• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
My only question is: Where did the Ridley hate come from? I mean I was never a big fan of Ridley initially but grew to like him. It seems that people seem to hate him nowadays cause they simply don't want him in. But why don't they? I always came to the conclusion that if Ridley is in… Everyone "wins." As Supporters get their favorite to play, and detractors don't have to play him and could beat the living tar out of him if they truly don't like his entry. We all know it's likely he's playable, there's evidence at the very least implying it, but where did the hate actually spawn from?

As far as a trailer goes: I can seriously picture Ridley with a bunch of other villains or being attacked by Samus and another character (possibly) veteran revealed. Seems like the most likely options.
my guess is from Shokios video of why he dosnt want ridley to be in (i like his videos, he makes alot of sense in most of them...but that video is just wrong :/ ). in the end of his video he told everyone to send them his video if they ask for ridley to be in...then the ridley detractor virus spread and created a meme of ridley being too big and yeah :/

NatP

Smash Ace
My only question is: Where did the Ridley hate come from? I mean I was never a big fan of Ridley initially but grew to like him. It seems that people seem to hate him nowadays cause they simply don't want him in. But why don't they? I always came to the conclusion that if Ridley is in… Everyone "wins." As Supporters get their favorite to play, and detractors don't have to play him and could beat the living tar out of him if they truly don't like his entry. We all know it's likely he's playable, there's evidence at the very least implying it, but where did the hate actually spawn from?
It's just how popularity works. As a character becomes more popular, it will also proportionally get more and more hate from other people. Don't ask me why it works like this, but I've seen this happen a lot of times, in a lot of different cases.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
So the Smash Tourney Event at Comic Con thingy lasts around 4 days (the 24-27th)... they have "special surprises".... What can they do for four days? All I can see them do is start announcing veterans and spread them out through the week. I hope it's better than that.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Double Post Warning Received
my guess is from Shokios video of why he dosnt want ridley to be in (i like his videos, he makes alot of sense in most of them...but that video is just wrong :/ ). in the end of his video he told everyone to send them his video if they ask for ridley to be in...then the ridley detractor virus spread and created a meme of ridley being too big and yeah :/
Yeah, I've seen Shokio, and you might be right. Just doesn't add up as if he's in, then there's literally nothing. I mean with some hardcore detractors, it's like they'd take more clone characters over Ridley.

It's just how popularity works. As a character becomes more popular, it will also proportionally get more and more hate from other people. Don't ask me why it works like this, but I've seen this happen a lot of times, in a lot of different cases.
I think your explanation probably summarizes for most and BrigadeStuart's went into a little depth with it. I guess I see what you mean. My only concern is that whether he's in or not, people will still be arguing (of course it'll end up dying down… eventually).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Chozo are birds.

Ridley looks like a bird in youth.

Ridley is a Chozo.
Part of me always liked to think that Ridley's race was a more savage version of the Chozo or a rival to them. A rivalry that eventually resulted in most of both races getting wiped out, with Samus (due to her Chozo DNA) and Ridley's rivalry being kind of a descendent to a terrible war between the space birds and space dragons that happened ages past.

Speaking of which, if this hasn't been brought up before, how would this thread currently hold up if Sakurai had never teased Ridley with his shadow, let alone that PotD reveal of Pyrosphere? I mean, it's brought a lot of speculation and life to this thread, no? I wonder if this thread would even be past 1,000 pages if Ridley wasn't shown or hinted this whole time. :crazy:

EDIT: Well, I hoping to hear people's thoughts about this, but I guess not. :/ I also wanted a conversation starter, as I need to contribute to this thread more. ó3ò Oh well.
Even if the Pyrosphere tease still hadn't happened, I think the thread would've still held up as well as it did before, and it was still one of the most active threads even then in its own right, whether it would've still got past page 1000 or not. Main difference is we wouldn't be seeing them "ur in denial" posts.

Ridley's trailer has got to have him ripping Samus out of her spaceship and have Arwings chasing him down whilst shooting at him. Revealing :falco: or :wolf:. As he tries to annihilate Samus
That... would be cool. Don't know why I never thought of the idea of Ridley wrecking Samus's ship in some way before, but at least ripping Samus out of the ship would be different than just hitting it to death like Ghor did.

