• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I probably should have worded my statement about other characters having their own things better.

Honestly, Lucario has usually intuitive counterplay. He never shuts you down ala Falco lasers, although he does have down-b it is not as bad as Yoshi dj, and their is only one of him unlike ICs.

Grant it his down-b is a pain sometimes but IMO it isn't anywhere near as bad as other things in this game.

Yeah, Lucario looks like he has seizures when sheild pressuring/comboing but getting out Lucario shield pressure is not that hard. If you don't want to get combo'ed by him, play neutral better. Lucario's neutral doesn't neuter characters neutral by shooting lasers like Falco or the LRLR of the Falcon.

Edit: Life pretty much posted what I did lol.

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
lot of text incoming, i'm just having trouble going into further and further detail into the same thing again, and i'm already not good at explaining things like this, take it or leave it, i cannot trim this any harder, sorry

just to clarify, when i say something to the effect of "not smash", i mean that it doesn't fit within the already established rules or what you would expect a smash character to be able to do. the subjectivity of it isn't relevant imo, the fact that most of the cast follows these rules consistently makes ignoring those implicit rules just unproductive. you're right though, my rules arent the same as yours, but i have a ton of reasons to back up why they exist and shouldn't be ignored when designing a character or understanding why they do or don't fit the general conventions

***also animations are very important, i can go into that too cause it keeps being overlooked but i think it's self-explanatory and it's not being recognized for playing an important role in the game because it absolutely affects gameplay, although not "directly" i guess***

okay well i guess it's kind of a given that if you mentally remove yourself from the overt trends in how characters play then he would seem like any other pm matchup, yeah, but this seems like a band-aid over a broken arm kind of thing. unless you mean to suggest that people should/tend to unconsciously not notice how lucario is drastically different from literally everyone else in the cast, which i don't believe really happens. we look for patterns without knowing it, idk how you would repress that to compensate for a design anomaly like lucario

for your examples of other characters, those aren't really comparable to lucario at all (with the exception of yoshi dj armor, i agree with that a bit more and i have no idea how you would figure that out "intuitively"). inhale and thunder are both heavily implied to function the way that they do through their animations (and their character associations, though that doesn't come up all the time), and the thunderbolt in particular is a really blatant example of teaching both players what the move does in an intuitive way with a giant neon yellow lightning bolt flying out of the air from a dark cloud directly above where pikachu was while it screams and summons zeus. they also don't re-invent or grab something completely out of the ballpark with the moves as concepts either: inhale builds off of established grabs, and thunder builds off of established projectiles. lucario builds off almost nothing and bases his system on a completely different game and doesnt even copy it well

i also wanna point out also that you mentioning the "magic series" pre-supposes that someone who isn't familiar with something like that would know what that means. to someone who plays exclusively smash, cancelling moves into each other is just foreign, there isn't some, "oh, it must be the magic series" realization or anything

i dont wanna re-explain the detail for lucario's system, so instead i just want to again emphasize how much better traditional fighters use clear animation and hitstop to show how a move cancels into another in a way that lucario doesn't

as for anti-combo counter-play, yeah, he has to deal with sdi and di, but i'd just like to mention a specific moment in chat where sosa literally said, "you have to sdi away in differnt directions from him and pray" and "there's no real way to not take huge damage from lucario combos". maybe i'm being misled, but this doesn't sound like intuitive counterplay to me

edit: i want to clarify that i know the counterplay is there and that it's possible and etc etc etc but the point is that it's not intuitive in the way it is for the rest of the cast etc

also zach, still missing the point, i don't know how to explain this any harder so i think we should agree to disagree here

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Alright, you explained your stance very clearly, azarin.

I am pretty sure I understood your point the other times. What I was saying was that Lucario did not negate competitive Smash fundamentals in any way.

Lucario is not like Falco. Falco being a character that forces you to deal mainly with his one overwhelming option. (Falco's lasers) Not knowing how to deal with said character's options means you will probably lose miserably.

