• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't hate the dude. He just needs some games under his belt before making it to "potential newcomer" status.

Ridley is NOT competing with Anthony. They are in no way on equal footing. No, Anthony's competition is either a Hunter, or Dark Samus.
Its ONLY Dark Samus. Hunters are nothing compared to Dark Samus, just like Anthony. They were even less important to the plot than Anthony. And still, Dark Samus is not as important as Ridley or even close to that. But it is not too far from it. So, Ridley has not much competition. And his only rival should not get in before him because that character is not very important to the franchise story-wise, especially because of Prime 3`s ending that retconned everything Dark Samus did except for destruction and things like that.
Anthony has so much competition that he will not get in. It includes Rhedogian, MB, KJ, Zoomer, Nightmare, Goyagma, Vorash, Fake Kraid, Real Fake Kraid, that guy that owes me money, the list goes on...
I in no way think He is on equal grounds as Ridley, But I would not mind him as a character. If Fire Emblem can get two more Reps, So can Metriod
Well, Fire Emblem has more important characters than Metroid and wasting 1 slot just to have a 4th Metroid rep is pointless if said rep is as important as Tyranosaurus Rex in Jurassic Park 3 (if you don`t know - T.rex in that movie just appeared, chased main characters for few seconds, saw Spinosaurus, tried to kill him, somehow failed, got his neck snapped by Spinosaurus, dead, no more appearances in that movie, the main antagonist is now Spinosaurus).
Oh, and Anthony has very low moveset potential.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Good lord can we not Anthony.

Past Ridley, Sylux and Rundas would be the characters I could see being picked past that. Sylux moreso, but who can say.

Also can we all acknowledge that Fire Emblem is kind of *COMPLICATED*? Seriously. On average every other game, the series completely changes continuity.

EDIT: Saving that Gif.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What's all this "Ridley is too big" stuff? I played Metroid. He wasn't much taller than Samus.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
the pic of the day for today... another shot of the paper mario stage.

apparently its a transforming stage?

that is interesting.

looks like a giant blooper is a... boss/hazard, i guess... on that version of the stage... maybe?

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
What's all this "Ridley is too big" stuff? I played Metroid. He wasn't much taller than Samus.
An intelligent guestimation for his small size in Metroid is due to Samus' short firing range in that game.

In Zero Mission, the remake of that game, Ridley's size and Samus' firing range are increased significantly.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
the pic of the day for today... another shot of the paper mario stage.

apparently its a transforming stage?

that is interesting.

looks like a giant blooper is a... boss/hazard, i guess... on that stage.
That's a second PotD from yesterday. Today doesn't have one officially yet. Stage looks AWESOME!

Anthony Higgs does not deserve it more than Dark Samus, Kraid, or Ridley. Talk to me when he's appeared in multiple games. He's not bad, but no way is he more deserving than any of the other characters. In fact, Adam Malkovich has more of a chance since he's been in two games, technically.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Its exists because of idiots that use something that doesn`t matters in Smash since 64. And they sometimes use Metroid Prime 3 Meta Ridley for that, who then gets a lot smaller (2x bigger than Samus instead of 3x or even 4x bigger than Samus).
Size is not something that has been always accurate in SSB. For example, Pikachu is a lot bigger than he is in Pokemon games (somewhere near a human head`s size, maybe even smaller) and looks even bigger when compared to Charizard, who became smaller in Brawl than he is supposed to be. Lucario and Greninja got bigger too. And that destroys size argument along with Olimar or Bowser. But nope, Ridley is exception, th053 rul35 d0 n0t 4ppl7 t0 h1m! D3rpd3rp 5hut up d3lus10n4l 1d10ts 4nd g0 cr7 1n th3 c0rn3r

Last edited:

SpacePirate

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-9947-2377
That's a second PotD from yesterday. Today doesn't have one officially yet. Stage looks AWESOME!

Anthony Higgs does not deserve it more than Dark Samus, Kraid, or Ridley. Talk to me when he's appeared in multiple games. He's not bad, but no way is he more deserving than any of the other characters. In fact, Adam Malkovich has more of a chance since he's been in two games, technically.
Its exists because of idiots that use something that doesn`t matters in Smash since 64. And they sometimes use Metroid Prime 3 Meta Ridley for that, who then gets a lot smaller (2x bigger than Samus instead of 3x or even 4x bigger than Samus).
Size is not something that has been always accurate in SSB. For example, Pikachu is a lot bigger than he is in Pokemon games (somewhere near a human head`s size, maybe even smaller) and looks even bigger when compared to Charizard, who became smaller in Brawl than he is supposed to be. Lucario and Greninja got bigger too. And that destroys size argument along with Olimar or Bowser.
To add to this wasn't Ganondorf sized down too?

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

he posts more than one a day?

weird... that picture only recently appeared for me... why isnt it called "pics of the day" if he posts more than one?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
he posts more than one a day?

weird... that picture only recently appeared for me... why isnt it called "pics of the day" if he posts more than one?
He posts up to three, but he doesn't make multiple posts every day. Usually when he wants to expand on something his first pic can't fully cover.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
i really just cant find any solid evidence that ridley could be a boss or hazard... unless i counted wrong, there are over 60 images of the pyrosphere stage.

not a single one has even the tiniest hint of ridley being a boss on it.

the "evidence" people come up with to deconfirm him is just garbage in my opinion.

you can not have such a large amount of screenshots of ONE stage and not have even a tiny hint that a boss exists on the stage.

july is almost over... come on, august... COME ON, RIDLEY!!!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
i really just cant find any solid evidence that ridley could be a boss or hazard... unless i counted wrong, there are over 60 images of the pyrosphere stage.

not a single one has even the tiniest hint of ridley being a boss on it.

the "evidence" people come up with to deconfirm him is just garbage in my opinion.

you can not have such a large amount of screenshots of ONE stage and not have even a tiny hint that a boss exists on the stage.

july is almost over... come on, august... COME ON, RIDLEY!!!
Yeah...but there is no solid evidence that he is playable either. Come on, Sakurai!

That "evidence" against Ridley has always been just garbage except for screenshots with Boss Ridley during Brawl days.

Soon...we all will ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F***ER. Either as a boss or as a playable character. In the latter case, someone will engage him while we will engage everyone with RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER! And then the fandom will rejoice.

Also, Other M ruined Samus` personality/characterization, but improved Ridley`s. Weird, huh?

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Yeah...but there is no solid evidence that he is playable either. Come on, Sakurai!

That "evidence" against Ridley has always been just garbage except for screenshots with Boss Ridley during Brawl days.

Soon...we all will ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER F***ER. Either as a boss or as a playable character. In the latter case, someone will engage him while we will engage everyone with RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER! And then the fandom will rejoice.

Also, Other M ruined Samus` personality/characterization, but improved Ridley`s. Weird, huh?
Metroid Spinoff Following the story of Ridley confirmed for Wii U

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Metroid Spinoff Following the story of Ridley confirmed for Wii U
I wish it would exist. While still being at least 12+. If Nintendo already made games about genocidal pink ball, then it is not so impossible. Who wouldn`t want to play as a giant friggin` awesome space dragon? But if that will ever happen while i am alive, then i will have to worry only about it turning into Ridley the Space Dragon...or Metroid `14...or a spin-off series Ridley`s Island or RidleyWare or Ridley Country or...well, i would accept any of those except for Metroid `14 and Ridley the Space Dragon.
Well, he IS popular in japan either way (they most likely heard about the whole Ridley debate), but not enough. There is a lot of things more popular than him in Japan.

Last edited:

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
I could imagine Anthony in his announcement trailer now.

Samus is being overwhelmed by a large amount of Kihunters and Space Pirates, and out of the blue a large plasma beam cuts through them like butter. Samus turns around to see Anthony Higgs, the camera zooms in on him as he repositions his plasma gun over his shoulder and he lifts up his helmet. "Remember me?" The camera stays on him briefly enough for us to assume he's getting his own splash tagline, yet before that happens, he's covered by an ominous shadow and a knife tail swats him over a cliff with no effort at all. Ridley touches down and shares a brief stare with Samus, and lets out a defening screech. His splash banner reads "Ridley won't be overshadowed!" Gameplay footage of Ridley plays.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
People try and say that Metroid is some obscure franchise there that no one has any interest in, this shows that it is a big fat lie.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
People try and say that Metroid is some obscure franchise there that no one has any interest in, this shows that it is a big fat lie.
It is just like 5 people dude. It's not that big of a deal. We already know he is barely popular. 5 people wanting him doesn't change that

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...then why is there someone complaining about Other M or why there is more than 1-2 games? If no one would have any interest in it, then we wouldn`t be here, supporting Ridley, because he would remain that small weird dragon thing and would be just yet another boss no one except for a very small group of those who for some reasons liked him. He would then become Metroid`s own Daisy or maybe even Waluigi. And Other M would be most likely liked or at least not hated if it would be the 2nd/3rd Metroid game.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It is just like 5 people dude. It's not that big of a deal. We already know he is barely popular. 5 people wanting him doesn't change that
This isn't just someone saying he likes Ridley, he is saying Ridley is popular.

Its obviously not that big a fanbase in Japan but I think people exaggerate how small it is.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Another Filler Picture of the Day....
I, for one, am a HUGE Galaga fan, so it's not just filler for me. Two straight days of awesome pics! (yeah, technically filler since we knew about it before, but I love Galaga, it's my second favorite game of all time).

Chances are, no Ridley PotD unless he's revealed in an upcoming direct.

Weavel

Smash Ace
Guys make sure you have an entertaining distraction, you don't want hype causing you physical pain.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
I, for one, am a HUGE Galaga fan, so it's not just filler for me. Two straight days of awesome pics! (yeah, technically filler since we knew about it before, but I love Galaga, it's my second favorite game of all time).

Chances are, no Ridley PotD unless he's revealed in an upcoming direct.
I love it too, great arcade memories for me, but yeah we knew that was in so it is a filler pic.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
Every single weekday/night I live in fear of Mashpotato Samurai Disconfirming Ridley, so much so that I can't sleep until the PotD is out. The recent development with Takamaru didn't help either.

I know a lot of stuff is pointing towards Ridley, with the secrets and the size analysis, but that can't stop my paranoia.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
This isn't just someone saying he likes Ridley, he is saying Ridley is popular.

Its obviously not that big a fanbase in Japan but I think people exaggerate how small it is.
I still think you're overhyping it. Some Japanese dude said Ridley's popular there? There we have it! He'a popular!

That's like me going on Miiverse and saying Captain Rainbow is popular in America. And every Japanese dude taking it as fact that Americans love and know of Captain Rainbow

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I still think you're overhyping it. Some Japanese dude said Ridley's popular there? There we have it! He'a popular!

That's like me going on Miiverse and saying Captain Rainbow is popular in America. And every Japanese dude taking it as fact that Americans love and know of Captain Rainbow
But why would you say that when he isn't?

I find it very doubtful that he would lie. He has no reason to.

I'm not saying that he is a big deal over there, just popular enough to be called popular.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

I'm not saying that he is a big deal over there, just popular enough to be called popular.
It's Miiverse first of all. Don't take anything as fact.

It's pretty childish to say that this one dude saying that is confirmation he's popular. It's not like it's a whole 'nother world over there that no one in the West has any knowledge of.

One random Japanese dude can say he's popular. But that doesn't change the fact that the polls and requests from Japan say otherwise.

It's also extremely random for someone to say "Ridley is popular!"

Also, you find it odd he'd lie? He wouldn't do that? Do you know this guy personally?! Lol

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
My dream last night seemed to go well, until it turned into a nightmare towards the end.

In that part, I was looking at Miiverse, and Sakurai posted that he was still finishing off a render for a character.

Then in a Miiverse post after that, he dis-confirms Ridley, but without any picture.

Ugh, seriously, I don't want that...

Zynux

Smash Lord
I have imparted upon this thread a whopping 76 posts (including this one)! You know what they say; quality over quantity :troll: !

(It's actually that I try my best to avoid shipping shenanigans, I'm not artistically gifted, and any sort of interesting discussion/debate has usually already long past by time I get here)

If Dark Pit is a boss, then we are absolutely screwed gents.

The shadow evidence will be null and void. I hope you're ready for that.
We were using it to prove that Ridley was small right?

Well if Dark Pit of all things is a boss then it doesn't matter as small characters can be bosses.
Assuming that Dark Pit actually becomes a boss on Palutena's Temple (that is, he can actually do damage, take damage, and be defeated on the field. Not just a stage hazard that mess things up), it would certainly put a dent on the logic that Ridley can't be a boss because he's too small to be a boss. Before, I witnessed many people (erroneously) state that Ridley simply could not be a boss on the pyrosphere because of his smaller size, and that it is uncharacteristic and illogical for Bosses to be small because they would prove to be too difficult to hit and KO. Thus, many assumed that all Stage Bosses will be fairly large, and thus Ridley would most likely not be a boss because of his smaller size (of course, this is assuming the shadow analyses are accurate enough). Dark Pit being a boss (especially on such a large stage) would prove quite clearly that such an argument holds little to no weight; that bosses will come in all shapes and sizes, and in Smash Bros there will be no such thing as what is considered a "logical" or "befitting" size for a boss.

However, Ridley is still very much in the clear as Dark Pit being a boss still does not debunk a valid question: Why was Ridley, a relatively large boss in Brawl, and has been a large boss in numerous Metroid games, been shrunken down to such a extreme degree (of course, if the shadow analyses are accurate. If they're not, then this is a moot point) that would befit a playable character? Even if small bosses may possibly be a thing, specifically shrinking Ridley down for the role is still very suspicious. Dark Pit may be small, but he wasn't made smaller: he just already had a small, humanoid body. Ridley on the other hand would be a case where he was intentionally shrunken down for the role, in comparison to his Brawl size, for seemingly no practical reason.

So, I do not think you need to worry much. After all, this is only under the assumption that Dark Pit is the most likely candidate to be the boss on Palutena's Temple (mainly due to his teasing the Palutena trailer), but if he is not the boss (or, even better, there's no boss on Palutena's Temple at all) then the arguments on why Ridley is a small boss still stands.

It's like people think I want Ridley to be a hazard when I've been supporting him in this thread for two years...
I honestly found it humorous that your differing perspective on the issue incited by discovered new information and your willingness to rationalize the possibility of this new information potentially hurting Ridley's chances with an open mind prompted such a reaction.

It seems that unless you exert 100% positivity you are in danger of being a dreaded detractor! :troll:

The problem is that we do not have enough data to make a proper judgement call on the situation. While it is nice to see a Japanese person state that Ridley may be more popular then we may think (I personally always had a feeling that Ridley's popularity, or at least awareness overseas may have been underestimated, but I have nothing objective to base this on) overall a single Miiverse post doesn't prove whether Ridley is popular in Japan or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom