• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I enjoyed my last Other M playthough. Sure, it's no Super Metroid, but it's still enjoyable. Even though Anthony Higgs was the best part of the game THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S BAD! I mean, Anthony Higgs could make any game much better. Even Smash.

D

Deleted member

I know this guy that works at Nintendo.
He said that Sakurai told him Ridley would be on-disk DLC.
And he was in his "Little Birdie" form with no evolution. This is because Sakurai said Ridley is too big.
His Final Smash is the big scary dragon state you all know and love, and he's bigger than Giga Bowser.

D

Deleted member

I also heard that Simon Strange (lead developer of the Atari/Pipeworks Godzilla fighting games) is thinking about asking Nintendo to use Ridley in the Kaiju Combat game he is making. His line of thought is "if Ridley is too big for Smash Bros., he should fit in just fine here". :troll:

EDIT: Though in all seriousness, as tough as Ridley is, Godzilla would have an easier time with him than his own American counterpart.

(Flipped for copyright reasons)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well, ridley or not, im still buying SSB4, and every smash game after it. (unless there is like a smash bros in the 2100's, then I would probably be dead)

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
well, ridley or not, im still buying SSB4, and every smash game after it. (unless there is like a smash bros in the 2100's, then I would probably be dead)
Idk... If Nintendo starts treating Smash like Activision treats Call of Duty you'll probably see smashbros 100.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
How do you guys think of ridley in story mode. I picture him as sort of an anti-hero. kinda attacking people on both sides.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How do you guys think of ridley in story mode. I picture him as sort of an anti-hero. kinda attacking people on both sides.
He would be right up there with Ganondorf in the "pure evil" catagory.

Ridley has never done a good thing. Why start now?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think if he's in story his alliance will be like Ganondorf's, only joining you for revenge against the true villain.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think if he's in story his alliance will be like Ganondorf's, only joining you for revenge against the true villain.
Revenge against Tabuu or somethin like him? Huh, I'd like that.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't think dialogue was much of a reason, considering Samus herself was still playing the typical silent protagonist at the time, and out of the trilogy, Prime 2 was the one that easily felt the least Metroid-y, with both the Metroids and Space Pirates taking a back seat in the game, while the main enemies were some little dark buggers that took over other organisms, not that it was bad.
As a fan of the entire Trilogy, it wasn't the dialogue that made the game weaker than it's predecessors -- it was the hand holding. In the first two games, you had to explore the world to find what Samus needed to do; exploring caves and randomly stumbling upon new areas that became accessible. If the player got stuck too long, the ship computer would send out a hint that would point where to go. Echoes kind of deviated in laying out a more formulaic way to access the different area of Aether, but it still had that element of exploration. Corruption took away from that by making the game progression completely linear by having everything Samus does as part of some objective. There is no exploring, there is no trial and error, no back tracking, only hand holding on the part of the developers trying to make the game more accessible to a wider audience, yet alienating the fanbase that loved the series for the reason they tried to fix. Instead of having one large interconnected planet to explore the developers gave players three separate micro worlds with the only connecting pieces between them oddball objectives thrown in to try and further push the narrative.

Corruption wasn't bad, it was just disjointed. I get what they were trying to do in making the game more focused in hopes of attracting the then populace Wii audience, but they did a real disservice to fans of the series. Losing key contributors from the first two games probably did not help any, and it certainly did not help that the Phazon gameplay gimmick dumbed the gameplay down. The game tried too hard to be appeal to everyone, and in the end did not live up to the expectations that they themselves had set.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
After the completion of each game of the Metroid Prime series, there was an exodus of some staff members of Retro Studios. I think that may also be a part of why each Prime game was weaker than the last. There was a particularly large exodus after the completion of Prime 3, which makes me nervous about how a Wii U Metroid by Retro Studios now would turn out.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wouldn't it be boring just to do the same thing in the story again?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aw. C'mon. I'm sure it will be awesome!

bobadz

Smash Ace
I just beat Other M for the first time.

Other then Samus's characterization, Adam, and the Ridley twist, my main complaint with the story was the deleter subplot. Seriously why was that their?

Other then that it was okay.

EDIT: Though in all seriousness, as tough as Ridley is, Godzilla would have an easier time with him than his own American counterpart.

(Flipped for copyright reasons)
what's the song name?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently America is trying it's hand at round 2 with Godzilla

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As a fan of the entire Trilogy, it wasn't the dialogue that made the game weaker than it's predecessors -- it was the hand holding. In the first two games, you had to explore the world to find what Samus needed to do; exploring caves and randomly stumbling upon new areas that became accessible. If the player got stuck too long, the ship computer would send out a hint that would point where to go. Echoes kind of deviated in laying out a more formulaic way to access the different area of Aether, but it still had that element of exploration. Corruption took away from that by making the game progression completely linear by having everything Samus does as part of some objective. There is no exploring, there is no trial and error, no back tracking, only hand holding on the part of the developers trying to make the game more accessible to a wider audience, yet alienating the fanbase that loved the series for the reason they tried to fix. Instead of having one large interconnected planet to explore the developers gave players three separate micro worlds with the only connecting pieces between them oddball objectives thrown in to try and further push the narrative.

Corruption wasn't bad, it was just disjointed. I get what they were trying to do in making the game more focused in hopes of attracting the then populace Wii audience, but they did a real disservice to fans of the series. Losing key contributors from the first two games probably did not help any, and it certainly did not help that the Phazon gameplay gimmick dumbed the gameplay down. The game tried too hard to be appeal to everyone, and in the end did not live up to the expectations that they themselves had set.
I'll give you that on the hand holding, though only because of the annoying Aurora Unit. As a fan of Metroid Fusion though (favorite of the sidescrollers besides Super), I didn't mind the linearity in at least one game out of the trilogy, and if one was to 100% Prime 3, I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say there was no exploration or backtracking. You had the optional side quests of going back for all the energy cells and then the usual collectables, so I had as much time invested in it as the other games, in addition to the replay value provided by those tokens for doing other extra things. As for trial and error, that's kind of what hyper mode was, as it could kill you depending on how you used it... And did you really expect Prime 3's planets to have as much content as Prime 1's Tallon IV or Prime 2's Aether? If they were to have that it would've been too much space for one Wii disc methinks, or just too long a game for a Metroid title. You expected too much if that was the case, but I enjoyed the different type of variety by having those different planets in one game, with the exception of planet Phaaze since it was just a race against time to stop Dark Samus before the corruption fully spread.

Yeah, the Phazon gameplay is gimmicky, though I could say the same about Prime 2's dark/light gimmick. Fair enough on the other gripes though. Some of the said gripes just come with the territory when it comes to a majority of Wii titles, which makes me wonder how Prime 3 would've been if it was originally on the Gamecube like the first two.

After the completion of each game of the Metroid Prime series, there was an exodus of some staff members of Retro Studios. I think that may also be a part of why each Prime game was weaker than the last. There was a particularly large exodus after the completion of Prime 3, which makes me nervous about how a Wii U Metroid by Retro Studios now would turn out.
There was actually an exodus of some staff during the production of them as well, or at least with the first Prime, which was why Kraid didn't make the final cut in the game even though he had very well-done concept art by one of the guys who left the studio first.

Wouldn't it be boring just to do the same thing in the story again?
What, with the Phazon crisis? Depends on how much or how little one liked it to begin with, I guess.

I just beat Other M for the first time.

Other then Samus's characterization, Adam, and the Ridley twist, my main complaint with the story was the deleter subplot. Seriously why was that their?

Other than that it was okay.
The deleter subplot was just something the game left for the player to figure out via process of elimination.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll give you that on the hand holding, though only because of the annoying Aurora Unit. As a fan of Metroid Fusion though (favorite of the sidescrollers besides Super), I didn't mind the linearity in at least one game out of the trilogy, and if one was to 100% Prime 3, I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say there was no exploration or backtracking. You had the optional side quests of going back for all the energy cells and then the usual collectables, so I had as much time invested in it as the other games, in addition to the replay value provided by those tokens for doing other extra things. As for trial and error, that's kind of what hyper mode was, as it could kill you depending on how you used it... And did you really expect Prime 3's planets to have as much content as Prime 1's Tallon IV or Prime 2's Aether? If they were to have that it would've been too much space for one Wii disc methinks, or just too long a game for a Metroid title. You expected too much if that was the case, but I enjoyed the different type of variety by having those different planets in one game, with the exception of planet Phaaze since it was just a race against time to stop Dark Samus before the corruption fully spread.
You're right, it isn't as though there wasn't that element of exploration, but compared to the first two titles it wasn't nearly as prevalent. As far as the three planets are concerned, it wasn't that I was expecting them to be as large as Tallon IV or Aether, my problem is they didn't feel connected. I understand what they were trying to do splitting the environment up, but it just felt disjointed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Can you guys imagine a metroid on the Wii U? Scanning with the controller? Controlling the ship with it? Not having to pause to see the map?

I'd love it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Can you guys imagine a metroid on the Wii U? Scanning with the controller? Controlling the ship with it? Not having to pause to see the map?

I'd love it.
needs an online multiplayer. a FPS nintendo exclusive should bring in a lot of people.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I'd love it.
Since you mentioned the ship, Prime 3 was actually a good start at giving it more of a role than ever before, like with the ship missiles and ship grapple, not to mention it was amusing seeing how much of a beating it could take from Ghor. Hope to see the ship implemented more into gameplay like that in the future, as it's one of the things that would make Samus feel more like a bounty hunter.

@ Star: Didn't think about the lack of connectivity with the different planets in the game, but I guess you got a point there, and no argument here on the other stuff. I just remember when Prime 3 was hyped before release, some were expecting the planets to be as big as Tallon IV and Aether, so that's why I asked.

As for that picture, I reckon it's how planet Norion on Prime 3 would've been if you got to explore it more, with the forest environments. Wouldn't mind seeing the Nova Beam again too, especially if in a game where you can switch between the beams instead of having the stacking system. With how well switching worked in the first two games, I don't get why they made 'em stackable in Prime 3. I know stacking can work wonders in the sidescrollers, but Prime 3... didn't really need it.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Actually I heard the reason why the original prime turned out so good, was because Miyamoto kept telling retro there game kept needing to redone. That's why several members of retro left after prime was done.

Anthony killed the deleter. :ankoku:
More like Sakamoto had no idea where to go with this plot line.

Top Bottom