• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The San Antonio Melee thread: We have a scene again!

Zhea

Smash Ace
Ooples actually has a giant back room for events. Also I don't think they care as long as they get something. Also ****ing human psychology.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
From what I can remember about it when Cliff told me, he's kinda irritated at the Melee community because of how piss poor a condition Gamelot was always in after the tournaments. Trash everywhere n' whatnot.

It's kinda silly, but it has some honest truth to it. I remember having to help Cliff and Kyle clean up at the venue after events on plenty of occasions because players just came and went without regard for the cleanliness of the place. They also didn't seem to respect Cliff when he asked them to move a setup or whatnot.

To be fair, Cliff's kinda too tight knit, but whatever happened, the Melee community pissed him off enough that from what I heard last, he wants nothing to do with the Smash community in SA because of all the issues at the events.

That's why I laughed at my own suggestion. It was wishful thinking; Cliff would never let us back.
So yeah.
:applejack:

Gao~

Smash Cadet
From what I can remember about it when Cliff told me, he's kinda irritated at the Melee community because of how piss poor a condition Gamelot was always in after the tournaments. Trash everywhere n' whatnot.

It's kinda silly, but it has some honest truth to it. I remember having to help Cliff and Kyle clean up at the venue after events on plenty of occasions because players just came and went without regard for the cleanliness of the place. They also didn't seem to respect Cliff when he asked them to move a setup or whatnot.

To be fair, Cliff's kinda too tight knit, but whatever happened, the Melee community pissed him off enough that from what I heard last, he wants nothing to do with the Smash community in SA because of all the issues at the events.

That's why I laughed at my own suggestion. It was wishful thinking; Cliff would never let us back.
So yeah.
:applejack:
ouch that really sucks. it looked pretty nice too. ooples is sooo faaar~

Tesh

Smash Hero
I've cleaned up after almost every tournament I've been to. Smashers honestly don't give two ****s. Trash left behind from consumable items will just be left everywhere, even if trash cans are easily accessible...

Xilo Pryce

Smash Lord
People are going to be jerks no matter what, but when it comes to an event that one or two people organized it needs to be their responsibility. I've run about 6 tournaments and there's always cleanup. If nothing is broken, but somebody cleans up the mess then I don't see a problem. This is assuming the most other TOs out there feel like me.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Another reason I'm perfectly okay with TOs making a profit from tournaments. All the risk is on your end and if things go poorly, its on your head.

Suspect

Smash Hero
T.O deserve profit considering they pay rent/energy bill for that venue and are doing the players a favor.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Regardless I don't plan on making anything off these tournaments for my time. Ooples has show interest in the past, but I got too busy to do this. It sounds like more people want a venue fee rather than the pot (makes no difference) so we will go with that. Either way the melee scene is growing here and I think people want a local way to test their metal. Alex Frisbee will be going to school here this fall. He is one of Houston's TO's and has talked about interest in getting Tournaments going. If he wants to make profit, that is his prerogative and he would indeed deserve it.

Mew2Matteo

Smash Cadet
I'm at Ooples now for there weekend event and there's not even one setup for Mêlée or PM. Very weak... and a waste of my time and gas. Anyone that wants to play, pm me.

Zhea

Smash Ace
I'm at Ooples now for there weekend event and there's not even one setup for Mêlée or PM. Very weak... and a waste of my time and gas. Anyone that wants to play, pm me.
Melee does not happen at ooples around theae parts. It happens at my apartment around 7 Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. If you are not part of the SA melee fb group pm McClucksy. I post any event I host there.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We did have Melee there around 4-5PM, but they stopped because only two people were using the setup, and one of them left. :applejack:

Zhea

Smash Ace
So we are looking at a date for August's Monthly. the 24th and 31st. Looking at starting around noon. What do people think? Also the venues I am looking at is a party room and Ooples Apparel. Ooples is cheaper and has TV's there we can use, but the Party room has better AC and would be rented out for just us. Thoughts?

Zhea

Smash Ace
It clearly lists ooples. Also probably never doing the party room, they charge 100 for the venue and the only way to make that venue price even reasonable to me would be a 20 person tournament (Venue fee of 5) and that would get cramped fast.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
It's been awhile since I've been on here... Since I just moved here, does that mean I'll be added in the 1st post?

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Hey all, Tsuteto here from the Utah SLC area. Our regional FGC Salt Fest is coming up! Here's some key information for y'all about Salt Fest currently:

*It'll be running on May 17th and 18th (That's a Saturday / Sunday)
*Pre-registration will start December 1st at $20. Essentially each month from there it will only go up, so get your tickets then (site will be updated that day to purchase tickets).
*It will probably be at the same exact location as last time.

It's still in early planning, so we are working out other aspects, such as whether smash will be over just one day or two, pot bonuses, smash entry fee, etc. More than happy to get information released as soon as that's set, but I'm going to just avoid speculation for now.

I'll be over seeing the Smash Bros competition for it this year, and wanted to get some opinions and what you'd like to see done for it competition wise. Essentially, I'd love to hear who's interested in:

*Melee Singles
*Melee Doubles
*Brawl Singles
*Brawl Doubles
*Project: M Singles
*Project: M Doubles

Let me know! I'll be checking back and stuff :)

EDIT: Well, from the Brawl side of San Antonio, doesn't seem like much interest in making such a drive, which I totally understand. Thanks for your time nonetheless, and if anyone wants to come out still, we'd love to have you ^^

Top Bottom