• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The URC has been disbanded.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I cut back on my trolling after I got warned by the URC the first time. Now that URC is disbanded there are no shackles holding me back :cool: . Where is Jebus when you need him?
That is NOT a denial.
+1 respect point.

Just ignore him. I'm pretty sure he's the only one left in the room, lol.
I mean, my point is more that if you guys wanted things to appear professional...you don't let this dude talk to the public. I'd rather troll back, but I mean, I'm assuming people are gonna try and make a new "Rules to go by" for this game...don't let trolls be your spokesman.

From, a troll.

Tony_

Smash Ace
The committee was made up entirely of tournament organizers, so 'removing power from tournament organizers' would essentially have been impossible, since the net effect would simply have gone to other tournament organizers.

I fully expect to see much of the Unity Ruleset to continue to be copied and pasted for a long time to come, because aside from stances on controversial issues, it provides a clear and well-put-together template for TOs to then make changes too.

The URC could not have disrupted things anymore than they already were: at least 30% of tournaments in the last year ran with the Unity Ruleset - before that you would be hard pressed to find even 10% of tournaments running the same ruleset.

So, yes, I will question your unquestionable statement that the URC was one of the "worst things in the history of the smash community", and this is coming from someone who both started the URC and also as part of the Senate moved to disband it.
The URC was a ****ty attempt to force a ruleset down people throats, and it did more damage than good, and it basically took the community part out of the community. Lose that (which you already have) and you have nothing. Especially TO's, who more than likely hated the rule set to begin with, and never had any REAL control over rule sets. You've contradicted yourself in everyway.

Hey folks, and anti-ban in particular (and mew2king, this means you especially). I was one of the biggest advocates and posters on that side of that aisle, and fairly strongly opposed to a unified ruleset since forever, but lets try and be sensible and respectful k?

Rather than bicker about past events lets please move on. There are significantly more pressing issues we need to address within our community. The "I told you so's" and conspiracy theories will do absolutely nothing for you or the communities benefit from this point forward. Nor will arguing about the affects of the sticky rule or how long it was implemented or 'power abuse' from an entity that no longer exists.

Issues that still need to be addressed (quoted from xyro)
1. People have been saturated with smash. They have been going to 37 HOBOs, 10-12 Phases , 10-11 Revolutions, 8-9 final smashes, 16 DMTs, 3 whobos and HUNDREDS of fests. All of these things have pretty much been happening every other week for the past 4 years(at one point, sunc was having fests/torunaments at his house EVERY WEEKEND for like 2-3 months). At one point tx was the most active state in the USA. People are sick of it.

2. People are tired of losing to the same people. GNES/RAZER/TRELA and some of DOJO. For the past 2.5-3 years these people have claimed top 3-4 in EVERY tournament(not whobo) they go to. So why do people want to travel when they know AT BEST they will get 5th(aka no money or very low money).

THOSE^ things are why the scene was dying.

Id also add things like the fact that tournaments take forever, or community outreach and advertisement to potential players outside the community is exceptionally poor, and probably a ton of other things.
Xyro's post can be answered by me in a couple of ways, and its not meant for him specifically:

1. This does sound like over-saturation, but you can't control what people do.

2. Quit *****ing and level up. If you don't want the 3 same players getting top spots in a tournament, get fresh blood in there and level them up as well as yourself. If you are honestly scared of 2-5 people in a whole community, then do something about it.

The last part is especially relevant, especially about community reach. If things like back rooms didn't exist, maybe, JUST MAYBE, people would take Smash more seriously.

The point is that nobody was forced to use Unity. If I were to host a tournament right now, I doubt that a single URC member would go up to me, point a gun at my head, and say, "You run Unity right now or else you die."

I still had full control over my tournament, and even though there was a lot of incentive to use Unity, I still had the choice to ignore it and do whatever I wanted, and no Senator, Admin or URC member was going to stop me from wanting to run the tournament the way I wanted.

