• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

shane3x

Saint of Swords
first, there;s people that actually like dr mario and second, it's still not a really good comparison because both can be in the roster for completely different reasons that honestly aren't related to each other. We just got a crossover with mario and paper mario, there's no problem to have dr mario and paper mario.....
By that logic everyone and everything should be in the game because everyone and everything has at least one person that likes it. Comparatively Nintendo has so many more franchises and characters that are far more popular than Doctor Mario. Why Doctor Mario can't just be a skin with his specials being customs. When he wasn't in Brawl no-one was up in arms that he got cut.

Since the DLC train started Sakurai has said that they arent going to be working on that many more characters, and with 6 DLC Placeholder blank character slots added, with 4 being used so far it would appear that new chracters as DLC is now quite limited, If Doctor Mario wasn't wasting a slot that could have been 3 extra spaces instead of now 2.

The Cross-over is between the Mario & Luigi Series and the Paper Mario Series. Doctor Mario has absolutely nothing to do with that and only further reinforces why he is so out of place in the game.

If and When Smash 5 comes around, Doctor Mario has little justification for being there over Paper Mario since character slots aren't unlimited.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
So I have a question for us Paper Mario supporters. If he made it, what iteration / design would you like Paper Mario to be in?:

Paper Mario (Old, Dark, and Rough Paper):

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door / Super Paper Mario (Modern Printer Paper):

Paper Mario Sticker Star (Cardboard/Fuzzy-like HD Paper [fitting with Smash's color style]):

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Outlined HD Paper):

I personally prefer the newest one. Digging the double outline

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So I have a question for us Paper Mario supporters. If he made it, what iteration / design would you like Paper Mario to be in?:

Paper Mario Sticker Star (Cardboard/Fuzzy-like HD Paper [fitting with Smash's color style]):

Still TTYD/SPM/SS, yeeah, the third one was never made playable and it's the one I like the least.

Pm64 is nice and the paper jam one is actually odd because of the double outline. The white outline will cause the character to merge in the bg instead of standing out (he wants to stand out too :) ). It doesn't look odd in m&l because it's for consistency with the enemies.

The TTYD/SPMSS is the most know and imo, the most fitting :)

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Still TTYD/SPM/SS, yeeah, the third one was never made playable and it's the one I like the least.

Pm64 is nice and the paper jam one is actually odd because of the double outline. The white outline will cause the character to merge in the bg instead of standing out (he wants to stand out too :) ). It doesn't look odd in m&l because it's for consistency with the enemies.

The TTYD/SPMSS is the most know and imo, the most fitting :)
True! They did just go with that one in the end for sticker star anyway. The art itself was more for promotional uses :p

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

Idk why, but I really like the Sticker Star design. I like the light colors and Mario actually looks adorable. But if I had to guess, something like TTYD and SPM would be the design that gets in.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think paper jam is a place holder for paper mario wiiu, meaning a ttyd-esque game if they listen to fan requests. blwser finally talks again, this is NOT a paper mario game, its just a crossover, im still gonna get it because I love mario and luigi and paper mario, was I added to the list? I requested it, I didn't read yet :p, he's my second most wanted, I voted for Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario, also... any chance for gc vc? I never had a gc, I had a ps2 then a wii and a wiiu id assume ttyd would be one of the first, since paper mario was one of the first vc for the n64 and superstar saga was one of the first gba games on the vc, hes much more likely now :estatic:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Idk why, but I really like the Sticker Star design. I like the light colors and Mario actually looks adorable. But if I had to guess, something like TTYD and SPM would be the design that gets in.
The reasons i don't like it is the gradient.....gradient like this are like not paper mario at all.....

I honestly think paper jam is a place holder for paper mario wiiu, meaning a ttyd-esque game if they listen to fan requests. blwser finally talks again, this is NOT a paper mario game, its just a crossover, im still gonna get it because I love mario and luigi and paper mario, was I added to the list? I requested it, I didn't read yet :p, he's my second most wanted, I voted for Bandana Dee, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario, also... any chance for gc vc? I never had a gc, I had a ps2 then a wii and a wiiu id assume ttyd would be one of the first, since paper mario was one of the first vc for the n64 and superstar saga was one of the first gba games on the vc, hes much more likely now :estatic:
You were added in the list.....I know it;s a pain to find, just ctrl + f. Still better than the cluster before of having one user per line....once we hit 100, it was too annoying.

As for the game, check my status, I quite a bit changed my mind on the game because I realised that dream team gameplay is average, add Paper Mario and it;s basically awesome. I'm really hyped for it and I can;t stop rewatching the footage.

As for GC on VC, here;s the technical aspect:

I think it might happen. I got the luck to grab a GC adapter for 20$ and what I notice is that the adapter isn't suited specifically for smash, but it can use every features of the GC controller and this includes the analog triggers which are not used in ssb4.

The WiiU can emulate quite well a wii but the GC has a similar hardware making it possible to be emulated. The reasons is the WiiU uses a similar architecture than the GC and wii uses. The fact that wii on vc is a thing (please, I want spm on vc....) shows me that they might want to do it.

