1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The "Year of Luigi" combo video collaboration thread

Discussion in 'Luigi' started by badangadang, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Papapaint

Papapaint Just your average kind of Luigi.

• Premium
    I've been crazy busy. I definitely still have time for editing, but as of right now, here is my current list of needs:

1. Before I do any video editing, I need music. The pacing/rhythm of the music will heavily inform my editing choices. I'm happy to wait on Vudujin's piece.
    2. As much help as possible finding awesome clips from luigis this year. I don't have a lot of time right now to watch full videos and take notes, so if you guys can continue doing the link+video time jazz it would really help out.
    3. Some help with organizing combos into "types"--i.e, combos that involve misfires, combos that involve chaingrabs/techchasing, combos that involve crazy platform shenanigans, etc.
  2. Vudujin

Vudujin Smash Lord

I'll try and get that song done by the end of the month. I have the arrangement and music written; I just need to record it.
  3. badangadang

badangadang Smash Apprentice

This is definitely still going to happen, we just encountered a small lull. Vudu's song is going to be great.

I'm imagining a 10-15 minute video at most, probably with 3 or 4 main songs including Vudu's. That's a lot, and I'm happy with whatever Papa can manage since he is a busy man. I got tied up with family and a few other things so I stopped sifting through videos for a small while. Everyone in the Luigi community, can you please, please submit clips with timestamps/descriptions as you find them? It will help us a lot, and we will probably thank you in the video.

I was talking to my friend Mr. Phenomenon about music choices last month and he was adamant that I suggest ending the video with a misfire compilation synchronized to the dramatic hits at the end of the 1812 overture, this part https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ&t=179, and that if I didn't push for it I would miss an epic opportunity.

I also would like to put this (slightly unconventional combo video song) on the table: Live it Up by 11 Acorn Lane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrHFX7T7UI. I'm imagining this video to be mostly a Melee display but partly a big Luigi party to show the rest of the Melee players that our mid-tier hero has spunk and swagger. This song is just so much fun and so happy.

Other suggestions - please gogogo.

Edit: and tonight or later this week I'll start organizing the clips we have into a google doc based on content type and stuff so we can easily access it and reorder/organize everything appropriately
  4. Chroma

Chroma Smash Apprentice

5. Seartu

Seartu Smash Journeyman

I haven't been on swf much lately, too busy playing smash, but I've also been recording. I'll get you some goodies.
  6. badangadang

I know smashboards has been choking for a while now, but since it's back up I'd like to remind everyone that, as far as I know, this project is STILL GOING ON. Papapaint, are you still down to work on this video/currently working on it?
  7. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

8. badangadang

Papapaint, do you know what music you'd probably like for this video?

and Vudujin, how is the music coming?
    pokemongeof likes this.
  9. Vudujin

Vudujin Smash Lord

Wow, this site still exists. I'll get that song up by the end of next weekend.
  10. fribjits

fribjits Smash Apprentice

Awesome! I would like to volunteer my services for editing and/or clips. I just recently posted this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSeO7xcmdrw A luigi "combo" video (xX360noscopeXx etc) so you can see my editing chops there. I have some decent clips of myself in tournaments as well but most of them are recorded on twitch and not on youtube, i have some of the video files on my had drive so should I e-mail them or what?
  11. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

Nice to see another Luigi for the combo video.

Preferably, if you don't want people to see ur matches, upload them to youtube on unlisted
  12. fribjits

fribjits Smash Apprentice

I don't mind people seeing my matches :D
  13. Blea Gelo

Blea Gelo Smash Lord

mi gonna start recording soon. Im gonna post em as soon as i have the vids
  14. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

We really need to get in touch with Papapaint
    badangadang likes this.
  15. badangadang

If we can't get in contact with him, is anyone else willing to step up? I have access to Premiere Pro, i found, but no idea how to use it, so I can learn but it might not be so good. In a pinch, I can put the thing together.

In the meantime, we need to start finalizing song choices. So far Vudujin's song is mostly confirmed.

Additionally I'd like to vote:

-Live it Up (11 Acorn Lane)
    -1812 Overture (for the end of the video, in a giant over-the-top misfire orgasm extravaganza, i might be willing to make a small demo to show what i'm thinking about)
    -in general just fairly upbeat birthday-party sort of music, geared toward really celebrating luigi and showing him off and having fun
    -Parts of the song in Vudujin's "Yahoo!" video and the Mario RPG song at the start of Abate's "Scoopa Sauce" video, just as nods to both vids coming out this year.

possibly:
    The Real Slim Shady (because weegee is pretty shady and slim)
    Blackout City (Anamanaguchi)
    Gotta Knock a Little Harder (the Cowboy Bebop movie)
    a bit of Big Band Battlefield (Mario 64 remix on OCRemix)

anyone else with input on music should add their voices here please
    pokemongeof likes this.
  16. Upke

Upke Smash Journeyman

Are there people who don't know the 1812 Overture?
  17. badangadang

I didn't mean I wanted to make a demo to show the song, I was talking about showing how I want to synchronize the video to it in case it's not clear
  18. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

so has anyone got in contact with Papapaint? If nobody can, then whos gonna make it?
  19. Jekyll

Jekyll Smash Ace

• Premium
    Has anyone mentioned Beefy's "Sidekick" for music?
  20. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

Someone should listen to this, for i cant atm
  21. Papapaint

• Premium
    I'm down to make the video.

I don't think we should have more than 3 songs; a video longer than about 7 or 8 minutes gets very tiring to watch.
  22. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

Good to finally hear from you Papapaint!

