• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Still holding out hope for more characters, but the All-Star pic makes it hard to think Ridley could be in.

All the "missing" characters from that pic can be justified to be missing.

Duck Hunt is from 1984. ROB released before Super Mario Bros in 1985. Kid Icarus released after Metroid in 1986.

The possibilities are these:

1. Characters in All-Star mode are shown grouped by game. Since Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1985 and 1986, that's the time period it shows. Ridley not being shown means he's not playable.
    1. When you defeat the characters from a game, the next game shows. So when you defeat Peach and Bowser, the characters shift, and Pit and Palutena will show at the bottom.
    2. When you defeat all shown, the next set of characters shows. That would mean Pit, Palutena, Marth. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and/or Captain Falcon (Yoshi and Capt Falcon debuted on the same day) are next.
  2. Only five characters are ever shown in All-Star mode.
    1. Characters rotate singly. After Peach is defeated, the portraits shift and then either Ridley (if he's in) or Pit appears at the bottom right.
    2. Characters rotate in sets of five. This is not possible since there are not ten characters to precede Peach.
Possibility 1.1 seems most likely. 1.2 seems problematic since there are only seven to show before Peach, meaning either a set of four and then three, or one set of seven, neither of which seems ideal. 2.1 is possible, but seems less likely than 1.1. 2.2 doesn't work.

Ridley's only chance is if it works as in 2.1

If it's 1.1 or 2.1, then the roster leak would imply this ordering: (Characters on the same line debuted simultaneously and so have flexible ordering):

Apr 1980 Mr. Game & Watch
May 1980 Pac-Man
Jul 1981 Mario, Donkey Kong
Jul 1983 Luigi
Feb 1984 Little Mac*
Apr 1984 Duck Hunt
Jul 1985 R.O.B.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Screen shot shows:
||| Sep 1985 Peach
||| Sep 1985 Bowser
||| Feb 1986 Link
||| Feb 1986 Zelda
||| Aug 1986 Samus
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Dec 1986 Pit, Palutena
Dec 1987 Mega Man
Jul 1989 Ness*
Apr 1990 Marth
Jul 1990 Dr. Mario
Nov 1990 Yoshi**, Captain Falcon (separate launch titles)
Jul 1991 Sonic
Apr 1992 Kirby, King Dedede
Oct 1992 Wario*
Feb 1993 Fox, Falco
Mar 1993 Meta Knight
Jan 1994 Wario*
Nov 1994 Diddy Kong
Feb 1996 Charizard, Pikachu, Jigglypuff
Nov 1998 Sheik, Ganondorf
Apr 2001 Villager
Oct 2001 Olimar
Jul 2002 Bowser Jr
Dec 2002 Toon Link
Feb 2004 Zero-Suit Samus***
Apr 2005 Ike
Dec 2006 Mii Fighters
Nov 2007 Rosalina
Dec 2007 Wii Fit Trainer
Jun 2010 Shulk
Mar 2012 Dark Pit
Apr 2012 Robin, Lucina
Oct 2013 Greninja

*Brawl used series debut, while the screen shot implies this is based on character debut. Little Mac debuted in Oct 1987, Wario in Oct 1992, and Ness in Aug 1994 . But Punch-Out debuted in 1983, Wario Land in 1994 and Mother in 1989. The order of the leaked roster would imply he's using the earlier dates for Little Mac and Ness, since Little Mac appears before Duck Hunt and Ness appears before Captain Falcon. Wario's placement is thus unclear since his CSS placement is based on him being a Mario spin-off rather than his debut date.

**Unlike Wario, in Brawl, Yoshi's placement in All-Star mode was based on character debut rather than series debut. Deciding which game counts as Yoshi's "series debut" would be complicated since his first starring role was in a Mario-branded game.

***Zero-Suit Samus could be argued to debut in Aug 1986, since the Justin Bailey code allows you to play as Samus without the Power Suit. However, Justin Bailey Samus has a different design and the same abilities as Power Suit Samus, lacking the signature features of ZSS. Sakurai could justify either placement however. ZSS being placed in 1986 only works with the 2.1 variation.
Im afraid we are getting close to that moment, when it finally hit us...

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Can someone explain why there are so many people in this thread right now? I don't get it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ok, confession time. I want to tell you all the main reason why I support Ridley for ssb4. I'll put it in spoilers because it might not be a story a lot of people want to know.

Yeah, I think Ridley is cool, and deserves it and all that, but the reason I want him in is more for my brother. He was dead set that Ridley was going to be in brawl, and at the time I was a toobiggot. The last time I ever talked to him, he told me Ridley would definately be in brawl, and I laughed at him and said it would never happen. He then told me "we'll see." and then he left in the car and died in a crash. Later on, I was diagnosed with a disease called Pemphigus. It's not one most people have heard of, so look it up if you must, but I warn you it is fairly disturbing. You all can just say "well, let's just hope he's in smash 5" if he gets deconfirmed, but I will never get to play smash 5. I'll be lucky if I make it to next summer. When this thread convinced me Ridley was viable, I decided I wanted him in for my brother. He never got to see Ridley in smash, and died believing he was already in, and that being the last thing we talked about, I want to see Ridley in smash before I go as well. Ridley in smash isn't a joke to me. That's why I hate smug detractors who simply laugh at the idea and move on, becuase that's the last thing I did with my brother. I laughed and moved on, and it hurts to see others making the same mistake. It's why I hate stupid memes making fun of Ridley fans, why I hate all these tricks and mindgames, and why he is my most wanted character in smash. I want to make sure he's in so I can tell my brother he was right in the afterlife. This is all I want from smash bros. 4. Think of it as a final request of sorts. Here's hoping he finally makes it this time.
Stop making me cry :(

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I'm so late Okay guys, a while ago I came back from class tired as heck, went to sleep after checking a few messages. I woke up a short while ago and WOAH this is a lot to take in. Never knew there was going to be a direct. Didn't know Shulk was revealed (Looks amazing BTW)

Ok, confession time. I want to tell you all the main reason why I support Ridley for ssb4. I'll put it in spoilers because it might not be a story a lot of people want to know.

Yeah, I think Ridley is cool, and deserves it and all that, but the reason I want him in is more for my brother. He was dead set that Ridley was going to be in brawl, and at the time I was a toobiggot. The last time I ever talked to him, he told me Ridley would definately be in brawl, and I laughed at him and said it would never happen. He then told me "we'll see." and then he left in the car and died in a crash. Later on, I was diagnosed with a disease called Pemphigus. It's not one most people have heard of, so look it up if you must, but I warn you it is fairly disturbing. You all can just say "well, let's just hope he's in smash 5" if he gets deconfirmed, but I will never get to play smash 5. I'll be lucky if I make it to next summer. When this thread convinced me Ridley was viable, I decided I wanted him in for my brother. He never got to see Ridley in smash, and died believing he was already in, and that being the last thing we talked about, I want to see Ridley in smash before I go as well. Ridley in smash isn't a joke to me. That's why I hate smug detractors who simply laugh at the idea and move on, becuase that's the last thing I did with my brother. I laughed and moved on, and it hurts to see others making the same mistake. It's why I hate stupid memes making fun of Ridley fans, why I hate all these tricks and mindgames, and why he is my most wanted character in smash. I want to make sure he's in so I can tell my brother he was right in the afterlife. This is all I want from smash bros. 4. Think of it as a final request of sorts. Here's hoping he finally makes it this time.
Sir, I have gained a ton of respect for you *salutes* *sniff* who's cutting onions in here?

Embargo? Of course. Anyways, might as well wait til the big guys themselves gives us the information.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It is showing characters from Sep 1985-Aug 1986.

It cannot be showing from Jan 1985, since ROB debuted in Jul 1985. It cannot be showing until Dec 1985, since The Legend of Zelda and Metroid released in 1986. It cannot be showing until Dec 1986, because Kid Icarus released in Dec 1986.

This is not a question of what it's showing. We know that it's only showing Peach, Bowser, Link, Zelda and Samus.

I don't know what point you're trying to make.
Usually date XXX-YYY means everything between January 1st XXX and December YYY. Not end of XXX and a bit more than half of YYY. It is a weird way of including characters if it says characters included are from 1985-1986. I didn't wanted to say that it was shown like that. I wanted to say what it should show.

Last edited:

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
What exactly is the point of having the roundtable under embargo? I mean, someone's either going to leak the video, or they don't and there was no point in having it

RIDLEY BETTER BE ANNOUNCED SOON

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Nintendo used embargo! Its not effective!

Since we know the css leak already.

Suspicious for them to be so secretive. Unless...

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
well i mean, lets be real here. back then when all we had was metroid nes, was ridley that important? didnt his popularity really rise once super metroid happened?
What does that have to do with anything?

Mario was not important in 1980. He wasn't even called Mario. Donkey Kong was the star. But Brawl uses the Donkey Kong arcade game as the Mario series debut nonetheless.