The only way that you can be forced to use Unity was if you made the choice to join the Unity Ruleset Committee, but you still had the option to be a tournament organizer and not be in the URC.
Your former sticky rule and back room Illuminati nonsense says otherwise. Disband ALL of them, and THEN you'll have the essence of what a true community is. A handful of people force feeding people rules doesn't help, especially forcing something like this on casual players who hate the ruleset as much as anyone else.

Your first paragraph took exactly what I said and made it more confusing for people to read. The TOs will have to make a change or die out if people don't go, which is exactly what I said. If you choose to not go to the tournament because of that aspect, and it's actually hurting the TO from having a successful tournament, they will be forced to change it or die out/lose money/time. You just agreed with both of my points.

1. Recommended Rulesets [specifically under that name] do the same thing. Because it has a different name does not change.
2. It still was never forced, meaning the problem was in the minds of the TOs that felt pressured to using this ruleset or not get any attendees. But since they feel Unity is the cause of this, that is who the blame is on. Just my opinion. Also the anger should be towards the source, not what came out of it. You can't hate Unity for something it didn't control, and say that it caused its own unpopularity. Misplaced anger.
See above and yes they can. It wasn't misplaced anger either. Killing off smaller events due to a rule set which only got 30% use (thanks for ****ting on your own ruleset Zealot) should be telling you something important.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The URC was a ****ty attempt to force a ruleset down people throats, and it did more damage than good, and it basically took the community part out of the community. Lose that (which you already have) and you have nothing. Especially TO's, who more than likely hated the rule set to begin with, and never had any REAL control over rule sets. You've contradicted yourself in everyway.
Welcome back to Baseless Statements! I'm your host, Tony_

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So you would rather insult than debate? Congrats on confirming the average intelligence of the Smash user base.
You respond well to challenges to the bull**** you spew. How about you cite sources instead of making random assertions.

Or, you could deflect the argument just because big, bad Ryker called you a ******.

Note: There's the insult so you can avoid the point again. Aren't I nice?

Speaking of, he started playing again and just beat kiraflax and did very well at a socal regional :p.
Here's my P1 impression.

"Wow, why is Socal so free?"

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13230551&postcount=2

That's the one I spent the most time on, but you should just keyword Thugz on a megarobman name search and things will be okay. Start from the beginning, no fair moving ahead. It gets really good, then even better.

NebraskaMegaManPowerRankings did a pretty good job too on Thugz but it was really just piggybacking.

However, most of my posts on here have been at least KIND of serious, especially when I talk about how the choices for stages are so bad and that unbanning MK is LOLOLOLOL, and M2K has a right to be mad.

And his Sheik is god.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I do find Spelt's trolling to be the most entertaining. Too many trolls occassionally make "real posts" containing "actual information", but with Spelt you always just get a "bowl of fun".

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I don't understand how the URC ruleset could have possibly been 'forced'. It's not as if they sent out a taskforce shutting down every non-URC ruleset tourney.

As for the sticky rule, are people here 5 years old? The ability to sticky tourneys (for free) was always a privellage, not a right.

That's like me allowing people to post posters on my fence for free, then having them complain when I restrict the posters to one's that conform to my views. It would be outrageous to complain about something like that.

Dcold

Smash Lord
Your former sticky rule and back room Illuminati nonsense says otherwise. Disband ALL of them, and THEN you'll have the essence of what a true community is. A handful of people force feeding people rules doesn't help, especially forcing something like this on casual players who hate the ruleset as much as anyone else.

See above and yes they can. It wasn't misplaced anger either. Killing off smaller events due to a rule set which only got 30% use (thanks for ****ting on your own ruleset Zealot) should be telling you something important.
Did you bother to read all of the posts in this thread? There's not that many. It is misplaced anger because they did not make the sticky rule, they had to follow it. The decision to make this rule was in place as Unity was formed, and the decision to get rid of it was also not up to Unity. How are you going to hate them for something that wasn't in their control? They're not force feeding anything, they're following the rules that were already in place for them.

If you don't like the ruleset, then don't use it lol. National/Regional tournaments are usually stickied yes, but Locals don't usually get stickied from what I've seen. And if a National/Regional doesn't get stickied, they generate enough hype themselves, and from other advertising (facebook/AiB/word of mouth/whatever) that they don't really need a sticky. If you're complaining about your local not getting stickied because of non-Unity, complain about it now that there is no "Unity Sticky Rule" when it's not stickied this time.

People are hating the idea of Unity more than what it actually was. Too caught up in this "I Hate Unity" mode to actually look and listen to what the people from Unity have said about what happened. I didn't like the Unity Ruleset all that much, but I don't blame them for things that were not their fault.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I myself have a couple of charges that need to be answered by everyone:

Question 1: If Unity Ruleset sticky rule was officially sanctioned by the SWF Senate, then why didn't the Senate themselves answer the questions the community had about this rule?

Question 2: If the URC was officially sanctioned by the SWF senate, then why, during the Unity Experimental Process, must one get approval from a URC member to make any alterations to the ruleset to still maintain sticky status?

Question 3: If the URC was suppose to set the National standard ruleset, then why make the price of admission to this committee so low at running one tournament with the Unity Ruleset? That just stinks of fraud.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I myself have a couple of charges that need to be answered by everyone:

Question 1: If Unity Ruleset sticky rule was officially sanctioned by the SWF Senate, then why didn't the Senate themselves answer the questions the community had about this rule?
The sticky rule wasn't sanctioned by the senate, it was made by our MLG representative at the time. When he stepped down the Senate waited a while and then removed the sticky rule.

Question 2: If the URC was officially sanctioned by the SWF senate, then why, during the Unity Experimental Process, must one get approval from a URC member to make any alterations to the ruleset to still maintain sticky status?
The senate didn't have the option of vetoing the URC when it was made. The Senate did also not make the URC ruleset so it wouldn't make sense to ask them about something relating to the actual ruleset itself as opposed to the group as a whole.

Question 3: If the URC was suppose to set the National standard ruleset, then why make the price of admission to this committee so low at running one tournament with the Unity Ruleset? That just stinks of fraud.
That would be something to ask JV or AlphaZealot, but I was under the impression that members were selected not just let in if they ran one tournament with Unity.

Player-1

Smash Legend
The requirements were that you just ran one tournament, but we still voted on who would be let in. I guess everyone voting would have their individual standards. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I wouldn't cast my vote for some random TO that held a 10 man tournament running URC and that's it.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
The sticky rule wasn't sanctioned by the senate, it was made by our MLG representative at the time. When he stepped down the Senate waited a while and then removed the sticky rule.
So now we are getting three different stories on the origins of the sticky rule, and each one points to a different group. One says that it is the URC, another, championed by AlphaZealot, says it was the SWF GM who made the call. Now you say that it was the MLG rep who resigned after the order was sent out? Now you tell me, the Senate, not wanting to disrespect the MLG Rep's(Who I suspect is AZ himself) last orders, kept that rule in place for 6 months after he resigned? Something stinks here and it is not the milk that I am drinking. If people know that a rule is wrong and bad for the community, it should be removed in all due haste instead of playing politics and making a community divided.

