• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Small in Biggie-Smalls: Vikkikitty

Getting into commentary can be a daunting task for anyone, as it takes skill and hard work. Being able to create chemistry with fellow casters, having in-depth knowledge of the game and players, and constant study all come with the job, and commentary is heavily scrutinized by fans and viewers alike. Vikkikitty has been doing commentary since late October at Versus Gaming Center and has been showing how a lady commentator can hold down the mic during matches. We sat down for an interview to discuss her adventures in commentary as a woman in Smash.

---

Vikkikitty On The Mic at Frame Perfect

SmashCapps: Thank you so much for the interview! How about to introduce yourself to those out there who might not know who you are.

Vikkikitty: Not a problem! Alright let's begin: I'm currently a caster, competitor, and streamer in the community. I was actually first introduced into the community last May/June, with no knowledge that one of my favorite games had such a big family with people scattered all over the world. I first started casting around late October at Versus Gaming Center, everyone suggested it so I gave it a try and I loved sharing information about the game.

SmashCapps: So who was it that got you into casting? Was there a big moment when you decided you needed to do this and took the plunge?

Vikkikitty: It was more myself that took the step towards doing so. I used to spectate the main screen and mentally note the habits of both players, what could be done to get out of a tricky situation, how each player is adapting to the other, and specifically what the characters the players were using could do that may make a difference in a stock or not. So much always went through my head until I thought, "hey, why don't I just verbally express all of this as a caster?" Now it's helped me grasp a different view towards the game and has helped me improve in different ways, especially as a competitor.

SmashCapps: Did you have any fears going in being a lady commentator with the likes of Twitch Chat, Youtube Comments, and the like?

Vikkikitty: I always watched old VODS to study my own matches and others'. I knew prior to commentating how Twitch Chat and YouTube comments can be. I always go back to watch my commentary and what I could improve with it. Funny enough, I actually read every single comment that has to do with me, in hopes that it's a form of criticism to help me be a better caster. YouTube, in particularly, has helped with that. So no, I didn't really fear anything the chat has to say since it's just that, a virtual chat! Only time I was probably close to nervous was when I commentated MVG and made the mistake in seeing how many people were watching!

SmashCapps: Is it tough to be in front of such large audiences?

Vikkikitty: I'm used to commentating to an audience of about 500-800 individuals, weird enough I'm okay with those numbers but when you give me 6,000 - 8,000, then that's definitely something to grow accustomed to. Naturally, I'm really charismatic and I like bouncing off my partner's synergy, so growing comfortable with a large crowd wasn't as tough as I thought!

SmashCapps: How tough is it at times to mesh with fellow commentators? Is it an under appreciated skill in commentary?

Vikkikitty: Since the start, I always commentated with my duo partner and it went so well that we were given the name Biggie Smalls. Recently though, I've been trying to gather experience from bouncing off other commentators with all different styles and approaches to commentating. I didn't want to grow too comfortable with just ONE caster so I've been trying to experiment outside the box. It's definitely not easy, especially if your partner is new at casting but it helps build patience and a form of connection with the other individual you're casting with. If you're commentating with someone new, you're not sure how they're going to bounce back from you. Are they a supporting commentator? Do they like taking the lead? Those type of roles are usually taken with duo casting. I do think it's an under appreciated skill.

Biggie Smalls in action at Frame Perfect

SmashCapps: What would you say has been the largest challenge you've faced so far in commentary, and how did you overcome it?

Vikkikitty: Probably getting information incorrect. I learn new things about this game on a daily basis and I've learned that casters are very important and are always heard first by the viewer. If you mess one thing up, they won't give you any mercy. Although, nothing to that extent has necessarily happened to me, I've seen it happen to other commentators and the emotional toll it can take on them. To prevent this from happening to me, I sit and study previous VODs and players. Especially players that play underused characters like Shulk. Based on what I've read before, the moment chat realizes it's a female behind commentary, a lot immediately discredit your knowledge on what you're casting, until you impress them.

SmashCapps: Would you say that this study and having detailed notes on facts is vital for good commentary?

Vikkikitty: I do think so yes, it's like anything else you consider a hobby. You'll never improve if you don't see your mistakes and mold those mistakes to the best of your ability. Sometimes I cringe at hearing myself cause I feel like I can do SO much better, but we tend to judge ourselves pretty hard and there's no need to do so, when you can just get back up in commentary and do better than the last time.

SmashCapps: What would you say then is your best commentary moment thus far, and what is your worst?

Vikkikitty: I would like to say Frame Perfect in both aspects. It was a breakthrough for me as a commentator and it made me realize there's a lot more to it than just casting in front of such a large crowd. I thoroughly loved doing it. Now, in a negative way, it was also not the best moment for me as I was pretty fresh as a caster with about a month of experience. The nerves definitely sank in but I learned in the process how to overcome it. The feedback and comments I've read helped mold me into a much better commentator.

SmashCapps: Have you faced any issues specifically as a woman in your adventures thus far within the Smash community?

