• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
To be honest, Stylish poses is where I really see his aerials, here's some samples:

So, yeah, partners aren't much neccessary for aerials :)

As for the gimmick, tbh, it can work, I never saw someone work around his taunts.....just do not overkill it. What I mean is I don;t see the taunts being essential, it could serve as an useful bonus, but not relying on it.
yeah aerials and smash attacks are where I see his taunts working. Perhaps his specials too, but not grabs or normals. And oh he'll be totally be to handle his own without the stylish meter being used, it would just buff up his moves, like Thudley would add up more damage and a higher chance of a meteor strike, same with Sushie, and when we get to Flurrie a meteor strike is guaranteed. Aside from that his ground pound can work like Greninja's dair where he bounces back up and at a specific point you press one of the taunt directions to taunt :p

I just feel like it'll give him power since he'll be one of the lighter, if not lightest (beating Jigglypuff) characters in the game.

Also, if Yoshi Kid is used in his moveset, wouldn't it be cool if his color changed along with Paper Mario's? Unfortunately there's only 7 colors available, but we could add an original purple one just for fun :p

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So here's my opinion... I DO want Paper Mario, but not before much needed characters like Isaac, Wolf, and King K Rool. The Mario franchise is well represented as is. Paper Mario would be just icing on the cake. Meanwhile, DK could REALLY use some more reps. And it's honestly a shame that Golden Sun isn't represented in Smash yet. And as for Wolf, StarFox would be perfectly represented with 3 reps.
Krkr and wolf, I do see them going before him anyway.

But issac is where it;s honestly debatable. Isaac is more popular.....but his series seems to have decrease a lot of its importance lately unlike Paper Mario who just got quite love in paper jam making a WiiU game even more likely (again, james leak). not to mention that Issac popularity is Japan isn;t that good unlike Paper Mario.

But i will say this, it's hard to say which would go before between the two (lean on paper mario tbh), but i will say he's the one where the chances are the closest to him. Kkr btw, even if i see him going before, he has one problem being that his series seems to forget him lately, I think his popularity kinda cancels this out, but it;s still affecting his recognition.

As for wolf, I have no complain, there;s a lot for him suggesting he should go before (mainly, he's a vet).

As for well represented as is, i will say this again, it was before rosalina. The point is not getting to a point where there is enough number, the point is to rep the subsets in a diverse way. The paper subset is repped by a stage, we got multiple proof of its importance to nintendo so i don;t see any redundancy in the repping, he;s mroe an addition (and actually, would complement the already existing stage).

Like I said, I see wolf and kkr going before him, but given the last article from Sakurai, I expect I would say 3 remaining, if the case, I do see him having a chance. If it's 4, he really has a lot of chances, we know we at least get 2, that does give him quite a bit of chances because the BARE minimum is he would get close anyway.

Plus, tbh, if you want him.....did you voted for him? just curious because lately, I only see a few that supports that voted for him.....

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Krkr and wolf, I do see them going before him anyway.

But issac is where it;s honestly debatable. Isaac is more popular.....but his series seems to have decrease a lot of its importance lately unlike Paper Mario who just got quite love in paper jam making a WiiU game even more likely (again, james leak). not to mention that Issac popularity is Japan isn;t that good unlike Paper Mario.

But i will say this, it's hard to say which would go before between the two (lean on paper mario tbh), but i will say he's the one where the chances are the closest to him. Kkr btw, even if i see him going before, he has one problem being that his series seems to forget him lately, I think his popularity kinda cancels this out, but it;s still affecting his recognition.

As for wolf, I have no complain, there;s a lot for him suggesting he should go before (mainly, he's a vet).

As for well represented as is, i will say this again, it was before rosalina. The point is not getting to a point where there is enough number, the point is to rep the subsets in a diverse way. The paper subset is repped by a stage, we got multiple proof of its importance to nintendo so i don;t see any redundancy in the repping, he;s mroe an addition (and actually, would complement the already existing stage).

Like I said, I see wolf and kkr going before him, but given the last article from Sakurai, I expect I would say 3 remaining, if the case, I do see him having a chance. If it's 4, he really has a lot of chances, we know we at least get 2, that does give him quite a bit of chances because the BARE minimum is he would get close anyway.

Plus, tbh, if you want him.....did you voted for him? just curious because lately, I only see a few that supports that voted for him.....
Yes, I have voted for him, because I DO want him. I love Paper Mario. And if I could choose, I would honestly put in Paper Mario in before King K Rool and Isaac, it's just that I don't feel that it would be fair to do so.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Guess I'll join this topic :p

Here's a moveset I made a while back:

Character traits: Lightest character in the game by far, and relatively easy to KO at around 70%. In exchange, he's given powerful smash attacks like his hammer. His down air is his stomp, and it acts as a meteor. His specials utilize some of his partners from the Paper Mario games.

A: Standard punch.
AA: Standard kick.
AAA: Punch kick combo with him slamming a foe with a hammer as the finisher.

Ftilt: Paper Mario jumps and hits either Koops or Kooper's shell. It goes forward a tiny distance.
Dtilt: He shortly becomes covered in electricity ala the Volt Shroom.
Utilt: Sushi shoots out a small burst of water with short vertical distance. Has good knockback, but does little damage.

