• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
After watching the same GIF at different speeds and sizes, it does look like he jumped, but that may just be me seeing what I want to see.
If the evidence he was jumping was conclusive, like perhaps it was more clear that was it was, then that would be it. Your struggle would be over.
Bosses don't jump.

But as it stands, it's hard to tell what he's doing.
I don't think he grabbed Pikachu, though.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Welp, we got a boss on the 3DS today. Thats a strike towards people saying playable bosses on the Wii U, and honestly makes me like Ridley's chances a little better. Because if pyrosphere isn't appearing on the 3DS (which we don't know, but Sakurai said in this PotD most stages are different), then either Sakurai considers the Yellow Devil more important than Ridley, or Ridley is playable. (or bossly is too big for the 3DS)

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
After watching the same GIF at different speeds and sizes, it does look like he jumped, but that may just be me seeing what I want to see.
And this is literally the Ridley debate. People picking and choosing patterns and principles things need to adhere to when it may not even be true or applicable. At least you realize you have bias (unlike everyone who denies their inherent human nature), and that you replayed the clip over and over to see what was there.

Welp, we got a boss on the 3DS today. Thats a strike towards people saying playable bosses on the Wii U, and honestly makes me like Ridley's chances a little better. Because if pyrosphere isn't appearing on the 3DS (which we don't know, but Sakurai said in this PotD most stages are different), then either Sakurai considers the Yellow Devil more important than Ridley, or Ridley is playable. (or bossly is too big for the 3DS)
It isn't a matter of importance, for all we know Ridley and Yellow Devil could be bosses on both systems. They aren't mutually exclusive on the 3DS.

Plus the Mega Man iteration we have represents the Mega Man from the main series. I really can't think of a better stage for Mega Man than Dr. Wily's Castle.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My money's on Ridley being too much for the game's hardware to handle. :awesome:

But yeah, you might be on to something.
Though there's a chance there's simply another stage with Ridley on it that isn't Pyrosphere.

Which would suck because I want Brinstar Depths with Kraid. :(

NatP

Smash Ace
Many times he's teased something it's become something greater
Welcome to our world lol. This is honestly the biggest factor for me. As I personally see it, there are two options on what could happen to Ridley: either he follows the flow of all the other teases and he becomes a badass playable space pirate dragon with an awesome moveset that Sakurai really put a lot of effort into and he turns out be a great new addition... Or Ridley is the exception to this rule for whatever reason, and he is indeed just a boss on the Pyroshere stage.

Anyway, at this point, frankly anything could happen. The fact that Robin made it in as a playable character showed everyone that everything is still up in the air.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
for all we know Ridley and Yellow Devil could be bosses on both systems. They aren't mutually exclusive on the 3DS.

Plus the Mega Man iteration we have represents the Mega Man from the main series. I really can't think of a better stage for Mega Man than Dr. Wily's Castle.
Pretty sure I said that first point in my post. And your second point is completely moot. You not being able to think of a better megaman stage =/= there aren't other good megaman stages.

My money's on Ridley being too much for the game's hardware to handle. :awesome:

But yeah, you might be on to something.
Though there's a chance there's simply another stage with Ridley on it that isn't Pyrosphere.

Which would suck because I want Brinstar Depths with Kraid. :(
I would love brinstar depths to return

my friends all hate that stage xD

Staarih

Smash Master
Ugh, I'm still not digging the stage bosses -thing. And now we have to deal with the Yellow Devil on the 3DS as well! Then again, it clarifies that stage bosses appear on the 3DS (the Dark Emperor was always under question), which makes me think that it must be quite a minor thing - otherwise Sakurai probably would've covered more of it by now and shown more stage bosses as the 3DS releases soon. The Yellow Devil seems to really be in a league of its own and maybe be the only one of its kind haha, it's really strange we haven't seen more of them (and even the April Direct just had "Yellow Devil" as the title of the section about it rather than something more general). More hope for Ridley I guess!

The flipside of 3DS having stage bosses of course could mean that Pyrosphere appears on the handheld too with Ridley as a boss. But nah, that's not gonna happen.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
@ NatP NatP I actually saw Robin as pretty likely, I think. Or I just really wanted him and saw his potential. Haha.

Well boys and girls, I'mma jet out for a bit, probably for the remainder of the day.