Vikkikitty: Haha, well it's not very common to find a female at a tournament, nonetheless find one who's very serious about the game. There's a lot of belittling in the community but that's only a portion of the community, a lot of others are very happy to see diversity grow within our family. After Genesis 3, I was introduced to so many other young ladies who also see Smash the same way as I do.

SmashCapps: Ah! So did you get to attend the Smash Sisters event?

Vikkikitty: I did! I hosted the Smash 4 Female Crew battle with great help. Although, the Smash Sisters mainly focused around Melee, I wanted to share some love to Smash 4, as well!

SmashCapps: How did you feel about the event after? Are you excited to see more of them in the future?

Vikkikitty: It was exciting! I made so many new friends that are spread out across the country. I'm hoping for there to be more diversity with the Smash games in the Smash Sister group! It'd be cool to get equal appreciation for Smash 64, Melee, and 4. I can't wait to see them all again at the next major I attend.

SmashCapps: So what would you say to anyone else who's a lady Smasher and wants to get into commentary? Would you have any advice for them?

Vikkikitty: I would say to hop on that commentary and embrace all the silly comments and acknowledge the important criticism that make you a better caster! Don't give up even if people give you a hard time, everyone starts somewhere. Confidence is important!

SmashCapps: Any words of encouragement for women Smashers who have yet to attend an event to get them to come?

Vikkikitty: It's absolutely a lifetime experience. My first major was CEO and after that I was hooked forever. The experience, the new friendships, the different places... Women are just as capable of placing in the top 8 as men. It's possible, we're just the minority that's growing by the day. Go to your first tournament, go 0-2, learn from your losses, repeat until that 0-2 turns into 1st place. Don't be afraid to speak out and again, make new friends!

SmashCapps: Excellent! Is there anyone or anything you want to shout out before we finish?

Vikkikitty: I'd also like to give a shout out to DJ Jack's upcoming stream http://twitch.tv/dj_arcatek. It'll be ready within the month where he'll be performing viewer battles and tips for upcoming players that would like to improve!

---​

Want to see Vikkikitty in action? Tune in to Versus Gaming Center weeklies every Thursday at 8:30pm EST to see her commentate pro player matches like NickRiddle, 8bitman, Xaltis, DJ Jack, Seibrik, MVD and more! She also streams every week on Twitch and can be found on Twitter @VGvikkikitty.

Comments

I'm most impressed that she reads comments and is helped by them! The internet's pretty nasty, so if she can take that, she'll go far.

Commentating is so hard, really glad players with good charisma bring what they can to the community! Also superb to see women represent the community - cant wait to see more for a better, more diverse community!

Really nice to see this. The more women we get involved in the Smash community, especially in public-facing positions like commentary, the more diversity we'll draw in. I hope to see a ~50/50 split in my lifetime.

She's a really good commentator and I hope everyone in community embraces the talented individuals who make Smash community so great.

First time I heard her was a few months back and I thought to my self damn this girl knows her stuff. Smash commentary is awesome in general. Knowlegable people who genuinely love the game.

I'm sorry but...
GRIL?
Can we say sexist? Smash is a community meant for people of all races, ages, gender, and sexualities to come together and embrace a game we all hold dear to our hearts. Disgusting.. truly:(

Can we say sexist? Smash is a community meant for people of all races, ages, gender, and sexualities to come together and embrace a game we all hold dear to our hearts. Disgusting.. truly:(
I'm joking. I am all about anybody playing smash, its just a joke that I see in Twitch chats. If that was wrong I'm sorry

I'm joking. I am all about anybody playing smash, its just a joke that I see in Twitch chats. If that was wrong I'm sorry
You just got to watch what you say in this day in age. I can see where you are coming from but you must consider it from an outside point of view. to some, it appears you were being critical, sexist, and uninviting towards female players. Without gamer girls, where are the straight smashers gonna get a girlfriend XD :)

Last edited:
You just got to watch what you say in this day in age. I can see where you are coming from but you must consider it from an outside point of view. to some, it appears you were being critical, sexist, and uninviting towards female players. Without gamer girls, where are the straight smashers gonna get a girlfriend XD :)
Yeah, you're right, you gotta watch what you say, especially online, since its not like you're talking in person. So sometimes its difficult to know if the person is joking or not. I am totally open to females playing smash, females who play video games are awesome :D

I was always someone who disliked the idea of diversity for the sake of diversity (Good example is changing an existing character's race in a reboot movie.) however, I am not against diversity itself.

It's funny that I came across this. I just made this account about an hour ago and while I was browsing I was thinking "Hey, I wonder if there's any female players." Seriously, I never heard of any until now.

I'm really glad vikkikitty isn't the type to constantly preach SJW stuff. This is, to me, the ideal "girl gamer." She knows that she loves what she does and doesn't let the vocal minority scare her out of the community. Yet, at the same time, doesn't make a big deal out of being a "girl gamer." She sees herself as a gamer, a Smasher, a commentator, and nothing else.

Lol, that might be part of why being a girl ggamer is so intimidating. You're essentially in a crowd of woman-deprived-mostly-20-somethings who could all have the hots for you.

Great Article, and I can't wait to hear more from Vikkikitty! She has a great attitude and outlook, and you can tell she really cares about providing great commentary.

Top Bottom