• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Your reaction: Snake gets back in, but he is not voiced by David Hayter.

I'd be bummed. Just a bit.
I can see them replacing Hayter with Sutherland, but Sutherland is the voice of Big Boss or even more specifically Venom Snake (I can say Richard Doyle is the voice of Big Boss). And considering that the snake in Smash is supposed to be Solid Snake, it should be Hayter voicing him. Then again considering Lucas, they can also just recycle the old voice clips and I'd honestly be ok with that. But id be happy just to see Snake in Smash 4 period, Hayter or Sutherland.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think they'd just recycle the voice clips. You could get away with Snake just saying, "Kept you waiting, huh?" in his trailer and it'd be fine.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I can see them replacing Hayter with Sutherland, but Sutherland is the voice of Big Boss or even more specifically Venom Snake (I can say Richard Doyle is the voice of Big Boss). And considering that the snake in Smash is supposed to be Solid Snake, it should be Hayter voicing him. Then again considering Lucas, they can also just recycle the old voice clips and I'd honestly be ok with that. But id be happy just to see Snake in Smash 4 period, Hayter or Sutherland.
Though I'd love to see new Codecs for Mega-Man, Pac-Man, Lucina, Robin, Little Mac, Rosalina, Duck Hunt Dog, Dr.Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Ryu, Bowser Jr, Charizard, Villager, Mii Fighter, MewTwo, Roy, Ryu, Krystal (Who will likely be a DLC fighter), K Rool, and Issac

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just thinking about how practical it'd be for the voice to be recycled from Brawl, and yeah, I think you'd get away with it. You've got the basic elements there, the grunts and shouts that correspond to his different moves, and even the extra bits like his "eating" sound effect and victory quotes.

Even if his Final Smash was changed, "It's showtime!" would work for it. The only thing he'd need to say in his trailer is, "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Unfortunately, Codecs are out, but that at least means Hayter wouldn't need to be drafted to record any more dialogue. If Sakurai wanted to be coy, he could theoretically slip the existing Codec conversations into the Shadow Moses Island that would no doubt return with Snake. Shame there isn't time to work out a Palutena vs Snake conversation, but them's the breaks when you're on a much smaller budget for post-release content.

The only potential drawback I can see from this context is that he'd possibly retain the same taunt (singular) from Brawl, unless his new taunts, like his Brawl taunt, don't feature speech. Even so, I don't think anybody would if the cardboard box remained his taunt for each directional input. So really, I don't think there'd be any issues with it. I reckon it's kosher.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I think they might be able to get hayter to come back as snake.

In a recent interview with yongyea, Hayter said he may be able to come back to voice snake in future metal gear games, since Kojima is leaving.
It mean Kojima was the one who decided to get rid of Hayter for this game. If Snake makes it back in, Kojima will obviously not be able to give full support to the game(he could give sakurai a few ideas behind the scenes, though.) So, Hayter could come back.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I must admit, I've never heard Keifer Sutherland's performance as Big Boss / Venom Snake, since I have yet to play Ground Zeroes.

All I know is, Hayter is the voice of a generation~ ;3

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Sutherland's all well and good as Big Boss but Hayter's to Snake what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. You can replace them but no-one can better them.
Appropriate given Hayter's work on the first two X-Men films.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Sutherland's all well and good as Big Boss but Hayter's to Snake what Hugh Jackman is to Wolverine. You can replace them but no-one can better them.
Appropriate given Hayter's work on the first two X-Men films.
I think for the tone of MGSV sutherland's voice works much better. Hayter's voice is a hero's voice. Wouldn't really work for big boss when he's supposed to become the villain he does in MG 1&2.
I don't even know why Big Boss shared the same voice with Solid Snake. It makes no sense considering Solidus, the perfect clone of big boss, has a different voice from them.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think for the tone of MGSV sutherland's voice works much better. Hayter's voice is a hero's voice. Wouldn't really work for big boss when he's supposed to become the villain he does in MG 1&2.
I don't even know why Big Boss shared the same voice with Solid Snake. It makes no sense considering Solidus, the perfect clone of big boss, has a different voice from them.
Oh don't get me wrong. Sutherland's great for the tone of MGS V but I'll always prefer Hayter's voice.

