• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Though what about Zero Suit? There is a size difference between the two forms in Brawl.
There's about a 5% height difference between the two forms.

TO GIVE SOME NUMBERS TO MY SUGGESTION OF RESIZING SAMUS, If you scale down both of her forms' heights by 5% (leaving Zamus the same height as Peach), and make Ridley 10% taller than Bowser (who is normally about 10% taller than Samus), you'd make a difference of about 25%. IT'S ALL A LITTLE ROUGH THOUGH.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been watching a play through of Metroid Prime trilogy.

So far, prime 1 seems nice and prime 2 seems horrible. They keep saying Prime 3 is really good, but I'm not there yet

I heard Ridley wasn't in Prime 2

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Never use Roy as a an excuse. Roy was not initially planned for Melee's roster, and only came to be because Sakurai wanted to boost the roster later in production with easy to add clones (or "model swaps" as he called them). When in the process of finding working clones, he was given a sneak peek into Roy, and that's who he decided on as a clone for Marth because he had a gut feeling that people would like him and to advertise the upcoming game (and the series as a whole).
Seeing as none of the Hunters were anything special and were just minor characters that happened to be playable, even if Sakurai knew of their existence ahead of time, it's hard to believe he'd actually go with one as a character.

Alright, I will say that it literally "could" have been that way, but it is very unlikely to have happened because it's absolutely ridiculous and filled with glaring holes in logic.
Just like Sakurai could have decided Ridley was too "homosexual" and purple and went to Zamus instead because boobs. You cannot deny that as a possibility without being a hypocrite.

First you accuse me of being "emo", now you accuse me of "screaming" when I have given full analysis of logic based on events that actually happened and factual information rather than "what ifs" and excuses like you have done nothing but.
I am going to give you one chance to show me why I should bother actually taking you seriously anymore instead of seeing you as nothing but a troll.
Roy as an excuse? You said there were only Samus in Suits as selectable characters in the series during the Smash Brothers character finalization process. But the Metroid Hunters could have been conceptualized as playable characters before the process. That is all. No matter how much you scream, Metroid Hunters were probably planned as playable characters in the series by then and possible to be in the Smash game even as clones. Simple as that.

And yes, Zamus could have gotten in over Ridley due to having boobs. People are saying that Sakurai could not possibly have viewed Ridley's size as a problem. But the truth is, he could have. That is all. Hope you don't have a stomach ulcer and spew blood on your computer.

* You might as use your deductions and post your roster prediction in the roster prediction thread if you haven't already.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Get your Roster Prediction in the Roster Prediction thread. You don't have much time. Curious to see if you'll get close. If enough people on here post their prediction, hopefully someone will nail it.

For the record, I think Ridley has a shot getting in this title. I just think that his size discrepancy with Samus could have been a factor in Sakurai's decision to include Ridley as a boss.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I've been watching a play through of Metroid Prime trilogy.

So far, prime 1 seems nice and prime 2 seems horrible. They keep saying Prime 3 is really good, but I'm not there yet

I heard Ridley wasn't in Prime 2
Thats what i ''Thought' Azwell.

Prime 2 is harder and has better bosses..

The only things/boss that was sorta giving me a run for my money in Prime 1 was Meta Ridley & Omega Pirate.

Just recently went through both prime 1 & 2 on Wii.

i defentely under estimated Prime 2 after i finished it i was having a good hard think about if it was beter than Prime 1.

Prime 3 was cool but wayy to easy..imo Hypermode kinda killed Prime3 you get it early on and the Phazon beam destroys everything and all other beams...pointless...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its hard to believe we are less than two months away from a likely Ridley unveil. As someone who has put in such a long fight for Ridley's inclusion for over a decade, its truly surreal. The long war finally coming to an end.

Ever since Brawl's release, I felt Ridley would be among the premier and highest profile potential newcomers for Smash 4. All these years later, and we are still discussion Ridley as a potential newcomer for Smash Bros., yet those days could very well come to and end in less than two months time.

Rejoice, our battle may be almost over. It may just be. The one character I have wanted since the very beginning finally confirmed.

At this point I am more worried about how he may turn out than whether or not he will be in. I am concerned they will choose the ugly Other M version Ridley (especially with that duck face) due to Sakurai's tendency to use the latest design for characters. However, even then, they could just use an alternate costume for him (such as Meta Ridley).

Its going to feel longer than two months, but its really just two months.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wonder why this thread doesn't have a Supporter list yet. It may be a bit tedious to go through all the 66 pages, but it can be done. Let the supporters be named as the "Space Pirates"

Besides, I'm curious as to who among K. Rool and Ridley is more popular within this site.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still not sure if it's larger than K. Rool's supporters though

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno, Ridley hasn't had a game in 3 years and everyone hated Other M so the series is probably dead or they'll probably reboot it with space tikies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's a hypothetical question.

Let's say Ridley makes it in (Yay!), however, he is bottom tier. No positive matchups.

Knowing this, would you still play as him?

@Oasis_S
That better be a joke.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was just making a joke on the support list saying "Everyone with a brain pretty much."

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Let's say Ridley makes it in (Yay!), however, he is bottom tier. No positive matchups.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY AS RIDLEY I DON'T CARE WHAT A BUNCH OF TOURNEYTURDS THINK.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I JUST WANT TO PLAY AS RIDLEY I DON'T CARE WHAT A BUNCH OF TOURNEYTURDS THINK.
That is my sentiment too.

I will rage out on Sakurai though if that "evolution" gimmick ends what he does with Ridley though. Knowing my luck, this has a serious chance of happening.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I will feel so sorry for you Chrono if we get an evolving Other M Ridley after you've waited so long.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally I wouldn't be bothered by an evolving Ridley, however I can certainly see where you're coming from.

Sakurai. Do not do this.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will feel so sorry for you Chrono if we get an evolving Other M Ridley after you've waited so long.
I think we are very likely getting Ridley in two months. That much I am confident on.

However, how Sakurai implements Ridley is another story. I personally can't see how the evolution gimmick would work and due to how much people hated Other M overall it would be awful in general. If the evolution worked that Ridley would "evolve" depending on how many KO's he got in a match, that would mean while going through classic mode, for most matches you would unable to be able to play as proper Ridley. For a gimmick that involves Ridley evolving based on time, that would mean for many timed matches, Ridley would not even show up.

It would have far more potential to be awkwardly implemented that the fatigue feature for Pokemon Trainer.

Still just two more months. I feel good we will get Ridley in two months.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
At the very least, Sakurai chose to go with his Super Metroid design in Brawl despite using Zero Mission Samus, so that may be evidence of a preference. When you think about it, Smash has used Super Metroid Ridley in all three games. :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think we are very likely getting Ridley in two months. That much I am confident on.

However, how Sakurai implements Ridley is another story. I personally can't see how the evolution gimmick would work and due to how much people hated Other M overall it would be awful in general. If the evolution worked that Ridley would "evolve" depending on how many KO's he got in a match, that would mean while going through classic mode, for most matches you would unable to be able to play as proper Ridley. For a gimmick that involves Ridley evolving based on time, that would mean for many timed matches, Ridley would not even show up.

It would have far more potential to be awkwardly implemented that the fatigue feature for Pokemon Trainer.

Still just two more months. I feel good we will get Ridley in two months.
I hope Ridley is revealed in two months as well, but why are you so confident it will happen?

Would Sakurai really choose to show a character that's only popular in the west for a debut trailer?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
At the very least, Sakurai chose to go with his Super Metroid design in Brawl despite using Zero Mission Samus, so that may be evidence of a preference. When you think about it, Smash has used Super Metroid Ridley in all three games. :awesome:
Yeah, you are right about that, haha.

That actually does give me some hope we will get "classic" Ridley in Smash 4, and not Other M Ridley.

Considering the Japanese Zelda team knows how much the West hates Tingle, I sure hope the Japanese Metroid team knows how much the West hates Other M.

I hope Ridley is revealed in two months as well, but why are you so confident it will happen?

Would Sakurai really choose to show a character that's only popular in the west for a debut trailer?
Because Ridley is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer in the West. :awesome:

Besides, didn't you say your friend who works at NOA said that Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, and Little Mac are definitely in the game? Those four being listed as definites makes me think Ridley will surely be among the first newcomers unveiled (especially due to how much cooler of a villain he is compared to K. Rool, no offense K. Rool fans).

However, as I told you privately, I don't like all of those characters being listed together because of this:
http://www.gamespot.com/super-smash...s-via-bandai-namco-employees-64901335/?page=0

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because Ridley is the most wanted Nintendo newcomer in the West. :awesome:

Besides, didn't you say your friend who works at NOA said that Ridley, K. Rool, Takamaru, and Little Mac are definitely in the game? Those four being listed as definites makes me think Ridley will surely be among the first newcomers unveiled (especially due to how much cooler of a villain he is compared to K. Rool, no offense K. Rool fans).

However, as I told you privately, I don't like all of those characters being listed together because of this:
http://www.gamespot.com/super-smash...s-via-bandai-namco-employees-64901335/?page=0
But of course. :awesome:

My friend did say that, but just because they are in the game does not mean they may not be unlockable (and thus kept secret). Although I agree, Ridley would be the ultimate dark horse character for the west.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
To be fair, the trailer would be shown to a mostly western audience. Besides, he'd probably strike a sort of balance with the other characters that are shown. ALSO, it's not like Ridley is wholly unappealing himself, lol. Even to those that don't know who he is, the idea of playing as a big scary dragon is probably at least a little cool.

Also, Chrono, have you considered the possibility of Ridley getting an original design? How would you feel about that?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
But of course. :awesome:

My friend did say that, but just because they are in the game does not mean they may not be unlockable (and thus kept secret). Although I agree, Ridley would be the ultimate dark horse character for the west.
Could you please post everything your friend said in this thread? You said the reason why he even found out was that Sakurai had to be more vocal due to his hand injury.

I just hope that we get Ridley and not Little Birdie and Hairizard.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Could you please post everything your friend said in this thread? You said the reason why he even found out was that Sakurai had to be more vocal due to his hand injury.

I just hope that we get Ridley and not Little Birdie and Hairizard.
Alright. I'll re-convey what my friend said. Due to Sakurai's hand injury, he is forced to be more vocal about what he wants done. This caused some things that were supposed to be super secret to become known by other people who work at Nintendo. Apparently, this trickled down to other departments and divisions and became a pretty big rumor around the office.

According to my friend, he states that Ridley, King K.Rool, Little Mac and Takamaru were in. I tried to get more information out of him, but he said that was all he knew.

I'm not sure if I believe it myself, but my friend is surprisingly confident about this, so.... I don't know.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, Chrono, have you considered the possibility of Ridley getting an original design? How would you feel about that?
I am cool with however Ridley turns out to be in Smash 4. As long as we don't get Other M Ridley and/or the evolution gimmick, I will incredibly hyped once Ridley is confirmed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I mained Ganondorf in Brawl (for reasons pertaining to a clan I used to be in), so sure. I'd still use him. Would be more of the same to me.

As for a Metroid reboot, guess I could settle with that, even as long as I've wanted a Fusion sequel (could see it happening over a Star Fox reboot at least). The way people see Fusion now has probably been changed, ruined, or whatever anyway because of Other M...

Though that wasn't directed at me, I'd certainly welcome it. Good to have a fresh design (if it's a really cool one) over the same ol' same ol' every now and then.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Other M was not that bad. It was a great game actually. 8/10

Geez. People complained about Prime 3 when it came out. Now it's amazing. I'm convinced that once we get a new Metroid game, people will hate that and start to like Other M.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I used to think Prime 3 was unfairly criticized, though it mainly came down to people thinking it was too easy due to hyper mode or ******** about what they felt to be an anticlimactic ending. Compared to Other M though, it wasn't complained about at all, and I don't really hate either, much as I can see why others may.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Other M was not that bad. It was a great game actually. 8/10

Geez. People complained about Prime 3 when it came out. Now it's amazing. I'm convinced that once we get a new Metroid game, people will hate that and start to like Other M.
I would agree Other M is a 8/10 game, however, as a Metroid game it was pretty bad and had a lot of problems. The awful Ridley design and Samus characterization were just some of my beefs with it. It just did not feel like Metroid at all.

As for Prime 3, people did not hate it. However, they did complain it was not up to the same quality as Prime 2 and Prime 1. It certainly felt less Metroid-y than those previous two games (though that was due to how much dialogue that game had). Prime 3 was still a very good game though.

Here is how I would rank the Metroid games:

Best game of all time tier:
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime

Amazing superb game tier:
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime 2

Very good game tier:
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Prime 3

Dated, but very good for their time tier:
Metroid II
Metroid

Decent games in their own right, but bad as Metroid games tier:
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Hunters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, this tread is still toasty-warm from all the flame wars.

Personally I could see Ridley in Smash 4, and have a few ideas on how he would work, butI won't be mad if he isn't in. Besides the Ridley Boss Fight in SSE was one of the best.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As for Prime 3, people did not hate it. However, they did complain it was not up to the same quality as Prime 2 and Prime 1. It certainly felt less Metroid-y than those previous two games (though that was due to how much dialogue that game had).
I don't think dialogue was much of a reason, considering Samus herself was still playing the typical silent protagonist at the time, and out of the trilogy, Prime 2 was the one that easily felt the least Metroid-y, with both the Metroids and Space Pirates taking a back seat in the game, while the main enemies were some little dark buggers that took over other organisms, not that it was bad.

Top Bottom