this, it would be much appreciated.
If you take my moveset for example, it banks off using the rally skill (rally spectrum skill in awakening/play on role as tactician) to plan ahead. You put a lot into one hit and make sure it lands. That's much much different than other characters.
Throw that move out the door and you're left with magic based attacks that simply behave differently than other magic based character's moves which allows for different approaches. The speed, windup, hit frams ect. simply fall on sakurai's fine tweaking to be unique but there is definitely room for robin here. Hes not just throwing punches so it adds a whole other layer of possibilities.

If you're still not convinced than your standards are way too high. Imagine having to describe somebody like Luigi and how he can be unique. Its pretty hard to throw out a brief description that's unlike the other 40 characters.

Aesthetically Robin is totally different. I don't think I need to explain myself here.

Hong

The Strongest
Nah, I'm convinced. Just had to have someone put it into more effective terms, and I thank you for that.

Again, I actually liked the MU this time around. Was incredibly turned off by FE7, FE12 was okay but I rather not have had it, and FE13 actually made her feel like she had a reason for being there, and she has personality.

I think Robin is a more than valid representative.

Hong

The Strongest
I have a moveset that is different from OP. Not better or worse, just something I had in mind. I find as a playable character she goes very under-appreciated, and has lots of potential for unexplored territory.

Mine is a ranged-focused fighter backed up by swordplay, like a certain Hylian. That said, she has a stark contrast in play style from other ranged characters and many of her own faults to offset her gifts. Robin holds a sword in one hand and tome in the other, and her hair style and colour varies based on colour chosen. Wearing such a heavy robe over a surcoat and armour adds quite a bit of weight, granting Robin an above-average weight class but holding back her mobility in air and on ground.

It should go without saying, but much like how Link's sword or shield disappear for some attacks, Robin is no different with her sword and tome.

Specials
B: Ignis
Robin holds out her tome and the pages begin to turn. When fully charged, the tome is shut and will begin to glow. Using Ignis again will deliver a two-handed horizontal sword strike, creating a cascade of blue fire and a shower of flower petals, with alright damage and knockback.

But this is not the main use of Ignis.

Ignis will also empower the next smash attack or special, expending the effect on contact. Any opponents struck by this attack will suffer additional damage and knockback, with a slash effect and a spread of flower petals. This special doesn't take very long to charge and its not powerful on its own, but the combo-effect packs a punch!

This is a charging move of the classic variety, so you can put it on hold with the shield button and resume at any time.

B Forward: Thunder
Launches a ball of spark that can be curved up or down, and bursts into electricity on contact. This is a staple zoning projectile that is good for racking up damage and working down shields, and can even get early KOs when paired with Ignis on recovering adversaries. Should not be confused with Din's Fire, as it cannot be manipulated or detonated on command, and multiple can be launched in succession.

B Up: Elwind
Robin spreads her arms and spirals upwards with a pillar of wind (which can be curved), doing a doward slice at the peak and on the way down. This is inspired by the "Light Spear" technique from the Tales of series. I hate Up Bs that are just recoveries, so I find this will make for a great out-of-shield option when the enemy is directly on-top of Robin.

Ignis is only applied on the sword part, and she grabs the ledge on the way up or down.

B Down: Arcfire
Robin extends her hand and a massive blast of flame erupts from her hand in a narrow cone. This is a passively-charging attack; it takes three seconds between uses (or else it is just a puff), and 12 for a full charge. It actually does good damage on full charge, but even with Ignis the knockback isn't spectacular, and it won't hit properly if the enemy is too close. It is something that is meant to be used frequently, but strategically.

Robin's sword hand burns with fire when the move is fully charged. A prepped Arcfire has about 1/4th the length of FD, while a full charge extends about 1/3rd.

Final Smash: Calamity
Robin begins to radiate a dark aura, hunching over a bit and covering her face to conceal an anguished expression as Grima tries to wrest control of her mind, the fel dragon emerging in the background. He smashes the stage with both fists, causing spikes to erupt on both the surface and sides (so you can't just ledge-hog), dealing significant damage and having excellent (but not guaranteed) KO power. If you are prepared and in the air and weave between the spikes, you might be able to air dodge it, but the spikes come out a bit staggered so it's very difficult to avoid on smaller stages. The dark aura leaves Robin and she shakes her head, regaining control of herself.

