• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The time for powershields is now

Deg

Smash Cadet
Powershields are vastly underused in todays meta. It isn't that people don't powershield, it's that they tend not to use the benefits of the powershield. This is a short guide on the uses and mechanics around powershields and hopefully, an eye-opener for people using our green friend.

First, an explanation of the concept:
When you full press L or R your shield goes through 3 stages.
The first 2 frames are the projectile powershield. It will reflect all projectiles that hit it, it will act like a normal powershield if hit with an attack but it covers less of your character.
Frames 3 and 4 are the normal powershield and after that it's normal shield.

This is how the powershields look:

Powershields work differently than normal shields in that you can cancel shieldstun into a GROUNDED ATTACK.
This means jabs, all tilts and smashes and also specials such as down-b and up-b(oh baby).
Sadly, you can't cancel shieldstun to grabs or jumps.

When you powershield an attack you slide further than you would with your normal shield, this means that if fox were to nair your powershield he would have trouble shining you as you slide out of his range. This mechanic also messes a lot with overshoots as the attacker will no longer always land behind you.

How can Luigi use this all of these things:
Luigi as a character works great with powershields as his low traction and moves really benefits from them. Powershield into utilt or dsmash are great combostarters, powershield into Usmash or up-b are GREAT killmoves. It is also great for edgeguards when paired with Ftilt.

Pessimistic Luigi-player:
"Well this sounds great but powershielding is HARD man, how will i ever achieve consistancy with this?"

To answer that I'll give you some examples:

Example 1:
Fox is down on the ground and you are standing in pole-position to punish his options. You see him start to move and get ready to react to his option. He chooses to getup-attack. You shield at the right time, powershield and attack him out of it.
The next time you get into the same situation Fox chooses to roll away from you. you shield at the correct time to powershield his getup-attack. When you realize he rolled you wavedash oos and since you are Luigi you still make it in time to grab him.

Example 2:
Fox, Falco or Pikachu run towards you and try to attack you while being safe, they need to nair/dair at a specific time in order to be safe on shield or overshoot. You learn the timing your opponent usually attacks and shield. If you powershield and instantly do a Downsmash you will punish landing in front of and behind you. Because you slide so far from being hit on powershield you can also sometimes Upb approaches like this when powershielded.

Powershielding is easier than most people think. It's all about getting a feel for the timing of peoples attacks. At higher levels of play people learn how to mixup their attack-timings but this doesnt stop you from powershielding well telegraphed attack such as stomp, knee, Jiggs Bair, Marths Fsmash or Ganons anything. It also doesnt stop you from using it while covering options on the ground or ledge.

I've had great success with powershields myself and it has really helped me with tech-chasing and honestly all parts of my gameplay. I made this guide because I'd like to see powershielding develope in the meta and i want Luigi to be the character that does it. :)

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I agree that powershields in general are underutilised, and that Luigi can benefit from them considerably (he probably benefits from them more than most characters).

Because Luigi gets pushed back so far, you can't follow up out of powershield on SH spacie aerials if they space them (even if you shield ASDI in), or if they fade away (even if they were as close as possible to you when they started it); they have to be moving towards you, or very close to you and not moving away. Powershield down smash is definitely reliable when they're SHFFL nairing towards or through you (as it is for deeply spaced SHFFL aerial approaches from most characters).

Powershielding getup attacks is definitely very useful. You can option select between powershielding a getup attack and grabbing a neutral stand, as explained in this video. You could also short hop nair the neutral stand instead of grabbing it.

Some of your information is wrong. See below for more details, and read this too: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Powershield#1._Digital

GuardReflect
8 frames long
• This is the initial animation that takes place when you input shield.
• Reflects projectiles during the first 2 frames. If you reflect a projectile, then you do not undergo hitlag or shieldstun.
• Powershields physical attacks during the first 4 frames. If you powershield a physical attack, then you still undergo both hitlag and shieldstun like normal.
• Interruptible at any point with jump, spotdodge, roll, or grab.
• On frame 8:
◦ If shield is being input, then transition into Guard (the normal shielding animation) on frame 9.
◦ If shield is not being input, then transition into GuardOff (the shield release animation) on frame 9.
GuardOff
Length varies slightly between characters; for Luigi it's 15 frames long (see this for a list of GuardOff durations: http://clashtournaments.com/mew2kings-melee-information-and-discoveries/#37)
• This is the shield release animation (the animation that takes place when you let go of shield during Guard or on the last frame of GuardReflect).
• Interruptible if the character spent less than 4 frames in Guard before entering GuardOff:
◦ If a physical attack was not powershielded, then it's interruptible with jump or spotdodge (but not roll for some reason).
◦ If a physical attack was powershielded, then it's interruptible with any attack in addition to what it is normally able to be cancelled into (see the wiki page for more details on this). You can do this with jumping or grabbing, though neither can be done any faster than they could've been done out of a normal shield (as opposed to a powershield). Spotdodges must be input with the control stick; inputting downwards on the C-stick will result in a down smash.​
Reflecting a projectile does not make GuardOff interruptible in any ways it is not normally interruptible (i.e. it's the same as releasing the shield without powershielding at all).

Last edited:
Top Bottom