• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Uh-oh... I love Marth, and it's not impossible Robin gets in as maybe a secret character but... Marth's reveal and use of the Fire Emblem Awakening promotion lowers Robin's chances a bit...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Uh-oh... I love Marth, and it's not impossible Robin gets in as maybe a secret character but... Marth's reveal and use of the Fire Emblem Awakening promotion lowers Robin's chances a bit...
If you're following that logic, then Ike and Roy are the only contenders. I hope that's not the case, since I'd rather have Robin than any other FE character, but I can't deny that it's a possibility.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
If you're following that logic, then Ike and Roy are the only contenders. I hope that's not the case, since I'd rather have Robin than any other FE character, but I can't deny that it's a possibility.
Well Ike doesn't make a lot of sense because why would they just switch Ike and Marth's spots from the last game? Now Ikes the secret and Marths the starter? Nah...
Roy is a little more plausible being hes never been a starter and is kind of a fan favorite. But still...
I dunno, I think the roster cuts are becoming apparent - Marth might very well be the only Fire Emblem character we get. Maybe with a Roy, or even Lucina or Chrom alternate costume.

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
Well Ike doesn't make a lot of sense because why would they just switch Ike and Marth's spots from the last game? Now Ikes the secret and Marths the starter? Nah...
Roy is a little more plausible being hes never been a starter and is kind of a fan favorite. But still...
I dunno, I think the roster cuts are becoming apparent - Marth might very well be the only Fire Emblem character we get. Maybe with a Roy, or even Lucina or Chrom alternate costume.
How are the roster cuts becoming apparent? We don't have nearly enough info on the game yet.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This was said in the FE thread but the Japanese version of Marth's page promotes the Japan only FE12. So the FE13 promotion internationally is just Sakurai being a good company man.

Olekidsf

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2552-2900-3603
He's really the only FE character with a decent chance of getting in that I'd be really interested in seeing, so I'd like to be added to the supporters list.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I don't think Marth's promotion of FE13 affects anyone's chances. Nintendo just likes to advertise things, what with them being a company and all. It's kinda their shtick. And what else is Marth gonna advertise outside of Japan? Also, I'd like to be added to the supporters list, if you don't mind.

Rouge

Smash Journeyman
I don't particularly love the idea of Robin making the cast, because s/he is not exactly my favorite FE character ever, but I really think that s/he has the best shot to be our FE newcomer. Their RTC rating is way too low.

Awakening is absolutely getting a character in SSB4, I have no doubt. Sakurai has always been a big fan and promoter of the Fire Emblem franchise, God bless him, and Awakening is basically the rebirth of it. Had FE:A not fared well commercially, Fire Emblem was basically dead in the water. It was a big success on every level, there is no way that Sakurai won't contribute to this wave.

It won't have two characters though, we've had single game characters like Ness, Lucas, Roy (excluding small cameos), but two characters from a single game would be unheard of. I also think that FE will have three characters, no more. Let's not kid ourselves. So we have Marth, an Awakening character and probably Ike (but let's not debate Ike).

I think most people have this in mind, so the general idea is that the face of Awakening, Chrom, will represent it. But I think we need to think outside the box on this one, because Sakurai doesn't always do the obvious thing, especially when he can think of a great unexpected alternative (like Pokemon Trainer).

An argument that was often used in this thread in favor of Robin's inclusion is that s/he can use magic which would differentiate them from the usual FE character, but I don't necessarily agree. For one, it's much easier for devs to create a character that is similar to already established characters, but it's also worth saying that Chrom can use lances which could diversify his moveset sufficiently.

However, I still feel like Robin has the edge here. The general problem with Fire Emblem representation is that it's the most cyclical franchise in Smash. Like Pokemon, it has its mascot that is not necessarily relevant in most games (Pikachu/Marth) and then a bunch of characters that have one or two games in the spotlight and then fade out. The same will likely happen to Chrom. Sakurai had a great idea in Brawl though, Pokemon Trainer. Sure, he looks like Red and has his starter pokemons, but in the grand scheme of things, he represents the whole franchise since you'll usually control an unnamed trainer. Well, Fire Emblem is similar. In a bunch of game, you'll have a playable or NPC tactician whose name is up to you. I'm not too familiar with the Japan only games, but in FE7 you ARE the game's tactician. You play him/her first-person during dialogues. I don't think there is one in FE8, but that game is usually forgotten. :/ In PoR and RD, your tactician is Soren, one of the main characters. Then you have Robin "My Unit", one of Awakening's protagonists and a central part of the story. What connects them all is that their game ending usually states that few remember them, making them unsung heroes of war, which essentially means that the player is one of the few to know their glorious tales. Interestingly, when you play the Lyn DLC chapter in Awakening, she will be convinced that your unit is the same tactician as in FE7.