To be fair when we saw Solidus he looked more like Old Big Boss than Young Big Boss whilst Solid Snake still looked like YBB.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I found this audio reaction video to the Brawl e3 trailer from 2006. Guess who gets the most applause?

Anyone else remember the mood of that pre-release Brawl period? It was such an exciting time. In a lot of ways, I feel like Brawl is the "climax" of the Smash series, in that the hype never seems to have been as strong back then. Coming off of the universally beloved Melee, expectations were high. It added some of the most requested newcomers, to the point that nowadays there aren't that many "obvious" choices for newcomers left (except maybe K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac...?). It changed the roster forever when Snake was added. I remember the pre-E3 discussion, when Sonic was considered less likely than Ridley. And the Subspace Emissary - regardless of how you feel about it, it was definitely a labor of love and far more ambitious than anything added to Smash before or since. There was definitely hype for 4, and I'm certain there was hype for Melee too, but I feel that pre-release period for Brawl was a level of feverish intensity that won't happen again. Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily.

Last edited:

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I found this audio reaction video to the Brawl e3 trailer from 2006. Guess who gets the most applause?

Anyone else remember the mood of that pre-release Brawl period? It was such an exciting time. In a lot of ways, I feel like Brawl is the "climax" of the Smash series, in that the hype never seems to have been as strong back then. Coming off of the universally beloved Melee, expectations were high. It added some of the most requested newcomers, to the point that nowadays there aren't that many "obvious" choices for newcomers left (except maybe K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac...?). It changed the roster forever when Snake was added. I remember the pre-E3 discussion, when Sonic was considered less likely than Ridley. And the Subspace Emissary - regardless of how you feel about it, it was definitely a labor of love and far more ambitious than anything added to Smash before or since. There was definitely hype for 4, and I'm certain there was hype for Melee too, but I feel that pre-release period for Brawl was a level of feverish intensity that won't happen again. Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily.
The truest words I've read regarding the anticipation of Brawl. I think one of the contributing factors of what made the Brawl craze intense was its unpredictability. Now, one could say that for Smash 4 and Smash games for generations hence -- but Brawl truly chiseled the Smash formula into something wholly unique. Something more ambitious, oozing with substance and passion that was sprawled with sentiment toward the fans. Brawl introduced, for the first in the series, third party characters (thanks to our man :snake:) and it was at that point on where anything could happen. The fact that Brawl now had a structured narrative tied with cutscenes made the anticipation quite unbearable. How were our favorite characters going to interact with each other? How was Pikachu going to interact with Samus, or Snake with Zelda? It felt like we were all sitting together around a campfire, and Sakurai was orchestrating our entertainment with such passion.

It seemed as though the buildup towards Brawl's release was the most unified the Smash community had been. We were all so very excited as a community, knowing that at that point there'd be nothing to lose (except :roymelee:,:pichumelee:,:younglinkmelee:, and :mewtwomelee:) but much more to gain. We were going to be able to play against others online? We are also given the tools to create the stages we wanted? Now there's a hefty campaign added in? Well holy moly me oh my.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I'm a little salty about Hayter not voicing Snake in MGS5. I think Sutherland does a great job, and sufficiently differentiates Big Boss from Solid Snake, but Hayter will always be the real Snake.

I actually watched that exact video a couple days ago, lol. :seuss:
I suppose you're all familiar with DSP's MGS playthroughs?
Oh my gosh, DSP is my ultimate guilty pleasure. I can't stop.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
On the whole Sutherland thing, I think he's a great voice, though I only associate him to the bandanna less Big Boss/Venom Snake. Even if we were to see Big Boss playable through a costume, it just wouldn't feel right to me if its based off any other design.

That said, I'd still take his voice over ripped Brawl voice clips, since newly recorded lines make the character feel even more fresh to me. But I don't think getting Hayter to record new lines is out of the picture at all; I even remember the (cancelled) Metal gear 1 fan remake managed to get him to voice Solid Snake.