Smash Attacks
Forward
A two-part attack beginning with a mighty sword thrust. On connection, lightning strikes the enemy from above (like Lightning Thrust, Tales of-inspired again) and they are blasted away.

Up
Robin raises her fist upwards, engulfing herself with a pillar of flame, hitting nearby foes and directly above. Video game logic and the rule of cool protects her from self-damage, of course. :b

Down
Robin punches the ground, sending two wind gusts/shockwaves to either side. This one has a nice low-trajectory on connection, and the gusts travel further on a higher charge.

Aerial Attacks
Neutral
Robin extends her arms and does a single spin, assisted with wind. This is a miniature version of her recovery. You can chain multiples of this at low percentages if you are good at it.

Forward
A sword slash starting from overhead and a bit behind to the front, stopping about midway. Not to be confused with that of Marth's, which cover the full front and are fast enough to chain, so this one is not a good approach.

Back
Robin glances behind herself and points under-arm, with a fiery explosion erupting from her fingertip. This is comparable to Zelda's upper aerial in both might and precision, though has very different application.

Up
Robin clenches a fist above, creating a mass of multi-hitting electricity. Not great for damage and has no knockback, but it has high priority so it's good for fending off aerial attackers.

Down
Robin spreads her legs and punches directly below her, coming out fast but with limited range. If this connects the moment it comes out, it delivers a fierce meteor smash, engulfing the enemy in dark flames.

Normals
A
An advancing diagonal cut. The command can be issued again, to step and deliver another slash. This is a two-hitter that covers a bit of ground, though the second cut is too laggy to chase.

Forward Tilt
Robin's sword is engulfed in flame as she slashes forward, straight horizontally. It cuts high, so some of the cast can just duck it.

Up Tilt
Robin holds her books above her head and spreads it with both hands. The pages turn and create a gust of wind magic.

Down Tilt
Robin swipes her hand low (like you would swing your hand to get rid of water), creating a splash of electricity on the ground.

Dash Attack
Robin vanishes into a breeze while she dashes, coming to a halt a short distance ahead and hitting anyone on her path.

Throws
Not being the best close-quarters character, Robin has a rather wonky grab, restricted by her heavy attire. She holds the enemy from the collar.

Attack
Robin sends dark flames from her hand through who ever she is grabbing.

Forward
Robin delivers a bargain Falcon Punchfiery punch to the face of who ever she is holding.

Backwards
Robin steps forward while pulling the enemy back, cracking them on the back of the head with the spine of her tome.

Upwards
Robin throws them up and makes a gun with both hands, squints her eye and shoots a precise lightning strike at the hapless victim at a slight angle.

Downwards
Robin forces them to their knees and slams the tome shut on their face with both hands.

Taunts and Victory poses
Taunt 1
Robin pulls her hood over her head and looks at the camera, exposing nothing but glowing eyes before pulling it down again.

Taunt 2
Robin bows and chimes her trademark "Now that's strategy!"

Taunt 3
Robin opens her tome and flips a few pages, uttering a few possible lines such as:
Hm. Predictable.
Ah... Fascinating.
*Yawn*

Victory 1
Robins starts facing away from the camera, plants her sword in the ground and glances to the side before asking; "What am I?"

Victory 2
Robin sits there and reads from a book, completely oblivious to the camera

Victory 3
Robin throws her sword up and twirls before catching it, bringing the sword back to her side and uttering whatever lines that are still necessary. :b

Edit - If you don't mind some feedback, I feel like the OP could be a little bit more clean and concise. People who are unfamiliar with the character would have an easier time understanding her if you express the key details in as few words as possible.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I am still conflicted on Chrom or Robin. I want them both, but I do not want Ike to be replaced. Right now I am thinking

Marth
Ike
Chrom OR Robin

I support both Chrom and Robin. Both are awesome characters and Villager has proven customization is not a barrier for characters. I just hope Robin uses Swords and Magic. His/Her Final Smash should have something to do with Grima, because his/her struggle with the fell dragon is a major part of the plot.