FSmash: Uses Hammer. At maximum charge, hammer becomes metal ala the Power Hammer badge.
DSmash: Barry appears and creates a thorny barrier around Mario. Sounds waves nearby do small amounts of damage while the barrier itself has high knockback.
USmash: Mario folds down as you charge it. When you release, he jumps up with a great amount of force.

Nair: Mario holds Watt on his way down.
Fair: Mario swings his hammer midair. Cudge appears when you use this.
Uair: Lakilester, beside Mario, holds a spiny up above his head.
Bair: Bow appears behind Mario and uses her fan to slap a foe.
Dair: Mario does his trademark mid-air stomp. Acts as a meteor attack, and bounces foes off the floor very effectively.

Neutral Special: Charge

Mario spins around as he charges. Next attack will have a decent boost in strength. Can be stacked a maximum of three times.

Forward Special: Fleep Flip

Mario uses Fleep either directly in front of him or backwards, which stuns the foe you use it on for a short period of time.

Up Special: Parakarry Lift

Parakarry lifts Mario up a high vertical distance. Can be controlled to go more diagonally. If Parakarry is hit, he flies away and leaves Mario in freefall, but he can take a decent bit of damage before letting go.

Down Special: Bomb Set

Mario sets either Boomer, Bombette, or Bobbery in front of him. They explode when a foe gets within a close proximity, causing large amounts of damage or knockback.

Final Smash: Clock Out

After activating the final smash, Mario raises his hands and the Crystal Stars appear. Goombella or Goombario also appear to use tattle, targeting the the opponents. If you use A with the correct timing, the screen will flash and your foes will be immobilized for ten seconds each.

Grabs: All grabs are relatively standard, but he uses Thoreau to grab so he can grab from a bit farther than most characters.

Air Dodge: He is made invisible by Bow.
Ground Dodge: He sinks into the shadows using Vivian.

Taunt 1: He shrinks using Dottie, then sizes back up.
Taunt 2: His appeal pose from TTYD.
Taunt 3: Him giving a thumbs up while Tippi floats around him.

Running animation has Dashell in it.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Guess I'll join this topic :p

Here's a moveset I made a while back:

Character traits: Lightest character in the game by far, and relatively easy to KO at around 70%. In exchange, he's given powerful smash attacks like his hammer. His down air is his stomp, and it acts as a meteor. His specials utilize some of his partners from the Paper Mario games.

A: Standard punch.
AA: Standard kick.
AAA: Punch kick combo with him slamming a foe with a hammer as the finisher.

Ftilt: Paper Mario jumps and hits either Koops or Kooper's shell. It goes forward a tiny distance.
Dtilt: He shortly becomes covered in electricity ala the Volt Shroom.
Utilt: Sushi shoots out a small burst of water with short vertical distance. Has good knockback, but does little damage.

FSmash: Uses Hammer. At maximum charge, hammer becomes metal ala the Power Hammer badge.
DSmash: Barry appears and creates a thorny barrier around Mario. Sounds waves nearby do small amounts of damage while the barrier itself has high knockback.
USmash: Mario folds down as you charge it. When you release, he jumps up with a great amount of force.

Nair: Mario holds Watt on his way down.
Fair: Mario swings his hammer midair. Cudge appears when you use this.
Uair: Lakilester, beside Mario, holds a spiny up above his head.
Bair: Bow appears behind Mario and uses her fan to slap a foe.
Dair: Mario does his trademark mid-air stomp. Acts as a meteor attack, and bounces foes off the floor very effectively.

Neutral Special: Charge

Mario spins around as he charges. Next attack will have a decent boost in strength. Can be stacked a maximum of three times.

Forward Special: Fleep Flip

Mario uses Fleep either directly in front of him or backwards, which stuns the foe you use it on for a short period of time.

Up Special: Parakarry Lift

Parakarry lifts Mario up a high vertical distance. Can be controlled to go more diagonally. If Parakarry is hit, he flies away and leaves Mario in freefall, but he can take a decent bit of damage before letting go.

Down Special: Bomb Set

Mario sets either Boomer, Bombette, or Bobbery in front of him. They explode when a foe gets within a close proximity, causing large amounts of damage or knockback.

Final Smash: Clock Out

After activating the final smash, Mario raises his hands and the Crystal Stars appear. Goombella or Goombario also appear to use tattle, targeting the the opponents. If you use A with the correct timing, the screen will flash and your foes will be immobilized for ten seconds each.

Grabs: All grabs are relatively standard, but he uses Thoreau to grab so he can grab from a bit farther than most characters.

Air Dodge: He is made invisible by Bow.
Ground Dodge: He sinks into the shadows using Vivian.

Taunt 1: He shrinks using Dottie, then sizes back up.
Taunt 2: His appeal pose from TTYD.
Taunt 3: Him giving a thumbs up while Tippi floats around him.

Running animation has Dashell in it.
I didn't expected to get a moveset this morning, I also never expected a post from you, welcome!

First before I review it, can I add you to the supporter list?

As for the moveset, this seems like the typical online moveset I saw on google, you feel it was done with the moves only rather than playstyle with following moves. I feel a mix of stuff that.... are quite weirdly placed and even some stall on the jab combo, he actually don't really punches or kicks, but he can uses flipflap sticker.

A few ideas that I like well the dash animation, this might surprise you, but it's uncomon, I blame being hard to get in spm.

The final smash is weird, the timing of the action command is like earth tremor, but this is clock out and why a Tattle? I don't see much people paying attention :)

Like I don't feel much therés a clear direction to the set and this can be fixed by thibking more about him, but it ain't easy. If you wish, I could let you change it before putting it in the op, but your choice :)

Yes, I have voted for him, because I DO want him. I love Paper Mario. And if I could choose, I would honestly put in Paper Mario in before King K Rool and Isaac, it's just that I don't feel that it would be fair to do so.
I know what is supporter bias so I feel the same and this is why I like how Sakurai handles it :)

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'll probably change a couple of moves around and refine it more.

And yes, add me to the supporters list :D

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Is anyone else loving how its confirmed that Paper Mario was a different entity this whole time? :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Is anyone else loving how its confirmed that Paper Mario was a different entity this whole time? :)
I can summaries my reaction with this:

(this seriously took me forever to find and idk why because it;s a good reaction video....).

Anyway, i would even say I was more hype than this than the game. Seriously, I was really sick of the another mario argument because it's jsut like looking at the cover before the book: it's not much accurate. Actually, fun fact, at least 3 people on character threads lately have said to change changed their mind on him. I also seem to see people here that used to support and now are back here.

Like, again, if you check the OP, the argument was so much irrelevant that explaining it took not much text and this image:

Like, how can you argue against this now? I love this image so much :)

The thing is it goes beyond that, he has an orange as its color, he has a P for its emblem despite its cap saying P, his battle effects are M&L translated in Paper Mario.....like, that's a lot of distinction.

So, there;s 2 sides where it;s just awesome. First is his series, now that he is recognized as his whole entity, anytime he was refereed as mario in his games actually means Paper Mario. The reason paper is omitted is just logical, it;s a paper world, everyone is paper :) Being his own entity separates him a bit from mario which means he;s recognised to not be him, just his origin :)

As for its support, it's just amazing. it means that you can finally take his character and imagine its own feel of him because he has now its entity with his feels now.

But the real thing was i never expected it would happen. I tough Nintendo saw Paper Mario as his other spinoff...it's just mario canon, but acts very differently. Now, I was mind blown to realise that they take Paper Mario apart....they reocgnise that his personality is unique to him....

Like, now I imagine a huge potential with this. What if we start to see him in other games? i mean, i would love to see Paper Mario make an appearance in some games outside from his series, it just has huge potential now :)

For his games, this gives him a really good chances to have a sequel.

Basically, i was mind blown and really hyped about this. I'm more free and i think Paper Mario being his own entity is improving his quirkiness because just seeing him near mario is just fun to look at :)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Haven't been here in a while.

Really excited for Paper Jam, but I doubt I'll be getting it on the spot. Don't get me wrong, I still support Paper Mario for DLC, but I've had some pretty hard times ever since I had to take time off for college again.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I realised not much people read the thing I post if i put my stuff after the quotes, so I';m going to try before them (I recall it helped before....).

I found this article:

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...nt-in-paper-mario-sticker-star-further-explai

This is new, but I think it does tell quite one important thing about SS: it coudl have not been released like promised.

Which implies: it was in danger of being delayed. This is quite something, remember that this game was quite far in dev, got shifted in the project and the final version ended up quite rushed. Normally, it;s weird that IS needed another team support to complete the game. This for me tells that the project shift scrambled a lot the dev flow, enough to make the game in danger of getting another delay, I'm sure it got delayed once because of the shift.....it was silent after all.

So, my theory that the stickers idea came in result of this rush is actually making sense. This does leave me to believe that IS just lacked time....but the fact that what was good for the series was refused explains how I don;t think it would've changed much.

Already a Rock Cover by a really talented dude for the Paper Jam boss theme!
So, I had already listened to the beginning and I was about to listen to it completely (the beginning felt not much impressive) only to find out that the music was.....unusually weird. I finally found the problem: my quality was set to 360p, so i boosted it to 1080p.....MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Seriously, that's how youtube scraps audio quality.....I'm sure his actual wav he recorded is even much better than what I listened....

But after getting that....it;s actually awesome. I definitely love it a lot better than the original because this one....yes the background is complex, but it merges well with the main tracks and the main tracks has very simple sounds. I really liek this, it gives a much better feel to the music and idk why the M&L ost don't use sounds that are that simple.....

just.....make sure you listen to the highest quality, really, youtube is already bad, don;t make it worse :)

Haven't been here in a while.

Really excited for Paper Jam, but I doubt I'll be getting it on the spot. Don't get me wrong, I still support Paper Mario for DLC, but apparently I may have lost all the respect Aldelaro had for me since I'm the one who pranked him. (For those who don't recognize me, I was Cliffjumper before I got premium)

All my pranks are used up for now, so don't worry about that.
......I already told you in pm, but just to be clear for anyone else who have no idea what happened: it's a misunderstanding, I never actually claimed or suggest to not like him anymore, I just claimed the color was an annoyance.

Like, dude, you;re still on the support list.....you';re still welcome here (why I wouldn't welcome you?).

With that said....could you now respond to this knowing that? This is a paper mario thread after all :)

KR_G

Smash Rookie
I made post about voting for him on all PCs,Wii U,3DS and 30 or 40 did that so there's a chance!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I made post about voting for him on all PCs,Wii U,3DS and 30 or 40 did that so there's a chance!
....That's quite spammy though, I hope the reason box was used neatly at the very least (no kidding I only voted once with the max amount of characters used in the reason box...).

But I'm curious that 40 voted, where the heck you posted to have THAT much votes? I never saw this before...

Like, spamming that much votes....isn't really good, I mean it makes the checking harder and not to mention that quantity really isn't everything. What I'm really curious is 40 voted at least once...

You seem to be new here (welcome btw), so....can you at least tell me where you posted? I think you actually can't post links now, but I'm really curious when you got that much...

KR_G

Smash Rookie
....That's quite spammy though, I hope the reason box was used neatly at the very least (no kidding I only voted once with the max amount of characters used in the reason box...).

But I'm curious that 40 voted, where the heck you posted to have THAT much votes? I never saw this before...

Like, spamming that much votes....isn't really good, I mean it makes the checking harder and not to mention that quantity really isn't everything. What I'm really curious is 40 voted at least once...

You seem to be new here (welcome btw), so....can you at least tell me where you posted? I think you actually can't post links now, but I'm really curious when you got that much...
Well actually I got different people to vote for him on different devices. And on miiverse.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well actually I got different people to vote for him on different devices.
yes, I know, but I'm very curious WHERE you did that?

Miiverse? gamefaq? where? I know it's not on Smashboards because you JUSt joined here....

The reason I'm interested is I really never saw this happening for 30-40 people.....

Like, it just might be soemthing I want to try if you managed to get that much.

KR_G

Smash Rookie
Well actually I got different people to vote for him on different devices.
yes, I know, but I'm very curious WHERE you did that?

Miiverse? gamefaq? where? I know it's not on Smashboards because you JUSt joined here....

The reason I'm interested is I really never saw this happening for 30-40 people.....

Like, it just might be soemthing I want to try if you managed to get that much.
Miiverse

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok.....that;s actually very interesting....

look, this might get my job easier, but could you give me your profile name? I might just check the posts myself. This is very interesting, I never got that much results on miiverse and I posted some times.

Like, I can just get your profile with a little google :)

KR_G

Smash Rookie

look, this might get my job easier, but could you give me your profile name? I might just check the posts myself. This is very interesting, I never got that much results on miiverse and I posted some times.

NNID 3dsfan08

KR_G

Smash Rookie

It's KR Inkling

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Also it's KR inkling
little heads up, try to avoid double/triple post but I found it.

So, I just checked some of them and....

WOW, that is really neat support there :)

Seriously, thank you :)

Like, i always do some very simple posts, I never had the time to do complete drawing :)

So, i'll add you to the supporter list, but really, thanks, that helps us a lot (altough, it helps to spread it, alone, it doesn;t change much the chances, it just helps to make people aware).

Feel free to talk more about him in the thread, the OP here has many ideas about him :)

EDIT: just use the edit button though, it;s not really well seen to post in a row.

Last edited:

KR_G

Smash Rookie

Like, i always do some very simple posts, I never had the time to do complete drawing :)

So, i'll add you to the supporter list, but really, thanks, that helps us a lot (altough, it helps to spread it, alone, it doesn;t change much the chances, it just helps to make people aware).

Feel free to talk more about him in the thread, the OP here has many ideas about him :)

EDIT: just use the edit button though, it;s not really well seen to post in a row.
Thanks the post took me some time to make!

KR_G

Smash Rookie

And what user do you have?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
And what user do you have?
please....use the "edit" button, do not make multiple posts in a row.....

I'm aldelaro5 on miiverse, but I really don;t post much and also, if you wish to talk more about stuff on miiverse, I should pm you because this thread is mostly paper mario related.....

Though, welcome to smashboards!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I voted him on a phone,PC,Wii U,3DS
tbh, i don;t recommend to do this, it's just a bit of spam and also, you should be focusing a lot on the reasons box...I'm sure they really will care as to what reasons people gives. Not to mention there;s very good reasons :)

Also, I sent you a pm. I jsut want that you read/reply to it. just go on the envelope near the notification area, it should say that you received a pm.

Though, if you could tell what you wrote in the reasons box after you did that....that would be appreciated. i don't see much ballot text that's why :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Very sorry for double posting / bumping the thread, but as you might have noticed the past couple of days, some stuff did changed on how the thread would work.

The very obvious thing is the slogan, I changed it to this for multiple reasons, but it mainly has to do with how the previous one was really not showing what we are supporting exactly. The newer slogan does make it more difficult for the thread tittle, but it;s a really good tradeoff. The slogan was chosen and was discussed with supporters here (which i have in a pm here), and we found an universal agreement. Plus, seeing the reaction on where I posted it, people seems to like it.

However, it's much better than i thought we could find.

First, it refferences the pm64 marketting slogan that said on the box "thinner mario, bigger adventure", I really tried to have something fitting this canvas and it works. i considered using mario instead of character, but given how it just seems to not be the same entity as mario, I left character for more length in it.

The second less obvious thing is it actually references TTYD with the word appeal. i really didn't know it was possible to reference the 2 most appreciated games of the series in 4 words, but it has been done :)

The last and best thing is how much it tells you about him. He;s paper, but and this is completely intended, he;s also
:)

Like, what we want to tell for supporting him is that he does have a really good and interesting potential, lots of people actually got that, but the way it would be used tells a lot more on how this character is more than it might look like. if you played TTYD, but also spm and I would say kinda SS and pm64, it's obvious how quirky he is.

Like he wants to fight with style and pleases his audience. That;s the thing that would distinguish a character with really good potential, and a character with really good potential used with distinct flavor in mind. idk about you guys, but all these games would clearly not feel the same if the goal in mind wasn't to be attractive and appealing in every way. The visuals and the animations, but also the music has a feel that just sounds interesting and fun to look/hear. To me, this is why this series has received so much praised, it;s very lovable and memorable for this effect.

These are the reasons i went with this slogan, I want to show that it;s even more than just a multipurpose piece of paper, that paper has different intent when fighting which leads us to want this, not just that paper.

And while we were at it, I FINALLY changed my signature (seriously, I had this sig since a year.....). This time, I went with a very difficult setup, but it works, it has 2 images links and these are self explanatory. The main thing is the image on the left, I really wanted to show the appealing side of him, this is exactly why there;s a very uncommon pm64 artwork, I know their color depth sucks, but they are so cute, it was just fitting and also shows his hammers.

So, from now on, please forget the old slogan existed: it;s not fitting specifically to him now, I highly recommend that if you want to incite support elsewhere to use the newer one, it might just me me and the others in the pm, but it sounds much more catchy.

Last thing because I didn;t just bumped the thread for thing, miiverse announced a new redesign comming. One thing that got my attention is the ability to post 100 private screenshot on your account. A capture card for a 3ds costs a lot and the thing is, the miiverse update might be the best way to get footage from Sticker star.

But WHYYYYYYYYY???????

Simple: documentation. I have a whole album of images of stuff from the games here:

http://imgur.com/a/uj2o6

These are mainly to show off his moves and I have been posting them on tumblr lately but ran out of them.

You can btw use them for movesets creation, but Sticker star has animations that the others games do not have and despite how bad the game was overall, it has good stuff that are very relevant for movesets and moves showing. I cannot afford a 3ds cap card nor I think it's worth it, but having these screenshots for me is the best way to just download them on my pc and crop them to get a good idea of his moves. To me, he is a character that you kinda have to show what he would do to make people realise its appeal.

And who knows? maybe I could do more support spreading with these.

Speaking of this, do you have any ideas on how I could spread support now? I was heavily thinking about youtube comments, but I honestly rarely comments on these so, if you had any ideas, this is pretty much the time now. It might not change much in the ballot, but now, I still consider he really has a decent chance so getting more love would just help.

Creativion

Smash Apprentice

Paper Mario is an all-star character who's 1st game was nearly 15 years ago. He would be perfect for smash despite being alike Mario. He is from RPG series and would be a very unique character. Plus, there's Link and Toon Link, so why not Mario and Paper Mario?
Entrance: Flies in from the side in Paper Airplane mode, then unfolds to become Paper Mario.
Jab Combo
Ⓐ Smashes his hammer down quickly
ⒶⒶ Whips his hammer back up
ⒶⒶⒶ Smashes his hammer down again with a more powerful hit

Forward Tilt
Ⓐ▷Whips his hammer forward, similar to the Fire Drive Attack.

Down Tilt
Ⓐ▽ Performs his Superguard attack. Since it is his superguard, it has super armour and is a great K.O. move. He spins around a bit after though, so it can leave him vunerable if he misses.

Up Tilt
Ⓐ△Does a flip and kicks in the air.

Dash Attack
Ⓐ▷▷ Spins around and goes forward very fast, from Paper Mario 64. It's like Mega Man's Top Spin, but it has slightly farther range and doesn't carry opponents along with it. It's sort of like a hit and run.

Air Attacks
Neutral Air
Ⓐ Puts his feet together for a jumping attack. Anyone who gets hit under his feet will get pushed down and receive a lot of damage.

Forward Air
Ⓐ▷ Paper Mario does his belly stylish moves hitting some opponents in his animation and does a little damage.

Back Air
Ⓐ◁ Paper Mario does some back flip while moving behind like his stylish move and doing some damage. Because he moves behind, it can't be used well after a neutral air.

Down Air
Ⓐ▽ Does a Ground Pound attack. He flips around and stalls, then quickly launches himself down, making this a powerful and high-knockback move.

Up Air
Ⓐ△ Holds Barry (pixl) up in the air and carry's enemies.

SMASH Attacks!

Forward Smash
Charges a hammer smash, and you can hear the familiar 4 beeps when you use this attack. It travels in a half-arc in front of him, and is very very powerful.

Down Smash
Uses his Super Hammer attack, spinning his hammer around. It has very high sideways launching power.

Up Smash
Uses Hammer Throw and throws his hammer directly above him, hitting fairly high aerial targets with a strong smash.

Special Moves!

Neutral Special
Transforms into his Paper Airplane form, and glides. Anyone who he hits with the front of their airplane gets dealt repeated damage while being carried. It also works as a sideways recovery, so it leaves him in a helpless state afterward. He folds back into normal form by pressing B again or landing on the ground.

Side Special
Uses his Partners in battle! Holding it down cycle through partners poofing out in front of Mario, but they all assist him! It takes 10 seconds to recharge after each use.

