• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The [Shocking] Official R.O.B. Video Critique Thread

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PthfHy7NsH0 - Sonic Storm (ROB) vs. ElNoNombreHombre (Pikachu)

I'm very sorry I missed this thread the first time - I half expected a critique thread to be stickied up on the top of the page, like the Sonic and Ike boards have it. So yeah, I'd like some tips on what to do and not to do.

xMPDx

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, im gonna put some videos of my ROB in here the first one is going to be against Ness and the other one against DD Kong. Any advice will be appreciate, since im going to pound i want to be more than ready with him just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihHNLKoba3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5lFRkxJqIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXt3KIfnUVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0Qaggo8hRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJ2jPi9rvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIC5VNNORc

this are all the videos i have from my ROB, the other one i have are from my Snake which is my main, but i also Have ROB as my Second so i would like to be ready with him for Pound 4

Hope you guys enjoy! :)
Ive posted this on the wrong area so now im posting it here, like i said any help is appreciate

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Good to see you again aerow. Nice to know you haven't lost your style. Long glide tosses and RAR'ed up Bs are still looking good, just note that you could have been backaired a few times if Snake had matched your aggressiveness instead of airdodged every time

Bees!

Smash Ace
What do you guys think of this ROB vs MK?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLxsVzHm24&feature=player_profilepage

Game 5 in Grand Finals in Vancouver, BC.
Thats pretty good.
The MK played kind of differently though (Like he didn't know the MU or something.) There were lno shuttle loops which makes me sad because everytime I play MKs the grounded shuttle loop is what gets me :(. Also there werent very many ftilts from the MK or the ROB(last part of the match I noticed more which is good). Also the MK didn't take advantage of the trip on the ditilts. Also the MK didn't play the edge once he knocked off ROB. He should have been more aggressive not to let the ROB back on. This is just what I've seen and what makes me lose against MK though. So maybe someone else handles it better. The ROB did really well. I am going to have to remember to pivot boost more. As it saved him at the end. And the reverse Nair was really good.

breez

Smash Ace
Haha, I just learned you can SL OOS and it ***** - forgive me, i'm an MK noob. I played him today and used it much more and also abused his recovery really badly. I think I have finally figured out the ROB matchup - i've learned a lot about MK while learning it.

Trillest

Smash Ace

TheMike

Smash Lord
I saw the second match.

First of all, do not Dash Attack when you're in low percents because Falco will get the Chain Grab easier. Also, use more Dtilts. It set ups to DA(when the opponent trips), that set ups to Fair, that takes Falco off stage. Try to take him off stage with F/Bthrow, too.

Do not charge Gyro when he's on the stage. Only do so when he's off, because when you're close to him, you'll get punished and when you're far from him, he'll use Neutral B. And punish him with Shield Grab or Ftilt(I didn't see any!!!)

I saw on the end that you had some trouble when recoverying to the stage. I would edge jump and air dodge or fast fall Fair. Let me just use Ganon as an example of edge jump if you have any doubt:

Orange is the edge jump.

Also, was YS you counter pick or did Vlade ban Frigate Orpheon?

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I assume you guys are playing offline from the talking...alright, here I go.

-Always powershield bombs from link or toon link, or else they bounce off your shield like they did at the start. this limits your movement and keeps you trapped in shield which lets your enemy approach safely.
-you faired his shield, then approaching baired. never approaching bair if you hit someones shield. even if you land a short hop fair, approaching bair is usually a bad idea. its up to you to decide whether the risk is worth it or not, but NEVER do it on shields. if you fair someones shield, either jump away really fast or fast fall airdodge + buffer something (jab if you think he'll try to shieldgrab, or shield if you think he won't)
- never laser at close range, i saw you do it at 0:11. it can be a nice trick if you approach with a sh laser and try to land the sweetspot right next to robs face...but thats just a trick, dont really ever do it more then once a match haha
- at 0:37, if a link (or lots of characters really) is coming back to the ledge from a kinda sideways angle like that, then hit left/right on the control stick (depends on what side of the ledge your on, whatever direction will get you off the ledge but not make you stand up on stage) and immediately back air. it'll hit them far away and normally at an angle they can't recover from. this even works on meta knight's recovery, only thing about that one is if you do it too early, they'll up b stage spike you.
- actually, nvm on that powershield thing at the start. i like how you'd jump and catch the bomb when it hit your shield. though that can be punished if they see it coming, whereas powershielding can't @.@ still, i like it...never thought about that
- ahh around 2:16 i saw you go for that ledgedrop bair thing...so you knew about it? don't hit down though, or you'll fastfall like you did and miss completely. but he was too far away for that to land anyway, you should've just stayed on the ledge there and you'd of been safe and he'd of died.
- robs back roll is pretty bad...i saw you get punished for using it a few times. try not to use it to roll behind the opponent too often.

Rekros

Smash Cadet
Ok thanks stingers I really appreciate it and yeah I made a lot of mistakes, I realized it when I saw the video but it's ok thanks again. 6Mizu I'm sorry you think that way, I'll try to be active in the forums, I've been playing smash a lot soo yeah whatever...

Bees!

Smash Ace
Are you from Hawaii? I am pretty sure I saw an awesome Hawaii combo video with you in it.
Well here is my assessment. I play Colorado's Wario quite a bit and learned a little about the MU. Personally I don't see it being even(Neither does he.) It seems like a tough MU.
You have a really good ROB!
One big thing is you didn't attempt the grab release. Granted it isn't guaranteed unless your opponent struggles. However if you mindgame your opponent pummel and when you hear him start mashing stop immediately. That usually does an air release for me. After he is released in the air you can tilt upwards an Fsmash or Hyphen Smash. Also Wario destroys ROB in the air its best not to get into an ultra aerial conflict. Also you had a couple opportunities to fAir gimp him off-stage especially in game 2 on the 2nd stock he went offstage and recovered low with the bike. You could have fAired him into oblivion. That was the biggest issue I saw was you would RAR the ledge to often and never attempt fAir gimps. Also in this MU Utilt is very useful. It breaks through dAir approaches, is fast and has a lot of priority. Also If you laser Wario while he is recovering it even with the stale laser it knocks him off his bike. In addition(Im not entirely sure but I am pretty sure that Uair breaks through Wario's broken Airdodge. Another thing I noticed is that you tended to get up by either just getting up off of the ledge or get up attack. There were a couple times if you waited or planked a little you would have baited his bite then be free to punish with a nAir.

Those were GG's though. If I remember correctly PhantomX is an amazing Wario too.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
ROB is my second, but I still want to find ways of improving it. Anyways, here are my videos: (I know they may seem outdated, but I haven't got the time to record a fresh match)

ROB vs Meta Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCuqY6ot68Y

Rob vs Lucas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEbnQ_Z3ec
I mainly watched the match vs. Lucas, here's some things I noticed

-You roll. A LOT. ROB's roll is really not all that great, it's slow and punishable, and should only be used to retreat, not to close the gap.

-Going along with the rolling, you seemed to want to roll behind him to grab a lot. ROB is not a grabby character, you really should only grab if you shield grab someone. It's just not worth the risk to be close to them like that, just to get a grab that you don't really need. =/

-You seem to throw out a lot of d-smashes, sometimes out of no where. d-smash should really only be used out of spot dodge, but not every time. If you use it too much, it becomes predictable, and you will get punished for it.

-Do you use the C-stick at all? The spacing on your fairs could be better, you should try to hit them with the tip of ROB's hands, so you won't get punished as easily if they shield. Going along with that, the few Nairs you threw out could have been spaced better too, try to hit them with the tip of the flame, you seemed to dive bomb into them with it.

-When you got him on the tree on the fire transformation, you can d-tilt lock him, it's a nice option when you have someone's back against the wall. This works espcially well on Lucas. You got two grab releases on him against the wall, Lucas has so much GR lag, that you could have easily set up a d-tilt lock.

-I don't feel like you used enough gyros and lasers. Those are ROB's bread and butter. They should be used to keep enemies away, espcially the laser at long distances. Going along with that, if they don't approach you, don't be afraid to shoot your projectiles at them. There are very few times where ROB actually has to approach, unless he is facing Falco/TL/another spammy character that can outcamp ROB.

-One of the positives I noticed was that you make a good use of U-air, and the projectiles you did use were used effectively. =D

-Also, I'm sure this one is fairly obvious, but avoid Side B, especially offstage. ^_^

Bees!

Smash Ace
Your R.O.B. isn't bad. Overall I would say that it was good. Just try to not use your UpB so much to attack. There were many times you could have gotten your opponent with what you were doing without the fuel consumption. Otherwise than that your ROB just looks a little inexperienced.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium

Bees!

Smash Ace
Certain MUs I tend to camp harder than others. Like vs Marth, Snake, MK, ICs, and anything that I can outcamp or force to approach.

However I can't camp the spacies, Olimar(who can really?), Lucario(I don't know why) Pika, Wario and others.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Just try to not use your UpB so much to attack. There were many times you could have gotten your opponent with what you were doing without the fuel consumption.

hmm can you elaborate this?

TheMike

Smash Lord
You should use more Ftilt, especially OoS. Sometimes you used Shield Grab when Ftilt would be more useful(when ook used DK's Up B, for example). Ftilt after a N/Bair for spacing is pretty good, too. Also, shoot Lasers/Gyros on situations like 1:17.

Just one thing: use Nair when Snake is high enough to the kill zone, and not Dair like you did at 2:32. It was a good match, can I add it to the ROB video thread?

Veeeeery good match. Well played, just charge your Gyro when you have a banana with you because your opponent will not see it and this can be used for some interesting mindgames. Can I also add this match to the video thread?

0:31 Fair!!!!! I recomend you going more off stage when Pit is trying to recover. Sharking your opponent coming from the bottom of Halberd using Uair is a good idea, too. Also, try to use more Dsmashes and Ftilts.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
TheMike, I use a lot Ftilt already. And about dsmash, I don't like it, most of the time I get punished for it, so I use it carefully.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The Darkitsune, I didn't watch the whole video, but you made the biggest mistake a Rob player ever could do. You approached.

Max113

Smash Apprentice
I've heard that these boards were dead so I was wondering... if I posted vids, would they get done?

Top Bottom