So in my opinion, Lucario is an ok design that I am fine with. Personally, I would never have made Lucario the way he is but still I'm fine with it.

Agreed to disagree, .alizarin .alizarin . We just have totally didn't ways to decide when acharacter well or poorly designed.

Zoa

Smash Ace
So two pages of reading was basically Lucario is unintuitive. Pretty productive, and I agree. My character is bonkers. Now I'm going to practice Lucario's sky walking.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
Magic series make sense in a game where everytime you win neutral, it's a free punish that you sit back and watch. But not in a game that has DI and the shield mechanics that Smash does. It's needlessly complicated to explain and understand. And this is coming from someone who played Strider/Doom in MvC2.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
Marth's neutral B can be charged by holding. DK's neutral B charges without holding. Both can be used at any time during the charge, but shield breaker can't be stored. Falcon Punch can't be charged, stored, or activated pre-emptively.

Every character has a double jump. Kirby and Jigglypuff have five (give or take, sue me) jumps. Peach can float.

Pikachu's attack ranges are fairly small, and his grab range is itty-bitty. Marth is longer-ranged by hitting you with his sword and grabbing by extending his arm.

Link and Young Link pull items that do the same thing every time with their Down B's. Peach pulls a variety of differently-behaving turnips and can pull items that include a long-range weapon, a shield-breaking item, and an explosive.

Ice Climbers are two characters at once, and Sheik and Zelda are two separate characters who need to use a move to transform.

The point I'm trying to make is that Smash has always played fast and loose with 'rules,' only keeping a very small amount of them consistent. Lucario working how he does is interesting, intuitive if you have the capacity to get a clue, and another character with unique properties. The counterplay to a character who will combo the **** out of you is don't let him touch you. I don't see how you could have a problem with both of these things at once. If you can't learn (about the magic series), you can't compete, and if you can learn, you can compete (outplay Lucario and don't get hit). Essentially, at two different levels of play, only one of these complaints can be relevant at a time.

Game and Watch is still bull**** though because nobody ever gets to act after Up+B.

Last edited:

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
oh my god i give up, my last response on this topic

-some moves can be charged, not all can be stored, some moves have long startup, i don't see the problem here, the concept builds on top of other character's specific chargeable moves, this is a poor example of variation if that was the attempt
-kirby has corresponding animations and sounds to express that his jumps are running out, puff's are more subtle and afaik has no sound on her jumps, but if you have common sense and reason that she can't have infinite jumps and just use your eyeballs to see when she has to land you can figure it out without consulting karate-jackal experts
-peach can float, yeah, but once she does it you can see her stick to a max-altitude when she does it and she's slow as hell, easily observable. you should've mentioned float-cancelling instead, that would've been a good example, but not one that i would defend in terms of conveying its function so meaningless to me either way
-what is this lol pikachu has smaller range than the dude with a sword and a full arm that he lunges with to grab, yeah, what possible point was this supposed to prove
-i have historically been not okay with peach's turnips, no arguments, but i will take this time to say that melee is not a flawless beacon of design either and i never said it was
-i will never defend ics
-the existence of the move is not predictable, but it takes 4 years to start up and you can clearly see that they're a new character. still not good design, but it doesnt violate it to the extent that lucario does

-those are bad examples and the few that are good examples of bad design i assume people would reason i wouldn't be referring to when i say "rules". i expect people to be able to recognize when some things are rules and some things aren't when they're something as blatant as random items being pulled out of the ground and that those aren't the ones i'm referring to when i talk about this, especially when i gave bullet points several times on what counts and what doesn't, the unintuitive design is not nearly as common as the intuitive so thinking that this is justifiable variation to the degree that it somehow makes enough leeway for lucario to exist as okay is just wrong
-"intuitive if you have the capacity to get a clue" is as vacuous a statement as you can get and if you think that lucario's system being very poorly lifted from a completely different game is the equivalent of other characters's differences in how they play, i cannot help you and nobody can
-don't let them touch you, cool, so we're just ignoring the problem by saying we should never encounter it, nice one
-oh good this again i answered this at least 4 times

good night, also is wolf uncomfortably good, second or third best imo, i guess potentially first in like a few years but i dont think so

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I only saw his set vs Switch, where he played ROB with what looked like a pocket DK on the side (or it could be the other way around? who even knows)

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Super off-topic, just a hypothetical game mechanic-related question:

How would Smash 4's bouncing mechanic when you meteor someone on-stage affect a smash game with PM / Melee mechanics? I guess you'd have to assume that it'd only work with meteors and spikes wouldn't trigger it which rendered my first train of thought (Falco's pillaring getting reduced to something like shine -> dair -> dj dair) pretty obsolete. Was just randomly wondering what consequences this mechanic would yield if it were in PM.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Depends if it keeps you in hitstun after the bounce, which sm4sh doesn't as far as I can see. Sounds like a terrible deal.
Also you usually don't get to land before Falco shines you again when pillaring, which is part of why it's so good. It'd probably give Falcon better combos and make Bowser's kk dthrow viable. Not that it's worth discussing.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
This is going to blow everyone's mind but...

Sometimes, people miss techs

And sometimes people even miss L-cancels

Shocking

Life

Smash Hero
Forcing missed techs has been a thing I've been working on in my punish game.

Not my Wolf punish game though. Been working on a Melee Fox for kicks.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I'm am entirely comfortable with wolf and MK being good. the more punishable fast fallers/semi fast fallers there are, the less frustrating the game is on average
wolf can make just about any matchup somewhat enjoyable tho. He's got discount pillars, discount air wobbles, and projectile knee with tons of throw set-ups on any weight class. It helps that all his throws except bthrow have weight-immune animations. examples- any midweight or lower floaty can be flashed off bthrow at kill percents unless they DI in, in which case they just eat tipper fair. Many of them can also be flashed off fthrow against survival DI, and even with no DI if you're close to an edge and fthrow them off then run off flash; they're forced to to DI offstage. Semi fast fallers and fast fallers (and bowser lolol) get easily flashed at kill percents off DI away against uthrow. Fast fallers can be flash shortened on regardless of DI actually but I prefer to just bair or fair sourspot->finisher if they don't DI away. the only class that's hard to throw->flash is mid fallers, many of whom you can bthrow DACUS at kill percents, they're also one of the easier fall speeds to do normals->flash on. we're finding new ones almost every day in the wolf discord. Not to mention tons of other flash conversions off his aerials and tilts. The rule of wolf seems to be that everything combos into flash.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think frustration goes well beyond the metric of punishment to FF's and semi-FF's. Take 2 throws that can be devastating to that group: Marth Uthrow and Snake Uthrow. One of these goes way beyond the other, cause it's greedy and reaches deep into the Cookie Jar to be good vs nearly every character. PM characters raid the Cookie Jar like it's gonna run out.

If Wolf gets 0-death or Flash kills at 40 on Fox + friends, sure people will clap for the wreckage. Having tools to body top tiers is pretty sweet. But when moves, combos, setups, or anything inbetween start to ignore what the opponent's character is, it evolves to get a bit lame. If a person labs hard enough with Wolf and MK, there's probably setups that will work on the entire character spectrum: Fox to Squirtle to Dedede. Or in the rare moments there's a gap in coverage, you'll probably retain some positional advantage as a strong character after a throw, launch, blah blah blah.

I'm fine with strong chars and people generally like power, but frustration and disappointment with PM has a lot to do with "universal" goodness on moves or chars. "Oh look, minor adjustments and it's almost the same thing working just as well!" Also because of the vast split some chars have on this goodness: Wolf is amazing, Diddy is amazing, and someone like Squirtle/Ness/D3 has to "actually" learn 40 somethin MU's and do niche weird things to compete. People with middle of the road characters (some who got noticeable changes, nerfs, or underwhelming buffs in 3.6) while many top tiers got baby slaps, it's a wonder more people didn't quit.