I hope for gliding mainly because Ridley flies through space with his apparently physics-defying wings that can fly without need for air.
That's probably due to the genetic enhancements he got as Meta-Ridley.

edit: Oh yeah, there was Super Metroid where he didn't have enhancements and went from a destroyed space station to a distant planet through space presumably without rest while carrying a Metroid.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I didn't feel like reading the pages I missed but I thought I'd throw this out at the stuff I missed:

Sheik is Zelda. If we can have some conclusive evidence that Ghirahim was Zelda all along in Skyward Sword, then his one game as a grunt track record won't matter as much.

Meanwhile I like to believe Ridley's race is exactly the same as he is, but they just chill on their planet going "Why does he care this much. ._. Overachiever." Before they go back to eating each other or whatever they do.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
Ridley.

He was bigger than a hilly.

But he's not as big as Cornelly.

So why for smash is he too big?

It sounds like haters need to just smoke a cig.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder what Ridley's U+B move would be…
Well, he could fly, or do some kind of command grab. Really, if anything I'd expect something similar to Charizard or Wario. Both of them have a corkscrew attack for an Up+B move.

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
Man, I just watched that shokio video… that’s definitely the most annoying, obnoxious thing I’ve seen in a while. I mean I can respect someone who looks at the evidence and concludes that, in their opinion, it’s more likely Ridley won’t be playable. But this guy spitting out the "too big" propaganda as if it’s fact is just a joke.

P.S how do you guys make that list of your ssb4 character wishlist?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After playing Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee again for nostalgia purposes, it made me think of something.

What if....Ridley had an energy meter that functioned like in that game?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
You could have used that time to read something more worthwhile, like The Lord of the Rings or the Odyssey.

But I suppose this thread is already kind of like a classical epic, so congratulations on that effort.
The Odyssey really isn't that long, and yes, I have read it before. Still have yet to get to TLotR though.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
After playing Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee again for nostalgia purposes, it made me think of something.

As someone who loves Destroy all Monsters Melee, I'd certainly find it interesting.

D

Deleted member

As someone who loves Destroy all Monsters Melee, I'd certainly find it interesting.
Looking at the way characters like Rodan and Ghidorah fly in the game (more so Rodan since Rodan actually flies at a good speed), doesn't the animation for Ridley in the Direct sort of remind you of that?

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Rodan confirmed

I can kind of see the resemblance. Of course, they're both big pterodactyl minsters so similarities are inevitable. I lie the idea though. Like Little Mac's KO meter, it would make him a very unique fighter.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I know it isn't. I liked it because it relates to my on topic quote of why I'm losing patience for Ridley's reveal. He could be revealed in September when he should be revealed in August.
I actually meant the post I quoted you in.

which kiiinda was an example and I was trying to be ironic.

I agree with your general point of too much on topic in this thread sometimes though

I try dammit ;(

Looking at the way characters like Rodan and Ghidorah fly in the game (more so Rodan since Rodan actually flies at a good speed), doesn't the animation for Ridley in the Direct sort of remind you of that?
I've played that game, and yes, surprisingly. I guess the comparison is more apt then I'd though about before.

Part of me always liked to think that Ridley's race was a more savage version of the Chozo or a rival to them. A rivalry that eventually resulted in most of both races getting wiped out, with Samus (due to her Chozo DNA) and Ridley's rivalry being kind of a descendent to a terrible war between the space birds and space dragons that happened ages past.
I've never thought of that before, but now that I've heard it, it's pretty damn cool and I'm going to think it.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Okay, let's clear up this "Shokio ignited the Ridley hate" junk.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-super-smash-bros-brawl?page=48&search=Ridley

This is from the Brawl boards. 2008. Over six years ago. Keep in mind GameFAQs only started archiving topics around the end of January 2008, so there easily could have been more Ridley topics. Take a gander through some of the topics and the reactions to Ridley being a boss.

The anti-Ridley sentiments have been a thing LOOOOONG before Shokio appeared.

All Shokio succeeded in doing is being loud and amassing a large group of people who can't think for themselves. They're just like "I think Ridley wouldn't work well, I just don't know why.... OH, this loud guy seems really really sure about what he's talking about, and he really thinks Ridley won't work. I'm so adapting his opinion!"