The senate didn't have the option of vetoing the URC when it was made. The Senate did also not make the URC ruleset so it wouldn't make sense to ask them about something relating to the actual ruleset itself as opposed to the group as a whole.
I think that the fact that the Senate shut down the URC speaks for itself. They, the Senate, probably saw that the community was going to be divided over the Unity ruleset. The fact that Genesis and Apex 2013 was going to circumvent the MK ban, plus the emergence of the Japanese Metagame probably made them realize that having a National ruleset is detrimental to the community as a whole. This grand experiment could have been shut down at any time, but your buddy, AlphaZealot, couldn't stand the fact that his National Standard was going down the toilet.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
So now we are getting three different stories on the origins of the sticky rule, and each one points to a different group. One says that it is the URC, another, championed by AlphaZealot, says it was the SWF GM who made the call. Now you say that it was the MLG rep who resigned after the order was sent out? Now you tell me, the Senate, not wanting to disrespect the MLG Rep's(Who I suspect is AZ himself) last orders, kept that rule in place for 6 months after he resigned? Something stinks here and it is not the milk that I am drinking. If people know that a rule is wrong and bad for the community, it should be removed in all due haste instead of playing politics and making a community divided.
Weren't they both referring to JV? I think that's what he means lol.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
So now Smash has two defined ruleset types:

Unity Ruleset Loyal: Republican

Alternative Ruleset Experimenter: Democrat

Kidding, kidding. :p

This was actually really a surprise to me. I didn't think the URC would ever disband. o.o Now that they have, though, the MK ban is pretty much gone as far as the promoted tournaments go. Kind of sad to see it go so soon, it doesn't seem like there was enough time to observe what kind of metagame the ban fostered.

Oh well though, that's why there is P:M. :)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Oh. It may be the same person, but the point remains...
No, it doesn't, because your point was that there were multiple stories. There aren't, at least from the Senates perspective. Maybe someone from the URC, but they do not run Smashboards.

This grand experiment could have been shut down at any time, but your buddy, AlphaZealot, couldn't stand the fact that his National Standard was going down the toilet.
It was an entire Senate decision. I have my own additional personal reasons for supporting the end of an 'experiment' I help start but I won't get into it. However, my point is once the GM implemented BBR-RC, it was an entity of Smashboards, and only the Senate could end it (or possibly our current temp-GM, who is not me).

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Runs/makes the decisions regarding Smashboards.com.

And we (the senate) are aware no one has a clue about us. We should probably do something to change that...

Yunior597

Smash Journeyman
URC sucked ****, you can't just say "MK is banned forever, if you don't like it SUCKS FOR U" and any ruleset they don't like they can't use

THEN force people to use their ruleset or they don't get stickied. Something like that would never stick around.

wish I woulda known that would happen before I gave my controller away to Nietono at apex though <_<
agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 100%

I think we all should use Apex Ruleset or Japanese ruleset.

-Ran

Smash Master
The important thing is that it has proven that we can try something different, and revert back. That was the common argument against the potential for change in our community [it's actually prevalent in all walks of life]. No one wanted to try anything different, because they feared it would be irreversible. Now, the community has information of both metagames derived not from theory, but actual high end competitive matches/results.

If Meta Knight becomes unbanned, that's fine. Players now have all the information at their hands, and so it will no longer be a thought experiment as to which is better for the community. So now, when the dialogue comes up again, it will be a fair one. Some arguments were rather whimsical for both sides, but now both will be grounded in reality. :)

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Smash News maybe?
The "Senate Sponsored: SWF Suggestion Box" topic could probably have its OP updated to better show who it was they were giving the suggestions to. Although to answer the question about the Senate in its most basic form; it is simply upper level staff (which essentially breaks down to administrators & senators).

Also the "User Guide" in the "Smashboards Information Center" does discuss the Administrator & Senator roles.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
It was an entire Senate decision. I have my own additional personal reasons for supporting the end of an 'experiment' I help start but I won't get into it. However, my point is once the GM implemented BBR-RC, it was an entity of Smashboards, and only the Senate could end it (or possibly our current temp-GM, who is not me).
AlphaZealot said:
So, yes, I will question your unquestionable statement that the URC was one of the "worst things in the history of the smash community", and this is coming from someone who both started the URC and also as part of the Senate moved to disband it.
Words have meanings. Don't imply that you yourself moved to disban something and take credit for starting said something. It makes you lose all credibility relating to the topic at hand.

Top Bottom