• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory Craft and Mix up game: Seeing where "on paper" meets "in match" ~Essay

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
A perfectly logical essay. Though it seemed a little convuluted at times, and a bit confusing, I did managed to pull from it the important information. Definately a good read. It betters my understanding of the smash world.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
What should be taken out of this reading is that theory can inspire but shouldn't dictate play-styles. This is why I rarely post matchup ratios but only post about my matchup experiences. The other point to be taken out of this is, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of Brawl players that post on these forums either have no tournament experience with this game and/or no tournament experience with any other game. If not, this game often this a lot of players' fist tournament game.

Even if this essay only touches the basics of competitive play, I say that this should get a sticky since a lot of players can should be able to relate to Redhalberd's testimony.

Veril

Frame Savant
What should be taken out of this reading is that theory can inspire but shouldn't dictate play-styles.
All data is not created equal. All theorycrafters are not either. When someone says, "character x will kill character y with their up-throw at 150% on Final D, with DI and momentum canceling." People don't consider that theory-crafting, but really it is. It isn't elaborate, it requires no real explanation, but nobody would argue that KO% shouldn't dictate strategic choices. You might say, "Well you don't have to use a KO move as soon as its likely to kill." This is true, but using the move before KO% will stale it. So based on this knowledge you may hold back moves until they will work optimally.

Understanding and modeling this game mathematically is possible. It is built on rules and mechanics which can be known. Good theorycrafting means having a complete understanding of a discrete event and all of the options of both players involved. Sometimes, what this reveals is only enough to suggest a choice, or let you know what option is safe in what scenario. Things like the startup times for your OOS options, advantage windows that don't create complete frame traps, etc. Other times it provides a clear "best choice" in a given situation, data like KO%, % at which a given meteor smash cannot be canceled in time to allow for a given character to recover, knowing when a setup is actually an "autocombo" (true combo that cannot be escaped with DI).

Few people are good at numerical theorycrafting. All top players, whether they consider their "strategic choices" theorycraft or not, excel at qualitative theorycraft. Doing it quantitatively is a different method, but it has the same goal of knowing the options available to you.

/random blabbing

Top Bottom