Robin is obviously the best fit for this role since s/he's the most recognizable tactician as a character and as a fighter, but if my line of logic is correct, the character would probably be called "Tactician" à la Pokémon Trainer.

Obviously, nothing is sure. Chrom is still a strong contender, but I think that Tactician would be a better flag-bearer for the franchise as a whole and my gut tells me that Sakurai will have the same idea.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Robin is by far my most wanted newcomer, and for many reasons stated in this thread. I'll just number them off for now, and post the arguements I have for each one later. :p

1. Possible 1/2 female rep (ala Wii Fit Trainer)
2. Unique moveset that represents Fire Emblem well(Not Just Swordz)
3. Extremely Important in FE:Awakening, rivalling Chrom

Also, as a small side note, I heard the developers have Robin as their favorite FE:A character, as Ike was preBrawl with PoR and Roy(who I'd like to return, but 4 FE characters assuming Ike stays is a pipe dream, still possible though) preMelee...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Is it weird that whenever I hear Robin's "time to tip the scales" quote I think of tipping as in leaving money tips? :facepalm:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It may be foolish, but I am officially hopeful for Robin.

I have a good feeling about Robin. Just swapped him/her into my signature to show support.

I remember initially people thought you were crazy for considering anyone other than Chrom, but now I see some are coming around to the idea.

Since the tactian technically exists in every fire emblem game (as in you the player) I could definitely see that as the kind of thing Sakurai might latch on to. The tactians prominence in Awakening might just be the push needed. Particularly if "My Unit" is going to continue being a thing in future games in the series.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
In my mind, Robin has to compete against Anna, who overall is more important and recurrent, and has a unique moveset.

More important than the character that plans the battle strategies of the main characters in every Fire Emblem game?

I would argue that Robin is representative of the driving force behind every Fire Emblem game (you the player) so while Robin isn't significant because of their role in the storyline of Awakening I would say he/she is hugely significant in what they represent and mean to the franchise. It's putting a face on the player.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
In all honesty, I think Robin has more of a chance than Chrom and Lucina at this point. With each newcomer we've seen we've seen a unique moveset that hasn't been seen before in Smash. And by including Rosalina for her uniqueness over other Mario characters who we thought would get in first, it shows that Sakurai perhaps cares more about how a character can provide something new than including the most popular characters (though he does both). In this case, a lot of people take issue with Chrom because they think he would just be a clone of Marth the same way Roy was (though that the fault of last-minute additions), which is simply not true (for Lucina, however, probably). However, Robin is more important to the series overall due to an Avartar/Tactician appearing in several different FE games, and while Chrom can use Lances and Axes in the game and could in Smash, Robin can use magic - which is something that is grossly underrepresented in Smash, with Zelda being the only true magic-wielder. And, with her/she being able to wield a sword as well, we would have the possibility of a very unique style of gameplay - which is exactly what Sakurai is looking for. He said in an interview that there might not be as many newcomers this time around because he wanted to focus more on polishing the veterans, as well as polish the newcomers that he does add, and so far each newcomer looks really varied and distinct and each provides something vastly new for the game, which Robin has the vast potential to do. And as Sabrewulf said above this, Robin represents an avatar of the player themself, so they mean much more to the Fire Emblem series as a whole, perhaps even moreso than Marth, and definitely moreso than Anna considering she's been in almost every game but has only been playable in Awakening so far, whereas an Avatar/Tactician has been playable in several games and generally has a far more significant role in said games.

On a different note: If Robin gets in, obviously they'd have the guy and girl versions like with Wii Fit Trainer (and expected Villager as well). What I wonder, however, is which will it be the guy or the girl who is the default and the other the alt? I'd be more inclined to think it would be Female Robin, since most of the promotion I've seen for Awakening tends to place the female in the spotlight over the male, plus while they'd have both, including the female as the default would technically provide a female representative for Fire Emblem.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
After the Rosalina reveal I definitely consider Robin/Tactician/Avatar to have a higher chance than Chrom. There's just something more obviously unique about the Avatar compared to Chrom, and it's easier to really make the character stand out. Not to mention that Bowser Jr and Toad were both more popular than Rosalina, but were both outdone by her, the same way that Chrom is more popular than Avatar. It seems that uniqueness is the key this time around. Plus, it has really helped that Villager opened the way into avatar characters being playable, though we've of course known that for quite some time. So yeah, overall I just agree with Inawordyes.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
On a different note: If Robin gets in, obviously they'd have the guy and girl versions like with Wii Fit Trainer (and expected Villager as well). What I wonder, however, is which will it be the guy or the girl who is the default and the other the alt? I'd be more inclined to think it would be Female Robin, since most of the promotion I've seen for Awakening tends to place the female in the spotlight over the male, plus while they'd have both, including the female as the default would technically provide a female representative for Fire Emblem.
I hope they go with female Robin as the default, only because the roster is a complete sausagefest. And here's a chance for a character who has plenty of reasons for entry regardless of gender. It only makes sense to choose the female, if only to help the roster be a tiny bit more balanced.

On a side note, I know it's really, incredibly unlikely, but I really wanna see Morgan as an AT. Partly for the awesome mother/son or father/daughter team up if Robin is in, but mainly because female Morgan provides my favorite quote in all of Fire Emblem.

"With abs like these, victory is ab-solutely certain!"

Morgan is the best.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Oh man, what if was Morgan instead of Robin.
That would totally throw off our predictions. :troll:
XD I'd take Morgan over Robin if I had the choice. Same abilities, but way more personality.

Scratch that, not the same abilities. Morgan is way more OP.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I like this idea. As the OP said, I think Robin could bring something new to the table. Otherwise we're probably going to be stuck with Marth and a slower, stronger swordsman (eg. Ike) forever. Though at this point, I'm willing to shout "CHROM UNOFFICIALlY CONFIRMED FOR SSB4!" at any given opportunity and I expect him to be that slower, stronger counterpart to Marth. Still, thumbs up from me.

Stupid opinion-based nitpicks; I found Robin's personality to be rather empty. I know that was intentional since (s)he represents the player but whatever. Also no hood please. Looks too much like they're from Assassin'a Creed. :p

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see many people have high hopes for Robin. I myself have my finger's crossed. We'll just have to wait and see.
Stupid opinion-based nitpicks; I found Robin's personality to be rather empty. I know that was intentional since (s)he represents the player but whatever. Also no hood please. Looks too much like they're from Assassin'a Creed. :p
I wouldn't say Robin's personality is empty. People often like to consider some character lacking personality when their personality doesn't come off as wildly obscure.
here of most of the male supports
http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Male_Avatar/Supports
Aversa, Brady, Morgan, and Priam are some good examples.
FE characters often take one trait and stick with it. Robins no different. He/She is level-headed and typically thinks of the army as a whole. Basically embodying how a tactician would be expected to act like.
The definitive personality makes it sorta weird that the character is an Avatar but I'm not going to judge.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
That's why in my opinion, they are rather empty. In Fire Emblem a character has one main personality, but several little other important things the player learns that set themselves apart and prevent them from becoming a walking stereotype and are thusly more like an actual person. Robin doesn't have that. He/she is clever and seems to be one of those people who "always knows the right thing to say" when someone's feelings are involved. But that's it. And again, I know this was intentional. I mean, Robin has amnesia and is *spoliers*, so one shouldn't be able to learn much about them anyway, or it would mess with the main plot.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
There is an inverse relationship between the importance of Fire Emblem characters and their amount of personality. Like Chrom and Robin? Super important. Super boring. Validar? Incredibly important, and is basically every villainous cliche thrown into a blender. Lucina? Slightly less important, and slightly more personality. Then you've got someone like Inigo, who you could easily go the entire game without meeting, and he's got personality. While he may seem like just a happy-go-lucky flirt at first, he gets more of a personality in his conversations with his father. Like Rascal was saying, he gets one stereotype, but gets it fleshed out as you go through his supports.

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
If Robin were to get in, would you rather have them stick with their default combat of magic? or embrace Awakening's ability to switch classes? The latter would make attribute more to the idea of uniqueness most definitely :)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
If Robin were to get in, would you rather have them stick with their default combat of magic? or embrace Awakening's ability to switch classes? The latter would make attribute more to the idea of uniqueness most definitely :)

Well, the best thing about the Avatar is that his base class use swords and magic. So even if they don't allow him to use any other classes he'll be still be unique.

Late to the party on this one: Since Wii Fit Trainer can be either sex (And, presumably, the Villager can be as well) I'm feeling pretty good about the Avatar's chances. Though, I know it literally means nothing, it makes me feel good. And, also, if it does happen the Avatar can at least be represented in a way that will make everyone happy: both sexes.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I'd like to see them dual wield a sword and tome. Maybe they could have something like the pokemon trainer in that they can switch between a sword and magic moveset at will.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So Zelda reveal and Rosalina, do they help or hurt our tactician in any way?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nothing has absolutely changed in regards to the Tactician. Robin/The Tactician is still the most likely FE newcomer.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So Zelda reveal and Rosalina, do they help or hurt our tactician in any way?

In what way would they ever affect anything other than their own franchises?

For one thing, Zelda was expected to return.....so nothing has changed between yesterday and today in that regard.

Top Bottom