The problem is we cannot expect when it would happen so it;s basically, assume I said nothing until we get mind blown in a direct or something.

But it's definitely possible, you have controller supports already and the gc can be emulated. If it happens, then TTYD is almost guaranteed to be there, I checked the sales figure of TTYD and around 7% of GC owner bought the game, that;s a lot because usually for the series, it's 4-5% and remember that it;s millions of copies we're talking.

And pm64 being on vc early is a good point actually.

Though, if you actually want to play TTYD, I'll be honest, you might want to just buy system + game. I know, it's expensive, but it's totally worth it (plus, the gc has so many great games :) ). Or you happen to have an old wii in this case, buy a gc disc. The other solution is emulation, but you REALLY need a good pc and even then, I still don;t recommend it because using it with a keyboard is A PAIN.....try to spin a stick with arrows.....now if you have a controller, that changes thing (the gc adapter does work on pc and dolphin though).

This is why I want so much TTYD on vc, it;s a game that deserve so much to have accessibility....

Also, I found another video this is an hour of paper jam:

Now, the most interesting part is a complete view of the bottom screen and the freaking button on the bottom screen is shown: it's a guide button, tutorials inside battles.

I added it to the playlist :)

Currently, I am trying to shift our focus on how i present the support of him because we basically are free honestly. Like, i updated the OP and as you can see, there;s not much to explain on why the another mario argument isn\t much solid anymore.

Like before this all happened, what i was trying with this thread is to shock people by showing that EVEN if he's mario, he wouldn't be that much in smash. This is why I used the current slogan, to serve as a contradiction to make people come here. The problem is it's no longer necessary, we got solid proof that you can;t even say he's really mario, mario is more his origin, but not him.

It;s like, I had to do this before going anywhere, but this hindered me a lot more. Now, I think we should focus on why him instead of trying to justify him not being redundancy. I think it;s clear for most now that he wouldn't be much redundancy.

So, I will think about this in the future, but we basically need to change our focus on supporting him. The first thing I want to do is change the slogan, I think we can go better than that with how I feel free now.

If you have any ideas or just want to share your thoughts on how you perceive his uniqueness, then please reply to this, it would be appreciated :)

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I have never seen this thread go second page. Eyo supporters?! Where you at?!
Here!

I'm in love with Sticker Star's. If I were in Sakurai's position I'd first put in Paper Mario, then be REALLY tempted to use his Sticker Star design and render his hammer in 3D, just like the promotional art.

But I think the most fitting for a game like Smash would be the last one. It makes Mario truly look Paper and would definitely differentiate him from looking simply like a more cartoony, 2-D Mario.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Looks like you don't check the thread often ironically, it used to be much worse and getting on second page is usuall for this thread.

But tbh, we are getting much more vies than usual, thanks to getting of THAT argument...

Here!

I'm in love with Sticker Star's. If I were in Sakurai's position I'd first put in Paper Mario, then be REALLY tempted to use his Sticker Star design and render his hammer in 3D, just like the promotional art.

But I think the most fitting for a game like Smash would be the last one. It makes Mario truly look Paper and would definitely differentiate him from looking simply like a more cartoony, 2-D Mario.
Someone needs to explain the gorgeous part of SS design, it completely defeats the purpose of paper mario style. Seriously, not using the bright color is HUGELY dowbgrading and the really high amount of gradient looks WAY less attractive than any other design, it's not even surprising why it's not even in any games, it makes no sense. Btw, hammer in 3d WHHHHHHYYYYY?

Btw, they all look like 2d cartoon mario....it's the whole purpose of him, to be attractive by using his paper form to make you feel he's printed on paper, YOU WANT to make him look like that. The only reasons he has white outline is design consistency with paper jam. In his game it wou.d extremely odd....

Seriously, the SS paper mario really doesn't look like him tbh.

I actually tried to figure out his personality and I came up with something very interesting: he just loves confidence.

Let me explain, him being in front of an audience of 300 people is not only fine with him, but he definitely seems to love that. He's so much confident in is high mobility skills that he actually wants to share this feel. I really feel this is the definition of his quirkiness, he show off his confidence by doing the STYLISH! and other stuff mainly thumbing up. He wants his audience to feel confident for him to please them which actually pleases him in return. I interpret it like this because of the SP mechanic, even pm64 tells us that this power comes from the energy of people's wish which Paper Mario gains.

You see the philosophy of this character now? He wants to have his enemies feels his confidence as well as his audience. This is why it's not just a matter of being strong, it's a metter of showing you wanted to win in the first place. It goes beyond his potential, but how he uses it which gave him a really unique feel if it was ever reflected into smash.

And that is actually bringing me back to these artwork, every single one can match him looking gorgeous except the SS one, he would merge with the bg, you wouldn't even see him stands out, but in a game like smash, he SHOULD be able to stand out.

I'm trying to find a new slogan idea, it goes beyond infinite, it has its unique feel outside of its diversity.

