• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's pretty nice. By any chance, can you show him next to someone else so we can get a judgement of scale? Just wondering. I really do like it.
I'll compare Ridley to the following...

[collapse=Size Comparisons]Ridley & Mario

Ridley & Bowser

Ridley & Samus

Ridley & Ganondorf

Ridley & Charizard

Ridley & Groudon

Ridley & Zekrom

Ridley & Galleom

[/collapse]

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I think that size fits him fine but I do think they should make him bigger than bowser though

D

Deleted member

Ridley seems a bit small there, IMO. He's got to be at least eye-level with Samus.

Other than that, EPIC.

EDIT: I see you fixed it. Very good.
Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but Zekrom is smaller than Groudon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ridley seems a bit small there, IMO. He's got to be at least eye-level with Samus.

Other than that, EPIC.

EDIT: I see you fixed it. Very good.
Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but Zekrom is smaller than Groudon.
Yeah I took hold of Zekrom's model, and its idle pose had it at 1.5x its normal size. As for Ridley, I resized his Brawl model to 0.4x his normal size, which seems appropriate for being a playable character. I'll see if I can make a better Zekrom and Ridley comparison; I make sure that the floor levels are matching completely.

Edit: Fixed up the Zekrom and Ridley comparison so that Zekrom is shorter than Groudon.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Great job. Just the right size for our favorite space dragodactyl to show the villains who's boss. I remembered seeing a video with that model hack before.

:phone:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yo dawg I heard through the grape vine that ridley was alike a shoe in for sm4sh.

No but seriously Ridley for Bra- I mean Sm4sh. Nice to see some familiar faces in this thread

D

Deleted member

Ridley for Bra?
Is that what it really means when people say Ridley is too big?

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Wow, that Ridley comparison is neat. I think his head could be shrunken a little so that it's more in line with his body; more Prime or Other M, less Super Metroid (Where it was huge).

I never realized how humassive Galleom is. :bee:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I never realized how humassive Galleom is. :bee:
And they said Ridley is too big. Basically, the Ridley and Galleom size comparison is supposed to compare playable Ridley to one of the tallest bosses in the Subspace Emissary. Needless to say, Galleom is way bigger.

D

Deleted member

As a joke you should compare playable Ridley to Boss Ridley. :awesome:

Oh, and Boss Ridley to Meta Ridley, so I can finally have absolute proof that Meta Ridley is actually smaller outside of wingspan.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Oh, and Boss Ridley to Meta Ridley, so I can finally have absolute proof that Meta Ridley is actually smaller outside of wingspan.
I agree that M&S should do that if only because size comparisons are the love of my life.

Pretty sure Meta-Ridley was, in the Metroid series, his largest incarnations though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I can tell you right now that even when normal sized, Ridley will still be shorter than Galleom. In terms of boss Ridley and boss Meta Ridley, they're roughly the same size.

On a side note, Final Smash Giga Bowser is actually taller than boss Ridley AND boss Meta Ridley.

Anyway, seeing as you're curious, I'll compare Ridley's 1x scale to his 0.4x scale.

[collapse=Size Comparison]Playable Ridley (right) & Boss Ridley (left)
[/collapse]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I had already noticed his head was about the same length (if not more) as his body in Brawl, BUT MAN seeing it like that really makes it noticeable.

Wish I could play with Ridley's model like that. >:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I already noticed his head was about the same length (if not more) as his body, BUT MAN seeing it like that really makes it noticeable.

Wish I could play with Ridley's model like that. >:
It's quite easy with BrawlBox.

Anyway, Ridley's pose has him hunched over a bit, so it only looks like he is shorter than Bowser. For a few T-stance size comparisons...

[collapse=Size Comparisons]Ridley & Bowser (T-stance version)

Ridley & Ganondorf (T-stance version)

[/collapse]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Whoooa. Thank you so much. Always wanted to see T-Pose Ridley. I love how his neck is a perfect freaking right angle, lol.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I went through some more size comparisons, and it seems that Dialga's Brawl model is taller than Groudon's Brawl model.

Now, if I were to compare playable Ridley to Zekrom, with Zekrom being a stage hazard (like Dialga), Zekrom would have to be about as tall as Dialga.

[collapse=Size Comparison]Playable Ridley, Stage Hazard Dialga, & Stage Hazard Zekrom

[/collapse]

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
He doesn't swallow things, he burns them. The only nourishment he needs comes from watching the agony in his opponent's eyes as they slowly char.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Him regenerating after a ship self-destruct by eating flesh kinda says otherwise. :p As for the neck, I didn't mind the thicker one he had in Other M (kinda made more sense in a way), as unsettling as the head/mouth design was in that game..

Also, hi. Good to see you active again. :)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Him regenerating after a ship self-destruct by eating flesh kinda says otherwise. :p As for the neck, I didn't mind the thicker one he had in Other M (kinda made more sense in a way), as unsettling as the head/mouth design was in that game..

Also, hi. Good to see you active again. :)

Who, me?

I've always hated the Other M design from the first moment I saw it. I always thought it was just me, good to know that there are other people who share the same view.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Was referring to Phaazoid/samusrules.

You were never alone in hating the Other M design. I heard lots of complaining about it the day the first trailer was released. I liked it though except for the head/mouth. Just that.

