• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thou Shalt Not Sleep On The Kid, Part 2: C9.Mang0 Wins EVO 2014

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
After several amazing sets between top 3 contenders C9.Mang0, Crs.Hungrybox and EMP | Armada, C9.Mang0 has emerged as the Super Smash Brothers Melee Evolution Fighting Series 2014 champion. EVO 2014 was a battle of attrition: with 970 entrants in the tournament, advancing in the tournament required incredible stamina, not to mention skill. Top three was no exception - each set lasted the full five games, pushing the three fighters to their limits. However, after a 5 game set in which Crs.Hungrybox defeated EMP | Armada's Young Link, C9.Mang0 finally clutched it out in Grand Finals to take the tournament and defend his EVO 2013 title.

C9.Mang0 is your EVO 2014 Champion!

After the award ceremony concluded, retiring commentator and major figure Producto was honored with the Cannon Award for his outstanding contributions to the Super Smash Brothers community. While he will be missed behind the mic, it is clear that everyone involved with Smash Brothers appreciates what he's done for the scene, and hopes to see him involved in the community for years to come.

Prog, pictured right, holding the Cannon Award

Congratulations to C9.Mang0 on his second straight EVO championship! Now that this string of amazing summer tournaments is coming to an end, do you think Mang0 has proven himself as the definitive Greatest of All Time? Will SSBM reappear at EVO next year? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

Reggie says "No Johns." Awesome.

The Derrit is exhausted from all this high level play! Congratulations to everyone involved, and I hope to see you all there next year at EVO 2015. Follow me on Twitter at @Thederrit.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
DUAL EVO TROPHY PICS INCOMING.
Mango is gonna have to buy a second stroller for them.

I think we can say he's just simply the best player of all time.

Last edited:

Oops!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aguyudontknow
3DS FC
1693-1719-9908
I was rooting so hard for Hungrybox, but congrats to Mango for continuing to kick butt. Also, Axe's 1-minute 4-stock was amazing.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

AKA Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen

So many hype sets!

Also, WE LOVE YOU PROG! Very emotional ending :/ Take care of yourself and look forward to hearing from you again!

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Prog, thank you for everything you've done for the community. You will be missed!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Axe was wrecking people. I'm surprised Axe didn't make it to top three. Very incredible sets this year. Incredibly hype. We'll all miss you dearly Prog. Here's to ten more years. *raises wine glass*

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
It should've been Armada, not Hbox going to GF. He would've saved us.

Thank you Prog though. I was not ready when D1 was on mic.

1392669782409.gif

pickle962

Smash Lord
Ugh, shut up with this "Thou shall not sleep on The Kid" its obnoxious, just like all of the Mango fanbase.
Someone's about to get eaten alive in the comments section *grabs popcorn*

Hungrybox put in WORK this tourney.
Definitely! Shame he lost to that cheater of a fat kid during the Sm4sh invitational (though to be fair, Nintendo apparently hasn't heard of the rules for what happens in a real match of smash when time runs out on a stock match)

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
Anyone who didn't believe in Hungrybox being one of the 5 gods can take a seat, he's proven he's still one.

Much love to Prog, you were amazing behind the mic and always have been.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I haven't got a whole lot I can say, especially since I only got to tune in later on, but that was an outstanding show. I ended up rooting for Hungrybox because his Jigglypuff is so outstanding, but congrats to the victor, Mango, who played just as well.

And look, I'm not going to pretend like I'm really a part of the competitive Smash community, since it's kinda been impossible for me. I'm very much an outsider. But these past few months, I've realised all of the history I missed out on, and all of the beautiful moments. And while I can't say I can fully appreciate what Prog has done all of these years, I will say that he's becoming somewhat of an inspirational figure for me personally, from what little I know. And D1's tears and Prog's words managed to make a dent in even my stone cold heart, which says a lot to me about the impact of this community and Prog as person.

So my condolences go out to those who will be most deeply effected by him stepping down from the mic, and I'll surely miss him. He's a really talented guy. And I look forward to hearing whatever he does next!

O Dog

Smash Cadet
NNID
orionbc84
3DS FC
1521-2681-9055
Axe with the 56 sec 4-stock was absolutely amazing! The whole Top 8 was amazing. And Prog, you are a leader in our community and will be truly missed. Your work was not in vain.

Coin

Smash Rookie
EVO was fantastic this year! Major upsets all around.Personally Hungrybox winning against the other top players wasn't one for me xP. Little disappointed that he didn't win, gratz to Mang0 though. Good stuff to Silent Wolf as well hope to play a bit with him when he comes home. #RyuJigz#ONEMOREYEAR #EVO2014

Oh, definitely going to miss Prog.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Amazing tournament, so much hype moments. Mang0 took it home and well deserved imo. Amazing play from all top 8 players as usual of course.

D1's speach and Prog's award speach were very moving. Sad to see you go, Prog. You and D1 were the best commentator duo no doubt imo. I'm sure you'll find another way to joyfully spend your time and I wish you the best of health.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I have to say, Evo 2014 was very good this year. I came back to the community last year with Evo 2013 and the community just keeps getting better and better. Congratulations to Mang0 on winning Evo yet again. I'm sad for Hbox, but happy at the same time. Imo, this is the best I've ever seen him play against Mang0. Maybe next time he'll finally be able to beat him.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I may have been routing for HBOX as always but it's hard to respect how talented mango is with melee. So good for him, maybe you'll get him next year HBOX!

As for prog, I won't lie and say I've been with the smash community for all these years I didn't even know to much about it until the documentary but even as someone whos just jumping into the community i can already appreciate A LOT of what he's done and he's easily one of the best commentators their are out there. I wish him the best of luck and I will miss hearing his awesome voice over matches.

Also nice to see nintendo throwing in some support, hearing reggie say no johns was strangely satisfying actually.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Too bad this was going on at the same time as the $10 million Dota 2 Internationals. I had to make a choice between my two babies. I need to check out that 1 min 4-stock everyone is talking about! <3 Axe

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Wow to Hungrybox, congratulations on your best tournament to date.

The event was amazing, still have to watch all the sets. Congrats to all on getting recognition from Nintendo, visibility and growing as a community over the past year. This was a great show!

Just a side note. It was weird to watch the prize ceremony, as the top8, except for mango, HB and maybe Axe, were all visibly dissapointed. As much as you are all aiming for first, you should enjoy these moments, take not-victory as positive results. Take things with philosophy, as one says.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
Ken,Mango, and Armada are the greatest of all time. Good **** to mango tho nice second evo win.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Shoutout to Hbox for doing 14 matches in succession (correct me if I'm wrong) and still performing incredibly well and getting 2nd place! I was rooting for him throughout the entire thing and am really proud of him. Even just getting second you could tell he was beaming through every match.

Congrats to Mango too, he really has proven his title as the Mang.o.a.t.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Two things to say about EVO 2014:

1st Im really happy for HungryBox, a lot of persons usually understimate him. Good job, HungryBox.

2nd EVO twitch chat was toxic, really. All those idiots rooting against Smash. It seems that Melee will never fit at all in the Fighting Game Community, aparently the brain of those guys cannot accept a game with more movement options than left and right or perhaps is because Melee does not have a life bar, who knows...

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Excuse me, but could someone please tell me what exactly it means to be "A John"??
A john is basically just a term for an excuse ("My controller wasn't working", "I haven't eaten so I'm off my game", "The sun was in my eyes", etc).

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
Excuse me, but could someone please tell me what exactly it means to be "A John"??
A John is a blanket term used to "justify" an event occuring in a Smash Bros. game, such as losing, missing a recovery, or narrowly losing a match, among others. It can be considered roughly equivalent to the word "excuse".

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Two things to say about EVO 2014:

1st Im really happy for HungryBox, a lot of persons usually understimate him. Good job, HungryBox.

2nd EVO twitch chat was toxic, really. All those idiots rooting against Smash. It seems that Melee will never fit at all in the Fighting Game Community, aparently the brain of those guys cannot accept a game with more movement options than left and right or perhaps is because Melee does not have a life bar, who knows...
Twitch chat is and always will be toxic. Take it with a grain of salt. It had 120 or 130k or whatever viewers. What do you expect?

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Armada really needs to improve his anti-Jigglypuff counterpick strategy. Mango is really good enough that he probably would have won either way, but everyone knows the one-sided history behind Hbox and Mango and because of that it was a little un-hype. Hbox did almost clutch out the first set though, that was cool.

Congrats to everyone!

(And honestly, Mango Hbox GFs is waaaaay better than an Armada Hbox GF)

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Nothing like checking the Smashboards and reading "Mango wins X event!" This spoils watching all his EVO matches for me. :(

Well congrats to Mango!

Sanrikko

Smash Rookie
Great matches from everyone this Evo. A little disappointed because I felt like M2K didn't perform as well as he could have, but still he did a great job getting this far and his set was a good one, hope he's not too upset about it. Of course grats to Hbox and Mango and all the other competitors.

I haven't been apart of the community very long but I can see how much the community cares for Prog, and how much he cares back, so, for what it's worth, really wish you the best in whatever the future holds for you man. I can tell you'll always have this place to call home.

Top Bottom