So I think we need an official list for songs:

1. Vudujin's Song

That's definite. But we need a vote. Come on guys, we have 2 months until 2014!
  23. Papapaint

• Premium

I really like this, it's perfect to edit to.

Also, the 1812 overture is a funny idea, but I really don't think it would work as well in the context of a combo video as you might think. The pacing of the song isn't fast enough for it to be a series of just misfires, there would be downtime in ebtween clips that would kind of ruin the effect.
    pokemongeof likes this.
  24. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

When can u get started Papapaint?
  25. badangadang

I want to test out the overture, I'll do that on my own time. I have some ideas for it, but you have a point, there is some downtime between clips.

3 songs could be good, I think 4 might work but would require more effort and possibly stretch the limit of the video.

Vudujin's song I'm sure will be great, and we also have Sidekick. I'm still voting the third song as "Live it Up" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrHFX7T7UI.

edit: actually since only part of Sidekick is specific to Luigi, a possible option for Papapaint is to cut partway into the song and do part of some other song after, or a shorter song. Might add some variety too. Thoughts?

second edit: important discussion point: this video was made for promotion of Super Luigi U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wplnqlqUD4, lot of potentially great material for the vid
  26. badangadang

More organized version of the combos from the OP https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akj0BlzyY3PfdGtKMEFBeEVCeEpvenF1QmF2Yjd6NlE&usp=sharing anyone can add clips here pretty easily.

The letters on the side are there just in case Papapaint wants to mess with ordering for organization for some reason.

I'll be updating this a lot this week, largely with clips of Vist, some of my clips, and more clips from Vudujin. If Pokemongeof and BluEG still have combos they and anyone else who also has combos can put it in here, just try to keep it organized so it's easy to just check the clips when anyone wants to do some video editing.
  27. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

Yep I still have some combos, unfortunately some are on camera.
  28. Papapaint

• Premium
    Feel free to test it out. It could still be a fun or funny idea, I just don't think it would really work well in the context of a combo video with several other songs and clips.

I'm fine with using all of Sidekick, since it's all pretty thematically related; sidekicks are brought to the forefront and shown to be surprisingly important to "main" characters, sometimes superior.

Honestly, I really think that Live it Up is way too laid back for an appropriate combo video, and I don't really see how it would work in context. For it to be a combo video about luigi, we really shouldn't just pull songs that sound cool or fun and throw them in based solely on that. We really want sometime with a pretty steady rhythm that alternated between loud thumps and sharp snaps, since those are what determine the feel of pacing in background songs. I really liked editing along to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_K6vKePJ44, since it has a really good pacing, an excellent buildup, and is thematically related to Luigi.

We could also have multiple people make their own year of luigi videos and do a whole playlist. I'd really like to work with Sidekick, Vudu's song, and the Techno remix myself, but I'm still willing to change things up if other good suggestions come along.
  29. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

When will you start to make it? We need ROM 6 footage, but what about Apex 2014 footage?
  30. Papapaint

• Premium

As i've said before, when all the music is done.
  31. Hulka

Hulka Smash Cadet

Ka Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1LQjY-7dk

I know that isn't 2013 footage, but at 1:48 Ka Master pulls off an amazing combo

Abate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y24VPngsok

Mis-fire at 0:40

Nice combo at 2:10

Nice recovery at 2:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbpP13fbQyU

Great combo at 3:05

Combo at 4:22 - 4:30ish

Mindgames 5:50 - 5:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQR3aG8lHg

Coin spike at 2:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnNrZEAM6DI

5:40 - 5:50

10:04 - 10:12 Amazing combo

12:10 - 12:30 0 - death combo

14:03 - 14:07 Short sweet combo

15:50 - 16:00 Brilliant 0 - death combo

More to come if wanted
  32. Papapaint

• Premium
  33. Blea Gelo

Blea Gelo Smash Lord

im already uploading matches recorded, ill let u know when i have em
  34. pokemongeof

pokemongeof Smash Lord

sweet blea. This combo video is going to be so hype!!!
  35. Blea Gelo

Blea Gelo Smash Lord

what he said
  36. Papapaint

• Premium
    Any update from vudu on the music?
  37. GCSChris

GCSChris Smash Rookie

38. badangadang

Oh my god gcschris i cant stop laughing at that, and you're not that late.

Vudujin is probably wrapping it up around now.

Papapaint, I know a lot of my ideas have not been great, but somewhere in the video can you please include at least this voice clip from Mario Kart 64 somewhere in the video? http://www.mario-kart.net/downloads/mk64/sounds/wavs/luigi06.wav
    GCSChris and ELStalky like this.
  39. badangadang

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MEFBeEVCeEpvenF1QmF2Yjd6NlE&usp=sharing#gid=0 Being updated with more clips. I've added some lesser-known Luigis' clips (who I found by accident while searching for Luigi clips in general), including some from a chilean player named Karlitox.

(Don't mind the list of random misfires and shoryukens on the far right, that's for me testing that overture out when I get access to a computer with a good video editor, but feel free to add random misfires and shoryukens yourself to that list, the kinds that don't really do anything and just sorta happen to throw Luigi around the stage and aren't that exciting)

Again, please, PLEASE feel free to add your own clips or those you find online. I plan to add a lot of Vist, Abate, Vudujin, etc's clips from the latter part of this year. Also if any of you could try to find some good combos from your own clips or from less-known Luigis as well, it would lean this video toward representing the general Luigi community, even if there's only a few clips.
  40. Blayd

Blayd Smash Cadet

Upke likes this.