• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SSB Poll Lounge: DLC mode engaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ridley from the Metroid series seems popular.
But how the heck would the developers implement him into a smash bros game other than as a boss battle? He's massive! It's like trying to make Master Hand a playable character.
Does anyone think before they submit character ideas?
Read Oasis's thread on Ridley.

Read all of the posts.

Acknowledge possibility.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just tallied some of the votes on my stage poll. Here is where things stand currently:

Top 10:
(143) Bowser's Castle - (Super Mario Bros.)
(139) Skyloft - (Skyward Sword)
(134) Rainbow Road - (Mario Kart 7)
(110) Punch Out Ring - (Punch Out)
(108) Underworld - (Kid Icarus)
(106) Airship - (Super Mario Bros. 3)
(105) New Smashville - (Animal Crossing)
(102) Patch Land - (Kirby's Epic Yarn)
(101) Gangplank Galleon - (Donkey Kong Country)
(100) WarioWare, Inc. 2 - (WarioWare)

Highest voted Brawl stage:
(159) Castle Siege - (Brawl)

Highest voted Melee stage:
(125) Fountain of Dreams - (Melee)

Highest voted Smash 64 stage:
(109) Saffron City - (Smash 64)

Top 3 third party stages:
(101) Green Hill Zone - (Sonic the Hedgehog)
(85) Dr. Wily's Fortress - (Megaman)
(84) Tetris - (Tetris)

slambros

Smash Ace
i am not really complaining, but what about Mike Jones from Startropics? He could use his yo-yo for cool attacks. I think Masahiro Sakurai thought of him for Brawl!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
i am not really complaining, but what about Mike Jones from Startropics? He could use his yo-yo for cool attacks. I think Masahiro Sakurai thought of him for Brawl!
He didn't make the top 50 :/

:phone:

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I seriously find that the top 5 are guaranteed. I'd love it to be true all 5 deserve it.
I find these character polls so very interesting!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really? you expected a character with only one appearance in a decade-old RPG that's been overshadowed by newer games to be popular?
If this was a pre-Brawl poll, Geno would be alot higher than #10. It's not that he popularity is warranted, it's that he used to be a top choice popularity-wise and is now declining.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd like to wager that, if Geno wasn't revealed to have like 3 votes on Melee's poll when that was released (to put this in context, Bowser got like 160 something), people wouldn't have even thought to suggest him for Brawl.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Wow, really suprised at the direction this poll's taken. I thought some characters would be higher.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Wow, really suprised at the direction this poll's taken. I thought some characters would be higher.

What in particular surprised you? I was, too, so I was just wondering if it was about the same things...

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
Well mostly just where some of the characters are currently standing. I can see how some of the higher ones are where they are, but I would have expected characters like Krystal and Zoroark to have more votes.

splat

Smash Lord
Well mostly just where some of the characters are currently standing. I can see how some of the higher ones are where they are, but I would have expected characters like Krystal and Zoroark to have more votes.
I feel like Zoroark and Krystal aren't all that popular anyway, but people are focussing on 'trends' too much.

Every time they are mentioned I can only imagine people sitting behind their desks going like:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Krystal's standing right now is pretty good, at 91 votes she's tied for sixth, which is more than I would've expected considering how many people here seem either impartial or against her.

Zoroark's is decent, though it does seem a little low. I guess it shows that either he is losing popularity or really never had that much to begin with, and was mostly just expected. Truthfully I think he would be doing better on a different site though.

2nd Sonic character obviously has to be Shadow, all those chaos moves and he was already an assist trophy in Brawl
Or better yet, no one! :awesome:

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
I think Krystal's standing right now is pretty good, at 91 votes she's tied for sixth, which is more than I would've expected considering how many people here seem either impartial or against her.

Zoroark's is decent, though it does seem a little low. I guess it shows that either he is losing popularity or really never had that much to begin with, and was mostly just expected. Truthfully I think he would be doing better on a different site though.

I guess Krystal's fine now that I think about it, (I was expecting in the 100's area, but that's just me) and I thought Zoroark would be the 5th gen flavor for now.

