• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

MTTR.Akter

Smash Apprentice
I would not settle for that, not only would it make everyone jump to the conclusion that "see he never mattered anyway". And i dont think sakurai would do that, especially when snakes moves are tailored to him, using the weapons from his games in how they function. Most of the characters (barring the grandfathered in clones) mimmick or at least take great inspiration from the games they hail from in function and gimmick wise, it would be a disservice to snake and the new character if we ended up with that.

Give me snake or give me death, either have him complete or nothing.

----
And lets move away from the k rool talk, the prosperity of the snake thread demands that we move forward.

I can agree to this. If Snake's moveset was given to some one else, it wouldn't justify anything other than " here's a character with a moveset like a past character". Honestly, if Snake isn't going to come then don't bother giving the moveset to someone else to make us feel satisfied or something. Snake's moveset if anything is unique to him. It incorporates MGS moments in the specials

Nikita - MGS1
C3 - MGS3 (especially when it is a dragonfly)
Cypher - MGS2
and grenades in every MGS game.

We just gotten keep fighting for Snake, and keep supporting him til the end!

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I still hold in the firm belief we will see a Snake in Smash.

Keifer said he voiced a MK game, which has proven to be not true, so the obvious other choice is Smash.

Second - to go along with this Mii stuff - we have the Chicken Mii hat. Kojima made a big deal about that announcement in MGSV =p

Think they are just saving it to be released closer to MGSV or shortly there after.

MTTR.Akter

Smash Apprentice
The day Snake comes along, I will buy him, wait until the TV screen shows Snake's unlocked screen and I will say right there...

"Snake....what took you so long?"

Then I'll sing Snake Eater all day.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I would not settle for that, not only would it make everyone jump to the conclusion that "see he never mattered anyway". And i dont think sakurai would do that, especially when snakes moves are tailored to him, using the weapons from his games in how they function. Most of the characters (barring the grandfathered in clones) mimmick or at least take great inspiration from the games they hail from in function and gimmick wise, it would be a disservice to snake and the new character if we ended up with that.

Give me snake or give me death, either have him complete or nothing.

----
And lets move away from the k rool talk, the prosperity of the snake thread demands that we move forward.
I suppose so. The biggest issue is always the silence for me. Since snake being 3rd party changes things compared to a lot of the other most wanted characters. Since there's more there than just nintendo saying yes. Though I suppose silence is better than "maybe" that never comes.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
(Meanwhile my dream of a Chrom Mii swordfighter costume is complete. If only they gave Lyn as well...)

Well I know what I'm doing to my Snake mii fighter this Friday.
I honestly died of laughter :laugh::laugh::laugh: I'm putting that in the King K Rool thread. That's golden :snake:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Now a Big Boss/Raiden/Ocelot/Gray Fox Mii skin would make more sense in addition to Snake.
Ocelot Mii Gunner costume. And if hit by a sword character, the hand falls off. (Even though that would never happen)

--
*codec ringing*
Snake: Otacon, there's a guy here wearing a crocodile suit.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
Ocelot Mii Gunner costume. And if hit by a sword character, the hand falls off. (Even though that would never happen)
If he had a costume for it, Gray Fox would certainly make me feel alive again when playing as the Swordfighter.

On the note of people wanting Snake back for Smash 4; comedy sketch group Mega64 held a panel at Anime Expo and just uploaded a video of it. At the 9:23 mark, a fan asked them which third party character they'd like to see win the Ballot, and Snake was one of the answers. The crowd's reaction is quite radical.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There's a Loyd Irving costume for mii fighter. More third party content, yet no snake.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's a Loyd Irving costume for mii fighter. More third party content, yet no snake.
I'd personally base it on the fact that Namco is already listed in the game's credits so it was easy there. They could easily also make a Bayonetta Mii costume if they wanted or if Bayo herself was deemed too risque, since Sega, her series' publisher, is credited as well.

Since Konami has yet to be credited if they will be, nothing on Snake has appeared yet. I'm surprised we didn't even get a trophy of him in the vanilla release tbh.

FreezeGuy64

Smash Cadet
Well i do support Snake's return, tbh he's one of my mains in Project M, i'll be damn happy to see him back ^_^

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
I figured you guys would be talking about Snake being reveled tomorrow!
I don't think that we will get anything huge tomorrow, but I do think that there could be an announcement for future content. Every update since the Mewtwo and Lucas Direct teased something to build up hype. We might not get a character announcement, but we will likely get some sort of announcement very soon.

Considering Phantom Pain's release date, it would be a great time for a Snake announcement. But just like every other update, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. All we can do is keep our morale high.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
@ Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura i like your thinking with Bayonetta. Big fan of Bayonetta.

I don't know guys.. Snake's been getting alot of popularity now than he was in 2014. Sakurai is a troll to you know. We may not get a character tomorrow considering the fact we got 3 in June. Tomorrow is a Smash Direct right?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
@ Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura i like your thinking with Bayonetta. Big fan of Bayonetta.