Anyway, I just saw this fanart now.

When there's another MGS game exclusive to a Nintendo console, they would definitely need to have a Splatoon side game like they did Ape Escape. It just screams for it with how stealth is kind of involved in Splatoon. Or at least get some side missions like Monster Hunter.
I dream of having Inkling and Snake released in the next dlc wave, oh cry.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
On the whole Sutherland thing, I think he's a great voice, though I only associate him to the bandanna less Big Boss/Venom Snake. Even if we were to see Big Boss playable through a costume, it just wouldn't feel right to me if its based off any other design.

That said, I'd still take his voice over ripped Brawl voice clips, since newly recorded lines make the character feel even more fresh to me. But I don't think getting Hayter to record new lines is out of the picture at all; I even remember the (cancelled) Metal gear 1 fan remake managed to get him to voice Solid Snake.

Anyway, I just saw this fanart now.

When there's another MGS game exclusive to a Nintendo console, they would definitely need to have a Splatoon side game like they did Ape Escape. It just screams for it with how stealth is kind of involved in Splatoon. Or at least get some side missions like Monster Hunter.
I dream of having Inkling and Snake released in the next dlc wave, oh cry.
First there was Punished Snake. Now there's 'Splatted' Snake.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

I know right, though I had no idea the Smash community existed, I have read some pre Brawl threads and Now I agree, I think you forgot another obvious choice for Smash, let me give you a hint as to who I am talking about: She's from a franchise that already has two reps (with a popular 3rd vet rumored to be coming back as DLC), she's the highest requested character not named K Rool or Issac, she has great moveset potential, and she was considered for Brawl and was part of a VA rumor before Brawl

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I know right, though I had no idea the Smash community existed, I have read some pre Brawl threads and Now I agree, I think you forgot another obvious choice for Smash, let me give you a hint as to who I am talking about: She's from a franchise that already has two reps (with a popular 3rd vet rumored to be coming back as DLC), she's the highest requested character not named K Rool or Issac, she has great moveset potential, and she was considered for Brawl and was part of a VA rumor before Brawl
I respectfully disagree. Stop making "facts" up. :/
Let's just stay on topic.

It's almost time for MGSV, peeps!
Hoping for a glimpse of Solid Snake.
Am I to only one who thinks the new Metal Gear looks weird with arms? It's so odd for me to see one with arms. I'm so used to legs-only Metal Gear. :v

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
My only concern with the new Metal Gear is that it have a gun... in that place.

D

Deleted member

Has anybody posted this?
Also put on the Supporter list, because why not?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I run gz at like 15fps, but it isn't a problem for me. I have enough money for tpp, but I want experience it in its full glory(1080p 60fps).

Should I get it tomorrow or wait till I get another platform.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
In case Snake gets in, and the medic storyline turns out true, would it be OK if the different "Snake skins" are all of the different "Snake" incarnations? Soild would be the defaulft, but we would have Naked, Venom, Old and maybe even Solidus. Liquid himself might be hard, so maybe no.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I run gz at like 15fps, but it isn't a problem for me. I have enough money for tpp, but I want experience it in its full glory(1080p 60fps).

Should I get it tomorrow or wait till I get another platform.
I'm going to be picking it up on PS3, because my computer isn't upgraded yet. Around Christmas I'll get the PC version and upgrade for those delicious graphical and framerate upgrades. Man, I'm going to feel so gimped playing on the PS3. My only big problem with most open world titles on console is that since the draw distance is bad, enemies and the like only come into view from a certain distance. Hopefully once I upgrade my PC I'll have no problem with it.

I can't wait. Totally recommend picking it up on console if your PC isn't up to snuff for the best experience, although we don't really know how PP will run on last gen do we?

Really sucks when you're super huge into sniping, and enemies don't show up until you get a little closer. I hear the console versions of Watch Dogs really suffered from this.
Or at least get some side missions like Monster Hunter.
Peace Walker has a ton of side missions just like Monster Hunter. Including a side mission where you actually fight Monster Hunter monsters. Forget which ones, but hey, more monster hunter stuff the better! I'm in love with MH4U.
Speaking of, I find it odd that there's not any Metal Gear content in MH4 when there was MH content in Peace Walker. Doubly so because MH4 has tons of costumes from other franchises like Mega Man, Zelda and Metroid.
In case Snake gets in, and the medic storyline turns out true, would it be OK if the different "Snake skins" are all of the different "Snake" incarnations?
Thinking about it I'd love if whoever works on costumes had a different costume for every "Snake" (good lord we do have a lot of them) but I'd be perfectly happy with good old sneaking suit Solid Snake and maybe a jungle fatigues Big Boss if anything. Would totally play a Solidus alt though.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Seeing as some use this thread to write about their overall sensations and experiences on the Smash series and Brawl, I would love to write them here but man even with my constant throat probelms it is hard for me to write properly. Plus the input lag of my laptop.

Also, I wonder if Kojima did not wanted MGSV on Wii U as he was sure there would be backlash on the reactions to the story and prevented for the Wii U to carry such weight.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Seeing as some use this thread to write about their overall sensations and experiences on the Smash series and Brawl, I would love to write them here but man even with my constant throat probelms it is hard for me to write properly. Plus the input lag of my laptop.

Also, I wonder if Kojima did not wanted MGSV on Wii U as he was sure there would be backlash on the reactions to the story and prevented for the Wii U to carry such weight.
I think it was more of a Konami decision. Let's be honest the Wii U's install base really isn't all that good and Konami wouldn't make their money back on it on top of Kojima games being expensive enough as it is.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm going to be picking it up on PS3, because my computer isn't upgraded yet. Around Christmas I'll get the PC version and upgrade for those delicious graphical and framerate upgrades. Man, I'm going to feel so gimped playing on the PS3. My only big problem with most open world titles on console is that since the draw distance is bad, enemies and the like only come into view from a certain distance. Hopefully once I upgrade my PC I'll have no problem with it.

I can't wait. Totally recommend picking it up on console if your PC isn't up to snuff for the best experience, although we don't really know how PP will run on last gen do we?

Really sucks when you're super huge into sniping, and enemies don't show up until you get a little closer. I hear the console versions of Watch Dogs really suffered from this.

Peace Walker has a ton of side missions just like Monster Hunter. Including a side mission where you actually fight Monster Hunter monsters. Forget which ones, but hey, more monster hunter stuff the better! I'm in love with MH4U.
Speaking of, I find it odd that there's not any Metal Gear content in MH4 when there was MH content in Peace Walker. Doubly so because MH4 has tons of costumes from other franchises like Mega Man, Zelda and Metroid.

Thinking about it I'd love if whoever works on costumes had a different costume for every "Snake" (good lord we do have a lot of them) but I'd be perfectly happy with good old sneaking suit Solid Snake and maybe a jungle fatigues Big Boss if anything. Would totally play a Solidus alt though.
I don't have a console that is getting the game. Well, I guess I'll wait. I'm trying to beat peace walker first so I'll do that.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
You want to know what the real Phantom Pain is?
Hearing Snake get name-dropped in the Smash Bros Wii U Direct. It happened a year ago, but it still irks me to this day they'd name drop such an important (missing) character. I remember holding onto a bit of hope he'd be revealed as dlc later in the direct, but then Mewtwo happened...
The only thing they can do that'd be worse is putting SSBB on the VC and not bring him back as a fighter.

Jaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Jesus198
3DS FC
0018-0853-2663
You want to know what the real Phantom Pain is?
Hearing Snake get name-dropped in the Smash Bros Wii U Direct. It happened a year ago, but it still irks me to this day they'd name drop such an important (missing) character. I remember holding onto a bit of hope he'd be revealed as dlc later in the direct, but then Mewtwo happened...
The only thing they can do that'd be worse is putting SSBB on the VC and not bring him back as a fighter.
Do you mean this?

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
I'm back folks... feels good! Phantom Pain releasing and the speculation for Snake and the ballot has gotten me in hype overdrive!

Do you mean this?

He was referring to the Snake codec reference when they were showing off Pit's conversation thingy

Last edited:
Top Bottom