Anyways, can't wait for an official poll to come out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I guess Krystal's fine now that I think about it, (I was expecting in the 100's area, but that's just me) and I thought Zoroark would be the 5th gen flavor for now.

Anyways, can't wait for an official poll to come out.
Well Zoroark is still the most popular 5th gen, he's the only one that made the cut for the poll, and I'd wager if Mewtwo had been in Brawl, he would be the clear cut Pokemon addition, but now the Pokemon vote is being split with many people (justifiably) picking Mewtwo over Zoroark (though I'm sure some picked both, I did. Not too sure how many people just picked Zoroark).

As for an official poll... I wouldn't hold your breath. Sakurai has probably already picked most (if not all) of the roster already, if his recent comments are anything to go by, and at this point a poll would be of little use to him. He barely even used Brawl's, he had already decided the entire roster (bar Sonic and perhaps Wolf) and all that poll did was convince him to add Sonic.

Even if there is a poll released now (which almost definitely won't be happening), there's not much chance it would be released outside Japan, and an even smaller chance we'd get to see the results. Don't expect one.

D

Deleted member

@N3ON: I think the poll in Melee may have had some influence in characters getting into Brawl (Wario for example). So while Brawl's poll didn't have much of an immediate impact on the roster, I could see this being a major influence on the SSB4 roster and I do think Sakurai will revisit this poll.

As for Krystal, Kuma said something about many fans wanting Krystal, but that they mostly doubted her inclusion, so they don't speak about her. Seems like a plausible theory to me (could also apply to Geno as well).

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344
As for an official poll... I wouldn't hold your breath. Sakurai has probably already picked most (if not all) of the roster already, if his recent comments are anything to go by, and at this point a poll would be of little use to him. He barely even used Brawl's, he had already decided the entire roster (bar Sonic and perhaps Wolf) and all that poll did was convince him to add Sonic.

Even if there is a poll released now (which almost definitely won't be happening), there's not much chance it would be released outside Japan, and an even smaller chance we'd get to see the results. Don't expect one.
Well that's...disappointing. I guess all I can hope for is for him to want the same stuff I do. Then again, I'll probably be happy either way.

D

Deleted member

@N3ON: When it comes to Zoroark and Smash popularity, I don't think it's going to matter either way. He's clearly expected but not wanted by many people, yet he also has decent popularity within in as well, keeping it from being a major issue. What I feel will ultimately decide Zoroark's fate is if Sakurai feels Zoroark would make a worthy addition (with of course some pressure from the Pokemon Company).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@N3ON: I think the poll in Melee may have had some influence in characters getting into Brawl (Wario for example). So while Brawl's poll didn't have much of an immediate impact on the roster, I could see this being a major influence on the SSB4 roster and I do think Sakurai will revisit this poll.
It's definitely a credible theory, and it's probably true. Of the 10 Brawl newcomers that existed when the poll was made, 8 of them charted, with only Snake and ROB (understandably) being excluded, with (not counting Melee characters) Wario and Dedede coming in first in their categories.

It very well might work this way again, however, as we don't know the results, it would be more difficult to determine how much of a role the Brawl poll played. I guess our best bet would be to see if characters that had more popularity in Japan then than now (like Krystal or Isaac) end up making the roster.

I still think that the chances of getting a new official poll this time around are slim to none, but who knows.

As for Krystal, Kuma said something about many fans wanting Krystal, but that they mostly doubted her inclusion, so they don't speak about her. Seems like a plausible theory to me (could also apply to Geno as well).
It's never really stopped people from talking about characters that have even less of a chance than Krystal, but if Kuma was just referring to relatively smart people, then I could see that. ;):awesome:

@N3ON: When it comes to Zoroark and Smash popularity, I don't think it's going to matter either way. He's clearly expected but not wanted by many people, yet he also has decent popularity within in as well, keeping it from being a major issue. What I feel will ultimately decide Zoroark's fate is if Sakurai feels Zoroark would make a worthy addition (with of course some pressure from the Pokemon Company).
Yeah, I agree with pretty much all of this. I still feel like Zoroark has more popularity on other sites than he does here, and from my searching Japanese sites he did come up fairly often (though granted, not as often as Mewtwo), but I'm not really sure if they, like many, were just expecting him or actually wanting him. I'd guess some of both.

Like you said though, it doesn't really matter. He's got enough popularity and publicity to not be a surprise if included, but he's no overwhelmingly popular character like Lucario was. It comes down to Sakurai (and Pokemon Company), and whatever decision is made, I feel there is enough justification on both sides of the argument that the ending result, either his inclusion or omission, would be valid.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, here's a list with the current results:
[COLLAPSE=Results]
100 Tier
Mewtwo- 163
King K. Rool- 155
Megaman- 153
Ridley- 134
Isaac- 114
90-80 Tier
Little Mac- 91
Krystal- 91
Roy- 88
Banjo & Kazooie- 84
Paper Mario- 82
Waluigi- 80
70-60 Tier
Geno- 79
Palutena- 75
Bomberman- 71
Ghirahim- 69
2nd Sonic Character- 69
Majora- 64
Zoroark- 63
Pac-Man- 62
50 Tier
Dixie Kong- 58
Toad- 58
Takamaru- 57
Shulk- 54
Samurai Goroh- 52
40 Tier
Mii- 49
Dark Samus- 48
Meowth- 43
Rayman- 42
Lyn- 41
Starfy- 40
30 Tier
Claus/Masked Man- 38
Balloon Fighter- 38
Castlevania Character- 38
Krom- 37
Saki Amamiya- 37
Ray MK- 36
Black Shadow- 35
Tetra- 35
Bowser Jr.- 33
Medusa- 30
20-0 Tier
Proffessor Layton- 26
Black Knight- 24
Bandanna Dee- 23
Captain Syrup- 23
Travis Touchdown- 22
Porky- 14
Groose- 10
Hades- 9
[/COLLAPSE]

Amatosk

Smash Rookie
Of these options, I'd have to go with Isaac, Roy and Lyn, but personally, I'd like to see Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia to be in the game. Namco are working on the game, the Tales director mentioned he wanted to get a character in, so logically, it should happen, but what we need is a push of popularity to make Lloyd more likely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey guys, here's a list with the current results:
You probably shouldn't omit any characters that made the poll, Shortie didn't include ones that were impossible (B&K technically aren't impossible on the 3DS), and Majora definitely exists, though on the original poll I think he was classified as Skull Kid/Majora.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Or better yet, no one! :awesome:
Nah he's a perfect choice, he has way too many cool fighting abilities to put in, there's been a lot of stupid suggestions like Tom Nook who can't even fight, and then there's the disturbing ones like Krystal, people need to stop suggesting horrible characters

splat

Smash Lord
> people need to stop suggesting horrible characters
> suggests Shadow

Shadow is a horrible character. All possible cliches apply. Darker, apparently stronger version of the main character of the game, created to appeal to teenage boys as he's supposed to be cool. If any, we should see Tails or Knuckles - characters that are actually somewhat original rather than an emo version of the protagonist - take the second spot, though I think it's very unlikely to see two third party characters from the same series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nah he's a perfect choice, he has way too many cool fighting abilities to put in, there's been a lot of stupid suggestions like Tom Nook who can't even fight, and then there's the disturbing ones like Krystal

If "cool fighting abilities" was the only prerequisite for inclusion, or even an important factor, the roster would be a lot different. Especially with someone as subjective as Shadow.

Plus characters who've never shown any fighting ability or fighting prowess have been included in Smash before, but it seems Sakurai shares the rather narrow-minded view on AC that you do.

And this Krystal argument again? lol, it's perhaps the worst one against her. Plus, depending on who you ask, she could have "cool fighting abilities" as well.

people need to stop suggesting horrible characters
[COLLAPSE="Irony."]
[/COLLAPSE]
A 2nd Sonic character in general won't be happening. Plus what splat said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom