• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just read the Metroid Manga and it was pretty good, Ridley was awesome in that.

Not sure how Other M ended up the way it did when it was based directly on that (I think), Why did Samus have a fit when she saw Ridley when she has already seen him be revived in at least Super Metroid, and how did she even recognize him?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If a direct is one the 6th, 24th, 27th, or 31st day of August, it is Ridley, these are the release dates of the original game, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Other M. 20th could be a possibility as it is when Super Metroid released on the Virtual Console, but I think it doesn't count

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I just read the Metroid Manga and it was pretty good, Ridley was awesome in that.

Not sure how Other M ended up the way it did when it was based directly on that (I think), Why did Samus have a fit when she saw Ridley when she has already seen him be revived in at least Super Metroid, and how did she even recognize him?
Are there any other giant winged plasma-vomiting reptiles hellbent on biting her head off?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Are there any other giant winged plasma-vomiting reptiles hellbent on biting her head off?
Probably, the amount of things Samus encounters. I probably would have thought the thing to be a distant relative maybe?

Also, Is Samus the ancestor of Carmen Sandiego?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I've had a look on Miiverse a few minutes ago...

You could lose a few braincells from reading posts...

Especially when reading the anti-Ridley posts... ._.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
You...
You...
Y-y-y-y-you...whaaaa~?
Ohmygodhowdidyousurvive?

Welcome aboard the space pirate ship.
Ridley is the Cunning God of Death and is our Lord and savior and our captain.
He welcomes anyone who can muster as much dedication as you have!
........Should we know this guy?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So I'm gonna be writing up a Ridley moveset speculation post for the Weekly Review either this week or next week.

Some of the things I'm going to talk about is Ridley's model and size (only regarding as a playable character), possible unique gameplay mechanics(aerial grappling/smashes, longer flight, other), and other standard moveset stuff (pogo tail, wall grind, final smash, ect)

If anyone has any specific posts saved from this thread (like the one with the shadows outlined that demonstrates a model that suggests Roidley, or a particularly good moveset) and wants me to include information from it in the article, feel free to pm it to me.

There's a lot of ridley good information in this thread and it's gonna take me a while to sort through the important stuff, so any help is appreciated : )

D

Deleted member

So I'm gonna be writing up a Ridley moveset speculation post for the Weekly Review either this week or next week.

Some of the things I'm going to talk about is Ridley's model and size (only regarding as a playable character), possible unique gameplay mechanics(aerial grappling/smashes, longer flight, other), and other standard moveset stuff (pogo tail, wall grind, final smash, ect)

If anyone has any specific posts saved from this thread (like the one with the shadows outlined that demonstrates a model that suggests Roidley, or a particularly good moveset) and wants me to include information from it in the article, feel free to pm it to me.

There's a lot of ridley good information in this thread and it's gonna take me a while to sort through the important stuff, so any help is appreciated : )
I nominate @ Angelglory Angelglory 's moveset for mention/inclusion, if I had to pick the one moveset that I like the best.

I like you other people's movesets too don't worry

Although I imagine he would prefer that you get his permission first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Although I imagine he would prefer that you get his permission first.
I'm not going to use anyone's posts without permission. Most of what I write up will be my own, or inspired from things read on this thread. However, there are some great comparative pictures of Ridley on this thread, that I think would help people get an idea of size. I'll probably ask to borrow a few of those.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Starting to change my mind about the whole size issue, and I know people here will not likely agree with me

But changing something size, specially something that's known to be big, can be very unfaithful to the original source. Making it small would just make it look goofy, I even have a picture to prove my point about the issue at hand...

So why did they shrink the great fox when they turned it into a Stage for the previous Smash games? :troll:

If people can let that pass then how can they argue about Ridley being resized? It makes no sense. It's not like Peach getting a mushroom will make her a scary monster, like Ridley's size apparently makes him, not to mention the fact he's a cunning god of death, who can get savage when he needs to.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Because, according to the logic (or the lack of rather) of Ridlephobes, Ridley is the exception. ALWAYS.

Never mind that SSB games are non-canon... or that Sakurai has shown that he doesn't seem to care about size canon...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I managed to convert someone on miiverse! I told them Sakurai debunked the size argument, ONE person didn't believe me and asked proof, I showed him, and now we have one toobigot gone! Shame we don't have much more that are reasonable

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So, in trying to decide a stance and general shape for Smash Ridley, I have become fixated on this guy

firebrand_by_steamboy33-d544o8x-1.jpg

Firebrand from Capcom. Look at that, he's basically Capcom's gargoyle Ridley. The stance, everything here would work perfect for Riddles McDiddles.
All you need is the tail, and you've got a perfect model for Roidley or a redesigned Ridley.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
You want to know how to fuel a huge argument? Make a post on Miiverse like "I'm bored let's talk about Ridley." I got in a debate with several people. And it was easy.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You want to know how to fuel a huge argument? Make a post on Miiverse like "I'm bored let's talk about Ridley." I got in a debate with several people. And it was easy.
Interesting.

I will verify this. In fact, I'm gonna drop a Riddles McDiddles Bomb on Miiverse right now.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, in trying to decide a stance and general shape for Smash Ridley, I have become fixated on this guy

View attachment 18990

Firebrand from Capcom. Look at that, he's basically Capcom's gargoyle Ridley. The stance, everything here would work perfect for Riddles McDiddles.
All you need is the tail, and you've got a perfect model for Roidley or a redesigned Ridley.
I've always kind of liked the possibility Ridley being like True Ogre, in the sense that they're both winged reptilian villains and were bosses at some point in their respective series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Interesting.

I will verify this. In fact, I'm gonna drop a Riddles McDiddles Bomb on Miiverse right now.
Want some fries with that?

To be honest, Miiverse is the source of the most bullcrap reasons not to include Ridley, some classic ones are 'I don't like him', 'He is ugly' and my absolute favorite: 'He has no character'

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've always kind of liked the possibility Ridley being like True Ogre, in the sense that they're both winged reptilian villains were bosses at some point in their series.

He's alright I guess, but I think he's a little too "thick" to be a model for Ridley.
Also, that's a reptilian? Hell, he doesn't look like a true ogre.

That would be this guy.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Huh... the character banners have been removed from the official SSB4 website...

They were barely up for a week...

Maybe a character announcement soon then? (Ridley pleeeeeeeeeasssssseeeee Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiii ;~; )

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I started playing the original Metroid, and have gotten way farther then I ever thought possible before. Found the Long Beam, Morph Ball Bombs, Missiles (plus one expansion), and at least one energy tank. I've found both Kraid and Ridley's lairs, but haven't encountered either yet.

It's extremely annoying that your health goes back to 30 after every death though.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I tried that with some random poster who said they wanted to argue about something.

I sketched a quick Ridley, and she goes "Not good enough, Sakurai already said he'd be a stage hazard."

Then I post my "Ridley Falls In!" picture elsewhere, and she hunts it down and comes in with "As a stage hazard."

What is the mindset of these people that they're so negative and offensive?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I tried that with some random poster who said they wanted to argue about something.

I sketched a quick Ridley, and she goes "Not good enough, Sakurai already said he'd be a stage hazard."

Then I post my "Ridley Falls In!" picture elsewhere, and she hunts it down and comes in with "As a stage hazard."

What is the mindset of these people that they're so negative and offensive?
Most people don't look in to anything and think Sakurai outright said he was a hazard

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Huh... the character banners have been removed from the official SSB4 website...

They were barely up for a week...

Maybe a character announcement soon then? (Ridley pleeeeeeeeeasssssseeeee Sakuraaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiii ;~; )
Found the Character Banner:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
If it's for the good of Ridley, you guys can use any of the stuff I've made. (with mention that I was the one that made the item, to prevent confusion among the less informed)

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I just don't understand the hostility. Why be so hateful against people who want to play as a space dragon? What's wrong with that?

Anyway. Has anyone else noticed an alarming trend of human newcomers? At least half the newcomers have been standard, proportional humanoids. Palutana, Little Mac, The Fire Emblem duo, Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer. And then you've got the cartoony Villager and Mii Fighters.

I get that they're all going to be unique (Relatively speaking, Lucina.) But where's all the non-human fighters that we love Nintendo for?

majora_787

Smash Hero

The difference is between shooting something until it dies and annihilating an entire planet which contains Ridley and everything that could or would bring him back, letting a good amount of time pass, and being jumped by something that is pretty clearly if not Ridley, something just like Ridley. Other M's fight against Ridley is a pretty unique context compared to other games, considering Ridley actually conclusively died beforehand, but surprise, the FEDERATION revived him because they're a bunch of morons.

EDIT: I'd appreciate if it showed the rest of the pages BEFORE I post, not after. -_-

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I just don't understand the hostility. Why be so hateful against people who want to play as a space dragon? What's wrong with that?

Anyway. Has anyone else noticed an alarming trend of human newcomers? At least half the newcomers have been standard, proportional humanoids. Palutana, Little Mac, The Fire Emblem duo, Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer. And then you've got the cartoony Villager and Mii Fighters.

I get that they're all going to be unique (Relatively speaking, Lucina.) But where's all the non-human fighters that we love Nintendo for?
Forgetting about :4greninja: and :4pacman: now, are you?

If the Trophy Quiz theory is 100% true, then we'll be getting our next non-human newcomer in the form of Ridley.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The difference is between shooting something until it dies and annihilating an entire planet which contains Ridley and everything that could or would bring him back, letting a good amount of time pass, and being jumped by something that is pretty clearly if not Ridley, something just like Ridley. Other M's fight against Ridley is a pretty unique context compared to other games, considering Ridley actually conclusively died beforehand, but surprise, the FEDERATION revived him because they're a bunch of morons.

EDIT: I'd appreciate if it showed the rest of the pages BEFORE I post, not after. -_-
Because cloning Metroids, having Mother Brains being in control of everything wasn't bad enough(MP3)

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

I Hate it when people complain about that scene. it really seems like they just want to believe Samus is just the emotionless suit, when Samus is fully realized character. She has fears, and dislikes, and honestly, How would you react if I skilled murderer continuously pursued you, and then you finally kill him, believed to be Rid of him, only to have him be alive and well, and continue to try to kill you?! I sure as hell wouldn't have handled it well!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I Hate it when people complain about that scene. it really seems like they just want to believe Samus is just the emotionless suit, when Samus is fully realized character. She has fears, and dislikes, and honestly, How would you react if I skilled murderer continuously pursued you, and then you finally kill him, believed to be Rid of him, only to have him be alive and well, and continue to try to kill you?! I sure as hell wouldn't have handled it well!
Honestly they overdid it and got a bit melodramatic yeah, but I don't think it was nearly as bad conceptually as people make it seem. :Y

Then people pull the "BUT SHE'S A BOUNTY HUNTER" card, but uh... that would be an occupation, not a parsonality, so I dunno.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My thoughts about the 'Samus' character was ruined in Other M' What character?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Keep spending most our lives living in the detracta's paradise~ ♪
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAHAHH ♫
Keep spending most our lives living in the detracta's paradise~ ♪
aaaaaaaaAAAAAAahhahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ♫

Ridley is not only one of the most popular characters to be playable, but the most controversial because of Shokio
Shokio is just a loud Ridley detractor, he's not the one who started the controversy.

Top Bottom