• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you get slight nefts in a sea of severe nerfs, you're in good shape.

ROB has great mobility bursts in a patch that weakened other characters' mobility bursts. He also kept most of his good recovery. And his CC is good. And combos. And PJSalt

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Recoveries nerfed? ROB will dookie mcdooker everyone

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yoo, he's defs gonna do great with nerfed projectiles/other things for sure. My schedule's gonna be super free for tournies next semester so I'm gonna stomp some butt.

(also I posted in the skype group thingy, add me pls)

D

Deleted member

It's not even salt! I claimed rob was good the day 3.5 came out!

Seriously though, if your character was nearly unchanged from 3.02 to 3.5, they're probably top 10-15 excluding peach/jiggs/ics

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ICs got infinite tho

now we just have to wait four or five years for someone to consistently get it. no wait it'll get patched out by then god damn it

nimigoha

Smash Ace
ICs got infinite tho

now we just have to wait four or five years for someone to consistently get it. no wait it'll get patched out by then god damn it
I got it consistently on Bowser.

Different regrab timing on the whole cast, should be able to nail the other 40 by the time they patch it out right?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
not consistently as in the infinite, consistently as in being able to not rely on the grab, but still get the infinite constantly when you do

like people knew that ice climbers could infinite in brawl pretty quickly after it came out but it wasn't until folks like 9B came in where it started catching on hardcore, b/c 9B had an amazing ICs that just happened to also murder your face off every time he caught you messing up and punished with a grab

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
not consistently as in the infinite, consistently as in being able to not rely on the grab, but still get the infinite constantly when you do

like people knew that ice climbers could infinite in brawl pretty quickly after it came out but it wasn't until folks like 9B came in where it started catching on hardcore, b/c 9B had an amazing ICs that just happened to also murder your face off every time he caught you messing up and punished with a grab
Wobbles in Melee is the same story. He's not the best at wobbling. He's the best melee player who plays ICs, and he sets up for his infinite like a boss.

To paraphrase Mango, he's the best at swaggin' out and the best at wobbling.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
So what about the high tiers? If Melee top tiers, R.O.B., Wolf, and a couple others are top tier, what are the next in line? I'm vouching for Meta Knight. He's too godlike at edgeguarding to be ignored.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Wobbles in Melee is the same story. He's not the best at wobbling. He's the best melee player who plays ICs, and he sets up for his infinite like a boss.

To paraphrase Mango, he's the best at swaggin' out and the best at wobbling.
Wobbles is definetly the best at wobbling lol, one time on Axe's game cube he sat there in training mode and just wobbled, the IC's combo count is like 3000+. But yeah, completely agree with what you're saying

Edit: Realized now you probably meant "he's not just the best at wobbling"

The problem with IC's is that they still have barely a neutral game and just get separated too easily. I could see them winning vs the fatties and maybe sheik still, but honestly thats it

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Wobbles is definetly the best at wobbling lol, one time on Axe's game cube he sat there in training mode and just wobbled, the IC's combo count is like 3000+. But yeah, completely agree with what you're saying

The problem with IC's is that they still have barely a neutral game and just get separated too easily. I could see them winning vs the fatties and maybe sheik still, but honestly thats it
Frankly there are some characters whose design paradigms coming from their original games is just not going to work in a PM environment and need some serious re-tooling.

I feel like ICs and Olimar fall here. Jiggs too. They were designed with some very different goals in mind and their playstyles in the end may not end up translating well, to any kind of success. There are just too many well-designed characters with strong traits and focused gameplans for characters whose entire basis of success used to be "Capitalize on everyone else's ****tiness" to do well here.

Last edited:

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice

Wobbles, and all ICs, consider Tomber to be the most consistent at execution the wobble once he gets it. Wobbles is the best at setting it up.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I played Tomber a lot at EVO 2013 and he never dropped a wobble. Yes he wobbles in friendlies. I didn't mind lol.

ay but Melee ICs aren't relevant to PM tier lists imo.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Wait WTF ROB is top tier? Why didn't somebody tell me this earlier?!
It's almost like people's opinion of a character is directly related to the quality of their exposure to that character!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Naw I disagree. Even people that have never seen Marth played competitively in PM, understand that Marth is a low tier

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I kept insisting that Samus was amazing when the entirety of the Samus boards had their knickers in a twist over "ice mode sucks" and how being unable to SHFFMC meant Samus was terrible. Then a couple months later ESAM beats MD/VA. And then Armada.

This is happening again btw, the Samus boards are really f***ing dramatic.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile the Dorf boards are just cruise control for cool... :awesome:

(Probably because its hard not to take a long and cool view after maining that guy through Brawl...Plus he has too much swag to get upset.)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I kept insisting that Samus was amazing when the entirety of the Samus boards had their knickers in a twist over "ice mode sucks" and how being unable to SHFFMC meant Samus was terrible. Then a couple months later ESAM beats MD/VA. And then Armada.

This is happening again btw, the Samus boards are really f***ing dramatic.
every other 3.5 thread: "well, how does this character fair now?"

samus 3.5 thread, right on the same day the update came out: "DEATH OF A VIABLE SAMUS"

I rescind my opinion that zelda players are the worst, they don't hold a candle to samus players

Foo

Smash Lord
every other 3.5 thread: "well, how does this character fair now?"

samus 3.5 thread, right on the same day the update came out: "DEATH OF A VIABLE SAMUS"

I rescind my opinion that zelda players are the worst, they don't hold a candle to samus players
Samus players are funny. Some are like "this character is so bad, worst bad of badness."

The others are like "Samus is literally the best character in the game no question."

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

Thank god, their are people that realize iC don't have a solid neutral game. You walk over to iC PM boards right now... You will only get players who know nothing and the fraud, that try to make a believer out of you with no video evidence

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Zelda players are actually pretty cool now that 3.5 came out.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
When did this become the Character Forum Tier List thread?

I mean, if we want to talk shop, let me just say that the Samus forums are indeed bottom tier, Ganon forums are top tier, and I'm hearing that the Zelda forums are viable in 3.5.

So, uh, that's neat, I suppose.

D

Deleted member

The toonlink boards are kind of just like "ehh, what do we think of brawl nair? Iunno ****in we're tink mains or some **** lets throw things"

Vashimus

Smash Master
The Samus forums are so prone to incessant whining and trolling from fanboys, it's embarassing. Took one look on 3.0's release, haven't bothered going there since. Chevy is a cool guy, but he's honestly better than that to be sticking around there.

I feel like I could go back Peach now anyway now that recoveries are little easier to intercept and neutral isn't as daunting. I'm also convinced she actually beats Fox in this version now.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
But why in God's name would you switch away from the second best character in the game?
For precisely that reason. Buddies' salt have gotten old after only a week. Won't outright switch, but I can devote a lot more time on Peach now that she has an easier time, and I just like her.

I can also count on her not being changed much between balance patches besides making things match Melee better.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Thanks to your comments, I decided to peruse the Samus forums to see if it lived up the hype. I was dissapointed to see there were a plethora of rational individuals. However, the irrational ones were phenomenal. I mean oh my god. This guy makes a thread literally named "3.5 The Death of a Viable Samus" saying that, and I'm not joking, because of the new tether changes, Samus is no inviable because being off stage means a guaranteed death... Let that sink in for a moment.

#TetherPrivilege

After the boringly rational and calm people discuss Samus actually being pretty solid, this happens. Now, you'll think this is a strawman I am using to make fun of him, but this is, swear to god, a direct quote. One of his posts in it's glorious entirety.

"HEY EVERYONE HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT THE **** UP ABOUT WHY YOU THINK SAMUS IS GOOD AND INSTEAD DISCUSS THE MERIT OF WHY I BELIEVE SHE IS BROKEN NOW REGARDING USING THE TETHER BY ANY MEANS AGAINST A COMPETENT PLAYER... OF COURSE SHE ****ING HAS GOOD NEUTRAL AND NO THIS THREAD IS NOT LETS TALK ABOUT THE CHARACTER CHANGES IN THE UPDATE, I AM SAYING THERE IS A FUNDAMENTAL FLAW IN HER TETHER RECOVERY THAT MAKES IT NONVIABLE AS AN OPTION BECAUSE IT MEANS DEATH."

I'm not even 1/6 done reading the thread, this is going to be great.

Now, to pretend this post is on topic, I'm going make the SPECULATION that samus is top 5 on the TIER LIST. That is all.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
we're living in a metagame where having trouble with ROB might be a pretty big deal

3.5 is pretty damn amazing y'all

Top Bottom