• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

Glide

Smash Ace
I managed to glitch off of a d-throw on Link >_> Good luck landing that grab out of nowhere though; those are few and far between, as I'm sure you all know.

dan smith

Smash Champion
DownSmash??

The tournament hasn't happened yet Lonely. It's this Saturday. I won't really be trying to Glitch that much though...I want to straight up win.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
DISCOVERED A CHINK IN THE PAL VERSION OF THIS GLITCH!!

If you leave a hitbox on the ground and an opponent walks onto it, taking damage, the FIRST hit of the next attack you use will go straight through your opponent, no matter how long you wait after the impact of the dropped box. This means that a sneaky opponent who has been propped up and glitched by your yo-yo can simply DI and fall onto the hitbox, cancelling it out and placing you in a slightly disadvangageous position.
However, a simple tap of A will bring you back into perfect fighting form, and there are a few tricks you can use on a crafty opponent who knows what they're doing.

you can:

A) Hit the opponent before they reach the hitbox. They won't be ready for it.

B) Cancel ghost move with A just after they have hit the dropped box and attack with F-air as they're coming down. (no lag on F-air, so it's very safe.)

C) hit grab just before they reach the ground. With luck, you'll snag them before they hit the box.

So you should be OK if you are one step ahead of the opponent. On another note, an opponent hit by the glitch has only three options:

1: They can fall towards you, in which case you will pwn them with a flying hitbox.

2: They can use their second jump to get in front of both you and the glitch (so you can't get them.) However, in order to do this, they have to use their second jump, which is just asking for trouble, especially against Ness.

3: They can take the hitbox and impare you slightly, which can be countered with methods A, B or C.

EVERY WEAKNESS OF THIS GLITCH CAN BE NEGATED WITH ENOUGH INGENUITY! BEST LEGAL GLITCH IN GAME

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
sorry dan, i thought your tourny was last sat.
My partner can't go to mlg houston with me...so im thinking of training with my bro...and making a yoyo glitch strategy...because he's not that great...but im sure we'll turn a few heads..if we glitch alot and loose...besides if someone yoyo glitched me in a tourny i would resign outta shame.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Amen, NESSBOUNDER, amen...^_^

I was looking over the old YYG vid(the one named Yoyo Glitch) and I noticed something important: After setting the trapbox, Ness used an attack. Afterwards, Pichu ran into the trapbox and was popped up.

Anyone else catch that? After setting the trapbox, Ness attacked without setting it off.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Nessbounder and Simna: Hmmmm...this is all strange, to me the Glitch still seems like an alien thing. I know how it works but I still don't understand it.

I wish I had AR. With AR you can figure everything out much easier.

Lonely: Good luck!

Glide

Smash Ace
Not a d-smash, but I threw someone down and they were in just the range for me to glitch off the u-smash. Before a tech too. Obviously DI is gonna change that, but I think creative wavedashing could fix that.

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
The Opening Of the Third Part of The Yoyo glitch.

So far we have conretly grasped two parts or the glitch. What if i were to tell you there are many more parts...moves of the glitch and here they are...including pk flashes...teleports...and laying multiple hit boxes. I bet your heart is racing now if you're a serious ness player.

But the news isnt that exciting because i raise more questions than i answer. So calm down. To start of go to simna's last post about the old yoyo glitch video. And the multple hit.

Yeah i've know about that ever since the night i plugged it into AR

You can get hit twice (maybe even more)by it...

This is only if you set up the glitch perfectly....See ness's yoyo glitch is built in layers...believe it or not. So i was wrong when i first said you can't lay down multiple hit boxes... yeah. I should have said you can't lay down multiple hit boxes in more than one place.

Simna, to better understand this go and test this out against someone standing still.. Charge up the yoyo underneath them...kepp it charged as long as you can. How many time does it hit? 2, 3 maybe four? It all depends on character weight and damage ect. on how many times it hits.

How do you think they programmed the game to have the yoyo while fully extended hit more than once?-- The only answer i can think of is layers. The yoyo fully extended must come out with two hit boxes one on top of the other... this is where the glitch is born. Hit boxes are invisible...but this one is even invisible to AR because its directly underneat the other one. Hope you're following me, simna. So when the you you hits it replaces one of those hit boxes...top layer hits... bottom layer moves up...and is imedeatly ready to hit again to keep the move fluid and efficent and cut down on game runtime.

One these boxes isnt used then the glitch occurs
So this is essentially where the glitch comes from...

So whats the point? Well, vilness and nessbounder already made the point. YOu can with the strong part of the yoyo (which is a completly different hitbox then the hitboxes we were just talking about), charge the yoyo and the glitch will still work. What does this mean? Well if you're still following me then you will know that yo can leave two hitboxes behind. Layered hitboxes.

You're wondering how this could possibly be true. Test it out. Put two other drone human players in. Glitch one of them the vilnes/nessbounder way. Then step back. Walk drone # 1 over the glitch. Then walk drone # 2. If you're lucky and everything went perfectly both of them shoulda popped up.

Intresting things that i have taken to be facts but are not 100% proven.

theory 1: After they have been hit by the invisible hitbox once then they are immune (or somehow resistant)to the second one...but if another character walks over the second one then it hurts.(hence why i recomended the 2 drone test)

theory 2:there are only 2 layres . (but this could be wrong...i only have 3 controlers so i cant prove this because of the limits of theory 1) i got a new controller today so hopefully i can work on proving this. tommorow

theory3: only the first hit box can be used in recall/deathline glitch. This is why i dont think you can do the recall twice. Combined with theory1, this is maybe why you dont notice people getting knocked up in the air byt the second hit box after you've done the recal glitch

There are also other ideas that went through my head that i trust less because of the testing i've done.. i'll just list them
-recall takes away both hitboxes

wow im sorry i just had three new ideas pop into my head...while writing this... the last one i couldn't ignore. I think i have figured out the pk flash mystery and how to glitch it and possibly how to pk fire glitch...and possibly how to recall more than once.

But as you can see with multiple hit boxes being dropped the possiblities of this are increasing.

sorry simna, and everyone for not posting this info earlier...but i wanted to test it out more and play with it...and maybe come back with answers and not more questions. Im just trying too keep up with everything myself... and keep up training. And trying to stay one step ahead.
LonelyNess

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
lol geo^_^

I understand, Lonely...i have also noticed some other things that might intrigue you

double trapboxes that arent layered, but set with the same upsmash just in different places(one in front of Ness and one behind)

also....three trapboxes, one layered in front and one single in back

have you come across anything like that?

dan smith

Smash Champion
The layers theory is probably correct.

I was hoping you had figured out how to do teleport or PK moves with the glitch...

Still no luck? I did something yesterday during a several hour experimentation session. Or at least I think I did...

I often see odd things but don't have ways of replicating or remembering how I did them...

I rarely post fragments of information...but it looked like a PK Thunder tripped YYG? I just did PK Thunder after laying a Trap Box...and it....didn't go anywhere??

Why does life have to be so confusing...

I haven't seen hide or hair of the YYG teleport, which is really what I want to figure out...have you managed to pull it off again Lonely?

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
yes, i have, but im not quite sure how...

I think it has something to do with one of the bottom or back layers...reacting differently than the normal top layer during air doges.

Simna, yeah, me and dansmith knew about the box being able to appear behind ness... i think one of us posted something about it in one of the first few posts...
Though i have never noticed one in front and one behind... thats pretty cool if you can plant three boxes at will.

Im still working on the pk flash fire and teleport...but so far i've had promising results

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Grr.. the YYG and it keeping me from doing my work.

Good job Lonely.

I haven't been able to try it out in a while excluding 4 player melee and it is kind of hard to do there. I got it off once on the upper stages of Hyrule and triggered across the level with PK Thunder. At least it seemed like I did. Actually kind of sucked, I didn't want to set it off and then it got me so excited I was KO'ed.

The problem is nothing seemed different. I didn't do anything (that I know of) different than I would when I tried to set it off normally.

Back to playing smash on lunch breaks for me.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Congratulations on the nomination Mantuas.

Yeah, the Trap-Box being layed behind Ness was in the first post I think. Back then I didn't think it was real, I thought I had hallucinated it.

Whenever something cool happens, a PK Trap-Box trip or a teleportation (like Mantuas said) nothing seems to be different from a regular glitch.

The variables seem to be beyond our grasp. That's what has frustrated me.

I am not actually going to play the game for the next few days in preparation for a tournament. (I call it fasting)

So...good luck experimenting.

You are much better at figuring things out anyway, Lonely.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
THOUGHT OF SOMETHING!

Since the use of PK thunder/Fire doesn't recall the hitbox, you can use PK thunder directly after a yo-yo glitch to hit your opponent in the air and throw them off. Also, since your opponent only has a few options after being glitched (most of them aerial,) you can constantly bombard them with usually unsafe projectiles that will now be useful because your opponent will be too preocupied with countering the glitch. I havn't thougt much about this, so forgive me if it makes no sense.

Also, I can't do the YYG with the weak hit. PAL difference?

dan smith

Smash Champion
I was wondering why all the PAL users did the strong glitch...

PK Fire is good for setting up a deathline, it kepps your opponent in one place while you can get on the other side of them.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Actually, I experimented and I can do it with the weak bit, but the strong part is just better. Also, I found that the trap hitbox is way smaller than the hitbox of your grab, so it's possible to air grab someone before they fall on the hitbox and set it off. (because it turns into the bigger hitbox as soon as you hit grab and it grabs 'em!)

JeffMan

Smash Apprentice
Hey, new person here... not sure if its been posted already, but I managed to make a video of the process. Its not the best of quality, but it gets the point across.

http://flatface.net/~jeffman/hitblock.zip (1.4MB)

Also, I haven't been able to get it to work with PK Flash or other attacks... what/where exactly do you do/go once you've laid the hitblock?

Glide

Smash Ace
Could someone clarify what they mean by the strong hit setup for the glitch? So far I've only been able to activate it on the weaker one; perhaps it'd be easier with the strong hit?

EDIT:

Okay, watched the video just above mine... I now know what you all mean, I just can't seem to be able to pull it off. Any tips?

dan smith

Smash Champion
That vid is nice.

I was talking to a fellow at a tournament yesterday and despite the fact that he has never posted on these Ness Forums he had heard of and attempted the YYG. I was kind of amazed that he even knew about it.

I tried to explain to him how to do it well...something which I'm not good at...and I was going to show him but then we got too drunk. :confused:

I always miss my oppritunities to show it off...

I did show a smasher from Nebraska how to do it though...hopefully he will show the rest of his friends.

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Uhm...whats the strong and weak way. I read back and didn't see it.

Finally a vid I can see.

Anyways is it just me or does seem Team Scape grow every week?

dan smith

Smash Champion
Crews can get out of hand (side topic)

My crew currently has:

Team Wizard Babies:
1: Dan Smith
2: Dmac
3: DYC
4: N64
5: Antx
6: Aku
7: Jesi
8: Aaron
9: Z

and we may be gaining a few more...

Nine people!

We need to make crew banners like TeamScape.

WAI: Strong way is hitting with the inital hit of the YY for a popup and the weak way is luring them into hitting the charging YY. I personally use the weak meathod.

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Im not sure if this has been talked about but the yoyo glitch DOES work on Goombas and redeads and turtles. I did it in adventure mode. :D

Thanks dan smith. I finally gto DC++ and I got the Pk Thunder vid. Really good.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Nobody had tried it on Goombas (etc) to my knowledge. Because it has nothing to do with what the UpSmash hits it should work on pretty much anything though. Situational problems are the only things that could prevent it from working.

I am going to go YYG all over Adventure.

:rotfl: :skull: :rotfl: :skull: :rotfl:

dan smith

Smash Champion
Yeah yeah yeah, I understood what you meant. Lines of enemies are indeed beautiful. They gain a whole new meaning.

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Wow. I was playing a level 9 computer and guess what? They can powershield the traps.....It sorta freaked me out because for a change I actually got the glitch and then he ps'ed it.....

Sorry fro booting up this thread.(not that the mods will notice)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
Sorry guys...I'm afraid I've done a bad thing.

My vid...ya know how it only shows one way to set up the glitch? Well as it turns out the majority of ppl who watch the vid(all but a few ppl) are not people who read anything in this Ness section, so many are under the impression that it is useless. I'm sorry for discrediting the yoyo glitch:(

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
That just depends on how you look at it Simna. For me it lets me think that I can actually use it since they wont expect me to try something that "useless".

Plus it's a good thing those people are watching your video. It means it's that bad@ss. *Grumbles cause he hasn't paid his internet bill at home yet so he still hasn't seen it.*

Hopefully someday I'll be able to incorparate the trick into my game.

dan smith

Smash Champion
WAI: I am glad you bumped this thread! I didn't want to double post but this is really the only subject that I don't already know about. This is the only unexplored territory in Ness' game.

Simna: Don't worry about it...you at least made the YYG known. Who cares in what opinion it is held.

Ok people, this glitch has been unveiled far too long for us not to be understanding it better. It has so much potential it kills me!!

I wish there were somebody better trying (better than I)...I wish Azen would learn how and perfect it. That way he could use the YYG in an inspiringly perfect way and give us all an example to follow.

Hmmm...

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Dan, why don't you make setups for the glitch? This could boost your rank in the smash world GREATLY. But then again this is what I said to Simna once in the hub.

"We don't have enough ways to bring this out into a real battle." He said we did, but we really don't.

So far we have
1. They run into you at full speed as you charge the yoyo.
2. They don't move and you whack them with the yoyo popping them up.

I'm just pissed at Ness not getting into Mid.

VilNess

Smash Champion
For me the problem about setting the yoyo is that they CC the stronger hit. Using the strong hit wouldn´t else be hard if you have even slight ideas of mindgames, like Dashdancing to yoyo, Wd back to yoyo, follow tech to yoyo etc.

for some reason I have actually easiest time setting up the booby trap against my bros Ganon. Well he doesn´t play ganon but still. My bro just WD shields the boobytrap away with Weegee :( ...unless I pop him up but it´s hard against Lu.

Oh and off course against gravity chars you can like Dair-popup and yoyo them but im not sure if it´s the best option, since it doesn´t work at high % and at lower % if yer lucky to connect a dair you should start mad uair DjC:ing.

dan smith

Smash Champion
Ganon does seem to be a very good character for dropping a trapbox. I should indeed make some settups, I use Up Smash often in real matches in the middle of combos. I can't really think of the full combos at the moment though...next time I fight (tomorrow) I will really try to remember what I do.

WD back into YYG seems to work very well for weak YYGing rush attacks (DAs, Raptor Boost, etc..) where as the strong YYG is more about spacing.

I will put up some settups as soon as possible.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
As far as I know, there are no setups for the yo-yo glitch that are foolproof or frankly any good. In order to pull this off, you're going to have to learn to dodge and fake like mad. As for the crouch cancel thing...well if they do that, you've just slapped around 17% damage onto them, which is nice anyway! I did a glitch to King Kong's DK last night, but he managed to get on the other side of it. I didn't want to get near him, so he ran over and stepped on the hitbox. Not the effect I wanted, but it freaked him out...sort of. And then I stupidly tried to rush in with a U air while he was propped up and the attack didn't work of course, so I got monkey slapped.

Characters with lag (like DK) can be trained to use certain moves that put them in a disadvantageous position. This is true to most characters, and if you're sharp, you can just dodge and glitch. Sidestep and wavedash works well, I may add. Especially on opponents who have used thier last jump and want to attack you from above as they're landing. It's mind games all the way! YEEEE-HAW!

VilNess

Smash Champion
Isn´t the whole game mostly about mind-games anyway?
Yeah that dodge to yoyo should work.
I made my bro play against my Ness and bowser was even easier to YYG than Ganon is. It was all about fakibg him out do any laggy move or jsut keep pressure him on dashdance to occasional Pk fire etc.
Even though I got some YYG I mostly focused on grabbing bowser and dthrow to DjC fair to sprintgrab to dthrow etc. WORKS WONDERS!

thanks for reminding about CC: ing the yoyo. Although if you know they´re gonna CC it you prolly are better by charging the yoyo more without trying to YYG them? but how can yo know? yeah forget that.
anyway for me I kinda automatically have learned to charge the yoyo so that it would make the YYG if it connects... like finger memory.

Unless sometimes I just charge the yoyo on the ledge like Dan S. does.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
AR comes to the rescue

I did some research with AR (frames and hitboxes and whatnot) and I found out a lot of things.

First, I'd like to mention that hitboxes are actually spherical in shape, not boxlike at all. Many attacks have several hitboxes in various places (i.e. http://smashinfo.com/peach/nair/04.png).

When Ness does an attack with several hitboxes, one of them merges with the trap, not unlike if you put a conveyor belt around 2 wheels, only in 3-D. The size of the trap side of it becomes the same size as the attack side. The bridge between the trap and the attack exists for 1 frame only, regardless of hitting. Ness will suffer the hitting lag if the attack hits, which will freeze the real hitbox(es) for the normal duration.

Which hitbox merges isn't consistent with all attacks. For Ness' up tilt, it's his left hand, but with his n-air, it's his right. For the down tilt, it's the furthest out hitbox, but with every other attack I tested (except those previously mentioned) it's the hitbox closest to Ness' body. Sadly, this means any home run swings using this glitch will be close hits.

Now for the timing. There's a 6 frame window where you can release A (or Z) to have Ness lay the trap, which comes slightly sooner with the weak hit (release A when it says YES). The leftest number is the frame number during the upsmash.

STRONG HIT

12 - hit
12 - stun 1
12 - stun 2
12 - stun 3
12 - stun 4
12 - stun 5
13 - charging 1
13 - charging 2
13 - charging 3
13 - charging 4
13 - charging 5
13 - charging 6 YES
13 - charging 7 YES
13 - charging 8 YES
13 - charging 9 YES
13 - charging 10 YES
13 - charging 11 YES

WEAK HIT

13 - hit
13 - charging 1
13 - charging 2
13 - charging 3
13 - charging 4
13 - charging 5
13 - charging 6
13 - charging 7
13 - charging 8
13 - charging 9
13 - charging 10 YES
13 - charging 11 YES
13 - charging 12 YES
13 - charging 13 YES
13 - charging 14 YES
13 - charging 15 YES

This weak hit happens rather soon. Later weak hits have YESes 2 frames later. I guess middle weak hits are only 1 frame later, but I've spent enough effort on this today.

Top Bottom