• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
@ Oasis: lol Okay, though I've been had forgotten about Gypsy. :p He closed the shoutbox again btw, so that's why it's not working.

@ Phaazoid: I appreciate the praise man, but I don't think I can do all the arguing. So with that said.. who wants to maybe respond to this guy (at least as far as the too big, etc. comments), and whatever similar mentions in that thread Ridley gets like that in the future?

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14686390&postcount=66

Then again, polls or threads about newcomers people hate will always have ignorant things said about said characters, so probably not worth it.

edit: He admitted Ridley could work somewhat if resized at least. Didn't see that part at first, so I guess he's not that bad. But man, I need to stop viewing threads like that so my IQ won't drop.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
lol prime, haters gonna hate. We know the truth, and we'll spread it best we can. If haters continue to hate, not our problem.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
2) Predictable moveset. Scratch, tail jab, head butt/scratch and wing scratch is basically it; it would be easy to beat.
Mario: punch, jump, fireball, spin
Bowser: Jump, fire, squash, spikes
Olimar: Pikmin chain, throw, pluck
Peach: Hover...tennis racket
R.O.B.: LAZSER BEAMSS
Zelda: Magic
Falcon: That move set was pulled straight out of Sakurai's ***.
Ganondorf: see above
Pit: A newly created move set with no prior games to look at.

So....basically.....any type of argument on a character based on move sets (save for a few) are automatically invalid. Time and time again, sakurai shows he has the aptitude for taking non-existing move sets and pulling them from his *** and, somehow, making them work. Ridley has pre-existing moves and attacks so putting together a interesting and workable move set would be fairly easy.

Oh.....btw....Ridley for Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

Er...don't mean to nitpick, Venus, but Pit's moveset was taken from the 3 Sacred Treasures.

Now the ICE CLIMBERS on the other hand....were pulled out the ***. :awesome:

Anyways, still waiting on that Giga Bowser to Boss Ridley and Boss Ridley to Boss Meta Ridley comparisons...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
He probably meant the bowblades thing. That came from no where.

But that is something I've said before. Many popular characters now like Ridley, K. Rool, and Mac aren't INCREDIBLY GROUNDBREAKINGLY UNIQUE. They may even be a little bit boring when you look at what it is they can offer. But that's not to say they can't add SOMETHING. Wouldn't necessarily be what kind of attacks they're using, but how they attack in general. Just something subtly different. Like Wolf. I think Wolf is a pretty good example of how to make a character feel unique. His F-Smash was something entirely new, even if it's just some claw attack. The animation, the timing, every little thing contributes to how that character FEELS like an individual.

For guys like Ridley, I think we'll be seeing a lot of that.

D

Deleted member

Ridley could add his size. :troll:

Well, seriously, size COULD play a factor in making him unique.

Especially if it's true that Giga Bowser is larger than him.
Think about it, a larger character that is slow and sluggish, but has super armor on quite a few of his moves, and immunity to grabs.
Smash's first official giant.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
He could be like PTX-40A in TvC, when you select him you cannot select as many characters. One man team. :troll:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

Him?

I do think that would be a cool idea. I don't think it's quite fitting for Ridley, because I never thought of him as a "big" character. The people who propagated this idea that he's "too big" really just had no idea what they were talking about. His size was never a central part of his character. BUT IF SAKURAI FELT MAKING HIM REALLY HUGE LIKE THAT WOULD SET HIM APART FROM EVERYONE ELSE then that's fine.

Now if Godzilla could get in, I would be all over that idea for him. I guess I could settle for Kraid. Trying to think of other Nintendo characters that would work for that idea.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Him?

I do think that would be a cool idea. I don't think it's quite fitting for Ridley, because I never thought of him as a "big" character. The people who propagated this idea that he's "too big" really just had no idea what they were talking about. His size was never a central part of his character. BUT IF SAKURAI FELT MAKING HIM REALLY HUGE LIKE THAT WOULD SET HIM APART FROM EVERYONE ELSE then that's fine.

Now if Godzilla could get in, I would be all over that idea for him. I guess I could settle for Kraid. Trying to think of other Nintendo characters that would work for that idea.

I was being sarcastic since somebody brought up the giant character bit.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Er...don't mean to nitpick, Venus, but Pit's moveset was taken from the 3 Sacred Treasures.

Now the ICE CLIMBERS on the other hand....were pulled out the ***. :awesome:

Anyways, still waiting on that Giga Bowser to Boss Ridley and Boss Ridley to Boss Meta Ridley comparisons...
It's been a long time since I played the other KI games but did he has the duo bow/blades? I was referencing that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm convinced, I guess Ridley is too big :(

you should prolly shut down the thread, oasis...

And I held such a torch for him, too.

D

Deleted member

Him?

Well, I wasn't thinking THAT extremity for size, but the general idea that PTX-40a and Gold Lightan held in comparison to the rest of the cast of that game.

I mean literally taking Ridley's Brawl Boss size and making him work from there. He wouldn't be SUPERUBERGIGAHUMONGOUSAUR size like people claim he'd be, but he'd still be considerably larger than the rest of the cast. The Boss size would work ESPECIALLY if Giga Bowser is much larger like Mario And Sonic Guy said.

It's been a long time since I played the other KI games but did he has the duo bow/blades? I was referencing that.
Oh, you meant the blades. Then no, Sakurai pulled that out too. Actually Darth Maul from Star Wars was a bit of an inspiration for that, according to the Nintendo Power interview where Sakurai talked about Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm convinced, I guess Ridley is too big :(

you should prolly shut down the thread, oasis...

And I held such a torch for him, too.
Not sure if serious.

Oh, you meant the blades. Then no, Sakurai pulled that out too. Actually Darth Maul from Star Wars was a bit of an inspiration for that, according to the Nintendo Power interview where Sakurai talked about Ridley.
Oh yeah, there was that too. Interesting trivia. The Darth Maul part I mean.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mario and Sonic Guy did some alt. colors a few pages back, I believe.

Here's an idea for a stage entrance. You know how in Super Metroid his eyes are visible and his body slowly fades in? That'd be a cool entrance.

TheJohnMonster

Smash Ace
Hello, i have never done a thread like this so...
For taunts, i was thinking his swings his head and shoots fireballs, it could even do damage. Another one, is he flies in a small circle, similar to Ganondorf when he spins in a cricle. And his last one, he could grind his tail on the ground and swing it around.
for colors, he could have the different color schemes from his different forms.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Taunt idea: Give him Mario's Super Mushroom taunt. :troll:

I was thinking a cool victory pose would have him perching on the boss statue from Super Metroid.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mario and Sonic Guy did some alt. colors a few pages back, I believe.

Here's an idea for a stage entrance. You know how in Super Metroid his eyes are visible and his body slowly fades in? That'd be a cool entrance.
That's actually what I have in my moveset in the first post, lol. Though I also wanted to incorporate that EAR-PIERCING SCREAM he does in the GBA games. Would be tough condensing both into one short fluid animation though.

His taunts would probably end up just being a bunch of roars like Charizard. BORING. Wish he could have an evil laugh, but with Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Wario, and Dedede (maybe more?), that might be overdone. Maybe he could... lick his "lips" like he's going to enjoy eating you? A PRETTY RIDLEY THING TO DO I WOULD SAY.

D

Deleted member

Another one of his taunts should be him eating a Toad pizza and spitting it out.
Another should be Shota Ridley.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
That's actually what I have in my moveset in the first post, lol. Though I also wanted to incorporate that EAR-PIERCING SCREAM he does in the GBA games. Would be tough condensing both into one short fluid animation though.
I want this. Hell, it could even be a special move. although that may make it kinda lame.

Not sure if serious.
lol of course not

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for Ridley in the next Smash, but he definitely shouldn't have his hideous Other M design. I'd rest easier if nothing from that game made it in. The Zero Suit having heels is really stupid, and I'd rather not have Samus voiced by Jessica Martin (or at all).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually didn't even notice how ugly he is in Other M until I just looked it up just now

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I actually didn't even notice how ugly he is in Other M until I just looked it up just now
Yeah, he's got a rather humanoid physique, an over-abundance of spikes, is really beefy and has a face a bit more like a duck than a dragon. He's also the last stage of Furby's life cycle.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I'm all for Ridley in the next Smash, but he definitely shouldn't have his hideous Other M design. I'd rest easier if nothing from that game made it in. The Zero Suit having heels is really stupid, and I'd rather not have Samus voiced by Jessica Martin (or at all).
Jessica Martin is a decent voice actor in a bad role; in the scenes where she's allowed to emote (Like Ian's death), she doesn't sound like a robot.

But yeah, I'd prefer if suited Samus wasn't voiced.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Agree with you on the heels thing. I also didn't care for Samus' voice, but most of what was wrong with the game can be blamed on Yoshio Sakamoto(but that's neither here nor there). I wouldn't mind seeing Anthony as an Assist or something though.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
*summons anthony higgs*
*dramatic close up*
*higgs retracts visor*
"remember me??"
*15 smart bombs go off at once*

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's wrong with the zero suit having heels?

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
What's wrong with the zero suit having heels?
It's supposed to be a flexible, maneuverable suit to wear under her armor, yet in Other M she has high heels. It's unnecessary sexualization (on top of the skintight zero suit, but it has an excuse) and doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
lol of course not
Was waiting for some kind of punchline, but I guess that works too.

I'd be kinda disappointed if he didn't have that thing where he changes the pigments of his skin and hardens it from Other M as a special move or something. It's definitely more unique than any down B or side B move I've seen in other Ridley movesets, no matter how they were to execute it in Smash. Could be either a reflector move or something that makes him temporarily immune to most/all projectiles while gaining a little more speed and strength like in Other M.

For what it was worth, I liked that voice better than her Brawl one, as it sounded closer to what I imagined her sounding like. As for the heels, it's Team Ninja, what do you expect? They probably would've done a lot more with her were it not for Sakamoto, lol.

Yeah, he's got a rather humanoid physique, an over-abundance of spikes, is really beefy and has a face a bit more like a duck than a dragon. He's also the last stage of Furby's life cycle.
I liked the spikes personally, but I'm with you on disliking the face, though the head makes him look more like the pterodactyl pterosaur he was mostly based off of, rather than a duck.

It's supposed to be a flexible, maneuverable suit to wear under her armor, yet in Other M she has high heels. It's unnecessary sexualization (on top of the skintight zero suit, but it has an excuse) and doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.
It's also just stereotypical/sexist for her to have in general, but again, it's not really anything compared to what TN could have done with her if they had gotten their way.

ridley's too big. How would they fit him on the disc?????????
DLC?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would've thought that my size comparison images would settle things for Ridley's size. I guess certain quotes just don't know when to quit.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I'd be kinda disappointed if he didn't have that thing where he changes the pigments of his skin and hardens it from Other M as a special move or something. It's definitely more unique than any down B or side B move I've seen in other Ridley movesets, no matter how they were to execute it in Smash. Could be either a reflector move or something that makes him temporarily immune to most/all projectiles while gaining a little more speed and strength like in Other M.
I can't really see Ridley using some sort of reflector. That and the tail grind should be the down B.

For what it was worth, I liked that voice better than her Brawl one, as it sounded closer to what I imagined her sounding like. As for the heels, it's Team Ninja, what do you expect? They probably would've done a lot more with her were it not for Sakamoto, lol.
Brawl's voice for Samus was weird, but Jessica Martin was still irritating. Jennifer Hale from Prime would be my pick. And Sakamoto probably had a hand in those heels. He's stated that he made Samus his ideal woman in Other M. Unfortunately.

I liked the spikes personally, but I'm with you on disliking the face, though the head makes him look more like the pterodactyl pterosaur he was mostly based off of, rather than a duck.
I thought his old head more closely resembled a pterosaur with his large eyes and much more slender face.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of like oversexualized stylization. It's a fantasy game

Top Bottom