• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Shoulds" and "Should Nots" of Your First Tournament

<LyKos>

Smash Cadet
Here it is: It’s time for your first tournament. You’ve played the game for years and honed your skills playing against friends and training partners, and now you’re finally ready to take the next step and take part in your first competitive event.

What to do? Should you train your heart out leading up to the event, intent on taking home first place and the satisfaction of beating everyone you face on your road to becoming the greatest Smash player ever?

Expecting something like this?
Well…

There are certain things a first-time tournament attendee should not and should expect when venturing into the crazy world of competitive Smash. While this list is by no means exhaustive, it covers a great deal of the perspective someone attending his or her first tournament should possess.

You Should Not Expect…

To Win.

This may be a tough lesson for some, but going to your first tournament with the intent of winning it—unless you’re the next coming of Ken or Mango—is setting yourself up for disappointment. Transitioning from purely playing friendlies to competing in tournaments is rough on everyone, and no one should expect to win right out of the gate.

To Play Your Best.

While not as far-fetched as winning your first tournament, playing your best at your first tournament is another long shot. That transition from friendly to competitive play inspires nerves of all kinds. Your heart will pound. Your fingers will clench up. Your palms will sweat. Your mind will slow down. Pressure affects us all, and especially those who are experiencing it for the first time.

To Stay on One Setup for the Entire Tournament.

With this many people at a tournament, staying on one setup just isn't reasonable.

Again, tournaments are not like practicing at home. Other people want to use the setups as well. Keeping people from using the setup on which you're currently playing keeps them from experiencing the fullest from that tournament. Sharing is caring!

To Receive Free Housing/Rides.

This is more for tournaments to which you have to travel. Others are not obligated to house you for free, nor are they obligated to give you a ride to a tournament for free--gas money is quite expensive! Seriously, give the people who host you their proper dues.

To Have People Wait on You.

Clogging up the pool/bracket process because you're off doing who-knows-what is one of the quickest ways to get on everyone's nerves. No one wants a tournament to run later than it needs to. Simply put: Don't be that person.

You Should Expect…

To Learn.

Few things are better teachers than losses. When you go to your first tournament, you will lose games. Here’s a little secret: Losing is not bad so long as you know a loss does not equal defeat. Each loss opens an opportunity for you to improve because every loss brings to light what’s wrong with your play. Every loss and every win is a gateway to further improvement.

To Have a Blast.

Why do we play this game? Why did we first become interested in Smash if not because we had fun? Casual or competitive, everyone plays these games for the same reason: We find it boundlessly fun. Having fun is the reasonto play Smash. Go for the sickest follow-ups. Go for the utmost even if it costs you a life.

To Meet Other Smashers.

This is easily the best part of the tournament experience. The people you meet in the Smash community can be summed up in one word: Genuine. If you have questions about how to improve, ask someone! If you want to play friendlies with everyone, ask them all! Some of the people you meet may become lifelong friends!

Team Ben is a prime example of Smash cementing friendships!

To Play Lots of Friendlies.

Tournament matches are great, but the majority of the matches you'll play--provided the venue has setups available--will be friendlies. Generally, you can ask anyone for a friendly match or two. When you sit down and play friendlies with others, ask them ahead of time to point out areas where you can improve! Doing that is a quick, efficient way to find your areas of improvement.

To Be Friendly.

Just as the other smashers are open and encouraging--for the most part--so should you. If someone takes a loss badly, be the first one to take them aside and encourage them. That'll make a world of difference in that person's experience. If you lose, give the other player their dues; he or she played a solid game and outplayed you. Encouragement is a wonderful cycle. Keep it going!

Hopefully you're now adequately equipped to take on your first tournament. Know the game goes beyond the parameters of "Go!" and "Game!" and use that knowledge to make your first tournament experience one of the best in your surely-budding Smash career.

Best of luck!

The Face of Beau is a Professional Writing Major at Taylor University and an Indiana-based Smasher. Find him on Twitter at @FaceofBeaumont

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Aw, cute! Yeah, I was hoping to go to a smash 4 tournament sometime in the future, but I expect it to be a learning experience more than anything. This was a very sweet article!

\\Killer//

Smash Journeyman
It brings me great honor to say that Apex 2014 was my First Console Tourney ever. Didn't win but getting 13th place out of 157 is not bad at all ^^

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Naw son. You should come with the intent to win no matter how bleak or impossible you might think it is.

The only way to win is to think you can win. If you don't do that the first day and you just come to "learn" you're delaying your own success :]

Antexerxes

Training Partner?
NNID
Orochi-Aizen
3DS FC
2509-3490-1795
This is a very good read for me. When Smash 4 comes out on DS then Wii U, I plan to play my heart out with a training partner(s) when i find a committed one, and to go to as many tournaments as possible, even though Texas isn't the largest scene.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Agree with ImaClubYou. While you shouldn't expect to win to the extent of being devastated when you lose, at least try and think that you have the potential to win every match as long as you play smart. Doing so will make you question yourself on how to get better and make you play smart. Your first tournament is often your largest learning experience and you should get the most out of it.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I do believe its possible to do very well at your first tournament. Maybe not win the whole thing but top 5 shouldn't be out of consideration unless you're in a seriously skilled state/area with a huge good player base.

