• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
Two things to note:

-Ridley actually changes affiliations as people attack him.
This reaffirms the "Ridley follows the strongest side" point I've made.

-Ridley actually attacks at his "partners". The "affiliation" thing just means his "partner" doesn't take damage.
You're not getting him to fight alongside you; you're gaining an immunity from his assault.
That is pretty disappointing actually. I thought he was a bit better then yellow devil.

Shog

Smash Ace
AAAH RIDLEY IS SO AWESOME DESIGNED
ehem.
Guys.
Guys

Maybe there is an event match where Ridley is always on your side or against you.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Considering we've got Mewtwo as DLC coming, I'm not willing to take anyone off the table 'til they show us more of what they have planned for DLC.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
New footage of Ridley in Pyrosphere, for those who are interested:

Interesting: His flight patterns don't appear to be the same the shadow wears as in the direct.
Most likely this means that Ridley was very early in development at the time of the April direct, and they changed his movement later.

AAAH RIDLEY IS SO AWESOME DESIGNED
ehem.
Guys.
Guys

Maybe there is an event match where Ridley is always on your side or against you.
I got an idea! How about an event smash base on fight all the boss enemies in a roll? And make Ridley the last boss in the match or second to the last as homages to metroid history.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
Looking through those comments disgusts me, people are still taking the Mick out of Ridley fans can we not Just end this I mean Good grief

The Smash community annoys me sometimes.....(well the hating side of it anyway)
Yeah, I'm just avoiding YouTube videos involving Ridley now. Intelligent YT comments are a rare breed to begin with, and then when you get a controversial gaming subject on a video... yeah. Ridley has always been flying troll bait, and it's truer now than it's ever been.

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Also question that no one answered yet; Why is it Sakurai's fault that he says "Other bosses will appear as well" HINTS AT/SHOWS Ridley right after saying that, and now he's a bad guy because Ridley is a stage boss? He didn't tease anyone, you guys tricked yourselves, now deal with it, he deserves no hate from you all.

Now Chrom supporters, they should feel cheated, he actually had a chance.
So what did you gain, again? Was your purpose here to make us look like the lowest of the low, then force us to give up in what we believe in? Some of us have been bullied and labeled just for who we want, and we believe Ridley's inclusion wil bring some kind of justice.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
So what did you gain, again? Was your purpose here to make us look like the lowest of the low, then force us to give up in what we believe in? Some of us have been bullied and labeled just for who we want, and we believe Ridley's inclusion wil bring some kind of justice.
No I think that at least half of the Ridley supporters are mad at Sakurai and he did nothing wrong, he made us a wonderful game, again.

?????????????

Smash Master
No I think that at least half of the Ridley supporters are mad at Sakurai and he did nothing wrong, he made us a wonderful game, again.
Then you're assuming that character support and feelings towards Sakurai are hand-in-hand. That's not the case, not for everyone at least. I'm a Rildey supporter, I play the hell out of Smash 3DS, and I have Smash Wii U pre-ordered.

In any case, it's none of your business. Some people really are a fan of a certain character or certain game, and that prospect was what interested them in Super Smash Bros. Some people, such as myself, are more interested in Super Smash Bros. itself. But that doesn't mean one side is right or wrong.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
This. This so much.

I really have to wonder why people feel the need to go kick Ridley supporters in the face. What the eff did we do to the rest of you? The only thing we did was support a character we love, believe in, and want to play as. Compare that to the overwhelming majority of detractors, whose only cause for being malicious trolls is just wanting so desperately to be right. They gained nothing from being right other than being able to lord their unholy superiority complexes over others. Worse yet, many of them take advantage of their cruel bragging rights under the guise of caring about us getting our hopes up. Everywhere I go, someone's crying "LOL DENIAL." Well why in the mother of F*CK do you care?! Big freaking deal if someone believes in Ridley more than you! In what line of logic does that suddenly give you the right to be a gigantic prick? There was room for reasonable doubt regarding potential disconfirmations and our ideas turned out to be wrong. So... why do you care? That's not a rhetorical question anymore. I really want to know. I'm legitimately curious.

Tl;dr: GIFT seems to be in full effect.

^^ Once again, most or us aren't lambasting Sakurai or the game as a whole. At most, we're scrutinizing the extremely questionable manner in which he handled this. Don't feel the need to generalize by accusing all of us of being that myopic.

Last edited:

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
I supported Ridley, and still do, but I am perfectly okay with Ridley being a boss as I, and many others, have said in previous posts in this thread. Sure some may not be happy, but a lot of us are, so we must be the better half of the supporters.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
A final thought:

It's okay to be upset that you didn't get what you want and no random apologetic or defender of Sakurai's character should make you feel worse about it. I really wanted Ridley to be playable and god dammit I still do. Please don't polarize your stance on how good or appropriate a Ridley supporter you are compared to other Ridley supporters, what good does that do anyone? Feel how you want to feel.

That being said,

Those who say you should enjoy the game despite Ridley's absence aren't wrong. The graphics look Foooine and it has the GameCube controller coming back and 8 player smash and more stages and music and new modes and all the hoo haa's coming at us in November.. This is definitely the fullest version of smash we have ever gotten.

In short:
WHEREDAFUQISPLAYABLERIDLEYSAKURAIIIIIII???

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't much moderation here as promised. If it where so we would be spending less time dealing with being shamed for our feelings on the situation and more time... I dunno just enjoying this community. Anyone got any artwork or something? I'm not in the mood to draw.

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit surprised that there wasn't much moderation here as promised. If it where so we would be spending less time dealing with being shamed for our feelings on the situation and more time... I dunno just enjoying this community. Anyone got any artwork or something? I'm not in the mood to draw.

This is where the Forgotten All-Star Alliance Ridley thread would come in... IF it wasn't closed. *glare* So basically we have no refuge.

I wonder if this is how it anything like how it felt to support racial equality in the Jim Crow era. Of course you don't have to deal with immense physical torment on the Internet, but I wonder if we're getting a similar grueling experience emotionally.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist

Well, by now, you should have a certain place to hang out, if you will. So see you there, and just let this place stay corrupted. I appreciate what IsmaR and the other mods considered for us but people just don't care about others anymore. At least not to be friendly.

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
This is where the Forgotten All-Star Alliance Ridley thread would come in... IF it wasn't closed. *glare* So basically we have no refuge.

I wonder if this is how it anything like how it felt to support racial equality in the Jim Crow era. Of course you don't have to deal with immense physical torment on the Internet, but I wonder if we're getting a similar grueling experience emotionally.
All Star Alliance what? Is that where everyone was during that period before the direct?
Well, I wouldn't think so. While we are bullied often, we have to live with the fear of being lynched.

Well, by now, you should have a certain place to hang out, if you will. So see you there, and just let this place stay corrupted. I appreciate what IsmaR and the other mods considered for us but people just don't care about others anymore. At least not to be friendly.
Ah well, anybody considered making a forum?

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Alright, it is just that your wording seemed rather harsh in your last quote for me that I couldn't ignore. I do share the same mindset that least half is definately acting ungrateful, and not looking at all these positives that add up to dwarf Ridley. The only excuse I believe they have for being pessemistic is the fact they've had to endure 14 years of being a joke, and their failure in the Smash 4 speculation has done the most damage to their reputation. I can't lie, I did have a small scene with the 3DS full roster reveal, but seeing I already got four of my faves, MK, Pitoo, Lucario, and Jr., I really had no excuse to stay mad... That, and I'm not a grudgeful person.

Though I do have to admit, any word I hear against the Ridley fans has felt like a mental scar, and none of them go away. The internet has become a place where no one can respect each other's opinion, and while I can't change that with the whole internet, I certainly wanna change it with the Smash community. The Ridley fans dared to speculate in their darkest days, and people called them "in denial!" Is speculating really considered denial when there really are some holes like translations that are vague enough to be intepreted as something else? From my experience, any character can be possible as long as you make your voice heard, and that there is no true superior opinion when it comes to a character's chances. Many thought characters like Rosalina, Little Mac, and PAC-MAN would never happen because of our limmited knowledge about them in the past; think of how dumb they must've felt when they were revealed.

Now its perfectly alright to have an opinion about a character, as long as you aren't aggressive about it. That's the big red flag; most people who detract against a character do so with harsh propaganda, and saying stuff like "that character's stupid" or "give up that wet dream of yours, CUZ IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN!" Last thing you should do is give up on a character you want, no matter how long you have to wait; persistancy rewards when you have faith and a good sport. You should never have to be ashamed of who you want, or fear someone will talk you down like you don't know any better. It is, however, a responsibility that you don't act cocky until the character you want is confirmed; all in keeping a healthy image of your fanbase. The prejudice against Ridley and his fans is one reason I became a supporter. They deserve a fair trial by actually giving giving him a chance; no mods, no background story of the fanbase. A golden chance for redemption, if you ask me.

