• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
I have faith in the Bandai Namco team.

Robin will be slow, but I don't think she'll be so slow that Arcfire will offer no opportunities, even on hit.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So I'm playing through Awakening during a Hard/Casual (I know, I should be ashamed for not playing classic but screw it) run, when suddenly I just got bored leveling up a bunch of units. Thus beginning at the midmire chapter I decided to see firsthand how utterly broken Robin is.

I cleared the rest of the main game (aka no paralogue chapters) with him alone.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So I'm playing through Awakening during a Hard/Casual (I know, I should be ashamed for not playing classic but screw it) run, when suddenly I just got bored leveling up a bunch of units. Thus beginning at the midmire chapter I decided to see firsthand how utterly broken Robin is.

I cleared the rest of the main game (aka no paralogue chapters) with him alone.
Huh. You've actually given me some incentive to complete my second playthrough (with male Robin). I got tired of playing Awakening after some time because of all the grinding. Whenever I'm given that option to do that in an RPG, I always end up doing it even if I don't need to.

I've been thinking about doing just that in PoR with Ike.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Huh. You've actually given me some incentive to complete my second playthrough (with male Robin). I got tired of playing Awakening after some time because of all the grinding. Whenever I'm given that option to do that in an RPG, I always end up doing it even if I don't need to.

I've been thinking about doing just that in PoR with Ike.
Eventually I'm going to attempt this with Ike. I mean, its incredibly possible to do so, and in many cases, far EASIER to do than just playing the game normally. Both Ike and Robin are extremely broken.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wait, what? What's the theory about Robin/Morgan being Marc? o_O
Play the DLC chapter featuring Lyn and Lyn will believe that Robin is actually Mark, where she asks if Robin ever remembered Awakening in different times and places suddenly and mysteriously. You have the option of saying Yes or No, but either way Lyn fully believes Robin is Mark regardless of what you say.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Note that Morgan is named Mark is Japan, as an homage to the Tactician of FE7. That's where the theory comes from.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Play the DLC chapter featuring Lyn and Lyn will believe that Robin is actually Mark, where she asks if Robin ever remembered Awakening in different times and places suddenly and mysteriously. You have the option of saying Yes or No, but either way Lyn fully believes Robin is Mark regardless of what you say.
That's pretty interesting. For a while, I thought female!Robin was the canon gender because her son (named Mark) would become the tactician of FE7.

In a sense, I think the out-of-universe explanation for this is because the game assumes you played FE7, and thus Lyn remembers you for that.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well, here it is. please bear in mind i don_'t get to speak english often, and my editing program didn'T seem to have the ability to provide timestaps so i needed to edit one in... the box couldn't be made smaller. Since i usually only use it to render videos anyways, and not so much edit them, it always has been fine, however this time i wished i had something more powerful regarding options at my disposal.

Also, please keep in mind all of those things are subject to change, as Hong already mentioned.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Good point! I guess, technically, if we're supposed to be Robin/Mark... it would make sense that the two are one in the same.

They're us!

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Well, here it is. please bear in mind i don_'t get to speak english often, and my editing program didn'T seem to have the ability to provide timestaps so i needed to edit one in... the box couldn't be made smaller. Since i usually only use it to render videos anyways, and not so much edit them, it always has been fine, however this time i wished i had something more powerful regarding options at my disposal.

Also, please keep in mind all of those things are subject to change, as Hong already mentioned.
Your video is private. :)

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Your video is private. :)
Eh? I always have it public by default...i guess freaking youtube has changed sth again, lemme fix this.

Edit: jup, thought so, it makes me press "publish" every time manually now.. geez. Fix'd.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think that's actually the case, Robin is clearly a character in-universe.
A character representing the player and being an in-universe character aren't mutually exclusive. Robin is both things.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, here it is. please bear in mind i don_'t get to speak english often,
Nah. You're fine. :) Better English than mine. If people think my Engrish on the forum is bad, it's even worse when spoken.

But back to the subject, nice analysis video. Somewhere around 30+ frames is about fair. I'm more concerned about projectile speed, and the frames it takes to launch it, as opposed to the recovery frames. No doubt the latter bears import, but at this point we know it's not something we can throw out without caution. We have to use it either when Robin is at an advantage (such as when the opponent is recovering), or unpredictably. Something tells me it will at least be safe-on-block at a distance, but if we throw them out haphazardly the enemy will be able to read it and roll. As opposed to PK Fire, it doesn't seem suitable for the act of approaching, but rather will be a tool that opens up a window for approach in of itself.