Goombario: Chases down opponents and hits them with a nasty headbonk.
Koops: Uses Shell Toss and uses his shell form to race around the stage, hitting ground targets.
Lakilester: Uses Spiny Flip and throws Spiny Shells at enemies.
Flurrie: Blows enemies with wind, similar to Mario's FLUDD move.
Watt: Slowly flies around and damages anyone who touches him.
Vivian: Uses Fiery Jinx, taking a second, then damaging all enemies with fire. This can be blocked with a shield of dodged. If you get close to here, she uses here shade fist to punch

Up Special
Does a Spring Jump. The longer you charge it, the more Paper Mario folds to the ground, and the higher he jumps when the button is release. Is does a little bit of damage on the way up.

Down Special
Cycle's through items with the menu sound. If the button is held down, it keeps cycling through 5 various items:

Info:
When the button is let go, it uses whatever button is being held down at the time. The Mushroom heals 10 damage.
Honey Syrup will make Mario perform attacks much quicker, and charge smash attacks faster.
The Courage Shell will halve all damage that he takes for 10 seconds.
The Volt Shroom will make an electric barrier around Paper Mario, that will causes small bits of damage to enemies when they touch it. It does not disrupt movement or attacks, and it lasts 10 seconds.
The Boo Sheet will give Mario the clear/invisible effect for the 10 seconds it's active.
And the Power Punch will make Paper Mario big for 5 seconds.
As soon as you start using the special, you have to wait 10 seconds to use it again. It's available right after most items wear off, but you can't use the same item for another minute. Any item you use is now gone for 60 seconds.

(I know DLC fighters don't get custom moves, but I wanted to make some anyway. I hope they get customs in the future)

Custom Special Moves #1
Neutral Special
Appeal: Waves his arms in the air and stars fly into him, each time raises his attack by 25%, and it can only be used 4 times. No matter the percent, it wears off after 10 seconds.

Side Special
Uses more PARTNERS! same rules apply

Kooper: Uses Shell Toss, like Koop's but goes faster, albeit with less damage.
Bobbery: Walks forward about to explode, and causes an explosion after a while or when someone touches him. When he explodes, small bombs from his Bomb Squad attack fly out, causing mini explosions with mini damage.
Lady Bow: Uses fan smack. She turns invisible and appears in front of enemies, smacking them with the fan 5 times. It holds them in place, just like the fan from Brawl!
Ms. Mowz: Uses Tease and just creates 4 clones to run around. They don't do anything other than that, but it could confuse the person playing! (and is programmed to confuse CPU's)
Sushie: Belly flops around the stage to attack.
Yoshi: Flutter Jumps around ground pounding enemies. (The yoshi randomly changes colours like in the real game)

Up Special
Parkarry pulls him upward a bit and is very maneuverable.

Down Special
Battle Items! Just like the one above, but it cycles through very different items for attacking methods!

Fire Flower will spawn in front of Mario and shoot small fireballs out in waves forward. They do little damage but there is a lot of them that launch around!
Dizzy Dial will make a spiral appear and spin around Mario for a second, and anyone who gets caught in the big spiral will have their control mixed up for 5 seconds, like the Skull Kid assist trophy.
Sleepy Sheep will make 5 sheeps run and jump forward, and if they hit an enemy, they will fall asleep! Time of course depends on their damage.
The Pow Block functions just like the pow block item, instead Mario just jumps and hits it right away.
Thunder Bolt will create an instant thunderbolt in front of Mario. It's like Pikachu's thunder, except it's instant and won't give much knockback.
Shooting Star will make stars rain down from the top of the screen for 5 seconds. There isn't that much of them, but the damage will about 5-10%. It doesn't give very much knockback but it can make it seem like it causes chaos!
The same rules apply to this one as the regular one.

Custom Special Moves #2
Neutral Special
A white crosshair appears and Paper Mario controls it. When you let go of the button when it is lined up with the enemy, a reticle appears and the enemy is dealt damage.

Side Special
Uses Pixls!
Tippi: Stays in place, but uses a reticle to line up with enemies and attacks them with it.
Fleep: Floats around slowly, uses an attack that does repeated damage.
Carrie: Carries Mario around without letting him fall.
Dottie: Makes Paper Mario Tiny.
Piccolo: Shoots Music Notes that will slow down the enemy when it hits, like the stopwatch item, only it lasts for less time.
Thudley: Floats around, Ground Pounding enemies for Mario.

Up Special
Uses Tornado Jump! It doesn't propel Mario into the air nearly as high, but it creates damaging tornados beside him. It does make him move up, though.

Down Special
Uses the Mystery item. Out of all the Smash Bros items that are on, it can randomly summon any of them, except for the smash ball. Assist Trophies, Special Flags, and slightly overpowered items are more rare.

FINAL SMASH
Mario makes each Star Spirits, Crystal Star, Pure Heart, and Royal Sticker appear in circles around him and this tune plays, and then he pretty much uses his Sweet Treat special. He throws multiple random projectiles of these special items as you aim with a reticle that you can move around. You press A to throw and they travel in a slight arc, but still are easy to hit and control with. When it starts and the items are around him, that damages enemies as well with lethal damage.​

Taunts

Up Taunt: Waves his arms in the air smiling, as a spotlight is over him, confetti is falling, and a crowd cheers.

Side Taunt: Gives a thumbs up toward the screen, and the text
appears beside him, with it's familiar sound effect.

Down Taunt: Goombella appears in front of him flipping through here tattle log, and Mario looks over her shoulder.
On the Battle Stage, it would be a codec like your idea, but that's something for Smash 5, not Smash 4 DLC. It's too much for 1 DLC.

Grab: Uses Thoreau to grab enemies from far away and pulls them in. He uses a Mushroom Sticker to hold them down.
Pummel: Uses the Eekhammer and whacks the enemy a bunch of times with his hammer
Up Throw: Uses a Spike Helmet sticker to through the enemy up by thrusting the spike upward.
Forward Throw: Uses the Slaphammer sticker and smacks the enemy forward.
Backward Throw: Throws Boomer behind them, and when he explodes, they launch behind Mario.
Down Throw: Jumps on enemies 5 quick times, and each time the text appears in it's order: Nice, Good, Great, Wonderful, Excellent! finishing at the last on with a strong jump.

Extras:
  • While Swimming, Mario is in his Boat Mode.
  • While running, Dashell will appear behind Mario, as well as a smoke trail.
  • His dodge makes him go into Paper Mode, with Slim flying above him. If the camera is turned, Mario leans to the side of the stage in his dodge. (Otherwise the would actually hit Mario easier!)
  • His Rolls makes him go into Tube Mode

Music!
Battle! (Paper Mario 64)
Battle! (The Thousand-Year Door)

Attack of the Koopa Bros.
Crystal King

Rawk Hawk Rock
X-Naut Fortress
The Smorgs!
The 65th Super Fun Quirk Quiz
Rogueport (Already in the game!)
We Believe in you, Mario!

4 Heroes Unite
Mr. L, Green Thunder!
Lineland Road
Swoon.exe
The Ultimate Show

Rampaging Din
Megasparkle Goomba

Gosh this is a lot of songs... Well the Paper Mario series does have awesome music, they could include all of them!! ...right?

Stage!

Battle Stage

At first glance it totally just seems like a flat stage. It is similar to final destination, but with WAY more intense changes and differences! You can fall off the edge in the, and it is closer to the bottom blast lines. Also, the background changes regularly.
The cardboard stands and background photos will change to areas from Paper Mario games! It can be random versions of these:

1. Rogueport
2. Rogeport Sewers
3. Glitz Pit
4. On top of the Excess Express (complete with fast moving rocks!)
5. X-Naut Fortress
6. Toad Town (64)
7. Flipside
8. Lineland Road
(No Sticker Star areas since it has it's own part on 3DS) (also console versions)
These have no effect on gameplay and are here for fun.

There are also a wide range of Hazards in this stage! Here is the list, spoiler'd to have a smaller space

Audience: These characters can appear in the seats watching the fight. They don't have that much effect, but one thing is that when a smash attack connections to someone, or even just a strong attack, they will go wild and have so much excitement!

They also have other effects too. They can throw items! They can throw rocks or empty soda cans that deal 5 damage if they hit, and can throw Mushrooms that heal 5 damage! They can throw it at anyone, but usually throw healing items at people who have high damage and/or fight a lot, and throw damaging items at people who don't fight with low health.

Boo: Sometimes, a boo will fly out and fly into someone, giving them a clear effect for 25 seconds.

Shy Guys: Sometimes they will jump out from the audience and walk toward an edge of the stage. If he makes it there, a big stage light will fall on whatever side he goes to. You can stop him by knocking him off the stage before he gets to the edge. It is extremely powerful and can K.O. at low damages.

X-Nauts: If someone has a high lead, they will have a ton of rocks and throw them all at who is winning, dealing 5 damage each. Up to 50 damage can be received if you do not get away from it!

Fog: This can appear onstage and make it so you can't see who is on the ground or what is happening.

It's the smallest chaotic stage.

Ω form obviously is pretty much the same thing, without hazards.

Kirby Hat, and I am pretty sure Artsy Omni made this in his Kirby Hat Project.

Kirby will his paper hat and his flat state.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
okay I made it
why you double posted?

Anyway, it lacks a final smash :( , a pummel and the side and up tilt. I was about to suggest spike helmet as up tilt....but you up throw is actually clever so...jsut check SS moves, you might find something.

other than this, no matter how this moveset do, I'm adding it in the OP. There;s really great work on the gorgeousness, except the banner on the top, the message box is fine for scaling, you don;t loose much anyway.

I never thought about the down smash, very clever :)

the neutral b custom 3 are kinda weird if I consider the other 2, it's liek you totally chnage the move instead of of derivating.

The partner mechanics does work....but I would frind it weird to need an hud for the bar to charge plus, 20 seconds is A LOT of time, like really long. i suggest 10 seconds, it;s kinda long still, but when you think about it, using koops for example does sound OP in FFA if it was only 5 seconds. 20 is like too much imo.

As for the attacks themselves, the partners does sounds fine...the pixl....feels weird. tbh, I don;t see the point of making paper mario tiny with a move.....idk it;s jsut.....weird.

But I really am not found of the items, I think it;s just overkill. See, for ffa,...ok i get the idea, but for 1v1 with items off, a rules that some players just WANT to have.....it's just a bit overkill. What I would suggest is to either cut it entirely for soemthing else, or just have some drivation and balnce stuff like a cutom that is eating an ultra shroom for like 20% heal but lags a lot....

And the way the selectable are implemented does feel a bit weird. You put the move selectable as well as the attack. What this means is imagine someone holding a controller, he will do side specilal, hold the button....what does the stick will do? If it can release it, it feels unatural and if it has to hold it.....it feels why do I have to hold? this is why I went for only one switchable with 2 moves slots and the neutral b for the switch. I find honestly 2 switchable to be overkill, especially because frankly,. the items are not as much improtant as the partners.

The items are more a.....how do I put this, use them as if it was only the best option. It;s like the throw idea I had, he will only use it if you uthrow...have a selectable one would imply that you have controls ont he items....but that's not the case, it depends on what you have. To me, an item switch doesn;t very well reflect him, but the partner does....except just revise a bit the pixl......or something else.

The throw are quite nice, but if you aim to revise the pixl, you mgiht want to find somethign else for the bthrow, because i see boomer do a great picl attacks.....btw, great uthrow.

So, could you please edit the post with utilt, side tilt, FS and pummel?

After, I'll just add it if you don;t wish to change anything after what I said.

TL;DR: please complete it and it;s pretty mcuh a good movesets, it;s like mine, but on a different perspective (like the supergyuard as dtilt.....woudl work), iot just got a bit overkill on the items and the way the swap is integrated might need a revision.

tw, THANK YOU for using ripped texture that I didn't uploaded, finalyl someone actually did effort from showing the original game (I talk about the audience, like everything is available on vg resources....even the sfx).

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
sorry I'll add those I forgot those

I usually have them on my mind, and I had ideas for nearly every single move. I guess those ones slipped out of my head before I posted. I have no idea how I forgot to post my final smash idea though...

As for the items... I get that it's overkill and I was worried about posting them, but I really wanted to include them in some way. But whatever, I can always edit it I guess...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

During 2013.... Paper Mario was one of my most wanted newcomers.
Fast foward to 2015 and my hope has been restored for this little guy.
I, the great Speedwagon supports Paper Mario.
Speedwagon believes in you Paper Mario!

EDIT:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Double post. ignore this.

Last edited by a moderator:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I was thinking about Paper Jam and you know one thing they could do that would so awesome I would insta buy the game?

In the plot, I would love if they acknowledges that paper Mario lived different adventures than mario.

What I mean by this is for example that Paper Mario talks about idk....anything related to his games and then mario would not know that. Or the opposite, soemthing like a flashback. Doing this would just be the best thing ever because it would mean that canonically, they aren't the same person which is huge for the series now :)

Like, if you see the references in M&L, you could say that the mario is the same, but because of how standalone Paper Mario seems to be in his series, you could have a plot showing that these 2 characters have a different past.

And it would also help us because we could claim they had a different past further emphasing his differences :)

I want to know how do you guys would want Paper Mario to act directly with the plot? It's really clear that he would be because you need plot devices to come to controlling 2 marios, but I want to know what plot devices ideas you had that would emphases Paper Mario.

With that, some replies :)

sorry I'll add those I forgot those

I usually have them on my mind, and I had ideas for nearly every single move. I guess those ones slipped out of my head before I posted. I have no idea how I forgot to post my final smash idea though...

As for the items... I get that it's overkill and I was worried about posting them, but I really wanted to include them in some way. But whatever, I can always edit it I guess...
Well, do remember that although, it;s nice to be
he is not a complex character that much. In fact, he's very simple, it's the way you would master the strategy that would take time to learn. The problem is tbh, just consider the items to be....very not much important. Partners, you can use them permanently as for items, they are one time uses....you could easily not have any items in the set and be fine.

I knew I forgot something! I'm not on that support list yet :lol:

Can you fix that problem, @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 ?
Just remember, I only add people on EXPLICIT request because I had some problems with assuming people supports while they didn't really (the current list might have that problem now ). You're added now, but I tell this to everybody who isn;t on the list.

During 2013.... Paper Mario was one of my most wanted newcomers.
Fast foward to 2015 and my hope has been restored for this little guy.
I, the great Speedwagon supports Paper Mario.
Speedwagon believes in you Paper Mario!
Aren't we all? :)

You;re added int he list, btw, for people who supports him, I really want to see what you told in the ballot if you voted for him. idk, but I really see people that says they voted for him, but I'm very interested with the reasons box. I posted this already, but here;s mine containing exactly 500 characters:

Screenshot from 2015-04-02 20:10:13.png

Granted, I only talked about potential, but to be clear, that was the point. My goal is that the dev would get ideas by reading the vote and then it might be how they would get the interesting potential he has. Anyway, I think the way he would be quirky is kinda implied :)

So, if you could give your votes, that would be nice for other supporters (like me!) to read :) And yes this was a pm64 reference :)

COME ON AND.....
....just don;t double post here, it;s....not really well seen here unless you have a very good reason.

Though, I do see this becoming a thing :)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can I join the support group? I just started playing the original Paper Mario and I absolutely love it.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Already a Rock Cover by a really talented dude for the Paper Jam boss theme!
Wow, that's pretty awesome! I didn't expect anyone to do something like that so soon.
Looks like I have some catching up to do. The support still seems great, and the thread has a catchphrase now! Awesome. :laugh:

Whirlpool

Fre$h
Loving this support thread! I feel that Paper Mario has a decent chance to get in Smash 4.
If any Mario character would get into the game, in my opinion it would be Paper Mario. My heart is still set on Dixie but I still have voted for Paper Mario.

I can't wait to see what happens!

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
I want Paper Mario in Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as a playable fighting character.

Top Bottom