Oh hey, you made the 187th post in this thread, as in Geoform 187, as in Ridley...!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Was referring to Phaazoid/samusrules.

You were never alone in hating the Other M design. I heard lots of complaining about it the day the first trailer was released. I liked it though except for the head/mouth. Just that.

Oh hey, you made the 187th post in this thread, as in Geoform 187, as in Ridley...!
Holy ****, I had no idea that that was even a thing(the Geoform thing). I haven't finished Other M, and the only other games I've played are the original and Super Metroid and a few minutes of Prime 1, so I'm a bit out of the loop on Metroid mythology gags.

I could never place what I hated about the other M design. I think it was that I preferredthat the Brawl(Prime?) design was scrawnier. The OM design was just too fleshy for me.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
yeah, idk, I like the brawl ridley character model. The other M one, doesn't sit with me too well (or at least some parts of it)

Also, MarioANDSonicguy, don't I know you from the pre brawl days too? I don't think you were a mod then. congratz on that, and nice brawlbox work!

Also, allow me to submit another final smash option

BIRD OF PREY
Ridley flies straight up, off of the screen, and you see him fly away in the background. Then, with a dragoon like reticule, but a bit wider, you aim at the field. when you hit A, Ridley immediately flies on like the dragoon, snatching whoever he hits in his claws, and flying straight up again. Once he's off screen, whoever he grabs is seen falling to the star death.

D

Deleted member

I can tell you right now that even when normal sized, Ridley will still be shorter than Galleom. In terms of boss Ridley and boss Meta Ridley, they're roughly the same size.

On a side note, Final Smash Giga Bowser is actually taller than boss Ridley AND boss Meta Ridley.

Anyway, seeing as you're curious, I'll compare Ridley's 1x scale to his 0.4x scale.

[collapse=Size Comparison]Playable Ridley (right) & Boss Ridley (left)
[/collapse]
I'd rather see the size comparison between the two boss Ridleys rather than take your word for it, no offense. I have taken a few pictures on Brawl comparing Samus with them, and there is a noticeable difference in certain parts of the body.

And really? Giga Bowser is BIGGER than both boss Ridleys? If we were to get visual proof of that, it would seal the deal on Ridley not being "too big" to work, since Giga Bowser works (somewhat)! :bee:

Also, yeesh, that's kind of a noticeable difference....

jigglover

Smash Lord
There is no excuse to not include Ridley this time around.
There are a few necessities that ridley can't fulfill:
1) As far as i know, Ridley can't walk, and if he's launched, he can't crash to the ground since he can't get back up again in minimal time you can't go from lying on your back to warping in the air, it would just be weird.
2) Predictable moveset. Scratch, tail jab, head butt/scratch and wing scratch is basically it; it would be easy to beat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
1) As far as i know, Ridley can walk, and if he's launched, he can't crash to the ground since he can't get back up again in minimal time you can't go from lying on your back to warping in the air, it would just be weird.
2) Predictable moveset. Scratch, tail jab, head butt/scratch and wing scratch is basically it; it would be easy to beat.
I'm not even sure what that first point is saying.

For the second, did you see the move set in the OP?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If that moveset isn't your cup of tea, go look up some Ridley boss fights on Youtube. He has plenty to offer.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Holy ****, I had no idea that that was even a thing(the Geoform thing). I haven't finished Other M, and the only other games I've played are the original and Super Metroid and a few minutes of Prime 1, so I'm a bit out of the loop on Metroid mythology gags.

I could never place what I hated about the other M design. I think it was that I preferredthat the Brawl(Prime?) design was scrawnier. The OM design was just too fleshy for me.
That was what Ridley was referred to in one of the Pirate Logs of Prime 1. Never quite got the meaning behind it, but eh, it's there.

Maybe Ridley's race in their final stage naturally become scrawnier with much skinnier necks and stuff as they get older. The clone in Other M didn't get to live for that long, so who knows. As for too fleshy, kind of agree. He spilled ludicrous amounts of dat green blood.

1) As far as i know, Ridley can't walk, and if he's launched, he can't crash to the ground since he can't get back up again in minimal time you can't go from lying on your back to warping in the air, it would just be weird.
1. He's shown capable of walking in Prime 3 and Other M, both games in which you can make him fall to the ground if you shoot him enough when he's airborne.
2. That's like not (or barely) even scratching the surface of what he could do, even if you ignore the extra abilities of his other forms from the Prime trilogy or Other M, which definitely weren't predictable at first.

Yes I did, that the moveset i'm talking about. It got a bit boring after a bit, but from what I read it looked pretty rubbish, so did final smash.
How was the final smash even rubbish? It's a helluva lot more original than the majority of the ones we saw in Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Goodness I'm glad you're back. You can do all the arguing for me. I am your captain now forget about Gypsy.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How was the final smash even rubbish? It's a helluva lot more original than the majority of the ones we saw in Brawl.
You get a Landmaster, you get a Landmaster, EVERYBODY GETS A LANDMASTER!

JK obviously. Anyway, that Ridley moveset and FS is pretty darn cool.

D

Deleted member

I don't particularly care if he gets in or not (neutral on him), but he clearly deserves to get in. Hoping for the best for the fan base.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Hell, I even put up an alternative final smash last page. I mean, sheesh, if you don't have anything productive to add... Well, ridley prime already said everything for me. I love that guy.

Top Bottom