Metroid debuted in 1986 and Ridley debuted at the same time. If he's in the game, he will be placed as debuting at the same time as Samus.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Maybe they took their phones or communication devices or had like security guards with a strict no info policy.
They've probably had it with leaks and don't even want a small twitter one.
THEY'RE HIDING SOMETHING BIG
HAIL TO THE RIDLEY

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
What exactly is the point of having the roundtable under embargo? I mean, someone's either going to leak the video, or they don't and there was no point in having it

RIDLEY BETTER BE ANNOUNCED SOON
Maybe NCL ordered NoA to do it this way because you-know-who spoiled everything.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Maybe they took their phones or communication devices or had like security guards with a strict no info policy.
HAIL TO THE RIDLEY
I know i think once everybody leaves

Tweets and facebook post to the max.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Come on! I need my Ridley reveal before all my skin dies and falls off and my blood, bones, and inards spill out on the floor in a bloody mess!

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
INB4: 1 Hour later --> RIDLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY

*Insert Pterodactyl scream here* They make a direct where Ridley speaks to us, then eats our enemies and finally thanks all of us for being supporting him here.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, not all of the characters were shown in All-Stars mode in Melee mode like that. There always were 3 (4?) used. It would be unfair if there would be more than 5 characters for you to beat in 1 stock on higher difficulties anyway. Imagine having to beat ROB, Peach, Bowser, Samus, Zelda, Link, Pit, Palutena and Ridley in 1 fight with no way to reduce your % during the fight. Imagine that with you fighting 3 of them at once. It will be a nightmare.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
HAIL TO THE RIDLEY
Or you had to sign a serious NDA before going in.

That's also a possibility.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
You know what, Nintendo? Screw you. There's hyping something, there's getting people excited for something, and then there's this crap. "Our plan is to show journalists something and then not let them talk about it! That'll really get fans interested! It's genius!" What could be left to show that's so dramatically amazing that people shouldn't know about it just yet?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Or you had to sign a serious NDA before going in.

That's also a possibility.
And if you will DARE TO BRING THAT INFORMATION INTO INTERNET, YOU MUST DIE! So, follow our NDA rules and we will make your face the greatest in Nintendo. Or else you will DIE!
Fun fact: it is actually "Join me, Link, and i will make you face the greatest in Koridai! Or else you will DIE!
You know what, Nintendo? Screw you. There's hyping something, there's getting people excited for something, and then there's this crap. "Our plan is to show journalists something and then not let them talk about it! That'll really get fans interested! It's genius!" What could be left to show that's so dramatically amazing that people shouldn't know about it just yet?
Something...purple. Why is everything...purple?

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
In all fairness, I don't blame them for wanting to be secretive, given the current events.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Perhaps they are trying to avoid a similar situation to the Pacman reveal? Easily the most important of the three announced characters at E3, but with hands down the lamest reveal.

Ike the Killer

Smash Cadet
Also, not all of the characters were shown in All-Stars mode in Melee mode like that. There always were 3 (4?) used. It would be unfair if there would be more than 5 characters for you to beat in 1 stock on higher difficulties anyway. Imagine having to beat ROB, Peach, Bowser, Samus, Zelda, Link, Pit, Palutena and Ridley in 1 fight with no way to reduce your % during the fight. Imagine that with you fighting 3 of them at once. It will be a nightmare.
Ridley can take all his enemies at once! Maybe they come 1 by 1 now instead of groups, I mean like the event matches where you had to defeat them all, that way is just 1 vs 1 5 times before healing, but not 3 vs 1 and then 2 vs 1, if you now what I mean xD

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Perhaps they are trying to avoid a similar situation to the Pacman reveal? Easily the most important of the three announced characters at E3, but with hands down the lamest reveal.
I could see that
I was kinda hyped, but ya know, considering the fact that I read it through 5 words that just popped up instead of a buildup it was kinda dehyping.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
In all fairness, I don't blame them for wanting to be secretive, given the current events.
I can. This isn't a leak of information that was supposed to stay internal accidentally getting out. This is someone showing something off and then yelling "SHUSH NO TALKY!" If the leak is their excuse for this behavior, that's even worse.

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
God, Ridley is so confirmed right now.

Edit: Also, I think secret meetings are often held to get responses before a big reveal.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I think that to keep Ridley from being anticlimatically revealed, they had the signal jammed so people couldn't do info stuffs.

RampagingRidley

Smash Rookie
Maybe they aren't allowed to report about it while they're there, but once the event is over everyone is allowed to post about Ridley

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Ash from GX is being shown Ridley right now.

He wants to share it to the world but can't.

They have Fils-A-Mechs everywhere.

He has no choice.

He tries to fight the Fils-A-Mechs.

Ash is dead.

Sakurai: Now now you Westerners need to learn to seal your lips now don't you!
Sakurai: Laughs

Top Bottom