I feel the Ridley fanbase prejudice is a perfect example of how the Smash community should not be like: bullying and labeling fans for who they want. Besides, annoying fanbases like Mewtwo's have gotten their character confirmed, so it does prove a character's chances aren't based on the fan's actions. Still...try to keep a healthy image of your fanbase. Where I'm getting at is that I wanna make a future for Smash where all opinions are civil, equal, and respectable. I really wish it wasn't that hard for everyone to just get along...but no. Something as minor as personality, relevancy, and size had to seperate the community into warring countries. I hope you can see where I'm getting at for this future.

Christ, almighty! Didn't know 'till now I'm such a wordy guy. O o

Now everyone on this thread shall like my post! MUAHAHAHAHA!!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
All Star Alliance what? Is that where everyone was during that period before the direct?
Well, I wouldn't think so. While we are bullied often, we have to live with the fear of being lynched.

Ah well, anybody considered making a forum?
Sadly, though the group we have before was pretty private, it still was closed for "irrelevance" do to Roidley being a boss. And I doubt we could do it again, as I'm pretty sure everyone hates us. And for what I care, let them. I don't care anymore about them. Let them generalize us, as it means nothing. If we make something here, I'm sure non RIdley supporters and blatant detractors will fine it and corrupt it too.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
No offence to Ridley fans but Ridley looks like the best stage boss in smash history...
I know most of us do agree and really appreciate that Ridley is basically the best boss ever in Smash and that is something special for us at least. But at least he is getting closer and closer to be possibly playable, no matter how much you might think it's not. And this isn't toward you though, just to the general public.

Last edited:

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for you guys: Would you have rather have Ridley revealed when Pyrosphere was shown off in August last year or during the Smash Bros Wii U Direct?

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
No offence to Ridley fans but Ridley looks like the best stage boss in smash history...
That's not an offensive remark at all. Those who believe Ridley's chances are absolutely done and wanted him playable can agree that this is the best stage element Smash has ever had.

But still. We're so close. Just a little more, and we'll have our dream fully realized...

?????????????

Smash Master
I have a question for you guys: Would you have rather have Ridley revealed when Pyrosphere was shown off in August last year or during the Smash Bros Wii U Direct?
Ridley may be the best stage element ever, but he's still just a stage element. I wish he would have been revealed sooner than being built up as a big mystery. What was the point of showing just his shadow and referring to him as "another boss character" when you could have just shown him as Ridley?

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
Ridley may be the best stage element ever, but he's still just a stage element. I wish he would have been revealed sooner than being built up as a big mystery. What was the point of showing just his shadow and referring to him as "another boss character" when you could have just shown him as Ridley?
This. Sakurai should know that popular character requests will only satisfy their fans if said characters are fully playable. He should've said from the beginning "he won't be playable, but I can't show you his role on the stage since we're still working on it" if he completely had Ridley ruled out as playable. Once again, the way he handled Ridley is inconsistent with the way he fully debunked other popular characters. He should know that swift and brutal is better than drawing it out. He and Nintendo would have to be sorely out of touch with the fandom if Ridley is going to be a stage element and not playable DLC. Based on the other actions that he's made over the course of this game's development, we know that they're listening to fans.

On the surface, Ridley looks dead. But Ridley never stays dead in canon, don't you know upon thinking it through, the pieces still do not fit together.

I could be wrong. This could easily be explained with "Sakurai tried to make him playable but couldn't because X" or "he just didn't make the right judgment in how to handle it" or some other extraneous reason unknown to us. But based on this logical ground that leaves room for reasonable doubt, I cannot believe that he is 100% disconfirmed.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Totally in April. Through the feeling might be similar to now, everyone (mostly I guess from both sides), would have settled with what we got sooner and this hate around right now wouldn't be so great.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
In April, alongside with Pyrosphere. With a clever teasing that would make us think about how he would attack and why he is unique compared to other bosses.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So, I noticed Other M Ridley is the stage boss, but they mentioned Meta Ridley as his transformation. Did, Meta Ridley show up in Other M? :?
Also, it is interesting how character like he acts for a stage boss. But then, we can only compare his actions to Yellow Devil and Xenoblade thing.

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
So, I noticed Other M Ridley is the stage boss, but they mentioned Meta Ridley as his transformation. Did, Meta Ridley show up in Other M?.
Nope. From what I understand they kinda treat Smash 4 Ridley as mix of Other M/regular Ridley (he even has his stock icon as regular Ridley).

Top Bottom