Just check out umbreons drastic improvement guide and take it seriously and you should be set to do very good work at a local tournament after a few months even if you're not even L canceling when you start. The encouraging yet sad truth is alot of people really aren't trying to sink in a lot of time getting really good at this game. You seperate yourself into that small % who are giving a real serious attempt at becoming good and tournaments arn't going to hassle you very much outside of major ones

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I should go to a tournament, I've had a smashboards account for almost 4 years and never gone to a tournament before.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
I like the article, but I don't think you can tell people what they should or shouldn't expect, every event is somewhat different from each other.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Awesome post! The part about not expecting to win is a big point, and you worded it terrifically.

Losing teaches you more than wining, after all :D i cant wait to go to a major tourny for the first time and get as much experience as i can. Asking my opponent what i can do tk improve after losing a set.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
This is an awesome article. Great read. You shouldn't always set your goals high to the point where you may be disappointed by the outcome. You should set realistic goals, yet be confident in your skill with the game. So many people go in with the attitude of "I can beat all of my friends, I'm so good" and then get crushed most of the time. This discourages them. No one should ever be discouraged from losing. Take it as a learning experience. From birth, we've been told countless times by those around us that you cannot be the best from the start. Practice makes perfect. Its funny how half the time those simple yet meaningful words go completely ignored by some people.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
as a guy who desperately wants to go to tournaments but is always busy, this is good as soon as there's one available.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I always play to win; I consider it an act of respect to my opponent.
Me, I live by the phrase, "Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible."
That said, I wish we had more tourneys in Montana...

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Naw son. You should come with the intent to win no matter how bleak or impossible you might think it is.

The only way to win is to think you can win. If you don't do that the first day and you just come to "learn" you're delaying your own success :]
If you always play to win, you will improve at a slower pace than if you play to learn.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
If you always play to win, you will improve at a slower pace than if you play to learn.
Disagree. You can play to win by trying your best and learn from the experience and get better by learning to overcome your limitations. This would be the same as playing to learn.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
although I haven't been to a tournament yet, I still expect to do moderately well, seeing as I do play with a large group of people and I probably am the best out of them. wouldn't be surprised if I did terrible though. likely would be able to see my flaws and adjust accordingly.

either way, I plan on getting more involved once the Wii U version comes out since from the looks of it it has fast action like Melee or Project M but doesn't have any of melee's advanced techniques I always forget about. (can do them, just I forget about them)

well, I guess that's my big opinion on competitive play and stuff.

HypaSonic

Final Smasher
This is perfect timing for my first tourney, I've been so excited to go to it. Reading this article just me more calmer for when i actually go to it. I highly appreciate it! :)

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
You absolutely should always expect to win. I don't care if you're up against Mango in your first ever tournament match; expect to win. Expecting to win gives you confidence, which will dramatically improve your play because you believe that whatever you do will work. If you play to win and expect to win, then your odds of winning improve drastically.

If you go into into a match expecting to lose, you probably will. If you don't think you can win, you can't try to win. You'll fall into a habit of making excuses like "I'm still learning" or whatever other nonsense. It doesn't matter if you learn anything as long as you're winning.

You should also hate to lose. Losing doesn't help you get better because you can learn from your mistakes, it helps you get better because it motivates you to improve so you don't lose again. The drive to improve is even stronger if you hate losing. I can't stand losing at anything, it will ruin my entire day if I lose (or even longer, depending on what it is) because I expect to win in everything I do.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I always play to win; I consider it an act of respect to my opponent.
Me, I live by the phrase, "Kick logic to the curb and do the impossible."
That said, I wish we had more tourneys in Montana...
Kamina is that you?

@ NickRiddle NickRiddle : There's such a thing as playing to win and still learning, you know.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
I recently went to the past APEX in january. It was my first major smash tournament and this video give my thoughts and impressions of the event. Overall it was a blast! Enjoy! : )

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
@ MoosyDoosy MoosyDoosy @ ImaClubYou
If your focus is on winning, your thoughts will be "why did/didn't I win" instead of smaller improvements you could be looking for.
At least, that's how every single good Brawl player in Florida improved. Don't have to take my word for it though.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If your focus is on winning, your thoughts will be "why did/didn't I win" instead of smaller improvements you could be looking for.
At least, that's how every single good Brawl player in Florida improved. Don't have to take my word for it though.
Actually, if I lose I just admit I lose. The after thoughts of losing is up to yourself so that's a subjective argument.

Besides, if I want to learn the nitpicky details I can always go on YouTube and watch myself get the dirt wiped in my eyes to improve myself. Other than that, I can play friendlies or play at home with my buddies where things aren't serious and I can focus on things without being caught up in the moment.