PM is fun but I think the evolution or progress of the meta isn't that peachy. That big open door of "any char can compete and win" seems to be closing further. Better characters snuff out weaker chars way harder and lamer than people want to admit imo.

"PM is fun and balanced" they said. "Nobody will call stuff jank, they will accept and acknowledge results as Player Skill and not cheesey abusive jank!". Kind of a joke. People want legitimacy and respect for PM, while blatantly disrespecting players using the very tools this "godly" mod gave them. You nerf FF punishment and install Fox + Falco as the top 2 undisputed characters again, or gave every character Marth Uthrow to body FF's, and none of this would really change. Same callouts over "jank", same disrespect, same complaints.

Last patch notes from PMDT should have been "Misc changes- Buffed PM community to shut up and play more, instead of crying over the internet about everything". Probably would have done more good than any actual character balance additions. Some stuff seems lame, fine, but the community can't even agree on what they want or what gameplay is enjoyable. People want Melee top tiers to maybe be more reasonable in some areas, then cry when a Squirtle accomplishes it cause "Well he didn't win in a Melee style!" Well what the hell do you want then, Captain Douglas Jay Squirtle? The secret boss of the Fire Emblem Series, Squirtle Dual-Wielding Ike and Marth's Swords???

"NERF MELEE STUFF, BUT MAKE IT MORE MELEE OR WE'LL CRY JANK!"- pm community

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I"PM is fun and balanced" they said. "Nobody will call stuff jank, they will accept and acknowledge results as Player Skill and not cheesey abusive jank!". Kind of a joke.
Show me a character-based game where the community doesn't constantly whine about characters and I'll show you a dead game. It's basically human nature at this point: when a thing goes wrong for somebody, there's a certain type of person that will loudly blame anything but themselves. Since characters are the medium through which gamers practice their hobby, at least in games relevant to this conversation such as fighters, they tend to take the brunt of that effect. Everyone else gets to listen.

But you know that.

---

I think PM 3.6 is, by and large, good enough. I also think we're in kind of a late 3.02-like era where people have been playing long enough that the novelty's worn off, and people are perceiving the areas where design could be improved.

The community's in a pessimistic place, but I'd point at Melee's post-Brawl dark age and say things could be so much worse. So what if we don't have tens of thousands of people watching our grand finals? Once upon a time nobody streamed Smash games basically ever. Melee grew explosively thanks to the documentary, EVO, and maybe a couple other factors; Smash 4 rode that wave. Smash 64 is growing its niche in a more gradual way, though, and I think if the PM scene wants to grow, it will also have to do it the hard way.

I dunno. I think what I'm trying to get at is that PM is in an environment that really encourages online bickering right now. Try not to let it get to you.

(I don't get to play the game all that much lately, and when I do most of the people involved aren't better than me, so it's hard for me to call out any specific aspect of PM's design because I haven't reached that point yet. Only thing that actually bothers me right now is Snake, and despite his issues, he's not actually strong enough to be a problem in the long run IMO. All other frustration regarding PM for me right now boils down to me being bad.)

1FD

Smash Ace
I try man
Winners don't miss techs
Squirtle players miss techs
mystery solved

ICs are unintuitive to me
kill the AI when split what?
grabs is like the only thing to watch for?
wall jank?

Oli too
his grab broke or something what how?
how do I get pikmin off me and/or does it matter?

still fun af tho

when I talk about tears with my hommies we talk about it like there's a oncewas3.02tier, and the still3.02tier, wolf is the last of the 3.02 I swear
I'm carried af today and had to play 2 ridic players in early patches before laser cheese was even a thing and they were doing shi i still haven't seen elsewhere

Wolf is my bae and my bae is always the sexiest

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I think frustration goes well beyond the metric of punishment to FF's and semi-FF's. Take 2 throws that can be devastating to that group: Marth Uthrow and Snake Uthrow. One of these goes way beyond the other, cause it's greedy and reaches deep into the Cookie Jar to be good vs nearly every character. PM characters raid the Cookie Jar like it's gonna run out.

If Wolf gets 0-death or Flash kills at 40 on Fox + friends, sure people will clap for the wreckage. Having tools to body top tiers is pretty sweet. But when moves, combos, setups, or anything inbetween start to ignore what the opponent's character is, it evolves to get a bit lame. If a person labs hard enough with Wolf and MK, there's probably setups that will work on the entire character spectrum: Fox to Squirtle to Dedede. Or in the rare moments there's a gap in coverage, you'll probably retain some positional advantage as a strong character after a throw, launch, blah blah blah.

I'm fine with strong chars and people generally like power, but frustration and disappointment with PM has a lot to do with "universal" goodness on moves or chars. "Oh look, minor adjustments and it's almost the same thing working just as well!" Also because of the vast split some chars have on this goodness: Wolf is amazing, Diddy is amazing, and someone like Squirtle/Ness/D3 has to "actually" learn 40 somethin MU's and do niche weird things to compete. People with middle of the road characters (some who got noticeable changes, nerfs, or underwhelming buffs in 3.6) while many top tiers got baby slaps, it's a wonder more people didn't quit.

PM is fun but I think the evolution or progress of the meta isn't that peachy. That big open door of "any char can compete and win" seems to be closing further. Better characters snuff out weaker chars way harder and lamer than people want to admit imo.

"PM is fun and balanced" they said. "Nobody will call stuff jank, they will accept and acknowledge results as Player Skill and not cheesey abusive jank!". Kind of a joke. People want legitimacy and respect for PM, while blatantly disrespecting players using the very tools this "godly" mod gave them. You nerf FF punishment and install Fox + Falco as the top 2 undisputed characters again, or gave every character Marth Uthrow to body FF's, and none of this would really change. Same callouts over "jank", same disrespect, same complaints.

Last patch notes from PMDT should have been "Misc changes- Buffed PM community to shut up and play more, instead of crying over the internet about everything". Probably would have done more good than any actual character balance additions. Some stuff seems lame, fine, but the community can't even agree on what they want or what gameplay is enjoyable. People want Melee top tiers to maybe be more reasonable in some areas, then cry when a Squirtle accomplishes it cause "Well he didn't win in a Melee style!" Well what the hell do you want then, Captain Douglas Jay Squirtle? The secret boss of the Fire Emblem Series, Squirtle Dual-Wielding Ike and Marth's Swords???

"NERF MELEE STUFF, BUT MAKE IT MORE MELEE OR WE'LL CRY JANK!"- pm community
Uhhhh, what? I have no idea about what you just except that people whine.

1FD

Smash Ace
I was actually referring to the reason DF decided to point out in a condescending way :)
I know the feels he called me an alt account, degrated to not even human name searching broke my heart
but I would never cheat on wolf so it wouldn't have worked between us anyway

Yoshi had a ground bounce once but it was a little differnt than a normal spike but I think that could have worked
then it was removed, not realy anything else in the game that works like that now

Show me a character-based game where the community doesn't constantly whine about characters and I'll show you a dead game. It's basically human nature at this point: when a thing goes wrong for somebody, there's a certain type of person that will loudly blame anything but themselves. Since characters are the medium through which gamers practice their hobby, at least in games relevant to this conversation such as fighters, they tend to take the brunt of that effect. Everyone else gets to listen.

But you know that.
1 rotten tomato doesn't spoil a basket
unless you smash the basket
people love smashing the basket

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I skimmed that really hard and liked pretty much every 4th post.

Am I contributing to the thread well?