Just remember, folks:

• Evidence is evidence.

• A single repetition is not fully indicative of a pattern.

Remember that now.

Y'all have fun here. Keep it clean, like a clean restroom, before someone takes a dump in it right after the cleaning.

Last edited:

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
Yup. Metroid not only sells better, but it has better-quality games than certain franchises (coughStarFoxcough), yet it get way less representation.
As far as representation goes, as of Brawl I'm honestly not convinced Sakurai knows much about Metroid Prime either. The only Prime representation we got was Frigate Orpheon, literally the tutorial area of the game. And it flips for some reason.

Every other stage we've seen has either lava, rising acid, or Kraid, and they all take place in a cave. I know caves and such are Metroid's thing, but we could use some variety in Metroid stages, some of the other more iconic areas. Personally, I want Phendrena Drifts! Maybe even one of the BSL Station sectors in Fusion, or even something like the Phaaze Sanctum, anything other than a cave with lava/acid would make me happy.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Well, to be fair, there aren't many obvious candidates for playable characters for Metroid. And the ones that are iconic or popular...are generally gigantic monsters.

There's certainly more characters in Metroid than Samus and sexed-up Samus, though.

Like Ridley.
Look at all the stuff Dark Samus does as an AT. Im really surprised Sakurai stayed so true to her MP3 boss fight considering he didnt even bother to learn her origin story. She could have been a good character if you include things like self cloning and corrupting others. With Ridley, and even his Meta form, you could get a minimum of 5 or 6 characters total, say if you include someone like Anthony or Adam.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, to get things going, I once asked detractors how the would feel if Ridley was playable, almost every response was that they would be dissapointed and grumpy, except one who said he would go on a rampage. Bloody hell, some of them really act like they are going insane!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
And this is literally the Ridley debate. People picking and choosing patterns and principles things need to adhere to when it may not even be true or applicable. At least you realize you have bias (unlike everyone who denies their inherent human nature), and that you replayed the clip over and over to see what was there.
HUMAN? ME? HOW DARE YOU, FOUL MORTAL BEING. SHUDDER IN FEAR AS I BADMOUTH YOU WITH MODERATE INTENSITY, AS I HAVE NO DESIRE FOR WARNINGS OR INFRACTIONS BEING ISSUED BY THE MODERATORS.
lol ur mom

Really, the only "evidence" we have are Sakurai's teasing habits and perhaps the shadow analysis too (im probably missing stuff). Which I am still a bit iffy on, for some reason. Has anyone observed how the shadows of other characters behave in-motion, specifically the up-down motion? Do they grow or shrink or any of that jazz?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
HUMAN? ME? HOW DARE YOU, FOUL MORTAL BEING. SHUDDER IN FEAR AS I BADMOUTH YOU WITH MODERATE INTENSITY, AS I HAVE NO DESIRE FOR WARNINGS OR INFRACTIONS BEING ISSUED BY THE MODERATORS.
lol ur mom

Really, the only "evidence" we have are Sakurai's teasing habits and perhaps the shadow analysis too (im probably missing stuff). Which I am still a bit iffy on, for some reason. Has anyone observed how the shadows of other characters behave in-motion, specifically the up-down motion? Do they grow or shrink or any of that jazz?
The shadows are 1:1 with the character while the character is in the air, maybe a tad bit bigger. On the ground shadows are much smaller.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I would like to point out that Pikachu DOES have a shadow in that clip, only the shadow is hidden, it is right above his head if I recall
Checked it, apparently Pika DOES have a shadow. It isn't above its head, but it is visible when he passes over the middle of the stage. Difficult to see because the text blocks it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would like to point out that Pikachu DOES have a shadow in that clip, only the shadow is hidden, it is right above his head if I recall
Checked it, apparently Pika DOES have a shadow. It isn't above its head, but it is visible when he passes over the middle of the stage. Difficult to see because the text blocks it.
And as I just remarked, the shadows are very small and stretched out when characters are on the ground. If Pikachu was in the air, his shadow would be perfectly visible, and 1:1 with Pikachu's size. Mega Man's shadow is one that makes it quite clear the shadows are 1:1 with the character's size while in the air.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And as I just remarked, the shadows are very small and stretched out when characters are on the ground. If Pikachu was in the air, his shadow would be perfectly visible, and 1:1 with Pikachu's size. Mega Man's shadow is one that makes it quite clear the shadows are 1:1 with the character's size while in the air.
How else do you think some of the guys here found his in game size? Also, guests, we don't bite much

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
I can't speak for everyone else, but my thought was that we haven't had any 3DS Metroid stages revealed as far as I'm aware, and if the Pyrosphere gets put on the 3DS as well it can only be because of special reason, aka Ridley's a boss/stage hazard.
Didn't we just get our first star fox stage yesterday.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
The fact that this thread is this long, and that people are continuously debating, shows that nobody really knows Ridley's status. People are scared of him being a crappy boss, people want him to be a boss, people want him to be playable, and despite evidence leaning towards him being a boss we're all grasping at the straws looking for patterns or principles in the way Sakurai reveals things to justify our wants for Ridley to be playable.

If we were sure of Ridley's status then we wouldn't need to defend our positions so passionately and abundantly over 1000+ pages, name calling and putting others down and getting worked up and all.

Hell, at this point I'm not even 100% sure about his status in the game. He could work as a playable character, but evidence points towards him being a boss.

So basically you're saying the whole boss characters appearing on other stages is pretty much proof, (and you have the nerve to say we're grasping at straws?) but things like how Palutena's teasers and reveal are done are false or misleading because it's a pattern or a pattern that isn't really there?

Sakurai likes to tease, he flat out said Zero suit Samus wouldn't be in just to reveal her a few seconds later, also you don't find it odd he said boss characters when Ridley's shadow appear? Instead of a stage boss like the yellow devil? But no that would go against your view of the situation which automatically makes it false

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
How else do you think some of the guys here found his in game size? Also, guests, we don't bite much
No, you guys DO bite pretty consistently. I know. I always seem to catch tail ends of long arguments where I see supporters getting a bit too riled and offended. I'm not gonna let you play it off.

The very way these debates even start need to be handled differently. Heck, when somebody starts with this idea that people here believe 100% that Ridley is playable and begin to generalize, that should be nipped in the bud immediately, but not aggressively.

More often than not people are emotionally attached to their views, arguing their opinion rather than arguing the evidences on the table. Arguing opinions is what soils this thread so often. Learn to identify this so you know when to engage and when to just let it be.

It would also help to have supporters of varying levels around (some only slightly believe Ridley's playable, some are 50/50, some believe he's in but hardly give any attention to the Shadow evidence), not just one or two people who feel they gotta carry the entire thread on their backs, as if our purpose must be defended or all is lost. People will continue to doubt and believe Ridley is more likely a boss. Just point to the 2nd post in the thread now that it exists. Don't even go in trying to change anybody's mind until they acknowledge they've given the 2nd post a proper look. Heck, don't try and change their mind at all.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Alright, 5/8 of the way there to 2000!
I'm hoping for a possible reveal at SDCC. I doubt it, though it would be an awesome way to finish the smash 3ds tournament.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I actually wanted to post this. Take a look plz:

http://ssb4dojo.com/post/88984765921/rumor-mill-crashandcortexs-leak

While I have mostly written off ssb4dojo as a leak dump with hardly any quality control, I have to admit this one's pretty interesting in light of today's POTD...

If this list of 3DS stages is true, we're NOT getting a 3D Pyrosphere. We're getting SR388 (Metroid 2. No Fusion, 'cause it would be "SRX") as a 3DS Metroid stage. We're also getting Brinstar Depths from Melee.

Viewing the POTD was definitely a head scratcher, 'cause once again Sakurai seems to be treating Yellow Devil like a unique entity even though supposedly there are more like his kind. And if we're getting YD on the 3DS, and we have Dark Emperor on the 3DS (may just be a regular stage hazard), and "other bosses will make appearances", why isn't he using more general terms??

Heck, he groups the Wily Stage with the Boxing Ring stage rather than the Wily Stage with "other stages with boss characters". Maaaaybe it's because he hasn't officially declared any other characters out there as stage bosses. It's just odd to me.

Which is why I think it's still totally fine to question Ridley's role. Sakurai apparently wants to be clear when it matters, and this is anything but.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

While I have mostly written off ssb4dojo as a leak dump with hardly any quality control, I have to admit this one's pretty interesting in light of today's POTD...

If this list of 3DS stages is true, we're NOT getting a 3D Pyrosphere. We're getting SR388 (Metroid 2. No Fusion, 'cause it would be "SRX") as a 3DS Metroid stage. We're also getting Brinstar Depths from Melee.

Viewing the POTD was definitely a head scratcher, 'cause once again Sakurai seems to be treating Yellow Devil like a unique entity even though supposedly there are more like his kind. And if we're getting YD on the 3DS, and we have Dark Emperor on the 3DS (may just be a regular stage hazard), and "other bosses will make appearances", why isn't he using more general terms??

Heck, he groups the Wily Stage with the Boxing Ring stage rather than the Wily Stage with "other stages with boss characters". Maaaaybe it's because he hasn't officially declared any other characters out there as stage bosses. It's just odd to me.

Which is why I think it's still totally fine to question Ridley's role. Sakurai apparently wants to be clear when it matters, and this is anything but.
Very interesting

Well easy way to proove it fake if even one stage on that list thats not playable its fake

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
No it didn't. It just said that it appears there's no Brawl stages on 3DS, not that Melee stages are 3DS exclusive.
Well then i hope its true because that means 64 stages are coming back.

Hopefully to the wii u version as well. Today we have a good atart because its correct about the wily castle being a 3ds stage.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

leak said:
stg.boxing, stg.wily
This is...interesting.
Is there anything known about the date this leak was posted?

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Well, to get things going, I once asked detractors how the would feel if Ridley was playable, almost every response was that they would be dissapointed and grumpy, except one who said he would go on a rampage. Bloody hell, some of them really act like they are going insane!
Im looking forward to the Change.org petition to remove him.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Im looking forward to the Change.org petition to remove him.
I'm going to get a few buckets.
If people are willing to get THAT butthurt over small things, I'd use the opportunity to collect as many of those delicious, DELICIOUS tears as I can.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
This is...interesting.
Is there anything known about the date this leak was posted?
The statistics at the bottom say 1 month ago. That's pretty darn telling.

Let's not try to discuss too deeply in this however. I only brought up this leak in relation to the possibility of Pyrosphere and thus Hazardley possibly appearing on the 3DS.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This leak has been brought up in this thread before. And I knew someone would bring it up again now that Dr. Wily's Castle was confirmed for 3DS.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, today's reveal made me a little more confident in Ridley's chances.

And I was already pretty confident.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The statistics at the bottom say 1 month ago. That's pretty darn telling.

Let's not try to discuss too deeply in this however. I only brought up this leak in relation to the possibility of Pyrosphere and thus Hazardley possibly appearing on the 3DS.
this is actually a pretty interesting leak. I always liked it because it didn't try to confirm any characters, like most do. It hinted at chorus men, sure, but we've had tons of stages without playable reps. If we get a face raiders stage it'd sell me on this leak, haha.

Assuming this leak is true, it's still hard to say what it means for Ridley's chances. 3 Metroid stages on there is definitely a cool sign. not having two pyrospheres is also a good sign, imo. But it's not like it's a sure sign, they already have 3DS specific hazards (dark emperor) and Ridley hasn't shown up on a hand held in a long time, he could easily be a Wii U specific boss.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
this is actually a pretty interesting leak. I always liked it because it didn't try to confirm any characters, like most do. It hinted at chorus men, sure, but we've had tons of stages without playable reps. If we get a face raiders stage it'd sell me on this leak, haha.

Assuming this leak is true, it's still hard to say what it means for Ridley's chances. 3 Metroid stages on there is definitely a cool sign. not having two pyrospheres is also a good sign, imo. But it's not like it's a sure sign, they already have 3DS specific hazards (dark emperor) and Ridley hasn't shown up on a hand held in a long time, he could easily be a Wii U specific boss.
Actually, it doesn't hint at Chorus Men at all, just that Rhythm Heaven gets a stage. Which I've figured was highly likely for some time now.

But I think it does help Ridley, because the fact is that Ridley has ALWAYS played some role in every Smash game to date, either as a background element or something else. But on the 3DS, this would mean Ridley isn't represented in any way, shape, or form, as none of these 3DS stages are connected to Ridley at all.

Top Bottom