Anyone has his own idea of his personality as a character?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Looks like you don't check the thread often ironically, it used to be much worse and getting on second page is usuall for this thread.

But tbh, we are getting much more vies than usual, thanks to getting of THAT argument...

Someone needs to explain the gorgeous part of SS design, it completely defeats the purpose of paper mario style. Seriously, not using the bright color is HUGELY dowbgrading and the really high amount of gradient looks WAY less attractive than any other design, it's not even surprising why it's not even in any games, it makes no sense. Btw, hammer in 3d WHHHHHHYYYYY?

Btw, they all look like 2d cartoon mario....it's the whole purpose of him, to be attractive by using his paper form to make you feel he's printed on paper, YOU WANT to make him look like that. The only reasons he has white outline is design consistency with paper jam. In his game it wou.d extremely odd....

Seriously, the SS paper mario really doesn't look like him tbh.

I actually tried to figure out his personality and I came up with something very interesting: he just loves confidence.

Let me explain, him being in front of an audience of 300 people is not only fine with him, but he definitely seems to love that. He's so much confident in is high mobility skills that he actually wants to share this feel. I really feel this is the definition of his quirkiness, he show off his confidence by doing the STYLISH! and other stuff mainly thumbing up. He wants his audience to feel confident for him to please them which actually pleases him in return. I interpret it like this because of the SP mechanic, even pm64 tells us that this power comes from the energy of people's wish which Paper Mario gains.

You see the philosophy of this character now? He wants to have his enemies feels his confidence as well as his audience. This is why it's not just a matter of being strong, it's a metter of showing you wanted to win in the first place. It goes beyond his potential, but how he uses it which gave him a really unique feel if it was ever reflected into smash.

And that is actually bringing me back to these artwork, every single one can match him looking gorgeous except the SS one, he would merge with the bg, you wouldn't even see him stands out, but in a game like smash, he SHOULD be able to stand out.

I'm trying to find a new slogan idea, it goes beyond infinite, it has its unique feel outside of its diversity.

Anyone has his own idea of his personality as a character?
He's also a ladies man :p

Also, the SS design sort of interprets him as an arts and crafts construction paper project, with every piece of him put together to make his body. Personally, this is pretty appealing to my eyes. That and some music are the only good aspects of SS for me.

D

Deleted member

I can't believe I forgot to vote for Paper Mario on the Smash Ballot until now! (I would have him in my signature but my Bandana Dee picture is too big). If I could I'd have both, but I'm probably going to change it to something else anyway.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Could you change my moveset in the second post so the Final Smash reads:
Papercraft Mario: Paper Mario gets on Papercraft Mario and mows down enemies in front of him before finishing by throwing the Mario of the stand.

I know it got messy in transit from my post to your copying, but if you could do this for me that would be nice (even though its probably enough for me just to make this post).

And when Paper Jam gets released, there better be a bunch of "Paper Space/Slam Jam" memes going around with some mixes of Space Jam and the best music tracks.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
He's also a ladies man :p

Also, the SS design sort of interprets him as an arts and crafts construction paper project, with every piece of him put together to make his body. Personally, this is pretty appealing to my eyes. That and some music are the only good aspects of SS for me.
The problem is that although the design is original (it actually even fits a lot the theme of SS), everything we know of the series is not fitting with it.

Just the hammer, JUST that is really weird. Like remember that he;s supposed to feel light as a paper, when I look at SS, i feel a very dense paper compared to the other design where it feels to be a very light one. The hammer itself does not feel to be ever printed on a paper removing what made the hammer so good to look at.

Look, I'm actually going to show you why it just looks odd. I'm going to take the battlefield from ssb4, and I will do a collage of both TTYD and SS design.

btf paper mario.jpg

This is of course odd because both of them were literally pasted (and I left the scale a bit too high\), but I don't think I really need to explain a lot on why the one on the right stands out a lot more.

The point is this matters a lot considering mario is in the game. Mario, I can definitely assure you merges perfectly with the background, like he could almost be part of the scenery. That;s fine, he doesn't need much to stand out, but near paper mario.....this is where paper mario needs to stand out. After all, if toon link stands out more from link mainly because of the shape and artstyle, Paper Mario should definitely be standing out. In fact, paper jam uses a similar design to the right one BECAUSE he needs to stand out.

And the other problem you gain is this: if any stages for paper mario ever existed, the left design would fail to contrast with the colors while the right one will contrast nicely because the whole series uses the design that is used on the right, the left was never used at all. I can definitely see the left design feel odd in the 3ds SS stage while the right one would contrast with the bright green of the stage. In fact, the stage is so bright that it leads me to think the left design would not be used anyway.

But the biggest problem you get is a bit of what I explained: the SS design does not show his true character feel. Paper Mario should feels light, very mobile and agile. The right design feels to be simple and I feel he;s very thin just by looking at him. in action, this would be even better as the thinness would make a lot of sense.

But for the SS design, just imagine in your head that design, power bouncing on an enemy and doing a bunch of stylish poses including spinning int he air.....does it feel.....idk weird? Just imagine both doing a thumb up, which one would you feel that express more confidence? I can't help but think the difference is huge. The SS design would feel more heavy and him being that much light and mobile would somehow feel that something is wrong.

Like, I get that the design ALONE might bring something interesting, but if you consider what Paper Mario is supposed to reflect as a character and in smash, the only design that doesn't do it is the SS one. the pm64 one is honestly debatable, he does feel light and thin, it might just need a bit more brightness, but then, you start to make it look like TTYD.....

Do you see now why they kept the exact same design? One feels like almost cardboard which is a lot more heavy than a paper and most importantly, you can;t do as much with a cardboard than a paper.

Like, having a different design should not just look good, it should also follow the character. Here, the SS design seems to hinder a lot more Paper Mario and even worse, removes most of his appeal. We never saw this design in action which is why it might not look obvious to you, but if you just imagine in your head, it does start to look odd.

I legit expect nintendo to completely forget this design tbh. I think there;s a big reason why they never actually build the game around it.

I can't believe I forgot to vote for Paper Mario on the Smash Ballot until now! (I would have him in my signature but my Bandana Dee picture is too big). If I could I'd have both, but I'm probably going to change it to something else anyway.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Could you change my moveset in the second post so the Final Smash reads:
Papercraft Mario: Paper Mario gets on Papercraft Mario and mows down enemies in front of him before finishing by throwing the Mario of the stand.

I know it got messy in transit from my post to your copying, but if you could do this for me that would be nice (even though its probably enough for me just to make this post).

And when Paper Jam gets released, there better be a bunch of "Paper Space/Slam Jam" memes going around with some mixes of Space Jam and the best music tracks.
I think the post was nicely copied though. i edited the post so it now features that final smash :)

As for the vote if you voted for him, could you show us what you wrote? I'm always interested to see what people writes in these and I only saw a few of them.

and guess what? that meme is done already:

Not much, but it's a start :)

On a side note, I'm finally completing the spm recipes and I think I might want to play the game again. Like, I got so hype for paper jam that I want to play Paper Mario :)

Especially with my post I did on his personality, I feel I honestly nailed it, he does feel like this to me :) plus, I realized I miss so much the awesome writing of spm.....

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
This thread seems pretty active from what I'm seeing. That's pretty awesome! :grin:
I bought M&L dream team recently so sorry for the delay
Enjoy. That game's probably going to take forever to finish (at least I know it did for me)! It felt much longer than Bowser's Inside Story. I'd imagine Paper Jam will be just the same, if not, larger. I'm not all that surprised about the release window.
Here!

I never considered them using that design. Perhaps they would, as he'd look just as out-of-place in Smash as well, since he won't be in his own world. I think it'd be kinda cool! From what I've seen, it kinda adds to his character. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This thread seems pretty active from what I'm seeing. That's pretty awesome! :grin:

Enjoy. That game's probably going to take forever to finish (at least I know it did for me)! It felt much longer than Bowser's Inside Story. I'd imagine Paper Jam will be just the same, if not, larger. I'm not all that surprised about the release window.

I never considered them using that design. Perhaps they would, as he'd look just as out-of-place in Smash as well, since he won't be in his own world. I think it'd be kinda cool! From what I've seen, it kinda adds to his character. :)
Please read my post above, It really doesn;t fit the character much and in fact, removes most of his feel.

I already made to the final boss but I would have to grind so I gave up as I have other priorities. Clocked 33 hours, this is indeed very long.

Basically, it was worth the 28$, but I still think it wasn;t as much memorable as I thought it would be. I just don;t like much the series, but it felt an average game, if you add Paper Mario stuff to it, this would probably make the game awesome honestly :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Plz...no more 3rd parties..unless it Banjo & Kazooie....for a very good reason....
?
??
???

super-paper-mario-4e2620f5e604c.png

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Euh....sorry to act as rude, but are you sure you\re talking in the right thread?

Like, It's Intelligent System (second party and they made the Fire Emblem series) who made the character and they are developing the series. He's not third party......

Seriously.....what the?

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Please read my post above, It really doesn;t fit the character much and in fact, removes most of his feel.

I already made to the final boss but I would have to grind so I gave up as I have other priorities. Clocked 33 hours, this is indeed very long.

Basically, it was worth the 28$, but I still think it wasn;t as much memorable as I thought it would be. I just don;t like much the series, but it felt an average game, if you add Paper Mario stuff to it, this would probably make the game awesome honestly :)
I figure they'll leave the feel to his animations, attacks and stuff. I can see the outline merging with a few backgrounds, but not as that much of a problem. I can't say much, on the other hand, since I haven't tried Paper Jam. Hopefully they'll have a demo like they did with Dream Team.
Already?! I-It took me over 90 hours to finish the game. e_e
Well, I hope you didn't blaze through it too fast! I thought quite the opposite, actually. Yoko Shimomura did a super-fantastic job with the music in this one, the art style is a favorite of mine, and the writing's still as good as it has usually been. Mount Pajamaja is hard for me to forget. :laugh: It's definitely one of my favorite games.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
?
??
???

View attachment 58379

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Euh....sorry to act as rude, but are you sure you\re talking in the right thread?

Like, It's Intelligent System (second party and they made the Fire Emblem series) who made the character and they are developing the series. He's not third party......

Seriously.....what the?
Oops...must have quoted something
Wrong...thats weird...
Where is my Paper Mario WiiU game by the way.

I really wish paper mario got in over Roslina....
It would be beyond overkill now imo..as cool as it would be i love paper mario but i dunno...i only play as heavies so i would prefer petey piranna or dry bowser...but yh....Paper mario over Roslina or Doctor mario anyday..
Hell i wouldnt be mad if he still got in now as DLC but i know alot of people would go wow..... ''Super Smash Mario Bros..'' lol but he would be VERY LIGHT !

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I figure they'll leave the feel to his animations, attacks and stuff. I can see the outline merging with a few backgrounds, but not as that much of a problem. I can't say much, on the other hand, since I haven't tried Paper Jam. Hopefully they'll have a demo like they did with Dream Team.
Already?! I-It took me over 90 hours to finish the game. e_e
Well, I hope you didn't blaze through it too fast! I thought quite the opposite, actually. Yoko Shimomura did a super-fantastic job with the music in this one, the art style is a favorite of mine, and the writing's still as good as it has usually been. Mount Pajamaja is hard for me to forget. :laugh: It's definitely one of my favorite games.
I think I might talk about it because it's related to Paper Mario.

The music is simply because they don;t vary that much and the notes are quite complex. This is just not the type of music I liked, only a VERY few music left a strong impression. I just love a lot more the Paper Mario music, they feel extremely different.

I ran away after a point because it was just annoying how long the dodges were.....way too long, it's just annoying as the challenge sometime felt hard for the wrong reasons, but other times, it felt hard for good reasons.

What I mainly want to tel is the writing: I finally found why I do not enjoy the M&L writing much and I'm hooked with Paper Mario. The humor of M&L is mostly random and weird stuff taken out of proportion. The thing is, it's just funny because of being absurd. It;s not the type of thing I laugh because I'm more of a logical guy.

Paper Mario humor is really based on pointing silly logics and even presenting it with a connection to the real life. This is the type of humor I love, some jokes were like that in DT, but most of the text was not like this. A good example from TTYD is the credit card fraud and in spm, ch3-4, they are both silly logics that when you think about the fact you';re playing a Paper Mario game referencing the real world like this, it's just something that I get instantly.

The point is Paper Jam so far seems to be a mix of both. The best so far is the ventriloquism joke :)

but like, I know the mountain text should be funny, I never found anything funny tbh.....except the fountain because...you know :)

As for the music in paper jam....I don;t expect to be hooked, it matches a lot more DT style....

Oops...must have quoted something
Wrong...thats weird...
Where is my Paper Mario WiiU game by the way.

I really wish paper mario got in over Roslina....
It would be beyond overkill now imo..as cool as it would be i love paper mario but i dunno...i only play as heavies so i would prefer petey piranna or dry bowser...but yh....Paper mario over Roslina or Doctor mario anyday..
Hell i wouldnt be mad if he still got in now as DLC but i know alot of people would go wow..... ''Super Smash Mario Bros..'' lol but he would be VERY LIGHT !
First question: don;t worry, it;s honestly even more likely because of Paper Jam that it happens. I really think it's coming since even the James leak is still alive (almost 2 years from now). My theory is Paper Jam is the transition to it, after what happened with SS.....I think it would make sense.

And I honestly disagree, Rosalina should have got before him tbh. Dr mario, I honestly think it makes sense considering his vet status. And i would like to redirect you to the overrepping counterargument in the OP, it;s not overrepping much, it's actually improving it considering he brings more diversity and with he recognition the series has now, it feels an addition that makes sense.

As for being light.....well, that's you, but of course he would be light, that;s his character. I personally I don;t like playing heavy characters, but I can tell you I would prefer far more paper Mario than my current main G&W. Though, usually, you don;t really support because the playstyle would suit you but because you would want his playstyle as you would like it. So, it;s fine if you're neutral, i don;t think him being light is much of a problem however, given how he feels, i think it has the potential to be a good character :)

As for the [people complaining.....I got over with them. Seriously, i think he;s a character that people would love when shown, but remember that Paper Jam defining him as his own entity helps too. I think it should be fine, of course there will be salt, every time someone is announced it happens so.....just let it go :)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think I might talk about it because it's related to Paper Mario.

The music is simply because they don;t vary that much and the notes are quite complex. This is just not the type of music I liked, only a VERY few music left a strong impression. I just love a lot more the Paper Mario music, they feel extremely different.

I ran away after a point because it was just annoying how long the dodges were.....way too long, it's just annoying as the challenge sometime felt hard for the wrong reasons, but other times, it felt hard for good reasons.

What I mainly want to tel is the writing: I finally found why I do not enjoy the M&L writing much and I'm hooked with Paper Mario. The humor of M&L is mostly random and weird stuff taken out of proportion. The thing is, it's just funny because of being absurd. It;s not the type of thing I laugh because I'm more of a logical guy.

Paper Mario humor is really based on pointing silly logics and even presenting it with a connection to the real life. This is the type of humor I love, some jokes were like that in DT, but most of the text was not like this. A good example from TTYD is the credit card fraud and in spm, ch3-4, they are both silly logics that when you think about the fact you';re playing a Paper Mario game referencing the real world like this, it's just something that I get instantly.

The point is Paper Jam so far seems to be a mix of both. The best so far is the ventriloquism joke :)

but like, I know the mountain text should be funny, I never found anything funny tbh.....except the fountain because...you know :)

As for the music in paper jam....I don;t expect to be hooked, it matches a lot more DT style....

First question: don;t worry, it;s honestly even more likely because of Paper Jam that it happens. I really think it's coming since even the James leak is still alive (almost 2 years from now). My theory is Paper Jam is the transition to it, after what happened with SS.....I think it would make sense.

And I honestly disagree, Rosalina should have got before him tbh. Dr mario, I honestly think it makes sense considering his vet status. And i would like to redirect you to the overrepping counterargument in the OP, it;s not overrepping much, it's actually improving it considering he brings more diversity and with he recognition the series has now, it feels an addition that makes sense.

As for being light.....well, that's you, but of course he would be light, that;s his character. I personally I don;t like playing heavy characters, but I can tell you I would prefer far more paper Mario than my current main G&W. Though, usually, you don;t really support because the playstyle would suit you but because you would want his playstyle as you would like it. So, it;s fine if you're neutral, i don;t think him being light is much of a problem however, given how he feels, i think it has the potential to be a good character :)

As for the [people complaining.....I got over with them. Seriously, i think he;s a character that people would love when shown, but remember that Paper Jam defining him as his own entity helps too. I think it should be fine, of course there will be salt, every time someone is announced it happens so.....just let it go :)
Ofc i know he would be light it makes complete sense just that i like heavies so its cool also i know how unique Paper mario can be and if he does gets added he will be unlike Toon link who should be aswell.

Also its abit of topic but how good is M&L Dream team? Anyone?? Compared to the other games? Personally i would rank them like this.

1. Superstar Saga

2. Bowser's inside story (very close 2nd i love bowser so much so it maybe #1 for me but thats some bias in it lol)

3. Partners in time.

PS: i Really want that Paper Mario stage on the 3DS to come to WiiU...also Coneria...and Magicent...

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ofc i know he would be light it makes complete sense just that i like heavies so its cool also i know how unique Paper mario can be and if he does gets added he will be unlike Toon link who should be aswell.

Also its abit of topic but how good is M&L Dream team? Anyone?? Compared to the other games? Personally i would rank them like this.

1. Superstar Saga

2. Bowser's inside story (very close 2nd i love bowser so much so it maybe #1 for me but thats some bias in it lol)

3. Partners in time.

PS: i Really want that Paper Mario stage on the 3DS to come to WiiU...also Coneria...and Magicent...
I can;t answer much for M&L tbh other than it felt a lot more playable than superstar saga which i got frustrated (the leader switch and modes switch mostly).

But this is indeed a bit off topic....

I do not want nor think would make sense to see the existing stage on WiiU. The WiiU stage shoudl be specifically aimed towards the consoel games and in there.....there's a WHOLE lot better option. The best 2 ideas are the glitz pit and the theater from TTYD, but you could sort of get the glitz pit part in the Theater. I made a really long section on possible ideas for the theater in the OP, I really want this cause it sounds so awesome :)

Like, that stage should stay on 3ds and WiiU having a different one. The 3ds stage is slightly TTYD and mainly SS, the only game of the series released on 3ds.
unless they do weird stuff like porting the stage and with a different one, but 2 stages is so much of a stretch, might as well just have the Theater :)

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Hopefully the trend for newcomers getting a new stage fits the question. Although Ryu is the only DLC newcomer we have, he got his own stage. If Daisy gets in over Paper Mario, I can't see a new stage being put, but if Paper Mario gets in, it would be a travesty if they did not put a stage. And I'm talking the STAGE stage B] from Paper Mario TTYD

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Uhh no....Not to be rude but Rayman is not even close to B&K
Plus Ubisoft are ********
....guys, you are both off topic, please.....

Hopefully the trend for newcomers getting a new stage fits the question. Although Ryu is the only DLC newcomer we have, he got his own stage. If Daisy gets in over Paper Mario, I can't see a new stage being put, but if Paper Mario gets in, it would be a travesty if they did not put a stage. And I'm talking the STAGE stage B] from Paper Mario TTYD
I call it the theater, no confusion :)

But I really do see a stage for him if playable. The potential is so huge and i would spam that stage online :)

One thing I never thought is having a stage from spm.....there might be some stuff to look into, but I would like an spm stage.....not that it;s likely but does anyone thought of anything on that matter?

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Now that Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam is announced, I could see some battle elements from M&L being a part of Paper Mario's moveset.

Maybe Mario and Luigi could come together for team attacks?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Now that Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam is announced, I could see some battle elements from M&L being a part of Paper Mario's moveset.

Maybe Mario and Luigi could come together for team attacks?
ouf, this will not happen tbh.

Like, remember that Paper Mario is supposed to rep his series and even better, that series has nothing to do with m&L. Like, it makes no sense to have M&L stuff for Paper Mario if he's not even supposed to rep M&L.

Plus, why having mario and luigi with him? They are already in the game and why not the partners?

I';m legit confused that it's possible, it really defeats its purpose.....

Could you check the movesets on the second posts? These fits him A LOT better. It;s not like say DK was in a tennis game that he would have tennis moves.....same for Paper Mario in M&l, it makes no sense to have M&KL moves.....if the moves ARE fitting from M&L, maybe, but so far.....there;s really nothing tbh.....maybe the papercraft, but this is a huge stretch considering the special moves he actually do in his games.....

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
ouf, this will not happen tbh.

Like, remember that Paper Mario is supposed to rep his series and even better, that series has nothing to do with m&L. Like, it makes no sense to have M&L stuff for Paper Mario if he's not even supposed to rep M&L.

Plus, why having mario and luigi with him? They are already in the game and why not the partners?

I';m legit confused that it's possible, it really defeats its purpose.....

Could you check the movesets on the second posts? These fits him A LOT better. It;s not like say DK was in a tennis game that he would have tennis moves.....same for Paper Mario in M&l, it makes no sense to have M&KL moves.....if the moves ARE fitting from M&L, maybe, but so far.....there;s really nothing tbh.....maybe the papercraft, but this is a huge stretch considering the special moves he actually do in his games.....
It was just a thought.

I actually would prefer something from his older games.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I know I missed the discussion, but if Paper Mario got in I would like him to use the Sticker Star promo art style and have his body be like layered paper and bend a bit/flip like he does in his games. Give him some depth/substance in design.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
One thing I never thought is having a stage from spm.....there might be some stuff to look into, but I would like an spm stage.....not that it;s likely but does anyone thought of anything on that matter?
I could see it being the final boss stage with Dimentio, Count Bleck, Mimi, and O'Chunks being hazards to the stage. Pretty bland in terms of looks, but I could see it being interesting

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Pardon the double post, but in terms of a realistic moveset, do you guys think that Sakurai will actually make Paper Mario utilize his partners in previous games + pixls? I would honestly love to see that, but I feel like Sakurai will find a way around it and just make Paper Mario with his hammer, possibly stickers, and specials that don't use partners :\

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I could see it being the final boss stage with Dimentio, Count Bleck, Mimi, and O'Chunks being hazards to the stage. Pretty bland in terms of looks, but I could see it being interesting
....yeah, I think we can find a better looking stage tbh....but O'chunk as hazards = DO IT!

Seriously I like him :)

Pardon the double post, but in terms of a realistic moveset, do you guys think that Sakurai will actually make Paper Mario utilize his partners in previous games + pixls? I would honestly love to see that, but I feel like Sakurai will find a way around it and just make Paper Mario with his hammer, possibly stickers, and specials that don't use partners :\
My philosophy of Paper Mario is that his partners are essential to him. If you look his games, they really are a big part of him, I in fact have a very hard time to see him without his partners, it took Doopliss to do it....

I do think they would appear somehow. I just have a hard time to not have them. Remove them and you remove a really huge part of him. I feel his hammer is as essential as his partners actually.

The problem being that I think he;s more than just hammers jumps and stickers. I really think that he trust his partners a lot in his games and the opposite is true. I do interpret them as being quite essential.

Like i don;t see him without his trusty hammer, i do not see him without his trusty partners. It;s just how I see it and i do know it's possible, it would bring a lot of interesting playstyle instead of just hammers.

The proof is just imagine TTYD playing only with doing only defense on the partners turn.....you might get into problems actually.

I don;t think he has that much relation with the Pixl which is why I don;t put them in the specils but fixed move. Tbh, if you don;t count tippi, all the pxils are more utilities than aid, Tippi is special because she's emotional. Whcih is why it's for stuff like grab and shield, that fits well.

But without partners.....that it's hard to imagine. i do see stickers in some standards, but I don;t see the mvoeset being entirely hammers and stickers, imo, he would loose a bit of his charms :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I see some are digging the "paper white" outline in the new art. Do you think they added that to help differentiate the paper world characters? Maybe they thought that some may get confused...? I don't know.

Personally, I still prefer the Sticker Star look, but I like all of them so I'd be fine with any. I love the first Paper Mario, but I think it's the worst in terms of Paper Mario's art. can't really complain though, I mean, it's the first and they improved from that.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I see some are digging the "paper white" outline in the new art. Do you think they added that to help differentiate the paper world characters? Maybe they thought that some may get confused...? I don't know.