Hong

The Strongest
Really, i am fine with

Marth
Lucina/Chrom (either, or, together)
Robin

Ike is my favourite lord, though being a middle-man in a rather large series with many lead characters, I wouldn't flinch if he was replaced.

Hong

The Strongest
Hm. They are of two very different breeds, though. If I were to design Isaac as a character, I always figured he would use Psynergy for utility and focus more on close-quarters, with elements of earth. Robin could technically use swords, though she is more often portrayed being a magic user during scenes and animation (except a few supports), plus it just lends to better gameplay. Isaac would be a pleasant surprise.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I have a moveset that is different from OP. Not better or worse, just something I had in mind. I find as a playable character she goes very under-appreciated, and has lots of potential for unexplored territory.

Mine is a ranged-focused fighter backed up by swordplay, like a certain Hylian. That said, she has a stark contrast in play style from other ranged characters and many of her own faults to offset her gifts. Robin holds a sword in one hand and tome in the other, and her hair style and colour varies based on colour chosen. Wearing such a heavy robe over a surcoat and armour adds quite a bit of weight, granting Robin an above-average weight class but holding back her mobility in air and on ground.

It should go without saying, but much like how Link's sword or shield disappear for some attacks, Robin is no different with her sword and tome.

Specials
B: Ignis
Robin holds out her tome and the pages begin to turn. When fully charged, the tome is shut and will begin to glow. Using Ignis again will deliver a two-handed horizontal sword strike, creating a cascade of blue fire and a shower of flower petals, with alright damage and knockback.

But this is not the main use of Ignis.

Ignis will also empower the next smash attack or special, expending the effect on contact. Any opponents struck by this attack will suffer additional damage and knockback, with a slash effect and a spread of flower petals. This special doesn't take very long to charge and its not powerful on its own, but the combo-effect packs a punch!

This is a charging move of the classic variety, so you can put it on hold with the shield button and resume at any time.

B Forward: Thunder
Launches a ball of spark that can be curved up or down, and bursts into electricity on contact. This is a staple zoning projectile that is good for racking up damage and working down shields, and can even get early KOs when paired with Ignis on recovering adversaries. Should not be confused with Din's Fire, as it cannot be manipulated or detonated on command, and multiple can be launched in succession.

B Up: Elwind
Robin spreads her arms and spirals upwards with a pillar of wind (which can be curved), doing a doward slice at the peak and on the way down. This is inspired by the "Light Spear" technique from the Tales of series. I hate Up Bs that are just recoveries, so I find this will make for a great out-of-shield option when the enemy is directly on-top of Robin.

Ignis is only applied on the sword part, and she grabs the ledge on the way up or down.

B Down: Arcfire
Robin extends her hand and a massive blast of flame erupts from her hand in a narrow cone. This is a passively-charging attack; it takes three seconds between uses (or else it is just a puff), and 12 for a full charge. It actually does good damage on full charge, but even with Ignis the knockback isn't spectacular, and it won't hit properly if the enemy is too close. It is something that is meant to be used frequently, but strategically.

Robin's sword hand burns with fire when the move is fully charged. A prepped Arcfire has about 1/4th the length of FD, while a full charge extends about 1/3rd.

Final Smash: Calamity
Robin begins to radiate a dark aura, hunching over a bit and covering her face to conceal an anguished expression as Grima tries to wrest control of her mind, the fel dragon emerging in the background. He smashes the stage with both fists, causing spikes to erupt on both the surface and sides (so you can't just ledge-hog), dealing significant damage and having excellent (but not guaranteed) KO power. If you are prepared and in the air and weave between the spikes, you might be able to air dodge it, but the spikes come out a bit staggered so it's very difficult to avoid on smaller stages. The dark aura leaves Robin and she shakes her head, regaining control of herself.

Smash Attacks
Forward
A two-part attack beginning with a mighty sword thrust. On connection, lightning strikes the enemy from above (like Lightning Thrust, Tales of-inspired again) and they are blasted away.

Up
Robin raises her fist upwards, engulfing herself with a pillar of flame, hitting nearby foes and directly above. Video game logic and the rule of cool protects her from self-damage, of course. :b

Down
Robin punches the ground, sending two wind gusts/shockwaves to either side. This one has a nice low-trajectory on connection, and the gusts travel further on a higher charge.

Aerial Attacks
Neutral
Robin extends her arms and does a single spin, assisted with wind. This is a miniature version of her recovery. You can chain multiples of this at low percentages if you are good at it.

Forward
A sword slash starting from overhead and a bit behind to the front, stopping about midway. Not to be confused with that of Marth's, which cover the full front and are fast enough to chain, so this one is not a good approach.

Back
Robin glances behind herself and points under-arm, with a fiery explosion erupting from her fingertip. This is comparable to Zelda's upper aerial in both might and precision, though has very different application.

Up
Robin clenches a fist above, creating a mass of multi-hitting electricity. Not great for damage and has no knockback, but it has high priority so it's good for fending off aerial attackers.

Down
Robin spreads her legs and punches directly below her, coming out fast but with limited range. If this connects the moment it comes out, it delivers a fierce meteor smash, engulfing the enemy in dark flames.

Normals
A
An advancing diagonal cut. The command can be issued again, to step and deliver another slash. This is a two-hitter that covers a bit of ground, though the second cut is too laggy to chase.

Forward Tilt
Robin's sword is engulfed in flame as she slashes forward, straight horizontally. It cuts high, so some of the cast can just duck it.

Up Tilt
Robin holds her books above her head and spreads it with both hands. The pages turn and create a gust of wind magic.

Down Tilt
Robin swipes her hand low (like you would swing your hand to get rid of water), creating a splash of electricity on the ground.

Dash Attack
Robin vanishes into a breeze while she dashes, coming to a halt a short distance ahead and hitting anyone on her path.

Throws
Not being the best close-quarters character, Robin has a rather wonky grab, restricted by her heavy attire. She holds the enemy from the collar.

Attack
Robin sends dark flames from her hand through who ever she is grabbing.

Forward
Robin delivers a bargain Falcon Punchfiery punch to the face of who ever she is holding.

Backwards
Robin steps forward while pulling the enemy back, cracking them on the back of the head with the spine of her tome.

Upwards
Robin throws them up and makes a gun with both hands, squints her eye and shoots a precise lightning strike at the hapless victim at a slight angle.

Downwards
Robin forces them to their knees and slams the tome shut on their face with both hands.

Taunts and Victory poses
Taunt 1
Robin pulls her hood over her head and looks at the camera, exposing nothing but glowing eyes before pulling it down again.

Taunt 2
Robin bows and chimes her trademark "Now that's strategy!"

Taunt 3
Robin opens her tome and flips a few pages, uttering a few possible lines such as:
Hm. Predictable.
Ah... Fascinating.
*Yawn*

Victory 1
Robins starts facing away from the camera, plants her sword in the ground and glances to the side before asking; "What am I?"

Victory 2
Robin sits there and reads from a book, completely oblivious to the camera

Victory 3
Robin throws her sword up and twirls before catching it, bringing the sword back to her side and uttering whatever lines that are still necessary. :b

Edit - If you don't mind some feedback, I feel like the OP could be a little bit more clean and concise. People who are unfamiliar with the character would have an easier time understanding her if you express the key details in as few words as possible.
Very nice moveset. I like that you went further than I did and even added normals, aerials and victory poses.

Anyways, I've been gone for most of the summer and just got back from a week long trip. I haven't looked over the first post in a while and I agree it could use some touching up. I'll be reworking soon.
Thank you very much.
Also I'm adding your moveset to the OP. ;P

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Definitely my most wanted Fire Emblem rep, and the fact Sakurai chose Villager over Tom Nook gives me hope he'll choose the actual player's character of Awakening over Chrom.

Hong

The Strongest
Very nice moveset. I like that you went further than I did and even added normals, aerials and victory poses.

Anyways, I've been gone for most of the summer and just got back from a week long trip. I haven't looked over the first post in a while and I agree it could use some touching up. I'll be reworking soon.
Thank you very much.
Good thing you showed up. If you didn't, in a few weeks I was planning on asking a moderator if I could hijack your thread. :b

For what it's worth, I also recently stood to defend the validity of Robin and Lucina in Chrom's thread. You are more than welcome to use my words or perspective to form your own ideas and statements if you wish.

Please do. ^~^ I am very passionate about my support for Robin and I think she has a lot to offer, so if there is any way I can help, I am all in.
Definitely my most wanted Fire Emblem rep, and the fact Sakurai chose Villager over Tom Nook gives me hope he'll choose the actual player's character of Awakening over Chrom.
I agree that being a customizable character doesn't discredit a possible roster addition, i don't see how Robin should be competing with Chrom. He is very different in role and abilities compared to other lead characters. The merit in a character is not only their symbolism, but also what they have to offer as a playable character.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I made some edits but I'm still a bit short on time. If there's any more specific suggests (or broad, i guess) post em here and I'll get to them.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Guess who is now a supporter of Robin/Tactician. :)

I have set my mind that THIS is the essential Fire Emblem rep for SSB4.

I've been around, reading about other characters' descriptions, movesets, etc...

But it all feels like they're being added "Just because", i.e., flavor of the month.

Tactician, on the other hand... I feel it has a lot of potential.
For starters, I believe Tactician, in this case Robin, would represent the Tactical aspect of F.E.
And through HIM, he could summon famous Fire Emblem lords to fight under his command.

So first... no need to feel bad about a certain Fire Emblem character not getting in, if he can be in under Robin's moveset.

All Fire Emblem characters have one or two attack animations... This works perfectly in Robin's favor because he could USE these characters, each with their own animation, to attack for him.

This is still in the rough.... but here's an example I brewed:

B: Magic attack (replace with a Mage-type Lord, such as Micaiah)
B>: Axe throw (replace with an Axer-type Lord, such as Hector)
BV: Lance counter (replace with a Knight-type Lord, who will block a hit, and return with a lance thrust)
B^: Spear thrust (replace with a Pegasus-Knight Lord/Lady, and it works kind of like Shuttle Loop to recover)

And this would be just for special.
I'm not sure if there are enough Unit types to complete a whole moveset for Robin, but if there aren't, he could use all available weapons? Though there are still a few others like:

Rapier
(Broad)Sword
Close ranged axer
Javelin thrower
Fire/Thunder/Lightning/Dark/ magic
Heal magic
Horseback riding + weapon (usually sword or lance)

The idea would be that Robin/Tactician would deploy units for attack animations. They wouldn't be characters per se, but an attack from an opponent would cancel them out, just like if two attacks between characters clashed normally.

FINAL SMASH: A bunch of ideas:

Upper Hand: The terrain changes to something that gradually and artificially weakens the opponent so you take them out with a single blow.

Deploy all units: All "unit" attacks happen at the same time, racking up quite a lot of damage. (This would take a lot of performance from the 3DS so I think it wouldn't be that great)

Sorry for the huge wall of text, I wish I could be better at summirizing my thoughts.. :(

EDIT:
To sum up how this character would play... Think of Marvel VS Capcom 2/3 assist characters, for his Specials.
Still unsure of his regular attacks, though... But I guess it could be other Units attacking quickly and disappearing even quicker.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Guess who is now a supporter of Robin/Tactician. :)

I have set my mind that THIS is the essential Fire Emblem rep for SSB4.

I've been around, reading about other characters' descriptions, movesets, etc...

But it all feels like they're being added "Just because", i.e., flavor of the month.

Tactician, on the other hand... I feel it has a lot of potential.
For starters, I believe Tactician, in this case Robin, would represent the Tactical aspect of F.E.
And through HIM, he could summon famous Fire Emblem lords to fight under his command.

So first... no need to feel bad about a certain Fire Emblem character not getting in, if he can be in under Robin's moveset.

All Fire Emblem characters have one or two attack animations... This works perfectly in Robin's favor because he could USE these characters, each with their own animation, to attack for him.

This is still in the rough.... but here's an example I brewed:

B: Magic attack (replace with a Mage-type Lord, such as Micaiah)
B>: Axe throw (replace with an Axer-type Lord, such as Hector)
BV: Lance counter (replace with a Knight-type Lord, who will block a hit, and return with a lance thrust)
B^: Spear thrust (replace with a Pegasus-Knight Lord/Lady, and it works kind of like Shuttle Loop to recover)

And this would be just for special.
I'm not sure if there are enough Unit types to complete a whole moveset for Robin, but if there aren't, he could use all available weapons? Though there are still a few others like:

Rapier
(Broad)Sword
Close ranged axer
Javelin thrower
Fire/Thunder/Lightning/Dark/ magic
Heal magic
Horseback riding + weapon (usually sword or lance)

The idea would be that Robin/Tactician would deploy units for attack animations. They wouldn't be characters per se, but an attack from an opponent would cancel them out, just like if two attacks between characters clashed normally.

FINAL SMASH: A bunch of ideas:

Upper Hand: The terrain changes to something that gradually and artificially weakens the opponent so you take them out with a single blow.

Deploy all units: All "unit" attacks happen at the same time, racking up quite a lot of damage. (This would take a lot of performance from the 3DS so I think it wouldn't be that great)

Sorry for the huge wall of text, I wish I could be better at summirizing my thoughts.. :(

Going by your idea, the final smash could be the Pegasus Triangle attack, or one of the really powerful spells from the series (Like Luna, Excalibur, etc.)

Hong

The Strongest
That is a pretty awesome idea, shinhed-echi. There are so many ways you can make Robin into a character like nothing else we have seen before. Your idea represents the franchise very well in general. I like that.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I like the idea shinhed-echi, although I would prefer if the Tactician just stuck to one game (namely Awakening).
The character specials could be summoned by a warp spell, while the default attacks could use both the sword and magic.
My picks would be:
Neutral: Fire magic: Miriel warps and uses wind magic as a projectile.
Side: Axe Attack: The Valke appears and throws a hand axe with an arc.
Up: Lance Attack: Sumia appears out of nowhere and Robin gets on her pegasus along with her to use as a recovery.
Down: Dark Magic: Henry does a Flux spell.

Smash attacks:
Up: Manakete Attack: Tiki fire blasts up.
Forward: Knight strike: Frederick does a lance strike.
Down: Double Kick: Panne unleashes a double kick low on both sides of Robin

Final Smash: New Name: Grandmaster
I originally made this for Chrom but it actually works better for Robin:
Starts with all the horse riding units attacking at once (Sully, Frederick, and Stahl) along with Panne.
And then the flyers (Cherche, Sumia, Cordelia) , (bonus, it's a triangle attack)
Then the mages (Miriel, Ricken, Henry, and Tharja) (Lissa and Maribelle appear but just assist the others)
Then swords, axe, bow, and lance users (Lonqu, Gaius, Vaike, Donnel, Virion)
And finally Tiki and Nowi appear for the final knock out blow.
Kellam appears Behring Tiki and Nowi, ready to strike. He's revealed after they transform back. Then the move ends.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
While that sounds awesome, I really really doubt they'll animate all the Awakening characters, even just for normal attacks. It just sounds like a lot of work.

Given that you change classes in Awakening, it'd be more natural if the Tactician just pulled out those weapons.

Hong

The Strongest
I finally decided how Robin should be represented in Super Smash Bros.

No no! Don't worry! I have already submit this art to Sakurai-san for his art team to begin rendering. No need to thank me. Just doing my part.

Hong

The Strongest
<--- Tactician represent!

It's actually Morgan. Robin is in the background.

Robin: Did my daughter really grow up to be this cute!?
I wish Robin had more support around here, though I can't blame the community. Initially I also didn't see any potential in the character until I spent more time analyzing what kind of potential play styles are lacking.

Top Bottom