I don't see how just going to learn makes things faster when going to learn AND win is a possibility. Mental barriers.

D

Deleted member

You absolutely should always expect to win. I don't care if you're up against Mango in your first ever tournament match; expect to win. Expecting to win gives you confidence, which will dramatically improve your play because you believe that whatever you do will work. If you play to win and expect to win, then your odds of winning improve drastically.

If you go into into a match expecting to lose, you probably will. If you don't think you can win, you can't try to win. You'll fall into a habit of making excuses like "I'm still learning" or whatever other nonsense. It doesn't matter if you learn anything as long as you're winning.

You should also hate to lose. Losing doesn't help you get better because you can learn from your mistakes, it helps you get better because it motivates you to improve so you don't lose again. The drive to improve is even stronger if you hate losing. I can't stand losing at anything, it will ruin my entire day if I lose (or even longer, depending on what it is) because I expect to win in everything I do.
Yeah, no. Where there are winners, there will always be losers. The only thing you should be expecting is having a good time. If you're not doing that, then you're doing it wrong. Winning or losing doesn't even matter.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Yeah, no. Where there are winners, there will always be losers. The only thing you should be expecting is having a good time. If you're not doing that, then you're doing it wrong. Winning or losing doesn't even matter.
So you can't play to win and still have fun? I wasn't aware that the two were mutually-exclusive; apparently I haven't been fun this whole time. If you're not playing to win, then why play competitively? And if you're not having fun, then why play at all?

No kidding that there will always be losers, but the thing that separates the people who win consistently from those who do not is their desire to win. If you're competing, then chances are, you care about winning. The first step to winning is having a winning attitude.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I've seen people on tournament streams that show off some of the "should nots," (i.e. raging, being a sore loser, etc.) and it's kinda embarrassing/funny to watch. I hope I don't run into anyone of that sort in my first tournament.

<LyKos>

Smash Cadet
So you can't play to win and still have fun? I wasn't aware that the two were mutually-exclusive; apparently I haven't been fun this whole time. If you're not playing to win, then why play competitively? And if you're not having fun, then why play at all?

No kidding that there will always be losers, but the thing that separates the people who win consistently from those who do not is their desire to win. If you're competing, then chances are, you care about winning. The first step to winning is having a winning attitude.
I've always thought, once you reach the higher echelons of competitive Smash (or really any competitive field), winning becomes less and less about who "wants" to win more. Execution and covering/removing mistakes is what makes the difference between the good and the truly great.

You're right in saying a winning attitude leads to more confidence, but what does a winning attitude look like? *Writes down article idea*

I submit to you that choosing to have fun regardless of winning or losing--while still giving your best and trying as hard as you're able--is the beginning of that "winning attitude."

Just my take.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
If you expect to lose, you will more often than not lose since you won’t expect to win. Your playing will go down and you’ll start to expect failure. If you expect to win, you’ll often play at your best and try your utmost to win. If I lose, I often do ask myself “Why did I lose?” If there was a misplay during the match or something I was doing wrong like shielding too much and too obviously, I’ll try and fix it. This is what I’d call “playing to learn.” I’m still playing to win, but I’m learning from any mistakes throughout the match. Of course I might sometimes ignore attention to detail, but when that happens, I’ll often lose enough for me to give my whole playstyle another revamp.

Last edited:

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I've always thought, once you reach the higher echelons of competitive Smash (or really any competitive field), winning becomes less and less about who "wants" to win more. Execution and covering/removing mistakes is what makes the difference between the good and the truly great.

You're right in saying a winning attitude leads to more confidence, but what does a winning attitude look like? *Writes down article idea*

I submit to you that choosing to have fun regardless of winning or losing--while still giving your best and trying as hard as you're able--is the beginning of that "winning attitude."

Just my take.
On the contrary, I'd say that a winning attitude is the only way to get to that level, and that the winner is going to be the one who wants it more because the one who wants it more is going to put more effort into improving and is going to do whatever it takes to win.

In a winning mindset, you've won the match before it even started, so the match becomes less "how can I win this match?" and more "how do I win this match?" It may not seem like much of a difference, but it makes a difference when it comes to approaching competition.

EZVega

Smash Cadet
NNID
EZVega
3DS FC
4339-2521-0738
Had my first tournament a few weekends ago in Charlotte, NC. It was everything I expected and more. Some of my best moments in smash definitely came out in this tournament. I went into this tournament knowing I needed to improve and it just kept happening with every friendly and every match I had. The competition was definitely an adrenaline rush and my competitive edge came out when I just kept telling myself "improve, how can I take this last combo and make it badass? How's my edge game?"

I look forward to more tournaments in the future, and I'll definitely try to go for SKTAR, CEO and Apex (maybe not in that order, it does get expensive after all). I encourage all first timers to play lots of friendlies before tournament matches. The more you pick up, the more you beat up!

Top Bottom