All theory, of course. The footage from the trailer, if I were to hazard a guess, was recorded in Spring 2014, at the latest April. They have roughly 3-4 months to make changes, so if Arcfire would be deemed impractical, it's possible for the speed to receive adjustments.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Eventually I'm going to attempt this with Ike. I mean, its incredibly possible to do so, and in many cases, far EASIER to do than just playing the game normally. Both Ike and Robin are extremely broken.
Only the broken characters get into Smash.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Nah. You're fine. :) Better English than mine. If people think my Engrish on the forum is bad, it's even worse when spoken.

But back to the subject, nice analysis video. Somewhere around 30+ frames is about fair. I'm more concerned about projectile speed, and the frames it takes to launch it, as opposed to the recovery frames. No doubt the latter bears import, but at this point we know it's not something we can throw out without caution. We have to use it either when Robin is at an advantage (such as when the opponent is recovering), or unpredictably. Something tells me it will at least be safe-on-block at a distance, but if we throw them out haphazardly the enemy will be able to read it and roll. As opposed to PK Fire, it doesn't seem suitable for the act of approaching, but rather will be a tool that opens up a window for approach in of itself.

All theory, of course. The footage from the trailer, if I were to hazard a guess, was recorded in Spring 2014, at the latest April. They have roughly 3-4 months to make changes, so if Arcfire would be deemed impractical, it's possible for the speed to receive adjustments.
Jup. And it could always be that start-up - uhm, is there a term for the opposite of a meteor and/or spike? - has a really hard knockback giving it some additional use. I mean the "shockwave" effect looks pretty powerful.

Hong

The Strongest
Jup. And it could always be that start-up - uhm, is there a term for the opposite of a meteor and/or spike? - has a really hard knockback giving it some additional use. I mean the "shockwave" effect looks pretty powerful.
Not quite sure what you mean. The opposite of a spike is a vertical/upward launcher. Not sure if the fire will drag people to the depths on contact, but I think it will at least inhibit recovery a bit should it hit.

As far ledge play is concerned, I was thinking more along the lines of throwing it on the very tip of the stage when the opponent is recovering. In Smash 4, you have limited invincibility when recovering. Thus, having it there will force them to act, since if they decide to drop off the ledge and stall, next time they grab it they will get burned. In addition, it takes away a number of options for returning to the stage.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Not quite sure what you mean. The opposite of a spike is a vertical/upward launcher. Not sure if the fire will drag people to the depths on contact, but I think it will at least inhibit recovery a bit should it hit.

As far ledge play is concerned, I was thinking more along the lines of throwing it on the very tip of the stage when the opponent is recovering. In Smash 4, you have limited invincibility when recovering. Thus, having it there will force them to act, since if they decide to drop off the ledge and stall, next time they grab it they will get burned. In addition, it takes away a number of options for returning to the stage.
I meant something like jiggs hitting rest, just not as powerful.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty interesting. For a while, I thought female!Robin was the canon gender because her son (named Mark) would become the tactician of FE7.
Remember, you could change the gender of the FE7 Tactician as well. It actually affected dialogue from the characters, too.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Actually... any speculation/info on how Arcfire will act when shot near the edge (such that it goes off stage)?

Hong

The Strongest
Actually... any speculation/info on how Arcfire will act when shot near the edge (such that it goes off stage)?
I think it bursts on contact, no matter how far it goes. I could be wrong and it could vanish after a set travel time.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I may be really late on this, but I just realized that the Robin reveal trailer was Falcon vs. Falchion.

You win, Sakurai.

Hong

The Strongest
My, my. Look at all the species of bird that have flocked to the roster for this entry.

Better luck next time, Falco.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Come on guys, we're supposed to be aDOVE these dumb jokes.
Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,BIIIIIRD!

There, now we've got birds out of our system.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Only the broken characters get into Smash.
Well, to be fair, the majority of the characters featured in Smash are either the main character, or the main antagonist, and therefore HAVE to be powerful.
The only exceptions are a couple of the Pokemon, Captain Falcon (he's about as balanced as any other character in F-Zero), and ZSS.
Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,Bird,BIIIIIRD!

There, now we've got birds out of our system.
Have you heard the word?

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well, to be fair, the majority of the characters featured in Smash are either the main character, or the main antagonist, and therefore HAVE to be powerful.
The only exceptions are a couple of the Pokemon, Captain Falcon (he's about as balanced as any other character in F-Zero), and ZSS.

Have you heard the word?
DAMN IT!!! YOU BEAT ME TO IT!!!

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Would explain why Chrom didn't make it.
Well, I don't know about you, but after the trailer, Chrom made a pretty broken impression to me.

DAMNIT, I need that Sakurai emoticon. Seriously why are there like 10 Drifloons but no Sakurai?

Top Bottom