• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Song of Salikawood

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
A poem of sorts written about an area in Final Fantasy XII called the Salikawood. The song that played in that area inspired me to write, so I did. As such, it is strongly preferable that you listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sppDCLuj4kc while reading.

It's meant, above all else, to be visual. I tried to encapsulate the visuals of Salikawood as well as add my own twist of both story and stylistics. I hope you enjoy it and derive similar emotion from the poem as I do the song! :colorful:

Possessed by the earthen elegy
Obsessed by its minuet
Every life a note of its melody
Lest the world forget

Resplendent willows weep
Phantasmic jades and greens
This wood may never sleep
But surely it dreams

An argent, somber sky
Cast beyond the vast canopy
Weeps to awaken and vivify
The forest's eternal memory

Through ev'ry raindrop and creak
The ensemble orchestrates
Though sworn to never speak
The venerable wood orates

Of the ancient ones
They who tamed this wood
Affete to care for the forest
As only a woman could

Ashen ears of hares
Silver manes of mares
Skin of olive, rusty and fair
Not a drop of beauty to spare

Their legacy carved in the eldest trees
Their souls sing on the fragile breeze
Engraved with the people's lore
To revive the days of yore

And so through the wood's breath
The eldritch race lives on in death
To preserve and protect their home
The silent sentinals are never alone

For every breath a note in the melody
Every voice and thought a memory
Everything 'neath the vast emerald hood
Lives in the eternal song of the Salikawood

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
It seems that I am not the only poetic Ganondorf main.

I really liked this poem. There wasn't one time that I lost the flow of the words.
Although I envy your broader vocabulary.
:glare:

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Always a pleasure to see other Ganon mains, especially like-minded ones. :colorful:

And thank you, sir! I appreciate that very much.

-Final-

Aria♪
This, to put it bluntly, is amazing. I have never played the game on which the poem is based, but this poem itself paints a vivid picture of the area in my mind, while at the same time telling a story. It gives off the feeling of something beautiful and mysterious, yet at the same time sad. If that was your purpose, then I can truthfully say you have succeeded. And if your purpose was just to sound awesome, I'm afraid you've succeeded in that too. ;)

Like this poem, much of my writing (much being like 98% :rolleyes:) is inspired by music: mostly background music from anime series and video games, so I can relate to the feelings you had in writing this. I can imagine how awesome it would sound if this poem was turned into an actual song.

Seriously, though. Keep it up! Don't stop writing

:quill:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Wow! I really enjoyed that :).

You should invite Gnes to look over it. He's a Literature major I believe. He'd like this.

saigatachi

Smash Cadet
That was a great read. The poem was so soft and inviting. Really made me wanna play the FF game just to find that field. Plus is that you fighting in that video?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Wow! Man, I didn't expect to see this get any attention whatsoever, yet I come back on a whim to see all these awesome comments! :colorful:

Thanks a bunch, you guys! It means a great deal to me. This thing was a good 6-months off on and off writing--for some reason, something about that song and the vista of summer rain out my bedroom window compelled me to pour everything I had into it. Needless to say, such welcoming feedback makes me not regret a single second of it!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
This, to put it bluntly, is amazing. I have never played the game on which the poem is based, but this poem itself paints a vivid picture of the area in my mind, while at the same time telling a story. It gives off the feeling of something beautiful and mysterious, yet at the same time sad. If that was your purpose, then I can truthfully say you have succeeded. And if your purpose was just to sound awesome, I'm afraid you've succeeded in that too. ;)

Like this poem, much of my writing (much being like 98% :rolleyes:) is inspired by music: mostly background music from anime series and video games, so I can relate to the feelings you had in writing this. I can imagine how awesome it would sound if this poem was turned into an actual song.

Seriously, though. Keep it up! Don't stop writing

:quill:
Ironically, in light of my prose, I find myself unable to adequately thank you, sir! It's really cool to know you're into the whole visual adaptation of music idea as well. As for the musical aspect, I'm actually currently working on just that as we speak. :)

Wow! I really enjoyed that :).

You should invite Gnes to look over it. He's a Literature major I believe. He'd like this.
Thanks, Razer!

That was a great read. The poem was so soft and inviting. Really made me wanna play the FF game just to find that field. Plus is that you fighting in that video?
Thank you kindly, my friend. I look forward to the day you do play FF XII--the marriage of scenery and music throughout the game--Salikawood especially--is just phenomenal. I highly recommend it!

Also, yep, that's me. XD

Edit: Whoops, meant to edit my other post instead of making a new one. Shame on me. :laugh:

saigatachi

Smash Cadet
Man, I've never seen a Ganondorf played so well. You execute attacks so quickly, I had trouble even believing this was a Ganondorf fighting. It makes me wonder how you would do against my Dedede.
Shhiii. . . makes me excited just thinking about the epicness that would ensue.

Shinarouji

Smash Rookie
I'm guessing that the only reason this matches so well is because the source material is fantastic. You got lucky with this one.

I attempted to pick out a favorite part of this; the second verse matching up perfectly with the entrance of the keys (especially the chords with "This wood may never sleep, But surely it dreams" dear god), the soft elegy in the beginning or of course the orchestration, but after about ten minutes of thinking it over I'm just going to have to say that it's all fantastic. GEE WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT

There's a specific song from NieR that instantly popped into my mind upon hearing this (which I feel the need to berate you once again for still not having played it), but I can't for the life of me find it so here's Kainé's Theme in the meantime.

Edit: It's also somewhat reminiscent of the track The Lost Forest as well, but that's not it either. (Side note, who the hell names desert music after a forest? These Japanese composers I'm tellin ya)

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm guessing that the only reason this matches so well is because the source material is fantastic. You got lucky with this one.

I attempted to pick out a favorite part of this; the second verse matching up perfectly with the entrance of the keys (especially the chords with "This wood may never sleep, But surely it dreams" dear god), the soft elegy in the beginning or of course the orchestration, but after about ten minutes of thinking it over I'm just going to have to say that it's all fantastic. GEE WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT

There's a specific song from NieR that instantly popped into my mind upon hearing this (which I feel the need to berate you once again for still not having played it), but I can't for the life of me find it so here's Kainé's Theme in the meantime.

Edit: It's also somewhat reminiscent of the track The Lost Forest as well, but that's not it either. (Side note, who the hell names desert music after a forest? These Japanese composers I'm tellin ya)
dskjsaldasd';salkd';LSDKJ'LDJThankyouShinnnnn<3333

Also: I'MMA PLAY NIER SOON I PROMISE. After hearing the song you showed me with the woman singing in a Gaelic-esque tongue, I was sold! :colorful:

Top Bottom