• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ridley looks so much like a skeleton, a white and red/ black theme might fit him well

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those are really great, MSG! I like the green one in particular.

Also, just wondering, it looks like you made a few other recolors, too. Do you mind giving a list of who you made?

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Those are great; nice game art references. My Ridley swaps still require some editing. My laptop is out of order at the moment, so I can't fix them right now. :(

:phone:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I love the Black one. I want Ridley in now JUST for a hope of a black recolor.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Stumbled upon this place again when I was looking at some of my old archives some weeks ago and just thought I'd let it be known that I've have had my eye kept on this and a few other topics since then (Oasis, y u not let me know of this thread's existence beforehand?).. Good to see some familiar users again, as well as others I don't know of or remember.

Really love the red and black skin too, and though I doubt this would happen, it would be kinda cool if one of the recolored skins had those neon-green looking wings that you see on the Ridley statue in Nintendo Land...

And while I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere on the site, still wouldn't hurt to point out that Ridley could still use some more votes on this page/poll.

http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-quarterfinals/

See you guys around.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah, that polls been posted a whole bunch of places. And damn, N's votes just shot straight into the stratosphere. At least someone caught up to Waluigi.

But anyway, the thing about that poll is that 4chan decided they would spam votes for Waluigi and write-ins for Dunsparce.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Huh, I did feel the dark side of the force was somewhere in the works when it came to the number of votes Waluigi had. Guess I wasn't too far off. N's popularity there did seem pretty random, but I guess he's not as bad as other possible Pokemon choices.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I blame the shoutbox for both then.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its good to see Ridley_Prime here. He is a Ridley supporter that has been around even before Brawl was announced. I am pretty much one of the original Ridley supporters for Smash Bros. (I have had desires to see Ridley playable ever since I saw him flying in the background for Planet Zebes in Smash 64). However, at that point I did not think Ridley was a realistic prospect for Smash Bros. due to the Metroid series being on hiatus at the time, but all of that changed with Ridley being shown off in the E3 2001 Melee trailer.

In unrelated news....

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...to-see-in-the-next-super-smash-bros/#readmore

We have the fools at G4 saying Ridley would not work in Smash Bros. because he is too big and he would have to be shrunk down. I am pretty sure that 95% of Ridley and Metroid fans would love to have Ridley playable in Smash Bros. and have no qualm with him being shrunk down.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah it's almost like people are oblivious to Bowser's constant size adjustments. If Bowser can be resized, Ridley is no different.
what makes a smaller Ridley look more strange for some people would be the fact that he keeps a more consistent size in the Metroid series, unlike Bowser, who in the Mario Kart series is more or less the same size as DK, the same happening in SSB, but in other games, like Super Mario 64, he is quite big, not to mention Bowser's colossal size in Super Mario Sunshine.

the fact that he battled more on ground in his battle in Metroid: Other M helps his chances for SSB4. I'd like to see him, but the size issue is quite notable.

Olimar doesn't look wierd as his size in Brawl, because it has to do with his relative size to the camera. from the camera's prespective, Olimar in Pikmin and in Brawl has the same size. this cannot be applied to Ridley. even Pikachu and Charizard don't seem off, because of the same reason as Olimar. this can be a little confusing to explain, but I hope you get the idea.

while Ridley being shrunk for Smash would look weird for some people, that does NOT stop him from being in a Smash Bros. game as a playable character.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...to-see-in-the-next-super-smash-bros/#readmore

We have the fools at G4 saying Ridley would not work in Smash Bros. because he is too big and he would have to be shrunk down. I am pretty sure that 95% of Ridley and Metroid fans would love to have Ridley playable in Smash Bros. and have no qualm with him being shrunk down.
To be fair, they're not saying he wouldn't work, but that it wouldn't be fun for them to play as a shrunken Ridley because they want a full-size Ridley. Nevertheless, I don't see the problem with shrinking down Ridley is it means he can be playable.

D

Deleted member

There are size inconsistancies galore in Smash.
One more isn't going to kill people.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Good reference, but the classic Ridley did look quite unusual. Anyway, I would think that the image below would be enough to settle the whole size debate.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
It's just hard to imagine controlling a mindless monster.
But it's that very ruthlessness that makes me want him in SM4SH all the more.
It's just that, when ya think about it, this would be the first time controlling a character who
doesn't understand speech.
(I'm pretty sure Pokemon know what were saiying)

D

Deleted member

Err...not only is Ridley NOT a mindless monster (intelligent and cunning), but he has spoken before in the canon e-manga. He most likely doesn't in the games because he has only one thing in mind when we see him: Kill Samus.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Its good to see Ridley_Prime here. He is a Ridley supporter that has been around even before Brawl was announced. I am pretty much one of the original Ridley supporters for Smash Bros. (I have had desires to see Ridley playable ever since I saw him flying in the background for Planet Zebes in Smash 64). However, at that point I did not think Ridley was a realistic prospect for Smash Bros. due to the Metroid series being on hiatus at the time, but all of that changed with Ridley being shown off in the E3 2001 Melee trailer.

In unrelated news....

Thanks. Been good seeing you and everyone here again too.

What that guy said in that G4 link is nothing compared to the article this other dude made earlier in lowballing Ridley. His argument basically got destroyed in the comments though, so no one need lift a finger.

http://vaztor.blogspot.com/2011/10/super-smash-bros-wii-u-meet-ridley.html

As for 95% of Metroid fans wanting to see Rids playable, I don't know. That's kind of debatable... I was surprised (in a disappointed way) for instance when I came across this thread on the Metroid Database forums, one of the biggest sites for Metroid fans everywhere.

http://metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2298

That thread and some others made me reconsider in making an account there sadly. I knew I could easily tear their size arguments to shreds if I had joined, but decided they weren't really worth going out of my way for.

YUP. IT'LL WORK. The endless debate had now been ended :]

It's not even a matter of "Re-Sizing" anymore! Just make Ridley "Classic Sized" c:
To be fair, Zero Mission as a remake retcons practically everything about the original Metroid, which is why I don't really find it reliable in countering the size arguments used against Ridley. Otherwise we could say that even Kraid could be playable if we were to go by the NES game.

But Smash Bros isn't canon to Nintendo's universes to begin with, so it's not like they would have to go by Ridley's current canon size if they were to make him playable anyway.

Err...not only is Ridley NOT a mindless monster (intelligent and cunning), but he has spoken before in the canon e-manga. He most likely doesn't in the games because he has only one thing in mind when we see him: Kill Samus.
That, or he and the Space Pirates (as well as Dark Samus) don't appear talking to Samus in the games because the sounds they make in-game are their own Pirate/alien language, translated for the reader's benefit in the manga and comics.

I have admittedly wanted to see a talking Ridley we could understand in a future Metroid game ever since the manga, but after Other M and the throwbacks it had to the manga itself with the commonly hated Ridley scene in the geothermal power plant, I don't think that's gonna happen at this point, not even in speech bubbles.

D

Deleted member

Lol, I remember that blog. :laugh:

I was the guy that made the walls of text in the comments!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
the fact that he battled more on ground in his battle in Metroid: Other M helps his chances for SSB4. I'd like to see him, but the size issue is quite notable.
I know you're not arguing against him, but that doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's so baffling to see some people say "Ridley can't be playable because he flies all the time." WE HAVE THREE EXAMPLES OF HOW SAKURAI HANDLES FLYING CHARACTERS ALREADY, ARE YOU BLIND. LOOK AT THOSE LEGS. WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY ARE THERE FOR.

Being obsessed with knowing heights like I am, I've made estimates (not like I'm carrying myself as an authority here, lol) that Ridley's height has been within a range of 10 feet over his appearances. So it's not that Ridley's height is consistent, it's just that he's CONSISTENTLY LARGE that throws people off. Height is a product of necessity, and Ridley has always needed to be large because he's always a boss. If he were in Smash as a playable character, then that necessity would change. He'll still be a big character, but he'll be sized appropriately relative to everyone else.

...It would be cool if they gave Ridley a victory taunt at the end of a match where he speaks, much like Mewtwo~ BUT I'M FINE WITH "SKRAWH SKRAWH" TOO.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Lol, I remember that blog. :laugh:

I was the guy that made the walls of text in the comments!
Nice, props to you then.

And I think a simple SSBM Mewtwo-like laugh would do fine enough as a victory taunt, assuming that's what you meant Oasis.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I like how some are saying a playable boss mode is the only way Ridley could be playable in the Big Bosses of Smash thread, and that it'd be the only way to shut his supporters up. Would be funnily ironic though if it came down to that after all this time. :u

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's not like that poll really means anything.

Being a Ridley supporter is the easiest thing in the world. EFFORTLESS.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
At least he surpassed K. Rool in votes, but of course Shulk would get one of the highest amounts now (currently the highest).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's pretty nice. By any chance, can you show him next to someone else so we can get a judgement of scale? Just wondering. I really do like it.

Top Bottom