• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash 3 Project - All Characters Released

Should we release our source PSDs?

• Yes

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one

Smash 3 is a visual overhaul of Brawl, with the goal of bringing Smash 4's visual style to Brawl. Though we'll be bringing the visual style, we don't plan on replicating Smash 4 1:1, as there are some things that just can't be brought over. We won't be adding Smash 4 characters. We won't be adding Smash 4 gameplay. We won't be adding Young Link.
Think of it like Brawl was developed with the visual style of Smash 4.

How did this come about?
Taiko, after seeing Smash Wii U/3DS Mario, wanted to attempt to create him in Brawl, but by making the textures from scratch. As he was working, someone else beat him to the punch with a "Smash 4 Mario" making him reconsider. Instead of dropping the idea, he decided to continue with his own brand of characters labelled "New Smash" and released two characters under said label. As he was preparing to continue, Shun sent him a message that he wanted to assist...

Shun, nearing wrap up of his "Vibrant Brawl" project was looking for the next texture project to tackle. He knew he couldn't just do another "recolour" project, as that wouldn't be a "step up" from what he had accomplished previously. Then, he saw Taiko's New Smash Mario and was intrigued. Sending Taiko a message, the two began to talk and ideas started to snow ball for New Smash. However, as the two worked, they realized this project had a specific goal, and thus the name "Smash 3" was coined.

Original Smash 3
Our original goal was to create Nintendo-eqsue textures for all the characters. As we finished characters though, we realized that with our original goal, not all characters looked "right." Some characters simply needed more complex textures to capture their feel correctly, namely the more complex ones. We've detailed the process here, so take a look if you're interested!

- Downloads -

The main download pack. Includes everything currently finished with menu assets pre-installed. Does not include additional costume slots.

Who contributed to this?
These folks:

Project Starters:
Taiko & Shun_One

Volunteers to Help Create content
IWantGames
Tailsmiles249
KTH
Scout
Satoshi-Kura
Codex
Amazerommu
Large Leader
Moblin
Nano
Layell
Aghanim

Contributed indirectly, by either granting use of their work or helping with fixing things
Starwaffle
ASF1nk
Mewtwo2000
Draco_The

Special Thanks
Satoru Iwata
Masahiro Sakurai
Phantom Wings
Galaga
And all of you for supporting us.

How do I install this?
We've included instructions in the Pack download. Please read them.

Can you guys fix Mewtwo's legs? They're weird looking.
We cannot, they are animated in the same way as Project M Mewtwo. We would have to re-animate them to be not-weird and then he'd be not safe for tourney play.

After installing the HUD, my game freezes!
Some people are having issues with it. We have no idea why, and have spent several hours trying to find out why this is. If the HUD has frozen your game, please tell us what mods you are using.
If you figure out the cause, please let us know! We'll be happy to fix it.

I think I encountered a bug, what do I do?
First off, see if you can make it happen again. If so, post in the thread with what you did to trigger it.
Do keep in mind that we can't guarantee something will work if you've modified the file or stacked another mod on top of it.

Can you walk me through every aspect of getting Brawl mods to work?
No. Refer to this guide: http://smashboards.com/threads/texture-and-vertex-hack-database-how-to-thread.232455/

Are you going to do the Project M alternate costumes?
No. Please understand that retexturing Brawl is already a huge task in itself. Doing the Project M costumes would basically double our work. We will, however, supply recolors to fill the Project M slots.

Can I modify your stuff? And who do I credit?
Yes. Just be sure to credit either "Smash 3 Team" or the individual users who contributed should you release it.

Do you take requests?
No, no we don't. You can use edit our textures to make your own, though.

I made this cool recolor using your textures! Can you guys officially add it?
Sorry, but that's not in the cards.
However, you're free to upload your recolor to the Vault! Just remember to give us proper credit.

Can I use these textures for my custom build/pack?
Of course! Just remember to give us proper credit!

When will this be completed?
For all intents and purposes, it’s done. Some team members may occasionally pop their head in and adjust something though.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Now I definitely need to start one of my own threads. That Link looks so damn good man. Can't wait to see how you guys tackle the more realistic characters like Snake, Samus and the FE cast.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful. This has me really hype guys! I may need to insert a file patch code just so I can keep both projects ready to go. By the by, are Marth and Ike being considered, or is this going to stay in the realm of the more non-realistic characters?
Edit: No, I didn't forget our own Marquess of Pherae, he doesn't slip a Project M fan's mind easily at this point.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful. This has me really hype guys! I may need to insert a file patch code just so I can keep both projects ready to go. By the by, are Marth and Ike being considered, or is this going to stay in the realm of the more non-realistic characters?
Edit: No, I didn't forget our own Marquess of Pherae, he doesn't slip a Project M fan's mind easily at this point.
The entire Brawl cast will be completed in this style. This also goes for any characters exclusive to Project M (like Roy)

210stuna

Smash Lord
This is the big kahuna you guys have been training for.

Let your imagination and determination take you places and let us see the ride with the works of art you all present us.
We should all feel honored to witness your treasures and even more so with the generosity of you all giving the community a chance to use them first hand.

Simple marvelous.
Thank you Shun & Taiko plus the rest who are making this project happen.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
This is glorious. What we have out so far gives me massive hype for the future.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
^ Yeah. This is awesome. lol Nothing short of it. Probably you guys' best work yet from what I've seen. And cBliss! That changes everything. I'll be using these as soon as I can get some work done (now with proper motivation)...

EDIT: Did Taiko do the Sonic portrait pose up there with him wagging his finger? It's beyond cool; even better than SJS's, I'd say.

Taiko

Smash Ace
EDIT: Did Taiko do the Sonic portrait pose up there with him wagging his finger? It's beyond cool; even better than SJS's, I'd say.
I did! It went through about 5 revisions before I got it right, glad to hear you like it!

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I downloaded the Sonic pack and I'm loving it. My only question is about the FitSonic.pac and the motion pac. They don't seem to be required, but what purpose do they hold for Project M users?

Taiko

Smash Ace
I downloaded the Sonic pack and I'm loving it. My only question is about the FitSonic.pac and the motion pac. They don't seem to be required, but what purpose do they hold for Project M users?
I thought I may have forgotten to mention something. The moveset files use replaced textures, otherwise they're identical to the vBrawl / Project M movesets.
If you downloaded the individual Sonic pack before this morning, the pack didn't have Project M files. I updated it, so there's a Project M option in the download now.
Here are a few screenshots of what's changed:

New runtrails (as well as runtrails for the recolours that support it)
New spin attack overlay
New Generations-inspired spring

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Speaking of sanic... WHY ISNT ANYONE TALKIN ABOUT HIM RETURNING IN SSB4

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I thought I may have forgotten to mention something. The moveset files use replaced textures, otherwise they're identical to the vBrawl / Project M movesets.
If you downloaded the individual Sonic pack before this morning, the pack didn't have Project M files. I updated it, so there's a Project M option in the download now.
Here are a few screenshots of what's changed:

New runtrails (as well as runtrails for the recolours that support it)
New spin attack overlay
New Generations-inspired spring
Those are fantastic. I haven't been able to download yet, but I'm so much more excited now.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I did! It went through about 5 revisions before I got it right, glad to hear you like it!
Time well spent, man! If it isn't too much trouble, could I ask you to do a personal CSP for me with that pose? It's really reminiscent of his character.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Time well spent, man! If it isn't too much trouble, could I ask you to do a personal CSP for me with that pose? It's really reminiscent of his character.
Sure, send me a PM with the files!

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Nice! I was wondering why those files were includes. If you guys think any other characters are a good place for new flair, I'd love to see what you come up with. :D

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Man, you guys are putting a lot on your plate. Best of luck to you on this one. :p I'd be honored to do a celeb-texture. Hit me up if you're ever stumped on something or need ideas or criticism. I'm afk a lot but Skype is usually up. Leave me one!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
PLEASE DO FALCON NEXT! :D
Falcon would be really cool... he doesn't have too many things that are really bright. Vibrant was the closest thing to that, and it does the job of making a realistic Falcon look sweet, but it'd be great to see him look more classic!

Taiko

Smash Ace
Well, Shun, Taiko, Doc's here. Any plans?
Hmm?

I was considering releasing this, but if PMBR is going to be releasing their own Dr. Mario model, it'll probably be better than this one (this is the older one on KCMM, lots of errors on this one)
I can either release this now, and update when the PMBR rolls their own Dr. Mario out, or I can wait until they release theirs and do it then.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
That Doc looks pretty damn good. It's up to you guys, but I do hope to see what you do with that Pik model. The rigging and overall model of that coat just looks impeccable....

KingFeraligatr

Smash Cadet
Is this compatible with Project M? Like having more than 5 or 6 costumes is what I mean.
Hmm?

I was considering releasing this, but if PMBR is going to be releasing their own Dr. Mario model, it'll probably be better than this one (this is the older one on KCMM, lots of errors on this one)
I can either release this now, and update when the PMBR rolls their own Dr. Mario out, or I can wait until they release theirs and do it then.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Is this compatible with Project M? Like having more than 5 or 6 costumes is what I mean.
It is. You'll just need to use the .GCT we have in the pack. It's plug-and-play, so you'll be able to download the main pack and just drop the files in.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Hmm?

This looks so awesome... personally, I would rather have it with the complete rigging and stuff, just because of perfectionism and all, but I'm sure a lot of people would like it early. It'll be great to see this at work with the new Doc.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
3.0 looks like it's beginning to put a lot on the plates of these costume projects.
In the best way possible, though. Not saying it won't be hard and time consuming, because I know it will be, but Taiko, Shun, and everyone here are gonna love Nintendo-esque textures on P:M detailed models...

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Man, you guys are putting a lot on your plate. Best of luck to you on this one. :p I'd be honored to do a celeb-texture. Hit me up if you're ever stumped on something or need ideas or criticism. I'm afk a lot but Skype is usually up. Leave me one!
Why, Apples, you're always welcome to drop a guest texture!

I heard you guys like previews, so have some previews:
:luigi2::falcon:

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Why, Apples, you're always welcome to drop a guest texture!

I heard you guys like previews, so have some previews:
[collapse=Preview 2/10/13]
[/collapse]
:luigi2::falcon:
I would very much like to see Apples give one a try.

Not that Luigi is less than amazing, but I think that's the best CF I've ever seen...

Top Bottom