It urks me to put it this way, but blame it on charisma. Charisma doesn't need to emphasize any facts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

From a balance point of view, how quickly should flying drain the meter? Note, Ridley would only be able to fly left and right in this state.
And should Ridley be limited to facing the direction he started flight mode in until he lands, or be able to turn around?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I honestly don't like the limited flight idea. I like giving him 3 or 4 jumps, like Dedede had, and maybe a lot of horizontal movement in the air, like wario or jigglypuff. Combine that with either aerial smash attacks, or an aerial grab, and honestly that sounds pretty damn awesome to me.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice

Like an energy bar that limits how long he can be in the air? Recharging when he's on the ground? If he's gonna be an aerial fighter, I think this would balance him for those who fear the predicted style of play.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
From a balance point of view, how quickly should flying drain the meter? Note, Ridley would only be able to fly left and right in this state.
And should Ridley be limited to facing the direction he started flight mode in until he lands, or be able to turn around?
Do it like Marth, his BAir turns him around. Also it could chain nicely with a FAir.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
On a scale 1/10 what do you think the chances are of ridley getting in as a playable character in SSB4?
I'd say a 9... we have no solid explicit evidence, but we sure do have a lot of mildly suspicious circumstances that point towards it.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
On a scale 1/10 what do you think the chances are of ridley getting in as a playable character in SSB4?
I'd say about 7-8, there's not many real arguments against Ridley, and most of those are about being faithful to him from the Metroid games. But we have no conclusive evidence either, just teasers, and things we've picked up on that seem to be in Ridley's favour

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So I decided to test the waters at Miiverse. I merely said his name there, left for about an hour, and came back to find a single comment that wasn't anything detractor-ish.

Maybe Miiverse actually contains some amount of intelligence after all!

Ah who am I kidding.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'll say 8 personally, it seems likely to me but there's always a bit of doubt I can't shake.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Our San-Diego Comic-Con "Surprise" was revealed.
People who go to Comic-Con, manage to bring their phone, take a picture of themselves and post it to Nintendo on Twitter/Facebook/Whatever with #BringMeSmash will get a CHANCE to get a Demo of SSB4 on their 3DS.
Hurraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
People who go to Comic-Con, manage to bring their phone, take a picture of themselves and post it to Nintendo on Twitter/Facebook/Whatever with #BringMeSmash will get a CHANCE to get a Demo of SSB4 on their 3DS.
If that's true I take it that means everyone else won't be getting a demo for a while then.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Beta testers that don't get paid... GENIUS!

D

Deleted member

Like an energy bar that limits how long he can be in the air? Recharging when he's on the ground? If he's gonna be an aerial fighter, I think this would balance him for those who fear the predicted style of play.
It ties into more than just flying. Flying is just something that drains the meter.

I've talking about an energy meter like the one used in Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee.
Used mainly for Ridley's Kinetic Breath Weapon, he charges his attack and fires, which drains as it fires.
Entering a state of hovering flight also slowly depletes the meter (but lasts much longer than Peach's float if starting at full charge).
As Ridley is on the ground, the meter builds up over time.

I'm having a hard time explaining, so I hope this visual example of what I mean helps.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
You know what bugs me?
When detractors say adding Ridley would be like adding Kraid as a justification for "too big" as a legitimate argument
Ridley is a character who's large so hitting him when he's flying around in a fight isn't a pain in the a**
Kraid is a character who's whole fighting style is based around being large and much bigger than Samus.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wish detractors only knew, every time they say Ridley is too big, can't work, and can't be resized, one hundred puppies around the world die from extreme flatulence.

Not that they care about puppies, I'm sure. But yeah really the point of Ridley was never being too big. Kraid's stomach projectiles are meant to function as platforms. He's meant to be huge. Unless it's mini-kraid. I don't know what the point of Mini-Kraid is, other than a fake-out for people who played Metroid and were about to be faked out on how big Kraid actually was.

EDIT: Ridley's chances? About 9.5/10.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Nobody's "getting" a demo. They're just being allowed a hands-on if they perform the steps and get picked. It's really nothing unless you didn't attend the Smash-fest and/or are really desperate to play.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Every time someone says Ridley is too big, the Moon goes closer and closer to the Earth.
And we don't want that happening.

Top Bottom