I don't know guys.. Snake's been getting alot of popularity now than he was in 2014. Sakurai is a troll to you know. We may not get a character tomorrow considering the fact we got 3 in June. Tomorrow is a Smash Direct right?
No Direct announced as of yet. Maybe when the update goes live we can get some dataminers to use their magic and find us some character files.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

I don't think a direct has been confirmed. I think it's possible that any teaser content might be revealed in an upcoming August direct.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
No Direct announced as of yet. Maybe when the update goes live we can get some dataminers to use their magic and find us some character files.
If they find a file that goes "dun dun da da da, dah dah dah!", I will cry.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I honestly don't think Nintendo will make the same mistake twice. I know Snake has a high chance of returning, but not right now. He's probably just gonna keep us waiting a little longer. Of course I would love to eat my words. They would so sweet with a hint of salt.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
snd_bgm_Z84_F_JohnnySasaki_3DS.nus3bank
For a moment, I thought that was a file discovered in a rom dump. My mind immediately assumed Trophy, but judging by @ FeenieTheTrite FeenieTheTrite 's comment, its now obvious to me you meant character. He already took Snake's girl, now he's taking his spot in Smash?

Edit: Rom was autocorrected to room.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I wish Hayter would have answered me when I asked. I was trying to see how the contract was for brawl in terms of VA. Though if it's like Lucas, seems that any work done with brawl should easily be transferable. So snake probably would just be hayter again which I have no problem with.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Found this on gamefaqs, pretty funny:
"Ok so, Sakurai?"

"Yes?"

"You went to Konami"

"Yes?"

"Talked with them about adding MGS content to Smash 4."

"Indeed we did."

"They told you you could use MGS content in Smash 4"

"Yes, the talks went over very well and there was no conflict."

"And you took this opportunity to use the MGS rights. To make a Mii Gunner costume?"

"Yes, I hope you enjoy it alongside Chrom, Wolf, and K. Rool."

"Why would Konami be alright with this?"

"They don't really give a s*** what happens with MGS anymore."

"And why would YOU do this then?"

"Because those f***boys screwed over my homeboy Kojima."

"Alright then."

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I was browsing through some old pages of this thread, from way back in 2013. I stumbled upon this gem:
"When's Phantom Pain going to be released?"
"It's been said sometime in 2014."

I laughed way too hard at this.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel bad for having the first ever reply to this thread and it being me doubting Snake's return.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My first post was on page 16.
You know I personally think that snake is in completely but Nintendo and Mr. Sakurai don't have a good time to announce him. He may end up being a secret character all the way up to release if that's the case. I think Sakurai wants to highlight the new characters in the Nintendo Directs so I think he will be announced when Nintendo thinks its best. Who knows it could be tomorrow.
And you know, I didn't even give an introduction... I just kinda busted in with an overwhelming amount of optimism.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Oh younglings. My first post was back on Page 6.
Disclaimer: While I am Biased for Snake to return, my only goal in this essay is to try and shead some light on the facts and help develop peoples arguments.

Snake's return in Smash is one of the most debated topics about the game. As with any debate, there are two sides to this argument.

Pro Snake Side:
-Snake is a unique character
-Snake is popular among smashers
-Snake is a Smash Icon
-Snake will return unless Sakurai and/or Kojima says so

Anti Snake Side:
-Snake isn't a Nintendo Character
-Snake is out of place
-Snake advertises for the competition

From what I've read, the anti side seems to making a more logical argument. However, one thing I think they have failed to noticed is that their argument could be the very reason why snake returns.

SSBB was released before the release of MGS4, so the MGS franchise within Smash contained multiple element from all of their games, but most predominantly the yet-to-be released MGS4 (ex. Gekko appearing on Shadow Moses). So nevertheless Konami was advertising through Smash, and Snake became a popular character, not just because of his competitive viability, but because of his unique and entertaining play style. As gamers like myself played the character, they got attached to him and wanted to know more about him. They would look him up, and learn not just about Snake, but the whole MGS Franchise. And MGS is one of the best series of games I have ever played. It one of those games were once you pick it up, you can't put it back down.

However the opposite is also true. Snake also appeals to gamers who already like MGS beforehand, and they might start taking an interest in Smash, and may lead them to get addicted to all the other games franchises within, such as the Legend of Zelda or Metroid. This in turn generates profit for Nintendo.

So now we have a a group of gamers who not only love Smash, but also MGS. An as Eddybear asked earlier in this thread (Page 4, post #136) "If Snake wasn't included, would it be a dealbreaker for buying SSB4 for you?" These Smash/MGS fans now have to ask themselves, "Do I want to buy this $60 Smash game when I can just download Project M?" and potentially a $300 Wii U? (Let's face it, the Wii U isn't doing so hot right now).

So Nintendo now has to choices
1.) Advertise Snake and MGS and appeal to a good chunk of gamers who might not otherwise take interest in their games, but risk upping sales of their competition.
2.) Cut Snake and MGS and lose appeal to a chunk of gamers, but prevent advertising for our competition.

Snake's fate in SSB4 depends on a multitude of factors, such as what Nintendo sees on the most profitable decision and if there's enough push from the fans, but in the end, it is S
akurai's decision.
I got a different later on because this was an old was with a crappy name.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I'm just sitting here waiting for that update. Excited what they'll find in the files and what they'll add.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wouldn't think they would make the same mistake twice. Then again, I didn't think they'd make the mistake of relegating a popular choice for a playable character into an NPC role multiple times over, and yet (apparently) here we are.

Last edited:
Top Bottom