• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

D

Deleted member

I just noticed: Robin's holding the Thunder tome in that clip. Could his pummel also change depending on his current tome?
As @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan pointed out, it seems that Robin's pummel actually goes through all of her tome elements except for fire.

The purple coloration at the beginning represents her Dark Tome (Nosferatu), the Sparks represent her Thunder tomes, and the miniature Tornado represents her wind tome.

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Yes he does get hit, but when that happens he is already at the very tip of the flame, and this isn't the only occasion that shows arcfire.

You can see here that Shiek is slowly pushed out of the flame, so i guess the most likely thing to happen would be them getting send flying when they break free from it. It SHOULD give you more than enough time to run in and do a throw though. Or charge up to ArcThunder. Or get that Levin-Sword out for some smashin'.

Too bad there is nothing hinting at a floating mechanic like peach has it (only shorter/weaker)...it would explain how to rescue yourself when your ElWind charges run out. Also in the games airmagic also has that "flying" subeffect.
hmm... if by "flying subeffect" you mean wind magic is super effective against flying foes, yes. It does not let you fly though.

EDIT: I too hope Robin gets a float though!!

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I just noticed: Robin's holding the Thunder tome in that clip. Could his pummel also change depending on his current tome?
As pointed out by @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan

In the pummel you can see a lighting hit, dark hit, and wind hit, so it stands to reason that if he had done another pummel he would have done a fire hit. So it probably isn't affected by the tome.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If Kirby swallows Robin, will Kirby get breakable tomes too? I can't really imagine Kirby walking around carrying a book all the time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Kirby swallows Robin, will Kirby get breakable tomes too?
Historically Kirby has only gained the ability to use the Neutral B move of the character he swallows, so in a sense, yes, however the tome would be limited to the Thunder tome line only.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Historically Kirby has only gained the ability to use the Neutral B move of the character he swallows, so in a sense, yes, however the tome would be limited to the Thunder tome line only.
Ok, but is he going to carry it around constantly, as part of his "Robin hat"? Will Kirby have to learn to manage tomes as well? It seems like it's going to complicate the copy game some, as well as make for an interesting new image for Kirby when copying Robin (bookworm Kirby!).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I doubt Kirby's Thunder tome would be breakable.
In which case, would that change the balance game of Robin-Kirby, by letting him spam Thunder, and how would that have to be adjusted for?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It would probably be weakened some for Kirby.

Kinda like Olimar Kirby's Pikmin being worse the vanilla Olimar's.

Last edited:

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
I dunno if this was mentioned (didn't see it when reading through the comments) but it's confirmed that his tomes DO regenerate overtime.

---

But as it turns out, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai did actually mention that Robin's limited-use moves would regnerate over time, in the same issue of Famitsu; it was mentioned in a column he wrote for the magazine, separate from the 4-page spread.

Sakurai wrote in his Famitsu column, as translated by NeoGAF user Masked Men:

"I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time."

Sakurai also explains the rationale behind his decision in picking Robin and Lucina from Fire Emblem:Awakening to introduce into the new Smash Bros. instead of Chrom (who only appears during Robin's Final Smash attack).

"I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.

"At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

"Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

"In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games."

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Just noticed that the Robin general discussion thread is the largest confirmed character thread in the SSB4 subforum.

...Good job, everyone.
It's only because waifus are such a popular subject. :troll:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Came into the game thinking I'd only main one character (and still use others for fun), but now I'm torn by so many exciting chars, Robin among them. I just love the whole concept of using magic and swordsmanship for a character. It feels fresh, and his move-set has to be one of the most unique ones I've seen so far. As someone mentioned, both Robin and Rosalina look like they might have quite a challenging learning curve, but it makes them all the more interesting.

Really looking forward to seeing how Robin turns out (:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Another thought just crossed my mind : IF the last hit of the jab-combo really depends on the tome Robin is currently holding, what will ElWind do on the ground? Because i don't think using an attack that hits nobody and propels you into the air leaving you vulnerable is a good designchoice for switching to windtome...

I can see one of 3 things happening:

#1 Robin fires a cross-shaped ElWind in the direction he is facing. I'd say that is the most unlikely one: For one it would be another spell with good range, and also the other ground-activatable UP+B's (i mean those like the Up-B from Link, Donkey Kong, Bowser) all hit both directions which is why i considered

#2 Robin fires one ElWind in front and one behind him. But this STILL would be ranged (and i think it looks akward from an aesthetical standpoint), which is where my third idea comes in:

#3 Robin circles the two wind-blades from ElWind around him hitting people standing left/right beside him 1 time (or 1 time per blade for a total of 2).

Opinions?

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I dunno if this was mentioned (didn't see it when reading through the comments) but it's confirmed that his tomes DO regenerate overtime.

---

But as it turns out, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai did actually mention that Robin's limited-use moves would regnerate over time, in the same issue of Famitsu; it was mentioned in a column he wrote for the magazine, separate from the 4-page spread.

Sakurai wrote in his Famitsu column, as translated by NeoGAF user Masked Men:

"I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time."

Sakurai also explains the rationale behind his decision in picking Robin and Lucina from Fire Emblem:Awakening to introduce into the new Smash Bros. instead of Chrom (who only appears during Robin's Final Smash attack).

"I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.

"At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

"Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

"In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games."
Yeah, it has been brought up a couple of times and I believe I included a portion of it in the OP. No harm in reiterating though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just noticed that the Robin general discussion thread is the largest confirmed character thread in the SSB4 subforum.

...Good job, everyone.
Fortunately (yes), this won't last for long. Just you wait for Ridley's announcement...

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Another thought just crossed my mind : IF the last hit of the jab-combo really depends on the tome Robin is currently holding, what will ElWind do on the ground? Because i don't think using an attack that hits nobody and propels you into the air leaving you vulnerable is a good designchoice for switching to windtome...

I can see one of 3 things happening:

#1 Robin fires a cross-shaped ElWind in the direction he is facing. I'd say that is the most unlikely one: For one it would be another spell with good range, and also the other ground-activatable UP+B's (i mean those like the Up-B from Link, Donkey Kong, Bowser) all hit both directions which is why i considered

#2 Robin fires one ElWind in front and one behind him. But this STILL would be ranged (and i think it looks akward from an aesthetical standpoint), which is where my third idea comes in:

#3 Robin circles the two wind-blades from ElWind around him hitting people standing left/right beside him 1 time (or 1 time per blade for a total of 2).

Opinions?
I guess I was leaning towards option one or two, but I see what you are saying and think that option three does sound good!

My personal guess is option 1, I imagine it will be different enough from thunder because the wind blade will be much wider (i think its event taller than Robin?) and thus unavoidable with a short hop, or by ducking. It could maybe also have increased knock back against airborne opponents (just like elwind would have in the game)

Last edited:

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
I guess I was leaning towards option one or two, but I see what you are saying and think that option three does sound good!

My personal guess is option 1, I imagine it will be different enough from thunder because the wind blade will be much wider (i think its event taller than Robin?) and thus unavoidable with a short hop, or by ducking. It could maybe also have increased knock back against airborne opponents (just like elwind would have in the game)
I agree option one seems to make the most sense

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Fortunately (yes), this won't last for long. Just you wait for Ridley's announcement...
But in that case nobody would be able to make any posts because Smashboards will have crashed indefinitely.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
If that happens the sun will turn black along with the sky and smashboards will crash with logic going outta the window for every smash based fourm or thread from thenceforward.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I'm actually indifferent to Ridley's inclusion. If he gets in, fantastic. If not, it doesn't really matter to me.

All I know is, I want to see his fans happy. Because they'll be so noisy and ecstatic and I want that to spread like wildfire.:smirk:

Reila

I'm actually indifferent to Ridley's inclusion. If he gets in, fantastic. If not, it doesn't really matter to me.

All I know is, I want to see his fans happy. Because they'll be so noisy and ecstatic and I want that to spread like wildfire.:smirk:
Thanks for the support, I guess.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
On Villager vs. Arcfire: I'm pretty-really-very sure Villager naturally has armor when he's on the Loid Rocket, so that instance was because of Villager no selling the first couple hits rather than Arcfire not having flinch properties.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So there's been a some concern over whether Robin is wide open during Elwind.

Well...if you look at a couple points in the clip, there're a couple brief moments right as Robin summons the wind blades where the trail behind them covers him.

You can see it easier here.

It might just be a visual effect...or it might mean there are at least a couple points during the move where a hitbox covers Robin.

On Villager vs. Arcfire: I'm pretty-really-very sure Villager naturally has armor when he's on the Loid Rocket, so that instance was because of Villager no selling the first couple hits rather than Arcfire not having flinch properties.
Yeah, it looks like the Lloid Rocket gives him armor up to a certain point in the move. Maybe in-universe he tried to get over Arcfire with it and failed? >_>

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm thinking of compiling a list of confession quotes for each Smasher regarding Robin. I only made one so far (Ridley, who's only a potential candidate), but now I'm yearning to create more.

EDIT: Here's one so far:

Mario
"Yahoo! You've-a-made me the luckiest man in the whole world! Just think of all the adventures we can take together, as heroes!"

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
So there's been a some concern over whether Robin is wide open during Elwind.

Well...if you look at a couple points in the clip, there're a couple brief moments right as Robin summons the wind blades where the trail behind them covers him.

You can see it easier here.

It might just be a visual effect...or it might mean there are at least a couple points during the move where a hitbox covers Robin.

Yeah, it looks like the Lloid Rocket gives him armor up to a certain point in the move. Maybe in-universe he tried to get over Arcfire with it and failed? >_>
If you referred to my post, it was not generally being open during ElWind but ElWind leaving you relatively vulnerable to a variety of things while not hitting anything if it isn't different when being used on the ground. I simply meant that'd be a pretty bad requirement to go into the wind tome.

If you referred to another post, well... duh. Ignore this.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I doubt Kirby's Thunder tome would be breakable.
Well, maybe. Since Robin seems to have some properties of Project M Ivysaur (a grablike move that steals health and a powerful, piercing, long range charge beam) Robin's Kirby hat may get something like Ivy's. Kirby's Ivy hat gets limited uses, so maybe Kirby's Robin hat can too. Of course, these comparisons to PM Ivysaur are likely coincidental.

Or, perhaps, Kirby will only get the currently charged spell.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Well I guess the Project M Ivysaur players will like this.

Anyway I remember one of the scans said something about how this move gives Robin even more health if he uses the attack behind the opponent.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well I guess the Project M Ivysaur players will like this.

Anyway I remember one of the scans said something about how this move gives Robin even more health if he uses the attack behind the opponent.
Yes, that's a cool touch. I suppose that represents Dark Magic with a back stab. Evil and all that.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Well, maybe. Since Robin seems to have some properties of Project M Ivysaur (a grablike move that steals health and a powerful, piercing, long range charge beam) Robin's Kirby hat may get something like Ivy's. Kirby's Ivy hat gets limited uses, so maybe Kirby's Robin hat can too. Of course, these comparisons to PM Ivysaur are likely coincidental.

Nintendo didn't make PM, unfortunately. I think the better comparison is Olimar, myself, but you could be right.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
How many of you, if any, are planning on getting the 3DS version? Of those getting the 3DS version, are any of you going to be getting it on day 1?

Reila

How many of you, if any, are planning on getting the 3DS version? Of those getting the 3DS version, are any of you going to be getting it on day 1?
Me! I am getting solely the 3DS version actually and yes, possibly on day one.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I plan on pre-ordering the 3DS version next weekend.

I am going to ask for the Wii-U version for Christmas, the GC Adapter/Controller bundle to be exact.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Me! I will be buying day 1 and probably an Amiibo or two also if they are available.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
So much Blue.

Inb4 you can customize Robin's hair color.

6/6 for Blue haired Fire Emblem Reps.
(Because Chrom is still "sorta" in the game)

Wish they added Cordelia just so that you'd see that stupidly obvious contrast
Both Robins' natural hair colors are actually blue. They just bleached their hair. Big time.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I never even realised that Arcfire deals knockback. Maybe it can be combo'd out of after all. Either way, it looks like it'll be a very good move for halting approaches.

Stalwartguardian

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alarith
3DS FC
0963-0545-3127
I'm getting the 3DS version. If only the stores in my area stocked enough copies for me to actually get it on day 1. Who knows, maybe I'll pre-order, or maybe I'll get lucky.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'm thinking of compiling a list of confession quotes for each Smasher regarding Robin. I only made one so far (Ridley, who's only a potential candidate), but now I'm yearning to create more.

EDIT: Here's one so far:

Mario
"Yahoo! You've-a-made me the luckiest man in the whole world! Just think of all the adventures we can take together, as heroes!"
Link
"HYAH! ... SHAH...hyah..."
:troll:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727

I honestly think it'll just be a simple Thunder without being able to charge to Thoron. That might be too OP? Then again Kirby does get Samus' full charge shot so..

Top Bottom