Personally, I still prefer the Sticker Star look, but I like all of them so I'd be fine with any. I love the first Paper Mario, but I think it's the worst in terms of Paper Mario's art. can't really complain though, I mean, it's the first and they improved from that.
i guess I didn't made it detailed, but here;s my theory.

Here's a screencap of paper jam footage:

Screenshot from 2015-06-25 21:14:12.png

Do you see the white thing for every Paper Mario characters?

Imagine if this was black.....it would be awful.

The reasons it's essential is it tells you that they have the copies on. It gives the impression to see different layer bundled together.

Since it doesn't have to do with him alone in ssb.....i don;t think that outline is necessary. Essentially, it's like they used the usual design, they just adapted it.

Now, I really don't expect his copies to be a move in smash, but if it was, they would pretty much have to use the outline.....which worries me a lot. I don;t think they would use that for that....

and how can you argue against its cuteness in pm64?

Here:

IT'S SO FREAKING CUTE!!!!!

but.....it;s not really bright and the color depth sucks, BUT WHO CARES!!!!

I mean, don;t get me wrong, every design but the SS one are cute, but I feel the pm64 one has a distinctive charms to him :)

The problem is to fix the color depth and brightness......it;s like you make him look like TTYD.....

Plus, he has pants :)

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
My philosophy of Paper Mario is that his partners are essential to him. If you look his games, they really are a big part of him, I in fact have a very hard time to see him without his partners, it took Doopliss to do it....

I do think they would appear somehow. I just have a hard time to not have them. Remove them and you remove a really huge part of him. I feel his hammer is as essential as his partners actually.

The problem being that I think he;s more than just hammers jumps and stickers. I really think that he trust his partners a lot in his games and the opposite is true. I do interpret them as being quite essential.

Like i don;t see him without his trusty hammer, i do not see him without his trusty partners. It;s just how I see it and i do know it's possible, it would bring a lot of interesting playstyle instead of just hammers.

The proof is just imagine TTYD playing only with doing only defense on the partners turn.....you might get into problems actually.

I don;t think he has that much relation with the Pixl which is why I don;t put them in the specils but fixed move. Tbh, if you don;t count tippi, all the pxils are more utilities than aid, Tippi is special because she's emotional. Whcih is why it's for stuff like grab and shield, that fits well.

But without partners.....that it's hard to imagine. i do see stickers in some standards, but I don;t see the mvoeset being entirely hammers and stickers, imo, he would loose a bit of his charms :)
I feel like Paper Mario would use his hammers mostly for Smash Attacks, his spin attack (which was not really an attack) from the original PM for his dash attack, some partners for aerials, partners for specials, and probably a crystal star or better yet, the Star Spirits.

Something I thought of today (or just now actually) that Paper Mario can have as somewhat a gimmick, is a stylish meter. Basically he can taunt after a lot of his moves (obviously it'll keep him at bay and give opponents an opportunity to attack). As his stylish meter goes up, all of his moves are buffed such as this:
  • His dash is much faster thanks to Dashel appearing after one stylish meter is filled
  • Madame Flurrie will assist Paper Mario when he does his ground pound (dair) with three stylish meters filled, while Sushie will be there to help Mario at 2 meters, and Thudley will be there to assist when Paper Mario has one stylish meter filled.
And more. I might do a moveset like this. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I feel like Paper Mario would use his hammers mostly for Smash Attacks, his spin attack (which was not really an attack) from the original PM for his dash attack, some partners for aerials, partners for specials, and probably a crystal star or better yet, the Star Spirits.

Something I thought of today (or just now actually) that Paper Mario can have as somewhat a gimmick, is a stylish meter. Basically he can taunt after a lot of his moves (obviously it'll keep him at bay and give opponents an opportunity to attack). As his stylish meter goes up, all of his moves are buffed such as this:
  • His dash is much faster thanks to Dashel appearing after one stylish meter is filled
  • Madame Flurrie will assist Paper Mario when he does his ground pound (dair) with three stylish meters filled, while Sushie will be there to help Mario at 2 meters, and Thudley will be there to assist when Paper Mario has one stylish meter filled.
And more. I might do a moveset like this. What do you guys think?
To be honest, Stylish poses is where I really see his aerials, here's some samples:

So, yeah, partners aren't much neccessary for aerials :)

As for the gimmick, tbh, it can work, I never saw someone work around his taunts.....just do not overkill it. What I mean is I don;t see the taunts being essential, it could serve as an useful bonus, but not relying on it.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So here's my opinion... I DO want Paper Mario, but not before much needed characters like Isaac, Wolf, and King K Rool. The Mario franchise is well represented as is. Paper Mario would be just icing on the cake. Meanwhile, DK could REALLY use some more reps. And it's honestly a shame that Golden Sun isn't represented in Smash yet. And as for Wolf, StarFox would be perfectly represented with 3 reps.

Top Bottom