Also I think the Squirtles miss techs joke was in reference to the momentum carry. The joke was killed when it was pointed out.

Actually I don't know if many people got it in the first place.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've been playing a lot of yoshi, it makes me so sad how much of him just feels not complete. In the same boat as pit. Yoshi had real things, a lot of good things, but lacks the glue to hold them together, and has a lot of really dumb things that just don't work that well.

Why can't he have melee ftilt start up frames? The 4 frame ftilt was really important to his frame trap game. Why can't he have a normal shield? Why does grounded side b steal his jump if he goes off stage? 16 frame standing grab? Egg lay is in the same category as kirby/ddd inhale where they don't get much off of it. Compared to command grabs of wario/diddy who both have really strong neutrals and can net a lot off of catching them shielding?

Like, faster ftilt(4 frame like melee)/real shield/fix side b from just killing yoshi (or make it actually okay?)/a real standing grab/egg toss slightly less endlag(more setups, more lenient if you mess up a slide off stage upb ledge grab)/let yoshi actually get something real off of egg lay, so he can deal with shields via something not running grab. Bam he's an actual character?

I'm kinda just disgruntled with how attention was split amoung the cast? Yoshi/kirby/ddd/pit/oli/ics struggle ever patch while amazing feeling, fully complete, monsters like wolf/mk/zss/diddy/sonic/etc run around the top tier. I don't think a 4.0 would actually fix any of the problems either. You can make those characters solid without making then annoying to play against, by just patching up a few of their respective holes. Make them all around all right with diverse strengths instead of niche strengths+debilitating weaknesses. It's more interesting to play around strengths of each of your own characters instead of playing to a horrible weakness.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Yoshi is actually just a huge mess of a character. It seems pretty obvious to me that there wasn't really anyone in the PMDT who specialized in Yoshi or understood his design in a way to keep it faithful to his Melee design while also making him threatening. It also doesn't help that he's buggy af. Getting stuck in shield after rolls, Egg Lay's hitboxes not always working properly, and his shield is "pokable" when it shouldn't be. Heck, he can't even jump out of shield on frame 1 like every other character in the game. He has to wait until like frame 6 or 7 IIRC. Additionally, his movement through wavelands and how edge cancelled eggs function differently than in Melee, making him also very inconsistent in that regard. Some of these issues have been around since 3.02, and they were reported, but still never got fixed. Some of them were going to be fixed in "that" build, but that's a dead dream. It's clear that he didn't receive much positive attention throughout development.

Bugs and glitches aside, he's still just...kinda bad? He's got a lot of potential in his combos/punishes, but I feel as if his neutral and how some of the moves in his moveset work leaves a lot to be desired, imo. Why does his hurtbox stretch during bair, and why not make it slightly disjointed? How come his down air got nerfed so that it doesn't do a lot of damage, but Peach still has her down smash which can potentially do even more damage than that, is faster on startup, and almost always puts you in a bad situation, while Yoshi's dair is so slow that even if you get hit by it, you can SDI the following hits on reaction.

At this point, I can understand his grab nerfs, for the most part, but why leave him with a useless standing grab? As a matter of fact, I'm curious as to why this game even has some moves that people would consider to be damn near useless. Yoshi's standing grab, Sheik's chain, Lucas's dash grab, Samus's standing grab, Puff's Sing, etc. I've always wondered why they just didn't get something else.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
The problem is the PMDT decided to take a lot of creative freedoms with the cast which caused a lot of these issues.

Sakurai designs characters pretty holistically, for the most part. I think you can fix most issues with the Melee cast purely by buffing frame data

The DT went way too crazy with a lot of the designs and I think we're just now starting to see the ramifications of that

Life

Smash Hero
^I'm not entirely certain what the PMDT's design changes have to do with Yoshi, considering that he's pretty similar to Melee aside from the shield and the bugs.

EDIT: Or is he? I honestly don't know much about either character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom